[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where did they go wrong

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

So guys, where did MMOs go wrong? Like what point of time in that MMO did it just turn to shit?

Everquest: Lost Dungeons of Norrath

Star Wars Galaxies: When everyone could be Jedis

World of Warcraft: It started to slip at the end of Cata, however I thought MoP was a solid all around xpac outside of the playable Panda race. It went to shit WoD.

Final Fantasy XI: LOL that launch
>>
>>389401283
WoW did too good of a job and killed the genre. Now everyone claims they want something that is not WoW, when they get it they complain that its not like WoW. Then when they get something like WoW, they realize that they could just be playing WoW.
>>
>>389401283
WoW, it was shit at launch but since fags have terrible taste it became a hit and everyone wanted to be the next WoW/WoW killer.
Fuck you for causing this
>>
>>389401283
Lost dungeons were the instanced dungeons with their own currency that you could use to buy items? I thought those were pretty cool.

>>389401571
This so much. It became a hit purely because of thetiming and the franchise's momentum.
>>
>>389401283
WoW killed it. And they're been the main reason it's been decomposing ever since.

Blizzard, ever wise in their wisdom, decided to slowly degrade mechanics until every fucking challenge is gone in the game.

They removed about 80% of original skills, made your character massively overpowered in terms of early zones, and basically live endgame-to-endgame instead of fixing up old shit that people could enjoy once again. And for what prize? You get to faceroll on a couple of shitty bosses for a sliver of "yur da hero of da yooniverse" cheesy bullcrap.

There are legitimately good raids that have become nothing but wastelands now, with the exception of transmog faggots.
>>
File: 201.jpg (158KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
201.jpg
158KB, 640x480px
>>389401283
>You'll never be able to attack and kill any NPC in the game
>You'll never play an mmo with a faction system that let you side with almost anyone including monsters
>You'll never loot meat off most monsters and player races and cook it so everyone can see you're eating roasted elf or a dwarf sandwhich
>You'll never be able to learn and speak one tongue for each race in the game, including monsters.
>You'll never take the boat and cross the ocean, shitting yourself at the thought of falling and losing your corpse and the gear on it forever
>You'll never farm in the gigantic plains of Karana, constantly looking around you, scared of roaming monsters that have 15 more levels than you
>You'll never go through dungeons that have a shit ton of traps, fake walls, mazes and other dirty tricks

Modern mmorpgs killed the rpg part and just became coop semi-action games. Sad times we live in.
>>
>>389401283
MMOs are dead to companies since normies refuse to play them.
To make up for this, I've been playing Star Wars Galaxies on an emulated server.
It's definitely one of the best MMOs of all time and at least there's somewhat of a community supporting it.
>>
File: SWG_Tatooine_MosEisley.jpg (1MB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
SWG_Tatooine_MosEisley.jpg
1MB, 1600x900px
>>389402723
forgot pic
>>
>Final Fantasy XI: LOL that launch
LOL but you must mean XIV.
>>
>>389402504
I miss flippy darkpaw the most
>>
Is a new developer our only hope?

Or should we thooe an old studio will get 'it' back?

It seems when experienced people form new shit together it's pretty good, but can also turn to crap.
>>
File: fippy.jpg (130KB, 300x299px) Image search: [Google]
fippy.jpg
130KB, 300x299px
>>389402806
A true hero

>>389402798
How dead is it? Be honest.
>>
>>389401283
>outside of the playable Panda race

why, though? It's a harmless addition, and practically inevitable. Mists did so many things well, you can at least excuse something minor like a playable race from the expansion's continent.
>>
>>389401283
WoW killed the genre but not in the way you might think. Just about every publisher saw the WoW cash cow and wanted a slice so they made WoW clones instead of origional concepts, not realizing that people who play WoW aren't going to abandon it to start over on essentially the same treadmill. Que a few multi-million dollar failures and they decided that nobody wanted MMOs so they stopped making them.
>>
>>389403214
That's exactly what everybody means when they say wow killed mmos.....

>>389402961
I'm keeping an eye on Pantheon rise of the fallen
>>
>DAoC: New Frontiers
>EQ2: Shadow Odyssey
>WoW: Cataclysm-Pandaria
>XIV: Rebooting a shitty game

Only games I played for more than two years.
>>
>>389401283
>at the end of Cata

You're probably a Wrathbabby.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.