[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This game takes away points for using a checkpoint. Who do I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 126
Thread images: 24

This game takes away points for using a checkpoint.

Who do I visit and murder for implementing such a soul-crushing feature? I haven't even popped in Phantom Pain yet, I'll just been banging my head into ground zeroes for 2 days now, and I can't get an S rank on hard mode. I just can't. probably 20-30 hours of my life on a SINGLE stealth mission and I just can't do it. I get 80, 90, even 95% through the mission, but I always get spotted on some bullshit. That guard turned around for no reason even though he didn't turn around the other 25 times you've tried this over the course of 2 days? Too bad, restart the entire mission, no more S rank for you. What's that, he spotted you through a tiny gap in the geometry from 50 meters, and it didn't even give you time to hide, just immediate combat alert? Sorry, I realize you're 30 minutes into this mission but if you restart at the last checkpoint the best score you'll get is an A. 30 minutes of perfection. 30 minutes of absolutely perfect stealth gameplay, but that one fucking guy, that one fucking instance, that one bullshit glitch or absolutely nonsense detection and it's all over. Restart the game. Do the whole 30 minutes over again. This is current year, checkpoints are now punished in stealth games.

I'm about ready to kill myself. I can't move onto phantom pain until I finish ground zeroes on hard with an S, and I just can't. It's all in my brain of course, every individual section is mapped out in my mind and I can get an S on hard in my head, but it never works out that way. Something goes wrong literally every fucking time, you just can't trust these guard patterns they mix it up randomly and their spotting is the best I've ever seen in a stealth game.
Stealth games need a checkpoint system, hardcore players shouldn't be punished on the score sheet for doing trial and error, it's how you learn how to ghost these missions in the first place.

Putting checkpoints into the scoring system was a huge mistake.
>>
File: 1500032136272.jpg (240KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
1500032136272.jpg
240KB, 720x720px
That wall of text, just for checkpoints? Not gonna read it.
>>
>>389465194
nigga haha just like rescue all the hostages or something haha put them in the helicopter nigga
>>
>>389465194
Can't tell if pasta but getting S-rank on all the missions in TPP is pretty easy as long as you cheese it. 90% of scoring is based on how fast you complete the mission. Not one mission compares to Ground Zeroes.
>>
>>389465330
tl;dr game shouldn't take away points for restarting at a checkpoint, stealth games require trial and error it's part of learning the game.

>>389465428
I got an S on normal but I've been trying hard all morning and failing over and over again. First it was right after saving chico, I let the guard pass, walked out the gate, and BAM. Guy turned around right after walking through the gate, absolutely no reason for it and he never did it before in 2 days of playing this game, instant spot. Have to start the whole mission over. Next time I get a little quicker than that but a guard further up the cliffside spots me through both geometry and grass for an instant combat detection, another restart at the very beginning. Get all the way to paz, almost at the chopper, oh boy he saw you 60 meters over there from that watchtower too bad can't use checkpoint or you'll get an A, time to restart the whole mission
>>
>>389465194
Speed's important. More important than anything, actually.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUSduMQInuE
>>
>>389465613
Rescue Paz first
>>
Just go further out, observe, and approach.

The fact that this game is open world is the biggest afront to stealth because there are just too many avenues to approach. There is almost never a purpose to actually sneaking through encampments. There are also so many just OP weapons and such before you even get the ones that restrict you from S rank that you never really struggle.
>>
>>389465652
but can you get an S rank on hard mode after using a checkpoint? I'm willing to give this game another shot if it actually allows a single fucking mistake assuming you do everything else right

>>389465792
you guys are talking about phantom pain, I'm still on ground zeroes. I refuse to play PP until I achieve S rank on Hard without reflex mode. Hell, I refuse to eat until it happens, this is now my life and I will not stop S is achieved.
>>
File: 1485079358409.jpg (535KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1485079358409.jpg
535KB, 1080x1080px
>>389465713
door doesn't unlock at that point, guard patrol is also slightly different. gotta get chico first. going there early is for one of the tapes iirc.

