[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

West vs Japan

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 213
Thread images: 26

>You once said that when you went to work for Kojima at Konami, you possessed “westerner’s knowledge” that was a hindrance rather than a help.

>“Hindrance” is probably not the word. It is a hindrance if you persist in that way of thinking while the team is going in a different direction.
It’s not just language. It’s a way to perceive games, and the user. I see it on Splatoon right now. You look at Splatoon, and then people look at Overwatch. These are two totally different games. Overwatch is a self-service game. You boot the game and say, “Hey, I like this mode. I like this character. And I’m only ever going to play this mode, this character, and this map.” You’re like, “I’m going to get what I want.”
But in Japan, everything is tailored. You’ve probably heard Sheena Iyengar’s TED talk, in which she went to a restaurant in Japan and tried to order sugar in her green tea. The people at the cafe said, “One does not put sugar in green tea,” and then, “We don’t have sugar.” But when she ordered coffee instead, it did come with sugar! In Japan, there’s a sense of, “We’re making this thing for you, and this is how we think this thing is better enjoyed.” This is why, in Splatoon, the maps rotate every couple of hours. And the modes change. “I bought this game. Why can’t I just enjoy this game the way I want?” That’s not how we think here. Yes, you did buy the game. But we made this game. And we’re pretty confident about how this game should be enjoyed. If you stick with us, and if you get past your initial resistance, you’re going to have the time of your life with this game. You’re really going to love it.

Are Japanese devs right?
>>
>>389459819
no, they're stubborn retards
>>
Yes, but not in the climate of shooters. Being cut off from gamemodes and maps you like based on time is far from a "tailored experience", it's just stupid.
>>
In a way, yes. Many western devs have mentality of wanting to allow players to do everything any time.
But Splatoon is an outlier. I can understand the map-rotation, but different game modes being in rotation is kinda stupid.
>>
>>389459819
It really is a difference of culture. Asian culture tends to be strictly regimented and have certain nuances, like not being able to leave work until the boss does first.
>>
>>389459819
>“westerner’s knowledge” that was a hindrance rather than a help.
>Are Japanese devs right?

It does when it comes to female character design
>>
>>389459819
Fuck no, i do whatever i want with my pc and any fag that thinks otherwise may proceed do go fuck himself.
>>
OP is a sourcless faggot once again.

Many good Japanese games involve choice. Many games from both East and West are quite linear.

Not like you get to choose a map in overwatch, so I dont know where this tailored experience idea is coming from. You pick your character/weapons and the basic mode you play. You dont always even have total control over the mode.

Its one thing to hate the game, I get that, but have you fuckers actually even tried it?
>>
My opinion is that chink developers are a bunch of faggots who develop games for children or pedo manchildren
>>
>>389461197
http://www.rollingstone.com/glixel/features/splatoon-2-hideo-kojima-nintendo-japanese-games-w501322

Google is hard.
>>
>>389459819
>sugar in her green tea
Stopped reading here
>>
As long as you understand cultural differences, you can appreciate both western and Japanese games. Western games are "we made this playground, now go play in it. " Whereas Japanese games are like amusement parks "Enjoy these rides we made at your leisure." Rides can be fun, but there's only one way to ride them.
>>
>playing tf2 on teufort
>vote comes up for what map to play next
>pick tc hydro
>everyone else picks teufort again
>go to a different server
>same thing happens
really makes you think
>>
>>389459819
>she went to a restaurant in Japan and tried to order sugar in her green tea
HOLY SHIT PLS SOMEONE KILL THIS TASTELESS BITCH
>>
>>389461826
Here's the TED talk if you want more.

https://www.ted.com/talks/sheena_iyengar_on_the_art_of_choosing/details#t-391266
>>
But people have always hated pandering. Big devs just don't understand that.
>>
>>389459819
Nah, fuck that.

I wouldn't look towards Japan's society at all when it comes to doing shit right. They lie about their crime rate, their birth rate is on the decline, the average work life there makes wageslaving look like working at 10/10 fun job. The old > young attitude to everything (taken to a ridiculous extreme, of course) ruins a bunch of shit and far too often you can directly blame the old executives at places like Capcom and Sega for really dumb shit pushed out by them. There's a reason why their suicide rate is so high and their birth rates are so low.

It's ass-backwards enough to make America look better. And I doubt it'll survive another couple of centuries operating the same way it has.
>>
not with shooters.
2 maps in a shooter is retarded. Especially in a game you're trying to cater to the west, and get money from the west. People in the west, unlike japan, don't have an hour or two every day to play, they (typically) have 0 hours to play most days, then a day off a week to play 8-9 hours. When they get 3 or 4 maps for those 8-9 hours, they're going to not want to play. That's why most people hate jap MMOs, they have stamina systems because the japanese were literally killing themselves from exhaustion before they started making laws forcing fatigue systems into their online games. It's also why mobile games have those systems, fun fact.
>>
>>389459819
Yes, most consumers do not actually know what they want and sometimes having too many options is a bad thing.
>>
>>389459819
>>389460054
>>389460065
>>389461050
>>389462179
>>389462228
Once again nu-/v/ fails to understand that two things can exist simultaneously while not being identical.

