[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is ff7 worth playing?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 12

File: psdx6d3d012.jpg (83KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
psdx6d3d012.jpg
83KB, 800x600px
>>
Yes
No
Maybe
I don't know?
>>
If you've played any modern JRPG, you've probably played FF7 a dozen times over but slightly better.

It's boring and filled with wangst. So no.
>>
File: 1496619207300.jpg (255KB, 800x678px) Image search: [Google]
1496619207300.jpg
255KB, 800x678px
>>389500581
No, 7/8/10 are overrated by sonyfriends. Don't listen to casuals who haven't played every FF.
>>
I WAS IN SOLDIER DAMMIT
>>
>>389500720
>If you've played any modern JRPG, you've probably played FF7 a dozen times over but slightly better.
name 12 JRPG's better than FF7
>>
ignore those fags ff7 is a great game and the only part of it that has aged horribly are the graphics
>>
>>389500845
Look no further than within the same franchise, young fagowan.
>>
>>389500581
Yes, it'll be interesting if nothing else.

FF7 was my first JRPG and I loved it at the time..in 1997. No idea if it'll hold up well today if you've never played it.

There are far better JRPGs out there but I still have a soft spot for it and I'll buy the remake even though I know it'll be awful.
>>
File: fags.jpg (320KB, 2500x3226px) Image search: [Google]
fags.jpg
320KB, 2500x3226px
>>389500737
>doesn't include IX even though it's significantly worse than every other game mentioned in his post
>>
>>389500581
It's a great game.
>>389500720
>filled with angst
how to spot somebody who's first exposure to FF7 was Advent Children
>>
>>389500737
Havent played any FF but I want to get into it. Where to start then?
>>
>>389500958
t. nostalgia-blinded fagling
>>
>>389501059
I said wangst, not angst you illiterate waste of your father's cum.
>>
>>389500974
Only V and arguably VI are better (not counting tactics because obvious reasons)
>>
>>389500581
Its a decent game OP with a fun combat system (Materia) decent plot, charming music but the graphics have aged horribly.
>>
File: this guy is a fucking idiot.png (36KB, 499x338px) Image search: [Google]
this guy is a fucking idiot.png
36KB, 499x338px
>>389501254
>Only V and VI
>>
Is this the troll thread?
>>
>>389500581
No
>>
>>389501079
The correct answer is 1
The acceptable answers are: 4. 5, 6, 9, or 12.
>>
>>389500581
Yes, it's a solid game with a decent story that gets misremembered because its sperglord fanbase was largely underage when they first played it. It's not the greatest FF but it's not bad when ranked among them.
>>
>>389502481
>played ff7 first
Where from here?
>>
>>389500737

