[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Guys how do I get into proper fighters? I grew up and Budokai

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: cover-ps4-guilty-gear-xrd-rev-2.jpg (491KB, 1523x1899px) Image search: [Google]
cover-ps4-guilty-gear-xrd-rev-2.jpg
491KB, 1523x1899px
Guys how do I get into proper fighters? I grew up and Budokai and Tenkaichi, and it wasn't until recently I can't do shit in traditional fighters. I copped UMvC3 for a whim and got my ass blasted, I couldn't hardly pull off shit. I want to play pic related, but how do I git gud?
>>
>>389409637
GG has a pretty good tutorial, hop on it then go to challenge and try to pull the combos off
>>
You play the video game and sometimes look online if you need help with a mechanic or how something works that isn't explained well. Don't expect to be the best because the best autisticly only play that genre and invest stupid amounts of time.
>>
Just like fight people, make little goals in fights that you obviously can't win instead of aiming for something broader and less measurable. Stuff like "successfully perform a roman cancel combo" or "correctly react to one of his mixups"

Other than that guilty gear has a great tutorial, so you don't have to be worried about missing some sort of key knowledge because that shit is all there.
>>
I feel like a big part of my problem is getting use to the directional inputs. In the ps2 DBZ games I grew up with and smash, special moves are usually pulled off with just one direction and one button. Quarter circle shit, and dragon punch motions just make me feel like I'm slapped my stick around hoping for something to happen. I've heard people recommend using the dpad, but I feel like I have even less control with that. What do you guys do, or is there some trick I'm not getting?
>>
>>389410425
It's just muscle memory nigga, there's no tricks or gimmicks, what feels unnatural at first slowly gets burned into your muscles and you never think about it again. Guilty gear has a pretty nice input display that can show you the accuracy of inputs
>>
Guilty gear has a record feature too, i'm pretty sure. You can watch your matches and see what you did wrong.
>>
Play the tutorial first, its really good. After that get acclimated to movement, practice dashing and air dashing on both sides until you get a feel for it. Then practice Quarter Circle Forward motions, Dragon Punches, and Half Circles. 360s and 720s too if you're playing a character that has those. Do them until you can do them consistently. Once you have that stuff down, start trying out characters. Narrow the list down to your favorites and pick one to stick with. Memorize their movesets and what everything does, know you're character in and out. What they can and cannot do during a fight, this is important for devising strategies and learning matchups.
>>
>>389409978
>>389410037
>>389410596
>>389411770
Thanks guys, this is all really helpful. Just out of curiosity, do you use the regular PS4 controller or a fight stick? Are sticks just a meme for turbo autists, or do they actually make it easier to handle movement?
>>
>>389410425
Get used to motions, you grew up with easy shit
>>
>>389412446
It depends on the person
>>
>>389412446
If people can play tournaments with controllers, so can you
>>
Has the barrier of entry every fucked with you guys? I mainly wanna learn these games to play with my Bros, but they have almost no desire to learn new mechanics, but I can only play smash 4 for so long. Do you ever find it hard to find people to play with that aren't just online randos?
>>
>>389412640
Having someone starting with you and actually being a good sport about the whole ordeal of getting good is probably THE most helpful thing to help getting better on both ends. Competition is a good thing but yeah, the online scene being plentiful to give you a lot of different match ups would be optimal.
>>
>>389412446
Fight sticks are a meme. You won't be better because you play with one. If you invest a lot of time with the genre it might be worth it if you like the feeling of using the stick. It's kind of the same as mechanical keyboards or other gamer marketed products.
>>
>>389412446
They are not a meme, but don't make difference with exception of the execution of some techniques, some are easier, some are harder.

I use it solely for comfort.
>>
>>389412640
If you play a game like Tekken 7, it's much more opaque in terms of system mechanics. It still has tons of things to learn but it hides it so well that your friends won't be put off by 13 different meters and cancels and shit.

Alternatively, play one of the Smash clones.
>>
>>389409637
that is one butt ugly boxart
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.