I can't really give advice on how to S rank hard, just ninja through fast and carefully, non lethal if at all, helicopter the prisoners and leave.
>>
>>389466156
>door doesn't unlock at that point
There's like 3 different ways into that building
>>
File: ehhehehe.jpg (11KB, 104x176px) Image search: [Google]
ehhehehe.jpg
11KB, 104x176px
you gotta crawl on your belly. like a snake
>>
You have to employ other people to complete the missions for you. Like a boss.
>>
just failed again, that guy at the gate after chico apparently turns around every single time so now I'm going to knock him out every single time.

Here we go, attempt #30something from the beginning
>>
Call Mobius One or whatever the helicopter guy is called, have him destroy absolutely everything and sneak in during the confusion
>>
File: kfc ocelot.jpg (563KB, 3508x2480px) Image search: [Google]
kfc ocelot.jpg
563KB, 3508x2480px
>>389465194
the whole plot was a mistake
>>
>leaving survivors
top plen, no one can live to tell the tale of snek's thick thighs
>>
>>389466287
you can get into the building, the cage door to Paz doesn't open and she isn't there yet.
>>
>>389466289
Now if you excuse me i have to push the BONJOUR button
>>
>>389465792
TPP was never meant to be a pure stealth game. It's an infiltration simulator.
>>
File: 1476726964984.jpg (31KB, 357x370px) Image search: [Google]
1476726964984.jpg
31KB, 357x370px
>go behind the first tower
>crawl down the road
>duck cut across the camp
>zz the guy on the road to the prison after the jeep goes by
>zz all the guards there
>get chico onto a helicopter
>crawl up the cliff
>sleep the guys by the truck
>knock out the guy under the bridge
>crawl along the fence
into the far north entrance
>knock out one guard
>down the steps
>knock out the guys there
>get paz
>knock out new guards
>get paz
>knock out more guys
>drop paz, go up the stairs, and knock out all the guys in the "courtyard"
>take paz through the far west gate around the helipads
>around the back side of the buidlings
>2 guys by a fence and one in the guard house near the start of the mission
>take paz out the way you came in
ZZ++ rank
>>
>>389466671
Bullshit, you can rescue her first and it was my main method of tackling the main mission, youtube "Paz first" or something
>>
failed again

this time the guy inside the prison area spotted me through the gate before I even got to chico, first time that's happened in 30-40 tries.

Here we go again, I've never been so frustrated at a video game in my entire life
>>
>>389467087
Sounds to me like you're jumping right into hard without actually experimenting that much with the game
Ever thought about just chilling out in Normal mode trying a bunch of different shit and gathering more knowledge of the game?
>>
You need to git gud, OP. I got a perfect rank with all 0s on MGS V without using checkpoints.
>>
>>389466887
well I literally did this and the cage didn't open like I say but if thats the case fuck it.
>>
>>389466678
>TPP
No MGS game was meant to be pure stealth.
>>
File: 1489627524226.jpg (18KB, 421x348px) Image search: [Google]
1489627524226.jpg
18KB, 421x348px
>>389465194
>start the 3rd mission
>go in running and shooting soldiers
>kill the commander and his buddies
>call the chopper and fuck out of there
>get an S rank for finishing it under 10 minutes
>>
>>389467087
yeah he can see through the bars on the door. So stay low and pay attention to where he is
>>
>>389467559
I always use the sniper that is stashed in the truck
>>
The scoring system for individual missions in general was a massive mistake, because it precludes the use of puzzle-like or random elements in missions.
>>
got pretty far that time, got Paz all the way outside then a watchtower instantly combat detected me.

Yet. Another. Failure.

brb killing myself this is the hardest stealth game ever made and it punishes you for trial and error, I don't even what the fuck is even going on.

I'm obviously far too frustrated to do this well, even though how to do it well is definitely in my brain, every inch of this map I know perfectly and I have a plan for every inch of this map, something just always goes wrong, that's why stealth games have checkpoints, because nobody has EVER been that good. Those ghost videos on youtube? That guy restarted 10 times before he got that perfect run he recorded, that's how this shit fucking works. The arrogance of punishing checkpoints, the sheer arrogance. Pisses me off.
>>
>>389465194
hahaha nigga you think this shit was playtested hahahaha like nigga just look at the completely nonexistent item balance like nigga just listen to the 'story'
>>
I know the other guys probably said this already but
1. The game doesn't punish you for using check-points. You are playing on Hard, trying to get an S rank. The checkpoint thing is for less ambitionated players just trying to have fun.
2. S ranks in MGS5 are obtained by having a lot of points, and you can generally get a ton of points by having a fast time. Skip all cutscenes and speed-run through the level -> easy S rank, even if you got discovered.
>>
>>389469212
that's really fucking dumb and I hate this scoring system even more now
>>
File: 1503521854950.png (230KB, 316x376px) Image search: [Google]
1503521854950.png
230KB, 316x376px
>>389466289
>>
File: 1496618904599.jpg (223KB, 607x608px) Image search: [Google]
1496618904599.jpg
223KB, 607x608px
S rank is not for players learning to play a game, S rank is for good players, that know how to do their shit. If you ask me, S rank should be even harder.