You can have it both ways if you stop giving each other hate fueled handjobs all day.
>>
File: 1502042328117.jpg (20KB, 306x306px)
1502042328117.jpg
20KB, 306x306px
>>389462060
IMHO, there is nothing sadder than a blatantly pandering indie dev

Like wow, cool. You are basically a hobbyist, or a wine mom painting pop culture art. Go fuck yourself.
>>
>>389460404
This
In principle, giving players the freedom to choose how they play the game is good. But western devs have gone too far with this, and are willing to gut the game to let the player do whatever they want, whenever they want.
Arbitrarily restricting how you can play the game isn't good, but it beats bending over backwards to please the casuals.
>>
>>389462060
No. People hate pandering when it's not pandering to themselves.

Also big devs make the big money so they understand at least something - like pandering to the masses and ignoring you.
>>
>>389462515
>you can have it both ways
I can't in splatoon. I just launched it and guess what? 2 maps right now. Not maps I like either, so what am I gonna do? Go play something else that lets me play what I want. Go figure, I'm not alone in that either, and it's why no one plays, much less watches, splatoon.
>>
>>389462515
I believe they have the right to try either or even both ways.

I'm not entitled to like it. If I want green tea with sugar I'll have it if I have to tell them to leave it without flavoring and just add it with sugar I brought myself. But I won't, I fucking hate tea. Tastes terrible.
>>
>>389462721
Stop playing shitty games for children. That'd be a start.
>>
>>389462648
This. Western devs give in to fan whining too often whereas Japanese devs will tell you to fuck off
>>
>>389462721
If you had friends, you wouldn't have any restrictions.
>>
>>389462820
japs devs pander to autistic sex deprived weebs

also this>>389462809
>>
>>389462721
What do you mean by no one play splatoon anon?
>>
File: centrist.jpg (12KB, 260x194px)
centrist.jpg
12KB, 260x194px
>>389462515
>>
>>389459819
Dead fucking wrong.
>>
>>389459819
Japan won't serve you sugar in your green tea because it's fucking stupid. In Japan, green tea isnt sweet unless it's a matcha snack. I think it's more of an AMERICAN idea of having the person who pays for a service have it however they like as a bottom line, there are plenty of countries that don't agree with this philosophy and Japan is one of them.

Not to mention, Japan has a cultural attachment to Green Tea, it's like asking a for ice with your scotch in some places, it's just insulting.
>>
>>389462702
hmm. think you're having your own little headspace spar. enjoy.
>>
>>389463526
>it's just insulting
Grow the fuck up. If I want something retarded like that and paid for it, then fucking give it to me.
>>
>>389459819

absolutely fucking wrong
dont know why japs hate choice
>>
>>389459819
>That’s not how we think here. Yes, you did buy the game. But we made this game. And we’re pretty confident about how this game should be enjoyed.
This analogy works with mods and spineless devs who can't tell their playerbase "No". Not a lot of things make me salty, but finding Salmon Run is timed just perfectly so that I only get to work/sleep while a decent weapon rotation passes by is not fucking fun. Same for waking up to a shit map rotation in the 2 hours before I need to leave. A randomly generated map rotation is not a tailored experience, this is just a frustration simulator.
>>
>>389463691
>Americans
Don't you have some steak to slather in ketchup?
>>
File: 1502057799074.jpg (328KB, 800x600px)
1502057799074.jpg
328KB, 800x600px
>>389463191
I suppose you're literally too stupid to realize why this image doesn't apply to this situation.
>>
It's an interesting philosophy I guess.

Westerners are extremely individualistic, so it makes sense that we want to personally tailor our own experiences.

The Japanese have a completely different culture, so it's interesting to see how that even effects the way they design games.
>>
>>389463971
>you know what's best for people
You can mock them all you want, but what gives you the right to tell them how to live their lives?
>>
File: 1199585420014.jpg (25KB, 267x252px)
1199585420014.jpg
25KB, 267x252px
>>389463691
You aren't entitled to it. It's their business, they're entitled to refuse you, you don't get to make demands unless they decide to allow it.

>if I want it I should get it no ifs ands or buts
Maybe it's you who ought to grow up fag

You might need to do a little growing up anon.
>>
>>389459819
>we know you don't like this dick up your ass but just stop resisting and you'll start to like it soon we promise
>>
File: 1360945747870.jpg (193KB, 550x550px)
1360945747870.jpg
193KB, 550x550px
>>389464284
Your argument only makes sense if in this scenario you intentionally paid money to get a dick put in your ass. That makes you gay. fag.
>>
>>389464431
>you're not allowed to play this game you just bought without taking a dick up your ass
>>
>>389464250
Then they lost a customer for refusing to give me fucking sugar for tea. It's one thing if they don't carry sugar for whatever reason but that's not the case. They have it, I'm supporting their business, and I want sugar with my tea; that's all there is to it.
>>
>>389462179
Japan has higher birthrates than western Europe my man. You can belittle Japan's society all you want, but the West aren't any better when you look at something through bias.
>>
>>389459819
>If you stick with us, and if you get past your initial resistance, you’re going to have the time of your life with this game. You’re really going to love it.
This sounds really sinister and topical but I can't put my finger on what it is exactly.

