[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

FFXII

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4

File: 1500604349261.jpg (144KB, 450x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1500604349261.jpg
144KB, 450x1200px
>central to nearly every plot point in the game
>strong female, but not unrealistically so
>delicious design without coming across as too ridiculous
>mature face and excellent voice
>almost every cutscene is about her
>the connecting point to basically every character

Were they THAT afraid of beta faggots who have to have a generic protagonist to self insert? There is literally no point to Vaan or Penelo. They aren't even interesting as characters that give you a more down to earth/humble approach to life.

It pisses me off because it has lasting repercussions. Vaan is considered as the protagonist of XII so he ends up representing the game often times. He is currently the sole playable FFXII character in Dissidia NT, and one of two that were playable in the previous games as well. He is the most bland and uninteresting character visually, voice, and personality wise too.

I will always hate the "Anime Protagonist" archetype more than any other type of character in anything. The teenage male with semi short spikey hair whose only purpose is to self insert, and who is almost always characterized by being spunky or having a lot of ambition/strong beliefs despite having very little world experience or knowledge. Vaan is quite literally defined as being a main character. That is his entire personality and existence.
>>
>>389491318
The drawings torso to leg ratio is through the fucking roof.

Fix your shit.
>>
>>389491318

>Elegant formal wear that seems somewhat tasteful and attractive
>Suddenly, tight, pink mini-skirt originally fitted for a child
>>
>>389491318
They were right weren't they though, most of 12's detractors label Ashe as a complete bitch. That's not even as the main character.
>>
>>389491456
She looks fine, there's nothing wrong with slightly exaggerated proportions.
>>
>>389491318
Balthier and basch where the only goodmemorable character in that game.
Fran for waifu shit. The rest i really wish would have died.
>>
Content being scrapped made Penelo shit.
>>
>>389491318
You fucking idiots still fail to realize the difference between a main character and a protagonist. Vaan is the protagonist but he's not the main character. You see the story through his eyes but the story doesn't revolve around his actions. Sherlock Holmes, Watson is the protagonist but Holmes is the main character
>>
Wasn't Balthier supposedly going to be the main protagonist of XII? It seems like the writing for that game was all over the place, which is a shame. I really liked a lot of aspects of XII but Vaan is even more pointless than Penelo it seems.
>>
>>389491318
>Were they THAT afraid of beta faggots who have to have a generic protagonist to self insert?
Friendly reminder that FF is a series aimed at children and teenagers.
If you want older/mature(or well written) protagonists you won't find them in FF because that's not the target audience of the games and never has been.
Also, Balthier is really a poor man's Al-Cid.
>>
>>389491318
Seriously, do you expect me to read all that shit?
>>
>>389491456
Japan likes legs
>>389491792
This always got me. If her skirt was black it would match better
>>
>>389491318
I liked the game, but it's so hamfisted in its message that I can't take it seriously. Also, Vaan and Penelo is necessary to give the rest of the character a different perspective on why they fight.
>>
>>389492207
Vaan and Panelo were introduced to appeal to younger players in japan, a sound move because they're also the two most popular characters from XII in japan.
>>
>>389491318

His point isn't to be a self-insert. Using an unrelated protagonist to introduce the audience into a larger plot/world is a classic technique that allows you to relate to the story.

Would you really have felt closer to the story playing some weepy, vengeful widow? Fuck no. You would've been frustrated by half of her decisions because they wouldn't resonate with your motives. Your perspective needed to exist outside of that. Hence Vaan.

Their only failing was in making Vaan an enormous faggot in both personality and design. He needed to be blander, if anything.

The game gave you the freedom to "main" whoever you wanted to. Your party was whoever you wanted it to be, with whatever weapons you wanted them to wield and whatever classes you wanted them to be masters in. There's some good things to bitch about with regards to XII's execution, but having Ashe as the main character would've been awful. Same goes for Basch and Balthier.
>>
>>389491318
That skirt is so out of place in that design.
Lightning's armor in FFXIII-2 was fucking perfect, so they obviously know how to make good looking shit and yet they constantly chose not to and make this stupid stuff instead.
>>
>>389491318
Why is she touching her nose?
>>
>>389491318
i wont excuse the mess that 12 has in these regards, but i the did a really good job rounding out vaan and penelo in revenant wings that i am completely over it. they feel like complete characters to me even when i go back and play 12.

also
>>389492147
this
>>
File: 312px-FFTA2Vaan.jpg (37KB, 312x599px) Image search: [Google]
312px-FFTA2Vaan.jpg
37KB, 312x599px
Reminder that if this had been Vaan's design all along literally no one would have a problem with him
>>
>>389491318
>delicious design without coming across as too ridiculous
Pink plastic flaps as a miniskirt is definitely ridiculous
>>
>>389492832
>Would you really have felt closer to the story playing some weepy, vengeful widow?
Why not? It's not like it hasn't been done before.
>You would've been frustrated by half of her decisions because they wouldn't resonate with your motives.
First off, FF has no roleplaying so I wouldn't care to begin with, secondly
>Self inserting
Neither Vaan's nor Ashe's decisions "resonate" with my motives, so your point is null.
People complain because Vaan's the usual stale archetype for a protagonist, that's all there is to it.
>>
>>389491318
>>central to nearly every plot point in the game
Truth

>>strong female, but not unrealistically so
She's about as strong as the other characters. What is "realistically strong" for a woman?

>>delicious design without coming across as too ridiculous
Subjective. XII designs suck except for Balthier

>>mature face and excellent voice
She's a young adult who looks like a young adult.