Git Gud, scum.
>>
>>389468452

git gud fag
>>
>>389470057
fuck you and your mother

This is an S run. It's bullshit that two restarts means I get an A, that shouldn't take away any points at all this game isn't polished enough to warrant such an aggressively hardcore feature, stealth games aren't fair and they're designed to glitch you out of victory constantly because of how detection works, so they're basically DESIGNED with checkpoints in mind, it's the developers way of saying, "sorry the game might have fucked you there but you can do it again." That's a basic fucking unspoken rule between stealth game developer and player, give them a couple fucking retries ffs.

>hur dur so hardcore can't retry gotta go fast

this scoring system is fucking disgusting.

This is an S performance that I was awarded an A for on some bullshit. fuck ground zeroes
>>
File: 20170906111236_1.jpg (208KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20170906111236_1.jpg
208KB, 1920x1080px
>>389470878

pic related

MUH TIME and MUH CHECKPOINTS stealing an S rank from me
>>
>>389470878
>>389471057
Git gud, you fucking shitter. Stop using checkpoints and stop taking so long to do shit. Christ. If you think that's bad, wait until you get to Phantom Pain. The stats system in there is even more relentless against scrubs.
>>
>>389470754
stealth games aren't designed well enough to take that away yet. When stealth games stop making me fail because the game itself fucked up, then you can punish me for checkpoints. But half the time it's the game fucking up and not you, and you deserve a checkpoint in that situation
>>
>>389465194
This is why playing games for a letter to show up at the end is beyond me. I get that you want to master something but when its as rigid as a stealth game all you are doing is memorizing a set amount of scenarios, there's no improvisation which is what you have to employ if you are caught or in other games where the variables are high that it forces you to deal with whats thrown at you.
>>
File: full.jpg (78KB, 960x857px) Image search: [Google]
full.jpg
78KB, 960x857px
>>
>>389470878
you keep saying this, but you do realise the equivilent of an S rank in metal gear usually involves completing the entire game without being spotted or killing anyone, and quickly?

its not a new concept either, resident evil did the same thing but instead of no kills its no first aid sprays saves and special ammo.

note the no saves part in both.
>>
>>389471057
>23 mins
>didn't even rescue all prisoners
How?
>>
>>389471372
you can't really do that in this game which is why I'm bitching. I tried to approach this game like every other stealth game I've played: learn the guard patterns, find the right path and the right timing, then perfect it. But this game is different. Guards are utterly unpredictable. You can do a mission 20 times and they'll do the same thing 20 times, but as soon as you take it for granted suddenly they're doing something else. First guard for instance, usually keeps walking all the way almost to chico, he walks down that whole road and is a thorn in your side the whole time you go through that area. However today, after playing it multiple times yesterday, he randomly turns around and walks back to his starting area, completely changing the whole scenario, out of fucking nowhere. Like my 20th-something restart and this fucker just does something completely new out of the blue. Shit like that infuriates me.

>>389471475
you get more points for rescuing the other prisoners? I had no idea, it's not my objective and it's not mentioned
>>
>>389471372
This. RE and SH survival horror games are the same way.

>it's a genre that emphasizes taking your time, scoping things out, then carefully and cautiously proceeding forward once you've got a plan, scanning the environment as you go.

>in order to get the highest rank you need to run naked through the whole game while ignoring all the interesting side shit.

It's the exact opposite experience that I play the game for.
>>
>>389470878

Like I said: S Rank isn't for everybody. If you can't get an S Rank, a thing that MANY people did in here, the threads of GZ here were full of people with S rank, you obviously don't have what it takes to be a S Rank awarded player.

