[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What went wrong

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

File: image.png (70KB, 600x223px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
70KB, 600x223px
What went wrong
>>
It ended up being the worst parts of a console mixed with the worst parts of a PC.
>>
>gaming on a linux os
lol. freetards are fucking delusional
>>
Serves no purpose at all.
>>
>>389403754
what is that
>>
>>389403897
(You)
>>
Everything
>>
>>389403754
Doesn't use Windows which is what has all the games
>>
>>389405918
>>389403897
That's an alpha, which uses windows. Steam machines are blue
>>
>>389403754
its a pre built
>>
There was never a market for them, there's no gap big enough between a console and a gaming PC to warrant these devices
>>
>>389403754
They ran out of the i7 models for $349 from gamestop

I think if valve just partnered and only came out with 1 steam machine, it would do better. Especially now with a 1060m which can 1080p max quality just about every game. But after the first failure, anyone who doesnt care about specs peobably wouldnt try again.
>>
What's the cheapest pc i can get that can atleast run most games on low settings
>>
>>389407541
I got an i3 with Windows last year used for ~$150. Had no problems with it. The i3 runs everything as well as I'd expect. I even have games where the minimum requirement is an i7 but the i3 still can reach a stable 30fps.

I think it's just a case of mindless autists shitting on it for being Alienware. It's cheap, upgradeable, and it's small as fuck. It's a better investment than an actual console.
>>
>>389407541
An old PC and an newish GPU. Should run you about $100.
>>
>>389408004
>>389408069
got any websites or store locations in California for me i only have 223$ and my old computer broke
>>
>>389408287
See if any businesses are upgrading their PCs. Maybe your grandmother has an old shitbox laying around, that's how I got mine. Then just grab a 1050 or something.
>>
PC games will just build a PC to have more control.
Console payers will just buy a console because brand recognition and exclusives.
This fills a niche with no market. On top of that steam OS is shit.
They should have just focused on the software first and let people put it in their project htpcs.
>>
Selling a PC for 500 while the parts are
at best
200 dollars worth of parts no one is going to buy it
>>
>>389408287
Pretty sure they stopped producing Alpha's entirely. The i3s sell for a bizarrely high price now. You're better off doing what the other anon says.
>>
>>389406579
This and the fact that pre-builts are retardedly over priced for what you get.
>>
File: Xbox One X (2).jpg (61KB, 1400x788px) Image search: [Google]
Xbox One X (2).jpg
61KB, 1400x788px
Xbox One X is everything steam machines should have been(minus the free online)
>>
>>389408287
>>389408880
okay thank you im getting paid Friday so i will have more money to spend but i gotta spend most of it on rent and food
>>389409061
steam machines should have just been a pc in the shape of a console
>>
>>389409061
I heard you can attach a keyboard to this console, is this true?
I wouldn't expect it to replace my pc, but I can very realistically expect it to replace my. Especially since I can do both on the big screen.
>>
>>389409273
Sorry I meant my cable. Shit I don't know anyone who watches television anymore.
>>
>>389409351
Yes you can attach a keyboard. You're supposed to connect it to the cable box through HDMI
>>
>>389403754
No killer app. Had Half Life 3 launched exclusively on SteamOS we'd all be running Linux.
>>
>>389403897
This is why Microsoft continues to fuck you all in the ass.
>>
File: mad_max-vega-amd-vs-mesa.png (25KB, 600x329px) Image search: [Google]
mad_max-vega-amd-vs-mesa.png
25KB, 600x329px
>>389403754
>Most expensive hardware Intel CPU + discrete Nvidia GPU
>Hardware too low spec to really take advantage of Vulkan
>Windows version diluted value the of concept

Hopefully the rumors about a second-gen of Steam Machines based on the upcoming Ryzen+Vega SOC hardware pans out. The Valve-backed open source driver is kicking the shit out of AMD's official driver, and the selection of games on SteamOS is over 3000, including some Linux-exclusive Vulkan versions of games.
>>
>>389410704
They've said that will happen when GNU/Linux users hits 3%, though its not clear whether that's 3% in the survey which would require Linux-only gamers which are a rarity since so many people use Wine, dual boot, or use a VM+passthrough.
If they're talking about general global use though Linux passed that mark recently.

Alternately, it will happen sometime after 10 S is released.
>>
>>389403754
Most of the types of people who give enough of a shit about video games to get a decent pc, and want to play the best versions of multiplats, also want to build their own computer. Everyone knows that prebuilts are for idiots, the technologically illiterate, and lazy richfags.
>>
>>389411750
>>389411496
Linux fans are the most delusional fanbase I have ever come across on the internet.
>>
>>389411963
Sales of prebuilt gaming machines actually far outstrips the home builder market.
The small size of the market is why things like cryptocurrency can totally fuck over GPU prices.
>>
>>389412132
Nice argument. Keep sucking corporate dick.
>>
File: hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.jpg (36KB, 465x494px) Image search: [Google]
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.jpg
36KB, 465x494px
>>389403754
>wondering why there's no games on an freely editable os with no drm
>>
File: 1503579914534.jpg (81KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
1503579914534.jpg
81KB, 1200x675px
>>389412132
I've seen the future Microsoft has in store.
Stallman was right. You'll see that before the end.
>>
>>389412142
Well that's sad. I'd like to blame that on parents buying them for their kids, but I don't really know.
>>
>>389412274
Interestingly there's been a fair number of releases of AAA games where the Windows version was bundled with the Denuvo malware, but the Linux version was not.

Its a strange thing, but developers have realized that the people who pirate games, also pirate Windows. Linux users tend to be principled and pay for games at a much higher rate, of course their having high paying jobs gives them a lot more disposable income as well which almost certainly helps with that. Linux users represent a tiny portion of the whole Steam user base, but are over represented among users who own 100 or more games on Steam.
>>
>muh steam machines
>muh desktop computers
Unless you're a complete A/Vphile (in which case you wouldn't buy a budget gaming rig to begin with) a decent mid-end laptop can run plenty of games at decent performance settings. Like obviously not fps-fag worthy but if you were an fps-fag you wouldn't be buying a steam machine either.

Like that's what I literally do. I plug a keyboard and mouse into my laptop, run the HDMI out into a small TV and boom, instant desktop command center. Except it takes half as much electricity to run.
>>
>>389413059
Steam Machines are a concept that's ahead of their time.

By 2020 Valve should be able to release a little orange device for less than $100 with all their first party games and actually reasonable tech specs to play a number of recent games.
>>
>>389403754
I got one of these and want to set it up for Lakka and SteamOS. How can I achieve this?
>>
>>389414654
You'd probably be better off installing SteamOS, then setting up Retroarch as a 3rd party program within it.

SteamOS is basically Debian so you'd just need to get to a terminal and install the packages with apt. Found this guide pretty easily.
https://github.com/mdeguzis/SteamOS-Tools/wiki/RetroArch
>>
>>389403754
Didn't have a 10 series nvidia gpu in it. Instant fail imo
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.