[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Enemy variety in HL2 was shit >recolored human soldiers >three

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5

File: Half-Life_2_cover.jpg (67KB, 300x428px) Image search: [Google]
Half-Life_2_cover.jpg
67KB, 300x428px
Enemy variety in HL2 was shit
>recolored human soldiers
>three zombie types
>strider
>antlion
>barnacle
wow so fucking exciting

HL1 had way more enemy types 2 felt like COD. Gunplay also sucks cock every weapon aside from the revolver felt like shit so what's so good about this game? What's good about FPS game where shooting sucks? Certainly not the bland characters.
>>
>>389454894
>forgetting headcrabs

BRUH
>>
>2 felt like COD
OP confirmed nu-CoD fag
>>
>>389454894
HL2 has 16 different enemies, with "recolored human soldiers" being counted for, otherwise it's 20.
>>
>>389454894
Enemy Variety in Half-life was shit
>3 alien types
>marines
>helicopter
>headcrabs and zombies

Quake has way more enemy types, Half-life felt like Goldeneye. All the guns felt like shit and the only difficulty comes from marines spamming grenades. What's good about an FPS where the shooting sucks and there's not that much of it in the game anyway?
>>
>>389454894
+ gunship, 2 types of mines,apc, 2 types of headcrabs
>>
>>389454894
You forgot headcrabs and the fast mutated zombie lurker things, you also forgot the 3 kinds of ant lion enemies.
>>
>>389454894

You also forgot the smaller brother to the striders, the hunters, oh and you can also count the larve aliens too, sonce they are an enemy.

Did you even play this game?
>>
>>389455629
3 types of headcrabs? normal, fast, poison
>>
File: 1446806293816.png (4KB, 228x254px) Image search: [Google]
1446806293816.png
4KB, 228x254px
>>389454894
I think the enemy variety in HL2 is pretty good, comparing it to COD is just hyperbolic
>4 soldier reskins, each with different stats and behaviour
>4 flavors of zombies: vanilla, fast and jumpy, poisonous bulletsponge, and suicide bomber
>3 flavors of headcrabs, vanilla, fast and annoying, terrifying and poisonous
>manhacks
>barnacles
>helicopters
>3 flavors of antlion, vanilla, poison spitting cunt, big charging bulletsponge
>gunships
>striders
>hunters

On top of this there's a large variety of levels/setpieces where you encounter these enemies, and you have a solid arsenal of weapons to take them on (not counting the SMG, it sucks dick)
>>
>>389456192
4th type
DEAD
>>
File: Cremator_model.jpg (104KB, 374x703px) Image search: [Google]
Cremator_model.jpg
104KB, 374x703px
>all those cool cut enemies we'll never see
>>
>>389455227
Bee alien
Dog alien
Zap alien
Fish alien
Giant alien
Tank
Helicopter
Marine
Other type of marine
Head Crabs
Zombies
The super sekret agents
Giant head crab alien
That giant floating alien boss
>>
>>389456516
>suicide bomber
Was only in 2
>>
>>389456789
let's be real here
hl1
>Vortigaunts and dog aliens
>big mini boss aliens
>marines and special forces
>head crabs and zombies
>a few one time boss or mini bosses

>civil protection and combine soldiers
>headcrabs and zombies
>poison headcrabs, mega zombies
>antlions
>striders
>helicopters
>no one off mini bosses or environmental puzzle enemies

they are really so not different from eachother; the insistance that HL1 is significantly different from 2 in any way is asinine and retarded
>>
>>389455227
Quake had barely any enemy types. Even Quake 2 had more.
>>
>>389457179
>Half life 1
>Long train ride
>Suddenly can run
>Get stopped to push the game cartridge into the machine to play
>Suddenly get to play game

>Half life 2
>Train ride
>Walk through a city
>Get stopped
>Standing there cutscene
>Get to leave
>More walking
>Scripted chase scene
>More in game cutscenes
>Stand around
>Go into a lab
>Walk around waiting for the NPCs to stop talking
>Teleporter
>Get to play for a while
>Long ass Hover boat segment
>Get to stand around and do nothing again before going back to ravenholm
>>
>>389457486
Half-life 1
>single very long stand there cutscene at the beginning
>walk around the lab before the action starts
>a couple moments of pausing before action for the rest of the game which is 12 hours long

Half-life 2
>single very long stand there cutscene at the beginning
>walk around the city before the action starts
>2 more long stand there cutscenes, similar length to beginning
>a couple of moments of pausing inbetween action for the rest of the game which is 13 hours
>2 episodes give another 8 hours minimum of gameplay with no cutscenes

they are really so not different from eachother; the insistance that HL1 is significantly different from 2 in any way is asinine and retarded
>>
>>389457827
Half life 2 is longer because longer standing around cutscenes and waiting for npcs to stop talking so what? Like waiting for 3 years for the car to drop so I can spend another three years driving on the coast waiting to hit the next Loading...
>>
>>389458067
ah yes, the 20 minutes of standing around in a 13 hour game compared to the 10 minutes of standing around in a 12 hour game really make the difference between a piece of unplayable shit and a masterpiece
>>
>>389456516
Please refrain from trying to use logic against shitposting meme fags like op.
>>
>>389458143
20 MINUTES?