You just suck, and the Rank S was made thinking on people better than you. ACCEPT THAT. you are a failure and should swallow your A, scrub.
>>
File: 1471123224155.png (753KB, 1008x672px) Image search: [Google]
1471123224155.png
753KB, 1008x672px
>>389471372
>there's no improvisation
But there is, faggot. The player is the improvisation, use magazines or shot in a wall with a tranq weapon to distract your enemies.
git gud
>>
>>389471467
it's a fucking stealth game, not a fucking action game like resident evil. Time should not be a factor in score, period. It already pisses me off that checkpoints are but I can at least see the design philosophy behind it and the reasoning for it, regardless of how utterly flawed it is in practice. But this time bullshit? There's no excuse, this is a stealth game and that is retarded.
>>
>>389465194
rescuing all the prisoners covers for almost any one or two fuck ups you could do. Don't forget the one in front of you when you start the mission. don't be afraid to kill some of the guards. Complete the mission in a shortish time and you're golden.
>>
>>389471629
>it's not mentioned
Dude, it's literally in your pic. 3500 points per prisoner, there's also a hidden prisoner in the camp on the left of the spawn point.
>>
File: 1471736663922.jpg (72KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1471736663922.jpg
72KB, 500x500px
>>389470878
It's a rinse and repeat process and some missions would honestly take 2 minutes to get S rank. Stop restarting on checkpoints and do the mission from the start to have a great chance of achieving that rank. You suck, plain and simple, can't believe you can't realize that the situation can be solved if you weren't such a casual from the start.
>>
>>389471718
Oh I can get an S rank now that I know how to cheese the game, doesn't make me feel better about the fact that the style I beat the rest of this series using is now obsolete because apparently I have to sprint through the map and tranq everyone in the face to get an S whereas previously you could take your time and not tranq anyone, just peacefully walk through guard patterns. Can't do that anymore because guards have elven senses and unpredictable pathing
>>
>>389471958
I had absolutely no idea, this explains how you people got S and I didn't, because unlike what this retard is trying to argue
>>389471718

I'm a seasoned fucking stealth gamer and I've ghosted every stealth game ever made pretty much. Fuck off with that shit, thanks for the cheese info I'll proceed to cheese this poorly-designed scoring system now
>>
>>389471809
Im starting to think this is a retarded bait thread, nobody can be this retarded. Towards the end of GZ before TPPT i was constantly goofing off with the game by doing things like throwing smokes and then planting C4 on the wheels of the tank that can come out in the main mission. It was almost impossible not to get S ranks on hard after learning a couple optimal paths and AI behaviors
>>
>>389471809
You just suck anon, admit it.
>>
>>389471057
Face it, you're just not good enough and all that whining makes you sound even more pathetic.
>>
>all these tears
lmao git gud noob
>>
>>389472215
I like when people who obviously know it's not a matter of skill but of cheese, but still try to do this whole "git gud" like learning a specific cheese tactic suddenly makes my general mechanics improve, I'm the same player and I'm now going to get an S after learning that saving prisoners gives you more points.

By all means though, keep saying I suck even though you were all in the same boat until you figured out how to cheese the system
>>
>>389471809
if you could just wait out every risk it wouldn't be skilled.

plus if you try that in an actual sim like arma you die because they -will- find you eventually.

frankly I can tell the reason you can't manage S is because you are irate right now and you can't ninja quickly if you are not calm.
>>
>>389472375
the reason I can't manage S is because I wasn't saving the other prisoners.

That's literally the only difference between this run and the runs you guys probably had when this game came out, but people like being smug fucks so I get that
>>
>>389472363
Is that mentality of yours that you'll never achieve S rank. Cheese tactics or not it's in the game and people are smart enough to exploit it, so get off from that high horse and suck my cock.
>>
>I can't just autistically learn all the patterns that the guards have to beat the game
>WAHHH, WHY DO I NEED TO HAVE ACTUAL SKILLS AND AWARENESS!?!?!? I CAN BEAT ALL THE OTHER GAMES WITH MY AUTISM!
Jesus
>>
>>389472502
>hur dur I'm so much smarter and a better gamer than you because I went on the internet before you did and learned how to break a system hurrr it's totally a matter of intelligence and not merely wisdom

