[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So is Mother 3 supposed to be like a cult hit masterpiece or

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 3

File: mother-3.png (1MB, 1540x1370px) Image search: [Google]
mother-3.png
1MB, 1540x1370px
So is Mother 3 supposed to be like a cult hit masterpiece or something? I actually found it to be insanely disappointing compared to Earthbound. Got my PSP set up with emulators recently and played through EB again (fully beating it for the first time), and found it amazing. Riding the Mother train, I found the English patch GBA rom of M3 and played through it and just found so many flaws/downgrades compared to EB;

>Chapter based gameplay
>small map you constantly revisit with different characters
>no money/good way to upgrade or gear up characters until like halfway through the game
>also don't get an actual party until halfway through the game, like the 5th chapter
>extra random rhythm based follow up attacks where the enemy needs to be asleep to hear the rhythm properly, when not all enemies can be sleeped (game even literally says you don't have to do it, it's just there for extras)
>one totally useless party member and one meh one, when EB had a perfect party for combat
>breath meter for the underwater part
>story is meh, and Porky was a fag in EB and should not have been brought back

Only plus side is the game is visually great with near perfect sprites. Also drop rates weren't as bad for the best gear.

I'd give EB a 9/10 while M3 only gets like a 5.5/10.

tl;dr M3 was so disappointing I honestly don't know if I'd want a Mother 4 unless it was much more like EB. Anyone agree or am I alone in my criticism?
>>
Isn't this is the game where a little boy gets buttfucked by a tranny and it gives him telekinetic powers?
>>
>>389445327
Meh, sort of. The whole tranny thing was weird. The Magypsies being a one-off tranny joke would have be funny, but they were throughout the entire game, a core part of the plot.

They gave Claus Psi powers, then you (Lucus) pull out the world needles to awaken the dark dragon to save to world from Porky, and the Trannies are all guarding these needles. So like they're magic immortal world guardian trannies or something.
>>
>>389445215
>nitpicks and superficial complaints
>This game is shit, 5/10
>>
ok
>>
>>389445215
Mother 3 is overrated but EB even moreso. Neither game is that great.
>>
A shit game
30 hours of nothing but japanese schizophrenic writing and a bathtub rape
>>
I want Kumatora to force me to bathe so she can /ss/ with me
>>
>>389445651

>Game uses restrictive chapters
>Lame small map
>Can't set up/gear up a good party until past the halfway point
>Poor combat mechanics
>Bad party with useless characters compared to great all useful characters in last game
>Terrible "that part" in game
>Story/villian are bad (in an RPG, which is pretty heavy story based)

>superficial complaints

So you even play the game, or you just shitposting? I'm legitimately curious if people who played M3 liked it, because it really was a let down to me after EB.
>>
>>389445567
the magypsies arent trans, they're genderless and they arent human
>>
>>389446030
Not him but I loved the two games. They're different but I still think mother 3 was great in its own way
>>
>doesn't like the rhythm combat mechanic

It was great. Your entire OP is meh
>>
>>389446106
a fag is a fag, it's not necessary to have some complex worldview about sticking your dick into a man's ass
>>
>>389446030
These are some hot fucking opinions my dude. You didn't like the game, but everybody else loved it. All of these are either wrong or not a big deal.
>>
>>389445215
The enemies don't need to be asleep to hear the rhythm, get good.

Boney is great for using healing and damaging items due to his speed, and his Sniff ability is vital (if you aren't using a guide like a fagola). I honestly don't know who the other "useless" character is, unless you're talking about Samba, who isn't a final party member and whose enemies are scaled down to accomodate his weakness.

Most of the other points you mention enhance the story. The underwater section is neither hard nor does it make exploration difficult.
>>
>>389446106
Obviously they're not human, but you know they're totally based on flashy drag queen types. They're definitely supposed to be funny/comedic characters.
>>389446140
What did you like about M3? Were you disappointed at all in comparison to EB? Do you have any criticism for M3?
>>
>>389446030
Linear doesn't equal bad, and chapter based system isn't inherently bad either. It's more like reading a book, and you don't prefer that, you prefer Warthbound's style, and that's fine. I don't think having a bigger map means better. More streamlined, the better.

I fail to see how the combat mechanics are poor. If you actually know what you're doing, you'll get mileage out of all the characters. I also don't see how the story is bad.