Like I feel like I've heard this line of reasoning coming out of a lot of western media lately as well. So maybe we're not that different from Japan
>>
File: 1389847084720.jpg (46KB, 600x450px)
1389847084720.jpg
46KB, 600x450px
>>389464748
>then they lost a customer
I imagine they'll be ok considering in their culture you were a tiny exception to the norm
>I'm supporting their business
irrelevant. It's their choice you don't have a say. You're an entitled shit.
>>
>>389464160
Apparently the same "rights" people have to tell Japan that their culture is wrong.
>>
File: 1504408830481.jpg (34KB, 431x455px)
1504408830481.jpg
34KB, 431x455px
>There are people who prefer japanese games over western games merely because they're made by japanese devs
>There are replies and posts on /v/ where people reveal that the only games they can recommend are weeb shit
>There are people who hate AAA and indie games because of the rotten apples in the entire bunches
>>
>>389463806
You knew Spla2n was going to be like that because Splatone was the same way. Hell, even ARMS has the exact same problem. Everything is shuffled and randomized so you have to try new maps and modes even if you don't want to, if you want to be a part of their online spaces.

if you knew your work schedule would be strict ahead of time why did you buy a game clearly aimed toward people with a lot of free time like splatoon?
>>
>>389465163
>there are people who prefer western games merely because they're made by north american devs
>there are replies and posts on /v/ where people reveal that the only games they can recommend are western AAA shit
>there are people who hate AA and anime-styled games because of the rotten apples in the entire bunches

See, I can do it too.
>>
The best games ever made are usually japanese so they are probably right,they offer you a experience that is good enough and doesn't require modding.
>>
File: 1504703711595.jpg (72KB, 677x813px)
1504703711595.jpg
72KB, 677x813px
>>389465297
>There are people who prefer japanese games over western games merely because they're made by japanese devs
>There are replies and posts on /v/ where people reveal that the only games they can recommend are weeb shit
>There are people who hate AAA and indie games because of the rotten apples in the entire bunches

See, I can do it too. Wait a second
>>
>>389465597
I'm glad we've discovered this revelation together.
>>
>>389459819
>western mentality is a hindrance when developing/playing japanese games
>japanese mentality is a hindrance when developing/playing western games
Eye oppening.
>>
>>389465597
Indies are great, 99% of AAA is fucking garbage though
>>
File: ....jpg (45KB, 489x580px)
....jpg
45KB, 489x580px
>>389465597
>there are games preferred by westerners merely because easterners developed them
>there are poeple on /v/ replying to recommend only games of easter excrement
>there are AAA and Indie games hated by people because apples spoiled by a single rotten one were there.
I can't do it.
>>
>>389465163
>>389465297
>>389465597
>there are people who prefer no games merely because they would rather shitpost
>there are replies and posts on /v/ where people reveal that the only games they can recommend are games they have never played
>there are people who hate Japanese, AAA and indie games because they are too autistic to play anything other than their Skinner box of choice
>>
The last time Western games were legitimately good was late 90s era PC games, those games were fucking gold. Now you're all about loot boxes and RNG on RNG on RNG.
>>
>>389464748
>Then they lost a customer for refusing to give me fucking sugar for tea.

I don't think any restaurant has ever cared about this at any point, especially if it was some foreign tourist making demands. 'Losing a customer' matters to large business contracts, not people buying 500 yen sugar free tea.
>>
Nah

The map rotation shit in splatoon is retarded. They didn't even bother to increase the number of maps for Splatoon 2 which doesn't even make sense to me.
>>
>>389459819
>You’ve probably heard Sheena Iyengar’s TED talk, in which she went to a restaurant in Japan and tried to order sugar in her green tea
So some fat american cow tried to put sugar in fucking green tea?
consider all her opinions immediately discarded.
>>
>>389465220
Because even with the faults it's still the only shooter I care about anymore. Every T/FPS on the market feels bland, and Splatoon's gimmick is done too well to pass up. desu, the only complaint I have against Splatoon 2's map list is Moray Towers. Salmon Run was an unknown factor until I purchased it, but they should just do nightly resets of SR.
>>
>>389463691
Let me put things in perspective for you, there are some places in japan (not even high end places), where they will not serve if you are a new customer, no matter if local or foreing, you have to be introduced by a regular first
>>
File: 1504677146665.png (596KB, 687x690px)
1504677146665.png
596KB, 687x690px
>>389465805
>>389465925
>There are japanese games who prefer people over japanese devs merely because they're made by western games
>There are weeb shit and games on /v/ where people that the only replies they can recommend are posts
>There are rotten apples who hate entire bunches because of the AAA games in the entire indie games
>>
>>389463526
Except it's traditionally served with Wagashi. Having a sweet to eat with your tea is just putting sugar in with extra steps.
>>
>>389465927
This. I see this shit all the time where I work. We do all we can to make our big contract customers happy, if someone who rarely buys from us complains about something upper management gives zero shits.
>>
>>389461826
Green tea turns bitter if steeped at too high of a temp. I'd want sugar to cover up shit tea too.
>>
>>389462228
meanwhile at pubg

onemap
>>
>>389466107
>>389465805
This is getting out of hand boys
>>
>>389466012
Fair enough, personally I find the gyro controls disorienting as fuck and that seems to be the encouraged way to play that gives those who 'get' it a distinct aiming advantage. The campaign was also a bit light in my opinion

but I get the notion that it is the only thing like it on the market. I really liked the music and the boss fights
>>
>>389463806
Salmon Run is fine, it is up 24 hours or so, so you can play the day it is up.
Map rotation is also not bad at all since it force you to know your way through the maps, it has becomes one of my favorite things about the game, to learn how to move on different maps.

The only inexcusable thing is rank modes rotation, fuck that idea, I don't want to play all three equally, I want to play the ones I like more the most.
>>
>>389466246
The gyro controls, when they click, are a godsend over it being just a twin stick shooter. You wind up having your right stick for blunt X-axis turning, and the fine shot placement and wagglan to sling paint everywhere is with the motion controls. It's like you're using a mouse with a stick on it.
>>
>>389465341
>The best games ever made
But both Tony Hawk and GTA isn't japanese made.
>>
>>389466054
A lot of japan operates by merit-through-association from what I can tell. Everyone knows someone who knows someone.
>>
File: pancakes.jpg (233KB, 1247x888px) Image search: [Google]
pancakes.jpg
233KB, 1247x888px
>>389459819
>I’m only ever going to play this mode, this character, and this map.
what kind of turbo-autist thinks like this?
>>
>>389459819
Different people have different tastes.