>>389472604
what you're describing is a stealth game. The fact that this game breaks from that is a unique situation.
>>
File: 1463187380690.jpg (58KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1463187380690.jpg
58KB, 600x450px
>>389472363
You can get an S even without prisoners, it's also easier since you waste a lot of time rescuing them.
Hope you are just baiting tbqh famalam
>>
>>389472736
nonsense, I would have wasted no time saving the guys with chico, I was a couple hundred points off of S and that would have done it, fuck off
>>
>>389469683
If you don't like the rules of the competition stop trying so hard to get the top score you autist. You aren't going to feel better afterwards if it's truly RNG like you say it is
>>
File: maka.jpg (22KB, 440x440px) Image search: [Google]
maka.jpg
22KB, 440x440px
>The fact that this game breaks from that is a unique situation.
non-looping AI is suddenly a bad thing?

I wasn't feeling smug before like you said but I am now, git gud.
>>
>>389473286
it probably doesn't affect you because you've already gotten used to playing this game a different way, I was still playing it like it was MGS3 and apparently that gives you a shit score, good to know. It's not even worth trying because since time is everything it will always be faster to just tranq everyone rather than waiting for an opening in the pattern. Looping AI is important, it actually gives you something to work with, when it's random you have to approach the game differently, less true ghosting and more "gotta tranq everyone in the head and keep running because time time time time"

you have to admit it's a bad system, you'd just rather put me down than agree with me, even though you probably do agree with me. That's how it is on 4chan, I get it. Thanks for the advice about the prisoners, S will be easy now, as will the rest of this game now that I know how you're suppose to play it, i.e. not like a stealth game but like splinter cell blacklist
>>
>>389471372
Just play the game without caring about the letter then.
>>
>>389473693
You can't be serious? Looping AI means
>try something
>it works so I can ALWAYS just do this
>fail for some reason, so I know I can NEVER try this again
>repeat untill you can do it from start to finish
There is no thought, reaction or planning ahead. It's just doing something and seeing if it works or not.

With non-looping AI, you have to observe react and plan ahead. That's simply skill you lack and are not willing to learn.

Adapt or shut the fuck up.
>>
>>389465194
alt + f4 or turn off your console when you get spotted
>>
>>389473693
this is not MGS3. I like to usually take my time as well in TPP because I turn off all the UI aides, but to get the S rank you need to play it like MGS2. Time is important, but you get bonus points for important things.

Seems to me like you're just an autismo that doesn't understand what the AI is like in the game
>>
>>389473947

FUCKING THIS.

Get a grip, OP you magnificent cocksucker.
>>
>>389470878
>I'm bad so the game's bad.
>>
>>389473947
>There is no thought, reaction or planning ahead.

Nonsense. You are putting a grand plan together via trial and error, you might not like that gameplay but that's what stealth gameplay is. You're not just arguing with me, you're discrediting every stealth game ever made before this one, including it's own predecessors. That was a staple of stealth games, they changed it. I'm allowed to bring that up without being called a scrub and being told to adapt, it's an important distinction. "doing something and seeing if it works or not" is called trial and error, it is the foundation of the entire genre. This game uses it too, only the trial is longer and unpredictable and the solution isn't strategic thinking but basic reflex and behavioral changes, i.e. you might be the player that wanted to sneak up and grab that guy, but now since you've trying to shed seconds off your time, you just tranq him instead. A stealth game should rush you along like this, in my opinion.

>observe
yes
>react
yes
>plan ahead
Nope, this is what you can't do. The game is utterly random and so any sort of grand planning is folly, something will change, something will go wrong, some detection glitch will happen, something you took for granted wont work anymore, it doesn't make it more intelligent, it makes you think less, it forces you into a blacklist-esque hunter mode pattern of just shooting everyone in the face, it's not fun gameplay, not nearly as fun as actually sneaking around. If I wanted that I would have stuck with Blacklist, but I wanted a real stealth game. Shame that game's taint has found it's way into this series
>>
>>389474550
>is called trial and error
>it is the foundation of the entire genre
> I wanted a real stealth game
This might be the most retarded opinion I've heard on /v/ in the past few months. Congratulations.
>>
File: Bob.png (395KB, 548x328px) Image search: [Google]
Bob.png
395KB, 548x328px
Do your best, that's all I can tell you
>>
Truly ghosting a mission in TPP gives such a large bonus score that you're guaranteed an S-rank.