Even when playing every FF, only 7 and 9 remain good
>>
>>389500581
I got so bored with 7 it was the first game I ever fell asleep too.
>>
>>389500720
> wangst
don't belie your community friend
as a 38 yo oldfag, FF7 was great in its day but the first ten ffs are boring and lame today. FF15 is reasonable enough, play the ff7 reboot when it comes out. honestly divinity and undertale thd witcher 3 have all been just as fun today as ff7 was then, or ff1, or when i finally beat zelda 2
>>
>>389503231
I think 6 is overrated but it isn't bad
>>
>>389503182
8 and 9 next
>>
>>389503129
There's so much shit in this game that gets misrepresented it's crazy. Cloud isn't heroic, at least at the start, and he isn't a mopey crybaby. This was a job for him that got personal later. He dragged his friends along on a personal vendetta. Barrett is an ass that blames all his problems on Shinra regardless of if Shinra is actually responsible for them. And they don't use kid gloves on him for being a black guy, he's unapologetically angry up until Cait Sith call him on his shit and let's him know, bluntly, that he's a terrorist piece of shit that cares for no one but himself. AND HE ACTUALLY IMPROVES FOR IT. But most people like Barrett because even with all of that he still genuinely loves his daughter, and his stand off against Dyne is a hundred times more compelling than Lightning's quest to find an ass. Aerith is a fun flirt and could actually be an enjoyable date IRL if she existed. And her being the chosen one doesn't stop her from being human and liking things. Even if it's shitty things like intentionally flirting with Cloud knowing full well he's Tifa's Sun and stars. FF7 isn't the best written thing ever, it can get pretty dumb sometimes, but it's way better than people remember it.
>>
Couldn't get into it at all. But I had no problem playing 9 last year for the first time.
>>
>>389500845
>FF4
>FF5
>FF6
>Chrono Trigger
>Secter of Mana
>Xenoblade
>Xenoblade X
>Lost Odissey
>Last Story
>Bravely Default
>Grandia 2 (DC/Pc version)
>Skies of Arcadia
>>
>>389500581
No, meme game loved by redditors and people whose first ff game was a poor quality 3d game. 6 should have been remade.>>389500581
>>
>>389503694
>He dragged his friends along on a personal vendetta.
More than that - he can't truly explain why he feels a desperate need to hunt down Sephiroth, and in part it's because he's being summoned North along with all the others.
>>
Did Cloud and Tifa ever have any kids?
>>
>>389503801
same as me loved 9, only game i like in the series
>>
>>389503801
The early part of the game up until you leave Midgar seems to be really dividing. People either like the early stuff and then dislike the rest of the game or they think the first few hours are boring and that the game only really gets rolling once you're given the freedom to run around the world map.
Either way it's worth playing up until that point even if the game picks up kinda slowly. The overall game isn't even all that different from 9 and people who like one PS1 Final Fantasy game usually like another.
>>
>>389504408
And the crazier thing about that is your first time through you as a player (should be) just as confused about this quest as the rest of the cast. Because the closest thing you get to a narrator is Cloud and Cloud's "memories" are super unreliable and full of holes. Hell right as you get to Junon and you sleep in the house, Cloud starts questioning his own stories and starts to realize the story he told makes no sense.
>>
>>389503801
9 is my favorite from the series so that's quite acceptable
>>
>>389500845

Tales of Destiny, Eternia, Symphonia
Valkyries profiles
Star Ocean, Star Ocean second story
Ys 6,7
Skite of akadia
Lunar silver star story
Grandia 2
Shenmu

Just PS1, Saturn, GC

List go on...
>>
>>389504551
Can't say. They adopted Denzel but other than that no confirmed children
>>
FF7 is hailed because it did it first, not because it did things better than everyone else
>>
>Really like the idea of turn-based RPGs
>Really dislike how they every "hard" fight in the second half is impossible until the one tactic the enemy isn't immune to makes it a complete push-over
Fuck my autism.
>>
>>389504810
That or you just assume it's a "but thou must" situation where the justification is "because villain". The other characters even start chiming in (you have a big plot recap before the black materia where some characters are like "how the fuck did we even get here"), and it's not until later you realize it's not poor writing but there literally not being a reason beyond them following Cloud, who is tossing out flimsy justifications to them as much as himself.
>>
>>389504993
What did it do first?
>>
>>389503694
>Tifa's Sun and stars
He just happens to be the only beta orbiter of hers that survived Nibelheim, I never got the big deal. She didn't really treat him all that different (who knows how many late night, "intimate", private talks she had with the other boys to keep stringing them along), so I never got why she was so obsessed with him. She could pick up a bunch of orbiters in basically any other city in the world, but instead she's stuck on the one pathetic fucker from childhood. Tifa is just as crazy as Cloud, and they deserve each other for it.

Yuffie and Red XIII are really the only sane characters in the game.
>>
>>389505092
And that's true. I'd say the only characters that truly had zero reason whatsoever to follow Cloud was Red XIII, Yuffie, and Cid. Tifa was with Cloud because she wanted to know if the person she was seeing was actually Cloud or just some weirdo calling himself Cloud who happens to know a lot of personal shit. Barrett is with Cloud because to be with Cloud is to fight Shinra. Aeris feels a strong connection with Cloud because Cetra and also wants his bone. Vincent because Cloud knows Sephiroth. And Cait because Reeve is spying on him.