At any rate, Japan is not particularly known for making acclaimed and renowned multiplayer first person shooters so I'm not sure why people are giving their opinions weight.
>>
There is no group of people more entitled and arrogant than Americans, I swear to God.

>go to foreign countries
>instead of taking in their culture, their way of life to experience something new they demand everything be catered to their American tastes or else.
>>
>>389466054
no wonder their economy sucks LMFAO
>>
>>389466363
>Tony Hawk

Is this the late 90s?
>>
>>389464748
That's exacly how it works, they have service a certain way, people who like it stay, other go somewhere else, so now the people that stay enjoy their service and they provide said service in the way they think is best.
>>
>>389465003
Sounds like the beginning to typical corruption porn.
>>
>>389466442
Imagine being so obsessed with America that you inject complaining about Americans into every thread
>>
>>389466469
Actually the yen is doing extremely well.
>>
>>389459819
There are pros and cons to japanese/west ideologies.

For the west, making your own experience is a wonderful thing, but it falls apart in team based multiplayer, using Overwatch since you chose that, look at all the countless sob stories of people losing games because everyone wanted to dps, or how people threw a hissy fit because they didn't get their character of choice. People are trying to play the game they paid for the way they want too, but it can make a for a shitty team based multiplayer experience for the other person.
>>
Open world cancer has been pushed by the west for that reason,people want to be free to go anywhere even if the game is empty or devoid of features.
>>
>>389466437
The example given for Japan isn't a FPS, and it is more about the different mentalities and not about what is better for a FPS.
>>
>>389466583
yeah the "get past your initial resistance" thing sounds like what someone brainwashing you would say.
>>
I enjoy both Western and Eastern design philosophies for different reasons and different genres.
>>
File: 1501827832376.png (140KB, 330x236px)
1501827832376.png
140KB, 330x236px
>>389466426
Every single overblacked blizzdrone.
>>
>>389466323
>I want to play the ones I like more the most.
that would make other modes barren if just ONE popular youtuber prefers one mode over the other

they get more accurate data on how to balance things on all modes the way it is now because they are all played
>>
>>389466693
It is brainwashing. Persistence wears down resistance, people don't realize that propaganda these days is done subtly, not crammed into your face all at once.
>>
>>389466854
Maybe in Japan. I would say the western propaganda machine has been pretty open and transparent about its intentions this past year. I think western journalists have simply forgotten that any subtlety or gray area exists at all in coverage of news.
>>
>>389466693
It was more the whole "you'll love it in the end~" bit that reminds me.
>>
>>389467028
sometimes i miss my ERP days. sometimes. corruption of innocence is a marvelous kink
>>
>>389466650
Except some mentalities are better for fpses and some are worse.

At any rate, the most successful japanese multiplayer games are fighters, and players use their freedom of choice to specialize in one or two characters routinely.
>>
>>389466984
You say that yet no one in the West says anything because being perceived as a bigot is worse than raping someone.
>>
>>389466838
>people would choose modes based on what one youtuber says
Fuck this shit, why do teenagers like youtubers so much?
>>
>>389466763
So do i but that's not allowed in this world
>>
>Look at what happened between Microsoft and Platinum Games. You have Platinum Games, one of the best developers ever, under Hideki Kamiya, one of the top game designers that we’ve ever seen. The man cannot make a bad game. He wouldn’t know how. And it still didn’t work out. Kamiya-san is in my top five, definitely. And I think that my top five is all Japanese.
>>
File: 1385288163527.gif (2MB, 235x180px)
1385288163527.gif
2MB, 235x180px
>>389466107

>西洋のゲームよりも日本のゲームを好むのは、日本の開発者が作ったものだからです
>/ v /には、人々が唯一推奨するゲームはweebu shitu
>AAAやインディーゲームが嫌いな人は、腐ったリンゴを束にしているためです
>>
>>389467193
Because their parents are inattentive sacks of shit
>>
>>389467193
so they can have a pretend friend

they have gigantic orgasms when a streamer pays attention to one of their messages

its how bad parenting is these days
>>
>>389467251
My fucking sides
>>
File: 1345832410196.jpg (49KB, 649x638px)
1345832410196.jpg
49KB, 649x638px
>>389467251

> It is because Japanese developers prefer Japanese games over western games
> / v /, the only game recommended by people is weebu shitu
> People who dislike AAA and Indy games because they are bundled rotten apples
>>
>>389466323
I get schedules where I work->sleep->work with a few hours to play SR. I've missed it plenty of times.

>>389466838
I don't think e-celebs would be able to influence that much. Even if an e-celeb actually played splatoon, if they made all modes fun then every mode should have about the same amount of players. The playerbase might get too thin to support 4 game modes + league, but I don't think that'll happen for a while.
>>
>>389465220
Because nobody researches games, they always impulse buy and/or pre-order based on trailer hype. They then blame the game for being shit as the reason their money was wasted.

Yes, the game being shit is at fault, but 10 minutes of research can save 59.99
>>
>>389467182
People are speaking out. Even Antifa has been discredited by MSM now when video evidence can no longer be denied.

