[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this game better or worse than DKC2?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

File: yoshis_island.jpg (19KB, 289x174px) Image search: [Google]
yoshis_island.jpg
19KB, 289x174px
Is this game better or worse than DKC2?
>>
>>389446594
Worse. It's a really good game despite the stupid baby mechanic but that mechanic drags it down a bit. If it had a lifebar instead I would be hard pressed to choose the winner.
>>
>>389446594
it doesn't matter since you need to play both
>>
>>389446685
That's like saying that the annoying sound in Zelda when you have 1 heart left should disappear. It's supposed to be a warning.
>>
>>389446594
Comparable to DKC2. However, far better than apples, but worse than oranges.
>>
>>389447064
But you're right the Zelda sound should also go away, and it did. In newer ones the sound is way less annoying.
>>
>>389447064
I don't even mean the sound in general though, I mean the whole "If you get hit then the thing that acts as your life meter flies off and you need to catch it before it reaches 0". It's not an extra challenge, it's just tedious.
>>
I fucking loved it but you better play the GBA version.
>>
File: 422343221.gif (95KB, 500x406px) Image search: [Google]
422343221.gif
95KB, 500x406px
It's amazing how they manage to fuck up every attempt to recreate this gem. They can't even get the cool shading int he backgrounds right.
>>
>>389447537
Why did they fuck up the music so bad in Yoshi's Island DS? All tracks are so forgettable, but I will never forget the cave music in Yoshi's Island.
>>
>>389447661
I'd take bland over the abomination that was Yoshi's New Island soundtrack any day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85AB1p6wpaY
>>
Never got very far in DKC2. From what I remember, you had to collect coins in order to unlock levels or something like that, which put me off.
>>
>>389447745
does this game just play one song the entire game? this is the only track people post.
>>
>>389447745
lol
>>
>>389446594
equal, but it does things differently.
>>
>>389447845
Nearly every other song in the game is a remix of this, in different styles and tempos. The composer must have really fucking loved this melody for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzDmvY2pRJI
>>
>>389447845
>>389447894
And this is what you're greeted with at the title screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vo3RG5i4WY
>>
File: yichomp.jpg (9KB, 204x179px) Image search: [Google]
yichomp.jpg
9KB, 204x179px
>>389447745
It's so fucking sad that they reduced Yoshi to something childish and just raised the cute factor to unbearable levels instead of improving the series.

YI was never supposed to be a childish game. Cute and unique? Yes. Childish? No. There are tons of things in that game that aren't suited for toddlers. Pic related.

Instead of making the 20th shitty remake of EXACTLY the same game but only making it worse, Nintendo could do something useful like oh I don't know a 3D Yoshi's Island? Now that I would play.

But maybe we should just improve the hacking scene instead of waiting for games equally as good as the original.
>>
>>389447959
>>389447894
>>389447745

This is terrible
>>
>>389448043
That part never got to me as a kid, but the final boss sure did. Even if it wasn't extremely challenging, the fight made me extremely tense and stressed out.

The atmosphere and the music for the fight was fucking perfect.
>>
>>389446594
Better.
>>
>>389448043
what games industry seems to be messaging is unless youre murdering everyone nonstop, its for children
>>
>>389448161
I was so scared of the final fight, that I didn't even have the courage to fight him. I lost like 2-3 times and then turned the system off and asked an adult to do it.

Something about him running towards you and the evil eyes are scary. As a kid I always hate sections where you are under pressure or have a time limit etc...
>>
>>389447306
Don't get hit
>>
>>389447887
Can you elaborate?
>>
>>389447745
Woolly World OST was kinda meh too, some better tracks but overall low energy whistling and stuff.

Just give me new tracks in YI style https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqQq4hla0xo
>>
>>389448043
Yeah it was always cute but it had a more of "for all ages" feeling just like any Nintendo platformer instead of "for young children". Nintendo seems to be hell bent on the idea that Mario is for the whole family and Yoshi is for toddlers.

I also hate that they gave Yoshi a baby voice. The sound effects from SNES games were nice.
>>
It's worse.

It also isn't nearly as good as smw

Nice art though
>>
>>389446594
Worse but it's still a very good game. Better art in my opinion but that is subjective and DKC2 still looks great.

Definitely not the perfect game a lot of people make it out to be. Often tedious.
>>
File: 3-1.png (563KB, 8454x1283px) Image search: [Google]
3-1.png
563KB, 8454x1283px
>>389450412
Not tedious. Just long, VERY long. You have 50+ levels which are on average as long as pic related. Then you have countless secret rooms and pipes you can climb inside, then you have mini games and bonus games and the secret levels.

Truly it is unusual for a platformer to have such an epic scale. 4 worlds would have been perfect, instead it had 6.
>>
>>389451023
I love this about the game though. A lot of platformers feel skimpy on content by comparison. I can see it would get tedious if you want to finish it in one or two sittings but in smaller doses it's perfect and not over too fast.
>>
>>389448326
>As a kid I always hate sections where you are under pressure or have a time limit etc...

I hate child me, this very reason is why I couldn't play Majora's Mask
>>
>>389451484
I never had that much of a problem even as a kid. When you realize you can play backwards song of time to make the time pass much slower and you can reset to dawn of the first day every time you do something major like unlock a dungeon and still go straight to the dungeon the time limit becomes just a fun mechanic to make the world go around as every character has a predetermined pattern throughout the 3 days rather than any kind of limit.

I remember them talking about the game in magazines before it came out like YOU ONLY HAVE THREE DAYS TO SAVE THE WORLD NO MORE and I was like holy shit that sounds frustrating but of course they were uninformed as fuck.
>>
>>389451686
I think what the other anon meant is not that it's hard to beat it if you are willing to play it.

It is the psychological factor that is scary. It takes balls to play a game with a timer as a kid, because you are not guaranteed a victory and the possibility of losing is more real than ever.

Some kids just don't have the self-esteem to play games with timers.
>>
>>389446594
As a child I liked Yoshi's Island a lot more, but recently it's been DKC2. Yoshi's Island levels can really drag at times, though it's still one of the Super Nintendo's best.
>>
Donkey Kong games aren't very fun.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.