Pretty much most people agree that this game is better than Earthbound. People would more likely think you were shitposting.
>>
>>389446264
this. if you actually get a hang of it the rhythm mechanic is addicting, unless you're someone with no sense of rhythm like OP i guess

>>389446351
well that doesnt happen in the game, just sounds like you get triggered easily
>>
Is the consensus that EB ? M3?

I'm trying to establish what to prioritise in my backlog out of M3 and M&L:SS
>>
>>389446670
>that EB ? M3?
What did you mean by that?
>>
>>389446670
EB is one of the gold standards for jrpgs, there are others, but M+L or M3 aren't even in top 200
>>
>>389446765
you must have some shit taste
>>
>>389446765
>M3 aren't even in the top 200
According to whom?
>>
>>389446809
mother 3 is fucking trash, it's not even as good as mother 1

that's what you wanted to be angry about right? so I gave it to you

you think you're special, but you suck down /v/s pitiful elitism just like everyone else
>>
>>389446449

Boney is useless; you barely need sniff, and even if you use it, wow one turn useful. Items are way worse than Psi abilites, especially after you get multi character heal. If you cruch on items you need to git gud.

Duster isn't useless, I said he's meh; his thief skills are good on mobs but terrible on bosses (statuses don't work and the offense/defense down can fail when Psi powers won't). He should have been the strongest physical attacker, instead Lucus is way stronger plus has Psi powers.

And no, the things I listed don't enhance the story. Didn't say anything was difficult, just annoying or pointless. How could a small map you constantly revisit enhance anything? You niggers always complain about backtracking, but the first 4 chapters of this game is all backtracking just with different characters. The entire time I was just waiting to get my real party.
>>
>>389446761
typo, meant EB>M3
>>
File: 1451545818568.png (106KB, 450x253px) Image search: [Google]
1451545818568.png
106KB, 450x253px
I had a similar experience, OP
Played Earthbound on the SNES and it became my favourite game of all time. Then I heard Mother 3 does everything Earthbound does but better.
Needless to say I was pretty excited so I played it on my GBA only to find it being a more directed game with less charm.
Im not against linearity but the first third is just the same thing from different perspectives.

It also lacks the adventure aspect in some ways. The whole Island feels constructed just for your journey whereas in Earthbound it felt like you were just traveling through one small part of the world.
Turns out people only like Mother 3 more due to the refined combat but I didnt have any problems with the Earthbound combat so I was severely dissappointed that Mother 3 didnt capture that child-like adventure feel again and instead relied on feels and story.
>>
>>389447010
The majority of people think M3 > EB
>>
>>389446765
Sorry anon, I'mma let you finish, but M&LSS is one of the greatest games of all time.
>>
>>389445215
>Chapter based gameplay
Chapters are a downgrade from the structure of Earthbound, but feel more necessary for the plot it tries to tell.
>small map you constantly revisit with different characters
This is pretty bad early on, but later it opens up a fair bit more. Still pretty smallish though.
>no money/good way to upgrade or gear up characters until like halfway through the game
I don't think you even get money until like Chapter 4, and there's plenty of shit lying around to get you cash if you really need the gear for some reason.
>also don't get an actual party until halfway through the game, like the 5th chapter
I didn't really mind this that much, it works pretty well in the story at least.
>extra random rhythm based follow up attacks where the enemy needs to be asleep to hear the rhythm properly, when not all enemies can be sleeped (game even literally says you don't have to do it, it's just there for extras)
The sleeping heartbeat is literally there in case you can't tell what the musical cues are for comboing, which would seem to apply to you.
>one totally useless party member and one meh one, when EB had a perfect party for combat
Who, Boney? He's got high Speed for a reason, he's supposed to be your item hound. I'd rather him be better in combat for sure, but he's not useless. Also Poo ain't that great in EB.
>breath meter for the underwater part
Not a high part of the game, but hardly gamebreakingly terrible.
>story is meh, and Porky was a fag in EB and should not have been brought back
(You)

Most of these complaints feel petty as fuck to me, and lord knows EB has a ton of minor annoyances in it.
>>
>>389446475
It's a funny game. Not a belly aching haha kinda funny but a heh I see what you did there. But that applies to them all. It's themes just worked and did something and I'm trying to explain this as best as I can while skiving. I was just invested in the world they built

If I had to shit on it for one thing I would say I wish it stuck with a plan for the characters. The whole first five chapters threw me for a loop cause I was wondering why am I playing like twenty different people. Then it just abandons that for a party for the rest of the game. I wish they let me stay as Lucas or did the multi character system for the rest of the game.
>>
>>389447019
>Turns out people only like Mother 3 more due to the refined combat
Try the more refined everything.
>>
>>389446532

They should have fleshed out the rhythm mechanic more, made it more essential to combat instead of something an NPC literally says you don't need to do.