The problem is the "influence power gap" between the average objecting individual and Fucking Google, or facebook or twitter. It is near-impossible if not outright impossible to speak over a corporation. You need the CEO dead to rights in court for a corporation to suffer or change for what they did. That's never gonna happen for the fifteen or so companies that control all online information and discourse.

so yeah no wonder "no one in the west says anything", where are they gonna say it? not on youtube unless you want a "limited state", not on twitter unless you want to be shadowbanned or outright banned. and not on facebook, where nobody intelligent would see it anyway. so where do you think they should speak up?
>>
>>389467676
>they made all modes fun
yeah good fucking luck with that, some people will ALWAYS prefer one over another, and things end up like tf2 where 40% of games is fucking 2fort
>>
This is actually an interesting interview, so why couldn't you make a decent thread about it, you gigantic faggot?
>>
>>389461631
>play CS:GO
>can't find a game unless it's mirage or dust 2
>>
>>389467937
People are going to have different tastes. Hopefully roughly 25% of the playerbase will stick to each mode though.
>>
File: shadow realm.jpg (43KB, 582x741px)
shadow realm.jpg
43KB, 582x741px
>>389464160
>>389463691

If you want to eat slop out a trough you can. Just don't expect a restaurant to serve it to you.
>>
>>389467676
>I don't think e-celebs would be able to influence that much.
it took ONE video for people to pick up chargers enmass, now they're all over the place

they have influence alright
>>
>You’ve suggested that Western devs playtest too much. Why?
>It’s the designer’s job to make playtests as unnecessary as possible. It’s a cheeky statement, but it’s true. When you hear what Ubisoft, Naughty Dog, Valve, all those guys are doing--they track your eyes, they do it for months with hundreds of players--that’s a waste of money. If you feel that you need that much playtesting, and if playtesting results in significant fixes to your game, something went wrong before the playtests
>>
>>389459819
>and this map.” You’re like, “I’m going to get what I want.”
But that's wrong. You can't pick the map in overwatch. The difference is that you aren't locked out from maps in overwatch based on the time of day you play.
>>
>>389468583
>just make the game perfect on your first try, why is that so hard?
Fucking nips.
>>
>>389459819

>Yes, you did buy the game. But we made this game

yeah but fuck you I bought the game
>>
File: 1504112411158.jpg (68KB, 428x269px)
1504112411158.jpg
68KB, 428x269px
>>389466442
ummmm you mean the brits
>>
>>389468704
I think he means changing core aspects of the game, not bugs. Which is true, a lot of times, just listening to the opinions is not good.
If you change your game on significant ways because some sample size told you, you had no vision at what you wanted.
>>
>>389468583
>>389468704
I think hes also implying that western developers dont play their own games, and rely on some one else to do all the play testing
>>
>>389468886
>British worst behaved
Why
I feel like the Chinese should be higher
>>
>>389466426
Can't they just make pancakes in Hell or something? Fucking demons I swear
>>
>>389469003
>you had no vision at what you wanted.
which is what he is exactly egging on western devs form

just look at any modern western game

they have NO idea what they're doing
>>
There are good games made by Japanese developers, but I think most here would agree that a lot of Japanese game companies are fucking retarded.

For two examples, see Konami and Capcom.
>>
>>389468301
Nobody would discuss it then. You need to make a click bait thread
>>
>>389459819
>Hey, I like this mode. I like this character. And I’m only ever going to play this mode, this character, and this map.

Has this person ever played Overwatch?
>>
>>389468301
This thread isn't that bad, really. Each point that Amaro hammers on all fall around a similar topic, but you could probably pick any one answer and make a pretty good thread around it. The interview is pretty good and is an example of what gaming journalism should be.
>>
Japan has been following Western devs for a while now

MGSV & FFXV both take notes from Western games
Hell Splatoon is obviously going after the Western shooter craze also
>>
File: 1503320184703.jpg (115KB, 1920x1080px)
1503320184703.jpg
115KB, 1920x1080px
meanwhile in the interview

Tell me more about that. How does the Japanese approach to game design differ from the Western approach?
There are several Japanese approaches. Every company has its own culture. It seems to me, when I look at the way game design was done at Kojima Productions, the way it’s done at Capcom and Nintendo, the way I feel it’s being done at Platinum Games or From Software, I feel there’s a lot more importance and focus given to game mechanics over world, setting, story, message, all that stuff.

I’m stereotyping, but in the West, scope, visuals, and features are the main attraction. For example, when we used to have Kojima Productions L.A.—we had an office in Los Angeles—we would get proposals for new games, pitches. It always started with: “This is the world you’re in. This is the experience I’m going to give you.” And gameplay was relegated to page 5 or 6 or 10. It was always about who you’re playing, who is the character, what’s going on, but not the “how,” how am I playing this?