The rest are just along for the ride because they are.
>>
>>389505246
You can't compare a young girl to her as an adult, necessarily. She got him the job with Avalanche to keep an eye on him (because something seemed odd with her old acquaintance) and got swept up in the confusion. By late game she's learned a lot more about who he actually is. It's not a ideal dashing romance so much as two people at the end of the world who have grown close.
>>
>>389505246
Man the more you look at Tifa's actions the more you realize she might be an obsessed crazy person. Because it sounds really sweet when you say

>Tifa just wanted to be with Cloud and make sure he was okay

But then you realize not once did she blow the whistle on Cloud's story that didn't make any goddamn sense. And then you get to Gongaga and she starts denying that she ever met a Zack Fair in her life, even thought that's confirmation from a third party that Cloud's story is wrong. And at the Northern Cave she starts actively supporting Cloud's delusions and saying that everything Sephiroth was saying was wrong. Even though Sephiroth was telling half truths, there were truths in it.
>>
>>389500581

Yes

Fun game, but it gets shit on now because it's cool to be contrarian and it's almost universally loved.

That being said, I think 9 outshines 7.

7's still a wonderful adventure, though.
>>
>>389500581
It was a good game for its time. Compared to the many good JRPGs since (especially on the PS2), it falls quite flat. If you can put yourself in the PS1 era and avoid being spoiled by what we have had since, you will like it. If you can't, you probably won't.
>>
>>389505651
I think she had begun to straight up doubt her own memories give how declarative Cloud was being.
>>
File: original.gif (2MB, 970x546px) Image search: [Google]
original.gif
2MB, 970x546px
>>389500581
on PC with mods it is. You can mod that game to look like a ps2 exclusive launch title.
>>
>>389505935
That makes sense up until you get to Gongaga. At Gongaga you meet Zack's parents and they ask if you've heard from him. Tifa knows damn well she met a Zack. Which means she knows her version of events are the correct ones. But instead she, very vehemently, states that she's never known a Zack in her life and when Cloud asks why she's so angry she tells him to drop it.
>>
just play dragon quest 8
>>
>>389506131
Easier to believe the convenient, tidy story than force yourself to accept you're following a delusional psychotic
>>
>>389506317
Fair enough. It's just weird man. That's a lot of effort to go through for a guy that you're not even 100% sure is even Cloud. Like they get into his memories and they review Nibelheim and the night at the well and Tifa still isn't 100% convinced that this is the right person and they have to go all the way back to their earliest childhood memories before Tifa can finally say "okay I know that this is the correct Cloud. Now let's start figuring out what really happened at Nibelheim."
>>
>>389506595
Does she not think it's Cloud from the start, or was it the Hojo line that he built Cloud out of Zack's memories that caused her to severely doubt it? Did she even hear that part, I don't remember.

I agree that it's odd how she handles it, but in a party full of people with secrets, she's not that out of place.
>>
>>389500581
yes