And it double sucks on emulators because the timing is messed up so you have to do most of em on an off beat. I could get 16 hit combos, but I averaged 3 - 8 hits. But bosses really suck because you can't sleep them so it's way harder to get their combo rhythms. If it was just to the beat of the music it would be way easier, but it's supposed to be based off the enemy heartbeat which is based off the music (but not quite the same).
>>
>>389447192
This.
>>
>>389446910
>Knowing an enemy's weakness is not useful
Okay dude. Also, most bosses are vulnerable to at least ONE of Duster's tools.
>>
the final fight against Porky was great, and if you ask me the soundtrack overall was on par with EB, I dont know much about GBA sound, but I suspect this game pushed it to the limit, just listen to this shit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-C3T83mUp
>>
>>389447215
>needing to hypno enemies to get the rhythms
Holy shit bruv
>>
>>389447215
newer emulators have no problem with it in my experience
>>
File: CU5hcGTW4AArNvx.jpg (121KB, 529x889px) Image search: [Google]
CU5hcGTW4AArNvx.jpg
121KB, 529x889px
>>389445215
>I actually found it to be insanely disappointing
This is fine, is a pretty good game, but not the timeless classic everyone claims it to be.

>compared to Earthbound
This is not fine and proves you have shit criteria, as Earthbound was just OK and pretty much every famous SNES JRPG was better, except Dragon Quest VI and BoF 1 and 2, which were bad.
M3 (8/10)> M2 (6/10)> M1 (5/10)
>>
>>389447067
better than SMRPG:LOTSS?
>>
>>389447395

It was definitely off for me on my emulator. I actually love active combat crap like that (Paper Mario, Mario RPG, etc.), I just wish it was fleshed out better, made into a more core mechanic, essential to combat.

The game tool 12 years to develop and jumped through 4 different systems; there's tons of stuff you can tell got scrapped, switched, or dropped during development with little fragments being left over.
>>
>not knowing that damage for combining spikes at the 8th 12th and 16th hits
>not knowing you can score at least double the damage from 16 hit combos
The combo system is rewarding as fuck.
>>
>>389447494
I disagree, I think it qualifies at least as a timeless game.
>>
>>389447586
I used mGBA and it was spot on for me with the right settings
yeah i would have liked the music battles to be more fleshed out but as evidenced by plenty of people who cant do it at all, making it essential would probably be a bad idea
i think its satisfying enough on its own and the feature that lets you practice any song is cool
>>
>>389447670
>Earthbound
>Timeless
Fuck no.
>>
>>389446030
>restrictive chapters are automatically bad
>lame small map
More becomes open as you move along and EB isn't much different
>Can't set up/gear up a good party until past the halfway point
That doesn't matter since you can still defeat enemies well.
>Terrible "that part" in game
Except maybe the tower robot boss, that doesn't exist in this game.
>Story/villian are bad (in an RPG, which is pretty heavy story based)
>masked man subplot
>bad
>Poor combat mechanics
>Bad party with useless characters compared to great all useful characters in last game
(You)
>>
>>389445327
Its not gay if its a duogendered supergranny!
I can't tell if they are suppose to be so old, they sorta lost their gender, or if they are suppose to be grandpas on steroids.

>>389447215
Yeah, it sucks on emulator. Its fine if you use something like Retroarch, but its completely utterly fucked on most standalone GBA emulators.
>>
>>389446910
Boney isnt useless dumbass. Hes the fastest party member. Protip: you give him all the items because since hes so fast hes almost always guaranteed to go first and get off a heal or damage. Hes an optimised jeff.
>>
Ignore the retard OP, post music.
>>
>>389445215
This game tries too hard to be sad. It's comical.
>>
>>389452821
Here's your (You)
>>
>>389445215
>one totally useless party member
get the sticky shield snatcher for Boney and then he comes top dog
>>
The party is shit compared to earthbound's in terms of combat. I don't know why so many people have issues with this statement. I remember expecting duster to be Jeff 2.0 and how utterly disappointed I was when he wasn't even half as good
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.