In Japan, a pitch is a page, maybe two. The first page you write what the game is about and how you play it. And the second page, maybe you need an illustration. We don’t care about who, or what the story is, what the game world is, all of this doesn’t really matter.
>>
File: gyarumoon.png (435KB, 500x643px)
gyarumoon.png
435KB, 500x643px
>>389459819
keep "western" women away from japan thx
>>
>>389469268
Capcom went to shit when it tried to appeal western audience.
I don't even think that western games are bad or anything, but they should do what they know to do well.
>>
>>389469437
>MGSV & FFXV both take notes from Western games

And they fucking suck,really makes you think.
>>
>>389469609
They suck because they are unfinished, not because of Western game design
>>
>>389469437
>Splatoon is obviously going after the Western shooter craze also
Not really, it was more about looking at shooters and then saying "hey, a shooter could be fun" and then made everything completely different except for the part you shoot with guns, even the way you move is completely different.
>>
File: 1458169498579.jpg (54KB, 640x640px)
1458169498579.jpg
54KB, 640x640px
>>389459819
>Can I have some sugar for my tea?
>No

What the fuck Japan
>>
>>389469745
MGS V and FFXV are shit because they tried to do what every shitty western game does,a vast open world with nothing in it.
>>
>>389469759
They also made the online play more limited than Halo 2 from 2004, but based Japan
>>
>>389459819
>“westerner’s knowledge” that was a hindrance rather than a help
tfw to intelligent
>>
>>389469916
Well, yeah, like I said, it is completely different which doesn't means necessarily better. It has its pros and cons.
>>
>>389469437
Splatoon takes nothing from western shooters. Or any shooter. It's an anomaly made by the most out-of-touch game company in the world from an engineering prototype that had black and white cubes painting the floor. Nothing about it is standard because the people who made it don't even seem to be aware of other shooters. Not even design-wise, even technical aspects. It's probably the only shooter in the market that uses a mesh peer-to-peer network, because everyone else already knows it's not a good idea.
>>
>>389459819
It depends. Americans do it too. You go to a fancy restaurant and order a steak and then ask "where the A1 steak sauce?" and you get shot.
>>
>>389469061
>making pancakes in perpetually 1000 degree environment
No, they can't.
>>
>>389469437
>There are people who think that Japanese game designers have begun adapting certain elements of Western game design, especially in open-world games like Metal Gear Solid V and Breath of the Wild.

>I don’t think so. From the design meetings that I have at work, that’s not what I’m getting. I think, in three years on MGSV, I heard a Western game mentioned maybe once. That was on Ground Zeroes, and the discussion was about the circular enemy cone--when you get seen, how do you express that you’ve been seen by someone who is not displayed on the screen? If an enemy is watching you from the side and behind, how do we communicate this? At the time, Far Cry got mentioned.

>When a design discussion takes place, you usually don’t refer to other developers’ games. You talk about your game, and in very specific contexts and situations. In Japan, the pride about the craft is very high. You almost never hear another game being mentioned, whether it is a Japanese game or a Western game, during any design discussions. That’s contrary to the West. When I was in the West, I heard about other games on a weekly or daily basis.
>>
>>389459819
>some dumb weeb wrote all that just because japs took a second of their time scratching two of his entry level fetishes of loli and soft furry
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>389468886
Where is this from?
>>
File: GOODBYE.gif (568KB, 245x250px)
GOODBYE.gif
568KB, 245x250px
>>389462648
>Arbitrarily restricting how you can play the game isn't good, but it beats bending over backwards to please the casuals.

>Restricting not good

This is why japs still make better games you dumb fool!

Learn to try something else instead of trying to have everything cater to you becasue you are weak or suck at a fucking video game of all fucking things!

This is one of the main reasons why western games suck ass for the last 2-3 gens and why the Ps4 is still on top while western garbage like xbox is ass and in the trash
>>
>>389470208
What the fuck are talking about anon the team who made have played other shooters.
>>
>>389470830
But 90% of the PS4 software sales are Western AAA trash.
>>
>>389464084
What Heroes 3 mod?
>>
>>389470504
>Slow down
>Regen health
>2 wep limit
>Japan didn't pay attention to Western games, they came up with these all by themselves
>>
>>389461631
Exactly.
Map rotation is needed unless your game is like dota where the map is a standart
>>
>>389470964
Nonsense!

Im talking about good games which western fucks don't know how to make anymore!

All western games use the same fucking formula over and over again to try and make money of whats trending while japan still innovates(see the switch)!

All western shooting games play the same cause Call of duty homos and halo homos only know and understand those 2 styles of gameplay!
>>
>>389470208
If you can't see the things that Splatoon has borrowed from western shooters, then you're either stupid or blind. It's the reason why you have the special weapons. In the first game there was the Inkstrike. It's why the game has a dedicated grenade button.
>>
>>389459819
The restrictions in the way you play Splatoon isn't because they think it's better that way, but it's to add a new level of interactivity where you're paying attention to upcoming modes and maps and making wanting to play the game at certain times.

In our modern world where content just gets dumped and you're free to consume it at whatever pace you want, sometimes it's nice to have some structure to it because it's actually annoying to have to choose all the time to fit your specific tastes you don't really care about.

It's why I still listen to the radio when driving. There's a certain level where I care about what I'm listening to so I'll listen to certain stations, but I don't really care what those stations play within reason. It's most enjoyable when something you enjoy just happens to be offered at that time too.
>>
>>389471242
The game in itself is still way more innovative than any western shooter since halo 1
>>
>>389470774
>soft furry

Like this?
>>
>>389471898
Splatoon just ripped off Color Wars though
>>
>>389468886
China should be first and Italian should be second
>>
>>389472125
What?
>>
>>389472125
Splatoon is a ripoff of De Blob though
>>
>>389459819
This is pure bullcrap.