That said, anything short of absolute perfection is going to get you a way worse score than just running as fast as possible and getting as many alerts as you like in the process. Time is weighted way too hard. Another absurdity is that cut-scene time counts as time, unless they've patched that since release. I laughed as I skipped Quiet's final mission cut-scenes because I didn't give a shit about the character and knew I'd have to replay the mission if I watched them.
>>
>>389474804
thanks for explaining yourself, your arguments in paragraph 6 were particularly insightful.

>>389474841
>pretend you are playing splinter cell blacklist and sprint through the map headshotting everyone
>do your best

But that's not my best, that's easy. What I was trying to do is harder than what the actual tactics are.
>>
>>389474550
oh my god you are the single biggest autist

stealth gameplay isn't about savescumming and checkpoint restarting

it's about paying attention to your surroundings and devising a plan to overcome your obstacles, even if sometimes things don't go entirely to plan and force you to improvize.

MGSV has excellent gameplay

GIT GUD
>>
>>389474550
Yout sound like the kind of guy that resets whenever he is spotted.
>>
>>389475139
>MGS5 gameplay isn't about savescumming and checkpoint restarting

FTFY, that's definitely what stealth gameplay is, not necessarily MGS5 gameplay.

>it's about paying attention to your surroundings and devising a plan to overcome your obstacles,
>devising a plan

so your plan is run around and shoot everyone in the head with a tranq. Such deep stealth gameplay.

fuck off
>>
File: consider.png (362KB, 838x574px) Image search: [Google]
consider.png
362KB, 838x574px
I have always enjoyed just killing everybody the most in all Metal Gear Games. Fucking sneaking around.
>>
>>389474998
Shooting like a casual is not doing the best at your job.

It's just cheesing it like a lazy person would to get things out of the way without consideration for others.
>>
>>389465194
git gud fagit
>>
>>389475380
it is in this game, because thats what gets you your S scores apparently: skipping cutscenes like mad, sprinting whenever possible, knocking out everyone in an area as quickly as possible because you can't trust them to not be looking at your escape at a certain time.

>>389475481
I already was good, now I've learned that I was too good for this game and I should play it like a casual and tranq everyone while sprinting. I was literally trying to ghost the entire map in one run with dynamic guard setups and ridiculously good AI. What I was doing was extremely hard, whereas the actual solution to getting an S-rank is playing it like a typical casual
>>
>>389465194

Phantom Pain only penalizes you once by withholding a "no retries" bonus.
>>
File: question mark.png (162KB, 301x406px) Image search: [Google]
question mark.png
162KB, 301x406px
So /v/, what was your gameplay style for Ground Zeroes?

If OP is a piece of crap for thinking he can shoot everybody, gun or tranq, to get a magical letter, surely the rest of this thread can do better.
>>
>>389475330
>that's definitely what stealth gameplay is
>stealth games are about quicksaving every 2 seconds and reloading every time something goes wrong
i'm sure you like stealth games but up until this point surely you must have not realized that maybe you're just shit at stealth.

i'm glad the game penalizes shitters like you. you don't need to headshot tranq everyone, you just need to be gud

git gud
>>
File: WOOOOOWWWW.jpg (50KB, 604x604px) Image search: [Google]
WOOOOOWWWW.jpg
50KB, 604x604px
>>389471057
This is fucking DSP-tier.
>>
>>389475647

FYI, Phantom Pain is more varied with how you can acquire points. Ghosting in that game actually gives you a huge bonus that compensates you for playing it slow. There are also bonuses for all sorts of optional objectives. Ground Zeroes is a kinda wonky prototype in nearly every aspect.
>>
>>389476097
>maybe you're just shit at stealth

I wouldn't have been able to ghost every stealth game ever made then, those two facts do not mesh together.