>>almost every cutscene is about her
She's the main character. They have to.

>>the connecting point to basically every character
Main character.
>>
>>389493283
Those clothes would be far too fancy for a street kid
>>
>>389491318
When will ff have realistically aged characters? Ever one is under 25 in almost all the games.
>>
>Dude what if we made literally half the cast be inconsequential to the story
>Dude what if we made multiple cutscenes where the main character has no idea what's going on and just stands in the background while people who matter speak
>Dude what if we made a character who's literally just a random girl off the street with no important qualities outside of an extremely large ass
>Dude what if we made a character with an interesting and nuanced backstory and then only let the player use him in one dungeon, at the end of which he dies
>Dude what if we made a villain who has zero emotional connection to the heroes and doesn't even meet them until the last ten minutes
>Dude what if we took an established setting with a million interesting species and then only included humans and bunny humans as playable characters
>Dude what if we gave the narrator a comical Apu accent
>Dude what if we made a complicated political plot and then ruined it by turning it into standard ancient god shenanigans halfway through
>Dude what if we made a plot where the heroes have almost no impact on what happens until 95% of the way through the story, and they spend their time tromping from one ancient temple to the next
>Dude what if we took everything 100% seriously and had zero levity outside of Balthier and Cid
>Dude what if we wrote all of the dialogue to sound like a Renaissance Fair
>Dude what if we we had no overworld and all travel was handled by a menu or floating teleport crystals
>Dude what if we made a battle system where you set everything up in advance so that you don't actually play the game
>Dude what if we made a level-up system where all of the characters become literally identical in function
>Dude what if we made summons useless except for opening doors
>Dude what if we put all of the interesting and unique content in sidequests
>Dude what if instead of having fun side games like the motorcycle chase and Triple Triad we had nothing
>Dude what if we had really shitty music
>>
>>389493569
In many of the games it's a plot point that the characters are young and inexperienced, so I don't see the problem.
There aren't any 21 year old war veterans with five different careers behind them like in some JRPGs
>>
>>389493283
Vaan is a poor street urchin in XII, he looked the way he did for a reason. And this insecurity about how he looked is hilarious
>>
>design isn't too ridiculous
>knee lamp shades
>>
>>389493692
>>Dude what if we made a character who's literally just a random girl off the street with no important qualities outside of an extremely large ass
I see nothing wrong with this.
>>
>>389493283
Remove floral pattern from pants, simplify leg armor, simplify hip wing thing into a fancy holster for his blade, redraw the whole thing in Vagrant Story artstyle.
Fixed. 10/10 best FF protag ever.
>>
>>389491318
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i95vDzFUl4g
>>
>>389492832

This.
>>
>>389492832
Actually, they were just afraid the game wouldn't sell if it centered around Basch or Ashe. The issue with this is that Vaan is well loved in Japan and certainly helped save the game. But, in the US, we was viewed as useless and annoying while being far too much like Tidus from FFX.

In other words, it's all about perspective. Many Americans would prefer that darker, more mature form of storytelling about a vengeful widow. Japan wanted a younger, more upbeat character to view the story.
>>
>>389493692
>>Dude what if we made literally half the cast be inconsequential to the story

One of the best the best things about XII is that the story didn't revolve around the party and they were just wheels in the cog. It's a refreshing alternative to the typical cookie cutter "save the world" plot most JRPGs have
>>
>>389492221
The side games are where the more mature stories and protagonists like. Crisis Core, type-0, Tactics, etc.
>>
>>389493567
Vaan is basically wearing the same pants in game but with a skimpy male erotic dancer vest.

Street kids wear hand me downs. Should practical or at least rusty.
>>
>>389494059
FFXII story would be good if it wasn't so obviously rushed
>>
>>389494030
>Americas are edgy manchildren

That about sums it up pretty well
>>
>>389494132
>Crisis Core

>Type-O

>Mature

They were edgy but they weren't mature. Tactics is on the mark though, was genuinely depressed after I finished it
>>
File: Auron_Art.png (153KB, 350x464px) Image search: [Google]
Auron_Art.png
153KB, 350x464px
>>389494030
This.
>>389493786
All these games have some super mature and older looking characters just to find out they are 10 to 20 years younger then they act or look.
>>
>>389494207
>The Japanese are literal children

Yep, makes perfect sense.
>>
I heard FFXII emulate extremly well. Is it true ? I can't run Armored Core 2 without severe dips in framerate.
>>
>>389492832
Game should have just switched view point between the different characters from time to time. Vaan infiltrating the palace makes for a great introduction but they should have switched to other characters after that.
>>
>>389493569
>When will ff have realistically aged characters?
What does this even mean?
>Ever one is under 25 in almost all the games.
>Buys games for a young audience
>Woooooow there's no old people in here, bugged squenix age mechanics
>>
>>389494704
never tried armored core but ffxii does emulate good,i tried on an old machine some years ago with a core2duo and it worked fine
>>
>>389494207
Not really. They just want different kinds of stories. America wants personal dramas while Japan optimistic world saving epics.

>>389494431
To each their own. I found Crisis Core to be mature as the protagonist still tries to be a hero despite all the chances for him to become a violent anti-hero. Type-0 is the only FF game to focus entirely on war.
>>
>>389492983
If I remember correctly, she isn't wearing a skirt. It is actually a pair of shorts, as weird as that seems.
>>
>>389494938
Alright, thanks. PS2 emulation seems pretty weird in term of performance.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.