Just look at Disgaea. The average /v/irgin runs away screaming with how much of a CYOA the game is.
>>
>>389472512
A game that no almost no one knew existed and was only brought up to say that splatoon copied it.
>>
>>389459819
Yes. Most of the People won't leave their comfort zone unless they're forced to do so and leaving the comfort zone makes things more exciting. Being comfy is good but when everything is comfy you stop feeling anything beyond mild satisfaction. Overcoming your limitations is what really shoots your satisfaction level sky high.
>>
>>389472728
Do you have several more examples from various different companies?
>>
>>389472991
Dragon Quest, traditional Final Fantasy,.Final Fantasy: Tactics, Front Mission, Armored Core,...
>>
>>389459819

so japan is apple
>>
>>389473175
I think you missed the point of the article, re-read it again
>>
>>389459819

>splatoon 2
>YOU SHOULD PLAY HOW WE TELL YOU
>Breath of the Wild
>PLAY HOW YOU WANT

really stimulates the neurons
>>
>>389473251
>Japanese pigeonhole you into a specific game.
>Throw up a good bunch of examples across many genres that are all known as extremely diverse games that are playable in a million ways.
>You don't get it.
>>
>>389473314
>play how you want
>as long as you want to kill the same 3 enemies over and over

botw was limited as fuck
>>
>>389469916
Still less limited than Halo 3 was, oh right based MURRKA
>>
>>389473470
In the same way Overwatch, the example from the OP, lets you play however you want so long as you're shooting some chucklefuck with a gun (or whatever meme weapon you happen to have). It's super limited in that regard.
>>
>>389473419
>class changing means the game isnt pigeon-holed

Sorry anon, it's not worth trying to explain things with you, try to understand it a bit better and you'll what everyone is talking about
>>
>>389474012
>Class changing.

For one, you are creating classes.
Doesn't work for the example of Disgaea, doesn't work for Armored Core, ...
>>
>>389462864
If he had friends he wouldn't be posting on /v/
>>
>>389466426
>Watch Dunkey video on OW
>He picks a character
>Dozens of other players dogpile on him and start "suggesting" he should play this or the other character for some god damn reason
>They won't shut up about it and sound genuinely annoyed even if he gets kills and all

That kind of turbo-autists it seems. Like, i remember my TF2 days and how often too many players in a game decided to pick Sniper or Spy, ruining the balance of the team and thus prompting the other players to suggest picking something else. That's understandable. But that video I'm talking about was baffling
>>
File: 1388310408374.jpg (57KB, 919x720px)
1388310408374.jpg
57KB, 919x720px
>>389469540
Rich was right all along

>Guys, i have this awesome idea for a game, you play as a knight of the round table in a steampunk London and hunt down werewolves!
>Oh cool, what kind of game will it be?
>Uh i don't know... third person shooter?
>>
>>389466165
You think a Japanese restaurant would overheat their tea? They drink that shit like water, I'm sure they know how it's best consumed.
>>
>>389476030
Westcucks are used to tipping for their late and burnt food
>>
>>389477214
Tipping is an american phenomenon
>>
>>389459819
In this case, with Splatoon? Fuck no. This is just a huge excuse to timegate shit to try and make the game feel like it has far more content than it does and to keep you playing.
I love Splatoon at its core, but many of the decisions they make with the game are nothing short of infuriating.
>>
>>389459819
both games are mediocre gameplay-wise but have good artstyles
>>
>>389472728
Mechanically it is. While it's bound by the fact that it's an SRPG and has a one-way story, you are never, even once, forced to use a single member from the main cast. As you progress, you unlock different potential demons to recruit, and can literally field a team of only Angels and Clerics if you want to. Builds can be anything if you work for it, and if you understand the mechanics sufficiently, you can battle enemies several hundreds of levels above your team and simply tech them out. It's an SRPG where you understand the mechanics and then push them to their logical extreme against innumerable enemies. Best of all you can actually create your own maps and do many forms of self-imposed challenges for maximum enjoyment. It's like the best SRPG for fans of SRPGs.
>>
>>389459819
Im betting this post has melee fags frothing at the mouth
>>
File: 1503192398641.png (486KB, 580x800px)
1503192398641.png
486KB, 580x800px
>>389459819
>that fucking Overwatch comparison

KOJIMA YOU INCOMPETENT NIGGER

QUICK PLAY DOESN'T LET YOU PICK WHAT MODE YOU ENJOY, I HAVE BEEN FACE FUCKED INTO KotH REGARDLESS IF I WANT TO.

QUIT BEING DUMB MOTHER FUCKER, IF SOMEONE PICKS A CHARACTER I WANT TO PLAY BEFORE ME I DON'T EVEN GET TO PLAY WHAT I WANT!

SPLATOON HAS MORE FREEDOM OF CHOICE THAN OVERLOOK
>>
>>389467251
>/ v /には、人々が唯一推奨するゲームはweebu shitu
there's no way this was even remotely correct
>>
>>389468583
It's funny, because a lot of games lately have absolutely awful testing. Obvious bugs on release.
>>
>>389478334
>get koth
>leave
>dont get the hero pick
>leave

ez
>>
>>389478795
They testing if the audience gets triggered by the content, they're looking at the eyes to see if bitch tears come out
>>
>>389462052
Fuck off Sheena. No one wants to indulge your shit tastes.
>>
File: 1497925246106.png (311KB, 453x442px) Image search: [Google]
1497925246106.png
311KB, 453x442px
>>389459819
Why does /v/ get so angry if you criticize Jap culture?
>>
>>389479652
The same reason they get upset if you post a Japanese game?
>>
>>389469540
>I feel there’s a lot more importance and focus given to game mechanics over world, setting, story, message, all that stuff.
This is why Japanese games are superior.
>>
>>389466323
I honestly really don't get all the hate for map rotation. Every other shooter I've cared about often had the problem of one of two maps getting favored so I personally found it refreshing that for once you actually are forced to gitgud on all the maps. Hell even with ranked I don't mind, but I also seem to be one of the few people who likes all 3 modes. With Salmon run I always feel like you'll at least have enough time in the 24 hours to get the daily bonus
>>
>>389477764
>Best of all you can actually create your own maps and do many forms of self-imposed challenges for maximum enjoyment.
>Self-imposed challenges
>good

See this why Disgaea fans are a bunch of queers, they actually really think their series is good when it's actually a steaming pile of shit with the only redeeming quality is the pedophilic aspect of the game.