>penalizes shitters like you

For what, not running fast enough? You're defending the time bonus system, even though you probably disagree with it yourself, just so you can try to put me down on the internet. It's not about the actual conversation anymore, it's now "lets make fun of OP and call him bad" show, I get it. Even though I'm probably better than you, but whatever.
>>
>>389476194
You get instant S-rank for finishing mission under 6minutes. Doesnt matter how many guys you kill or be seen.
>>
>>389476194
that gives me hope, at least there's something to look forward too in the main game, this tech demo has given me a lot to bitch about but I realize that these complaints might be specific to ground zeroes.
>>
>>389476097
>a magical letter
It's more than just a magic letter. It's my life
>>
>>389476647
oops, meant to reply to >>389475954
>>
Has there ever been a more pathetic crybaby than OP?
>>
File: 1483336769863.png (242KB, 392x494px) Image search: [Google]
1483336769863.png
242KB, 392x494px
>>389476330
>m-muh ghost
yeah, by savescumming. wow, such skill

>even though you probably disagree with it yourself, just so you can try to put me down on the internet. It's not about the actual conversation anymore, it's now "lets make fun of OP and call him bad" show, I get it. Even though I'm probably better than you, but whatever.
hahaaahahahah dude end your fucking life
you type like an autist and make autistic assumptions about my opinions. congratz on being the biggest autist on this entire board

finish the mission under the time limit, is that so hard? lol
>>
>>389476330
So you "ghosted" every Hitman game and yet you can't get S Rank on GZ? What a fucking liar.
>>
I got an S on the entire mission using stealth.

Ask me anything.
>>
>>389465194
>This is current year, checkpoints are now punished in stealth games.
As they should be.
>>
>>389476920
oh /v/, never change. I expected as much, so I went in having already mentally prepared for the onslaught of "git guds" in all their forms, you guys cant help but shit on OPs even when you agree with them.

>>389476939
stealth has always been more about wisdom than reflex, it's a trial and error genre, or at least it was before Splinter Cell Conviction, then everyone started changing the basics.

I'm not saying it's hard to finish the mission under the time limit, I'm saying the opposite. It's easy, so easy in fact that I don't believe it's top-score-worthy. I don't think speed should be a factor in scoring a player in a stealth game, it's a fundamental belief I hold that has nothing to do with individual talent, that's just a creed that all stealth games should adhere to, this genre is not about going fast. Especially when it clashes with it's own mechanics: you want me to stop at every vista and spot everything, but you also want me to rush? You want me to hide these guard's bodies, but you want me to rush? You want me to crawl through this service duct, even though I could just tranq the two guys and run through the front door 5 times faster? I fail to see how the latter is fundamentally more impressive or fundamentally worth more points just because it was faster.

>>389477151
>can't get an S rank

I can now, I couldn't before I knew how the scoring works. Now I realize I could have saved a lot of points going faster at certain points and saving certain extra prisoners, so I can in fact get an S rank and I will by the time I try this again

>>389477327
the AI isn't designed well-enough to warrant it yet in my opinion. This game has no failsafe for legitimate mechanical glitches and issues, you're treated the same for your own mistakes as you are for the game's mistakes, and there is no recourse. a checkpoint system is like a failsafe for bad development, it's sheer arrogance to assume it's always the player's fault especially in a demo
>>
>>389468452
>it punishes you for trial and error
boo hoo you can die, continue, and still get S rank
>>
>>389477508
>the AI isn't designed well-enough to warrant it yet in my opinion
It is in my opinion.
>>
>>389477769
yeah if you go fast enough you can make up for any sort of error. That's fucking dumb, even if I actually was the worst player in the world that would still be dumb and people in this thread besides me have already hinted at potential scenarios where this style of scoring is in fact dumb and easily exploited.
>>
>>389477939
dumb or not, its the system we got. I agree that its stupid.stupidly easy. I got S rank on every mission on PS3 and pc. dont blame the game for being bad
>>
>>389476553

Also Reflex Mode is even less necessary in PP. In Ground Zeroes alerts are near-instant and the whole base homes in on you. In PP you get around 2 full seconds until the alert triggers, during which you can easily stagger the guard who saw you with a lethal weapon's shot and run up to knock him out.
>>
File: 2015-09-19_00004.jpg (297KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
2015-09-19_00004.jpg
297KB, 1920x1200px
>>389476553
The point system had a lot more added to it, and even gives you a code name based on your style across like the past 3 missions. That said, no bonus short of No Traces can ever make up for time, while time is so valuable that it can nearly always make up for anything else you do. The only thing that can really tank a speed score is multiple alerts, but you're generally moving so fast that after triggering a single alert you just remain perpetually in that same one and don't get dinged multiple times.