just learn about how to get beta early

fill in grinding time by listening to an audiobook or learning a language

great game, /v/ sucks at it
>>
>>389506746
I'll have to play it again to get the specifics. She says during the Lifestream part that she thought Cloud was severely off from the first time she saw him at the train station. He was remembering things that he shouldn't know and he didn't know things that he should. So she decided to stick by him and see for herself. And there are lines in the game prior to Mideel where she says "Are you really Cloud?" though I'd have to look up where those lines are again.
>>
>>389506746
There's just no way around how weird the thing must have gotten the moment they met again in Midgar.
So you don't see your childhood friend for years, and they start talking about events you were present at that happened between the time you didn't see each other.
Not only they can clearly recall events they shouldn't have been present at, but they're also talking about them from the perspective of another person who you knew was there but clearly they were someone else entirely.
>>
File: 1368962729355.jpg (96KB, 724x720px) Image search: [Google]
1368962729355.jpg
96KB, 724x720px
>>389504895
>Tales of
>better than anything
>>
>>389506086
this
>>
>>389507207
i remember those lines too
>>
>>389507042
>grinding in FF7
Spot the casual
>>
>>389504190
lost odyssey is not better than ff7
>>
>>389507496
It kind of plays up Sephiroth's scariness though. Sephiroth as a character is kind of flat. Basically a crazy hobo spewing threats. But Sephiroth's power is presented great. Like you spend the game doing somewhere around 300 damage and then you get to Sephiroth and he's doing 3.4k every hit. And then you get to the Midgar Zolom and he's way stronger than you but then you get to the Mythril Caves and you see Sephiroth has gutted one with no effort. Even Cloud can't trust himself because Sephiroth owns his psyche for most of the game. What do you do when you're your own worst enemy?
>>
>>389508726
>What do you do when you're your own worst enemy?
Kill myself in hopes of preventing the production of Advent Children.
>>
>>389500581
Definitely. It's a great experience with an outstanding soundtrack.
>>
>>389508808
Come on anon don't be stupid we couldn't do anything to avoid Advent Children.
>>
>>389508726
Seeing Sephiroth's performance was the second best part of that diversion at Kalm.
First best is being able to hack him in later for Sephiroth runs. Thank you Squaresoft.
>>
>>389509021
>we're_searching_for_sephiroth.png
>>
The story is interesting, but the battles are boring, especially bosses.
>>
>>389509964
The Materia system was crazy fun to break. There's so many ways to fuck enemies over in that game
>>
>>389500581
Yes. Ignore contrarians.
>>
>>389510078
I forgot about the Materia, that was also pretty good. But I feel like the battles just get too repetitive over time. There are a few that stand out though, like Reno's.
>>
>>389510320
proud clod ruled
>>
>>389510320
Fights with mechanics unique to it were the best. Like how Carry Armor could scoop up a party member or how Reno could trap enemies in triangles. Too many of the fights were against guys with way more HP than the regular mooks.
>>
File: 1460700893862.png (122KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1460700893862.png
122KB, 250x250px
>>389510167
>XIII
>Good
You are lying
>>
fag here that has only played up to ff6,why are the animations on the 3D so fucking long? battles must take forever to finish
>>
>>389511263
This is true. Which is why I almost completely stopped using Summon materia and only use some Magic Materia. Yellow and Blue Materia are where it's at for me now.
>>
>>389500581
Played it recently for the first time and I would say yea, it's pretty good
>>
File: 1490823514402.jpg (450KB, 1255x1344px) Image search: [Google]
1490823514402.jpg
450KB, 1255x1344px
>>389510167
Oh, is it time to make people mad by having opinions? Don't worry, I won't accuse you of baiting. I'm sure your taste is just that shit. Me, on the other hand...
>>
>>389512410
>ARR below 1.0
lol
>>
>>389512410
Is XV really that bad? Because I still haven't played the damn thing and I've been doing pretty well in avoiding spoilers
>>
>tfw when finding the sunken plane just by chance and getting the 2x cut materia
I felt so fucking powerful.
>>
>>389512410
Swap 11 and 6, swap 14 and 8.
>>
>>389512714
there's nothing worth spoiling anyway

the story's shit
>>
File: images.jpg (6KB, 313x161px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6KB, 313x161px
>>389512727
>Leave the Gelinka Ship
>Pic related is waiting for you
>>
File: 7e1.png (757KB, 706x608px) Image search: [Google]
7e1.png
757KB, 706x608px
>>389513113
>hit power button
>>
>that comfy feel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8o9gGOKEg4
>>
>>389505431
Cid's with Cloud because he sees service against Shinra as a way to atone for some of his own mistakes. Right or wrong, that's made clear.

Red XIII follows Cloud because initially Cloud's party was his best shot of getting home. Once home, he comes to terms with his losses in a coming of age story and decides to fight Shinra because he believes the fate of the planet hinges on what happens next and Cloud's group is the only one that seems to be doing anything against Shinra.

Yuffie's in it for the adventure. She's like, what, 15? Nothing seems serious at that age, and a chance to get some loot while following the first guy she robbed who had what it took to get his property back is a good way to learn a few things.
Thread posts: 90
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.