>It's like the best SRPG for fans of SRPGs.

JA2 literally have all the things you listed plus more in 1998. It isn't anywhere close to a good nor best.
>>
>>389466323
>The only inexcusable thing is rank modes rotation, fuck that idea
This is how reasonable people feel about everything else that's time gated in Splatoon.
The core gameplay in Splatoon is amazing, but holy shit it pisses me off that Nintendo gimps the games so hard in so many different ways.
>>
>>389480329
Disgaea and Jagged Alliance are nothing even similar, and just because some game did something similar in the past doesn't mean that any game is incapable of using it as a plus in the future. Geo Puzzles, Map Verticality (JA2 literally only features flat maps with """"cover""""), repositioning targets and maneuverability being different in almost every regard, multi-target attacks and managing SP VS damage output, extensively lengthy Item World trips and different values for equipment existing beyond "Damage" and "Range", the list goes on. I genuinely do not believe that anybody who talks about JA2 has ever played it, primarily because I've never seen a JA thread on /v/ in the decade I've come to this site.
>>
>>389464535
If you don't like dick in your ass, why did you bought it?
>>
>>389464748
I would rather lose a costumer than have someone using sugar on green tea or eating steak with ketchup on my place.
>>
>>389477504
tipping was seen as unamerican because it was people with more money who thought they could buy better service iirc
>>
>>389480932
>I genuinely do not believe that anybody who talks about JA2 has ever played it
That's because you're always in a shitty Dis Gay Ah thread discussing shitty pedophilic shit to ever notice. JA2 thread is highly uncommon but it's not a "once in every decade" tier rare either.

>Geo Puzzles
Oh great, a highly simplistic and shallow puzzle mechanic really do belong in an SRPG game where tactical combat trumps all other aspect. See this why DisGayAh is shit, it tries to be tactic/puzzle hybrid with nothing good about those two.
>Map Verticality (JA2 literally only features flat maps with """"cover"""")
Covers that are destructible, opening up new dimensions and buildings that are more than just one level. Also, you can also create your own map btw.
>multi-target attacks
JA2 also had this yer moron!.
>managing SP VS damage output
managing damage output is the basis of every strategy game yer moron! also JA2 have this.
>extensively lengthy Item World trips
JA2 also have an extensive list of item.
>different values for equipment existing beyond "Damage" and "Range", the list goes on.
Also applies to JA2 yer moron, seriously have you ever played the game?

DisGayAh is a shitty SRPG, always have and always will, especially when compared to western ones. I don't know why you keep defending this turd when even the weebs don't even like it.
>>
>>389462179
>their birth rate is on the decline
You say that like it's a bad thing considering they have more than 100 million people packed on a small island.
Where the hell did this "endless growth for the sake of endless growth is good" mentality come from? How can it persist in an age where territory expansion is frowned upon? Do you want countries to be crushed under their own weight?
>>
File: 1401129612447.jpg (54KB, 352x330px)
1401129612447.jpg
54KB, 352x330px
>>389469548
This picture is in that weird very narrow spot between disgusting and hot.
I don't like it.
But I'd like sauce.
>>
>>389459819
the reason for the weird map switches and mode changes in splatoon is to make sure everyone plays all of them, in a normal fps people would just stick to deathmatch on certain maps they liked and thats it, leaving some modes and maps rarely played by anyone, but splatoon 2 forces you to get used to different modes and maps that are available at the time
>>
>>389462179
>their birth rate is on the decline
You don't need people when Robots are gonna be doing everything soon.
>>
>>389485263
This. I remember back in the CS days, everyone would just play dust over and over again.
>>
On one hand, there's something to be said about the makers knowing the product more than the consumers and guiding them so they don't make dumb decisions and get backlashed for stupid people doing stupid things.

On the other, If I want green tea with sugar in it, and they have green tea and they have sugar, then why can't they just give me the damn sugar?
>>
>>389465927
The restaurant vs video game is a horrible analogy to begin with. A restaurant can cater each meal to their customer. If they refuse something as basic as adding sugar to tea for the few customers that want it, then that's idiotic and they deserve to lose those customers. A video game is made for a much bigger audience audience. They can't afford to cater what they make to a single person, or small group of people, they need to make it as appealing as possible to as many people as possible; as once they release it, what they can do after that is extremely limited.

Either way, any justification of the backwards decisions in Splatoon is pathetic. The real reason they do it is to make the game seem like it has more content than it does and to keep people playing over a longer period of time since they can't experience very much at all in one sitting. Sprinkle in a little bit of having no idea how to make a proper online experience, and wanting to save as much money as possible by using god awful p2p connections, and you have everything wrong with Splatoon.
>>
kojimas a dumb nigger who the fuck gives a fuck
>>
>>389459819
"Japanese" attitude has problems of terribly backfiring after someone realizes developers aren't gods. Catering to several niches is nothing bad in its nature.

Is something as basic as difficulty levels bad? Or optional content? Even the Japanese tend to get pissed when someone retarded developer decides something against everyone's wishes and it sucks.

Remember Zestiria and that one guy raping the game with his vision of his waifu?
Thread posts: 213
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.