It's a shame, but I'm not sure what else they could do. It's not like getting top ranks in earlier games in the series didn't require you to be constantly running your ass off to beat the game in under 3 hours or whatever. Although they had the benefit of being a score across the entire game, instead of missions that can be completed in 5 minutes.

Also there are quite a few missions where the very idea of stealth is kind of a joke, and all you can do is kill faster anyway. On the flip side, the idea of different mission types (extreme and subsistence) were really neat, and I wish most/all missions had a toggle between all modes, instead of them just using them as random filler for the last third of the game.
>>
>>389474550
>The game is utterly random
just like real life.
hey, the game is even giving you a crutch by letting you view everything from a Third Person Perspective.
remember those VR missions in MGS2 where you had to play in first person mode? or the Snake Tales with fixed camera angles, but no radar? that was rough
>>
>>389477508
GO FUCKING PLAY SPLINTER CELL CHAOS THEORY....FUCK OFF
>>
>>389477508
arrogant little crybaby

what are you complaining about? that the stealth genre isn't what you think it should be? to even assume people have the same opinion as you when they clearly stated the opposite is laughable

idiot
>>
>>389465194
What? GZ was piss easy until you come to that helicopter on-rails mission...now that was some luck based bullshit.
>>
>>389478578

Perfect Stealth (the bonus "below" No Traces) is pretty huge, and when you add headshots, takedowns, interrogations, prisoner rescues to it, you can actually play a mission slowly and precisely and still get an easy S-rank. I do it all the time.

I recently had my mind blown when I played "Where Do the Bees Sleep". I took more than one hour for the mission, but beating the Skulls gave me like a 60k score bonus and an S-rank.
>>
>>389479593
There's also the mission type that mandates stealth. Shame there's only 2 that use it. That really could have solved a lot of the problems. Less missions but make them all actually important ones, and then have a toggle between mandated stealth, mandated subsistence, and an extreme variant. Since there's less missions they could have also balanced them a lot better around the special requirements. A lot of the missions feel like they were just throwing shit at the wall to pad out the runtime, and then Konami kicked in the door and told them pencils down and they realized they hadn't bothered to actually finish the game.
>>
>>389465613
Maybe you're just not supposed to get the best rank right away?
Take your time and use as many checkpoints as you want the first time around. You'll always be smarter when you try them later on
>>
File: 1486962988606.jpg (85KB, 537x720px) Image search: [Google]
1486962988606.jpg
85KB, 537x720px
>>389478578
>enemy combat alerts 1
>no traces
>>
>year 2000
>games generally didnn't give you fancy letters and achievements by meeting random criteria, you had to make your made-up challenges to experience the game in a variety of ways without nobody patting you on the shoulder. Extreme freedom
>year 2017
>gamers get upset about playing a certain way to meet random criteria to get pointless achievement that doesn't necessarily indicates mastery of the game. They don't come up with their own rule, they don't experimentate nor acquire actual mastery by doing things that the game doesn't expect you to do. Total restriction
>>
>>389482034
Wow, it's as if people who play video games want to follow the canon story of a video game more.
>>
>>389480497
>less missions
nigger i will fucking cqc you
>>
>>389482172
>venom snake getting a platinum trophy on ps4 is part of the in game canon
>>
File: 1504119053965.jpg (149KB, 1014x676px) Image search: [Google]
1504119053965.jpg
149KB, 1014x676px
>>389465886
>No reflex mode
Autism. Get S rank first and then go back for no reflex mode.
>>
You realize you can tranq the guards right? Get the ones you know will have a chance of spotting you, you can even git gud enough to tranq them from range, up to 60m reliably and more if you learn the drop rate. If I remember you can tranq guards along the entire way and still finish without the first one waking up. You probably would have had the S if you ctually explored the map and found the other prisoners. Missed shots and magazines are useful for distracting enemies as you sneak by. Approaching an enemy from behind will cause them to stop, you can tell them to get on the ground and they will stay like that until found or an alarm is raised. It is a good stealth mission you are just approaching it too rigidly. The variation in guard patrols is a great feature, what kind of real life soldier patrols the exact same route multiple times with no deviation?
>>
>>389482336
>having to wait an extra 4 second every time i want to run up and cqc a guy.
nah
Thread posts: 126
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.