more like

Standing on the train

Standing with Barney

Standing Alyx

Standing with Alyx some more

Standing in a lab

Standing in a teleporter

Sitting in a boat

Standing in a lab again

Standing outside

Standing while Father Grigori talks to you

Standing there watching Grigori kills zombies

Standing waiting for your car

Standing in a house waiting for the Helicopter battle

Standing on a rock at the beach because Bugs

Standing next to some aliens until they give you the squeaky toy

Standing in nova prospect with Alyx

Standing and waiting for the wave defense mission to be over

Then you get to stand in a pod and watch Breen for a couple minutes

Thats not 20 minutes

Thats probably a full fucking hour of just waiting for shit to hurry up. Not even a cutscene where I could skip it
>>
>>389455227
Some ones forgetting the tanki-wanki
>>
>>389458614
>Standing on the train
>...
>Standing in a teleporter
this is exactly the same as sitting on the train in hl1 and walking around until the resonance cascade happens
>driving vehicles isn't gameplay because I said so
>watching Father Grigori talking to you is in some way that much more egregious than scientists talking to you all throughout Hl1
>Standing in a house waiting for the Helicopter battle
this is like 2 minutes long tops. do you legitimately have adhd?
>platforming on rocks at the beach because Bugs isn't gameplay because I said so
>wave defense isn't gameplay because I said so

>Then you get to stand in a pod and watch Breen for a couple minutes
this and the black mesa east are the two long cutscenes I referred to in my original post. There got to be 25 minutes MAX where there is minimal to no interaction from Gordon in the game at all compared to the 10 minutes or so in HL1

you're being a fucking hyperbolic spazz
>>
>>389458915
Vehicle sections are ass and you know it
>>
>>389458614
>I am a fucking moron with no attention span that doesn't know what pacing is

You're the reason why pacing sucks in all modern shooters.
>>
>>389460224
>standing still doing nothing in a shooting game is 'pacing'
>>
>>389454894
Actually enemy variety in HL2 isn't bad, it's that a lot of enemies aren't very threatening or distinct.

HL2 really needed those Strider Hunters but they only appeared in Episode 2.
>>
>>389456760
What would he even do? Spray acid everywhere and have a fuckton of health? Shit gets cut for a reason
>>
>>389461583
It would drop incendiary rifle. Uses AR2 model in beta, shoots slow projectiles that light people on fire, and a slow-firing single strong projectile weapon makes way more sense with AR2 model.
>>
Half Life 2 in general was shit.
>>
>>389460504
It is in hf2. The problem is when you play the game for the second time and it gets annoying. They should've added NG+ with streamlined levels without time wasters.
>>
I replayed Opposing Force recently, the new weapons were fun as hell
>also that 2spoopy4me sewer level
>>
>>389460504
The game has plenty of long stretches of pure shooting/exploring. Those little "standing still doing nothing" moments give you time to breathe on occasion, without them the game would be just relentless action with no highs or lows.

The only way I could see those bits being worth bitching about is if you're looking to play a pure non-stop arcade shooter, but for some reason decided to play Half-Life 2, a game known for its emphasis on scripted setpieces.
>>
>>389462276
I'm playing Opposing Force right now and I'm pretty sick of these obtuse as fuck levels and locked rooms with exit points found through inconsistent environemental interaction as well as the overreliance on NPCs with some of the worth pathing AI ever written as well as some of the worst physics interaction in games

it's neat and has great weapons but I can't fucking stand the praise it gets as the best entry in the series
>>
>>389457357
Yeah, none of them interesting while Q1 enemies were great and varied even with 2 shit ones, the spawn and the death knight.
>>
>>389454894
It's a shame that the Episodes didn't improve on this at all.
>Episode 1 introduces the Zombine and nothing else
>Episode 2 introduces Hunters and fucking half a fast zombie
>The only weapon introduced in either, if you can call it that, is the Magnusson device
>>
>>389464528
Yes, instead they decided to focus on what actually makes Half-Life great: the setpieces.

When you focus on muh weapons and enemies, you get Opposing Force >>389463839
>>
>>389465638
I loved the setpieces to be clear, but I don't understand why they could have also added one or two new guns just to shake things up.
>>
>>389465749
True, they really should've dropped the redundant peashooter smg and brought back something like the tau cannon to round out the arsenal
>>
>>389465874
Imagine if there was a weird Combine synth that you could use as a gun like the Hive Hand or the Shock Roach. That would have been awesome.
>>
>>389464513
none of the quake enemy types were all that interesting
all they could do was run up to you and attack
>>
File: Antlion_guard.jpg (104KB, 512x592px) Image search: [Google]
Antlion_guard.jpg
104KB, 512x592px
>>389461583
>What would he even do? Spray acid everywhere and have a fuckton of health?

>What would he even do? Charge at Gordon and have a fuckton of health?
>>
>>389458614
Is this satire of Half Life 2 shitposters?
>>
>>389466857
This is genuine irrational hatred and nitpicking
>>
I don't know about you guys but i was actually interesed in what the fuck was happening in half life 2 so i wasn't a raging teenager that just wanted to kill and kill and skip cutscenes
so that "muh standing cutscene" argument it's so trash
>>
>>389466857
>>389467078
>>389468162
yeah, he conceded the argument by not replying to my counter and instead shifted to
>muh vehicles
what a fucking loser
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.