[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

just started this for the first time. what should I be on the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 2

File: 98790879087908.jpg (1MB, 1533x1374px) Image search: [Google]
98790879087908.jpg
1MB, 1533x1374px
just started this for the first time.
what should I be on the look out for? any important helpful tips?
>>
no idea, but is there any reason to buy the remake over the ps1 game?

I dont care about the 3d graphics
>>
Sell the game, desu.
>>
>>389382801
It smooths out a lot of things from the original, it's not 12 years long, better translations, better balancing, etc.
>>
>>389382801
not really
they made the overworld like 10x bigger but didn't fill that new space with anything so its just the most tedious shit
>>
>>389382142

Don't worry so much about grinding levels, learn to grind jobs when the system opens up. As long as the game is, its structure in how you visit each island is actually pretty easy to get used to. It feels like playing a really long anime with each island being a little arc
>>
I had to quit playing that game. I would be all ready to play some Dragon Quest and fall asleep 10 minutes later. It's boring as shit and somehow the game actually makes me drowsy. Its like my 3DS blows powdered Xanax through the mic ,into my face. Not even joking. Boring as fuck game.
>>
>>389383864
this series isn't for people with low attention spans
>>
>>389382142
be patient, you're gonna have to play for around 20 hours before unlocking the job system, but once you do the game gets pretty fun for experimenting with the classes
>>
>>389382142
Dont try to speedrun it. It's about the length of the dragonball anime so don't pretend you can clear it in a weekend.
>>
>>389382142
Oh and make sure to grind jobs on ALL party members, you will have to play the party roulette. Also don't give stat seeds to Prince guy, he goes off to another series partway through.
>>
>>389382142
throw that trash and play DQ8
>>
>>389382142
It being lengthy is not a meme. It's probably in the running for longest game of all time. It's pretty tedious too, since you need to do each locale

>>389382801
The monsters being visible on the map may seem like an improvement, but you basically just end up running away from every possible encounter. It's not how the game is supposed to be played.
>>
>>389382142
It's the only DQ which bored me and that I never finish because of this very reason. It's good but it's too long.
>>
>>389385071
locale twice*
>>
>>389382142
The western version has an objectively worse soundtrack due to Japanese Jewry. Replace the audio if you can.
>>
>>389384186
It's a series for people who have insomnia.

Why play this game? The story is generic weeb shit, battles are just attack attack, slow placed as fuck, characters are basically puppets with no personality.

Only thing dragon quest has is decent music and good art. The games are literally the same thing just different characters. They are the definition of rehash.
>>
>>389386705
don't try to fix shit that isn't broken
just look at FF or pokemon
these series keep changing something that didn't need changing
DQ is true to its origins and people like it
thats why its succesful
just accept that this series isn't for you
>>
>>389387191
>Pokemon
>changing

Kek
>>
>>389382142
>7
Be prepared for a story that takes hours to pick up, and once it finally does expect it to be only slightly less boring than it was before.
>>
>>389387413
pokemon changed alot
>special/physical split
>keep adding stupid gimmicks each gen
>new types
>add and remove features like day and night cycles for no reason
>recently removed gyms
>>
>>389386705
Have you played 5? 7's notably worse than a fair number of entries in the series in my opinion, and 5's widely considered to be one of the high points.
>>
~poof poof~
>>
>>389382142
Yeah.

Don't get attached to Kiefer.
He'll break your heart anon.

Was it worth it Kiefer? Was it truly worth it?
>>
Party Chat. Hit B brings up the Party Chat where you can talk to your party members. There's A LOT of dialog and while a lot seem meaningless I found it interesting. Some gives more understanding of the characters while others are just fun jokes.

Another might be to just enjoy it and don't feel the need to rush it. The game is long with tons of story. And a lot of the stories wrap around other stories so rushing things will make most of the game have less of an impact. Personally it's one of my favorite game of all time but some feel the opposite.
>>
>>389382142
>what should I be on the look out for?
Grinding and shitty translation.
>>
>>389382980
>It's not 12 years long
Oh, yes it is
>>
>>389382142
Don't grind jobs if you don't want to break the game with overpowered party members.
>>
delete maribel
>>
dq7 goes past the point of reasonable length for me and just became a drag to play
>>
>>389385071
Even if you avoid all enemies on the map, in dungeons the hallways are so narrow you can barely avoid them. It balances it out.
>>
DQ7 is the contrarian's favorite DQ. Prove me wrong.
>>
>tfw immediately grinded out every class to unlock the advanced ones
I love the class system in this game, your skills get nuts and many of them cost 0MP.
>>
>>389392212
DQV is my favorite (not counting Dragon Warrior Monsters), but I would say VII is in top 5 for sure. I never played the PS1 version, but the 3DS game is fantastic.
>>
Is Dragon Quest III any good?
>>
>>389392824
yes
>>
>>389392824
Holy shit yes. Its a game where you make your own party though, so don't expect much party chat.
>>
>>389382142
>any important helpful tips?
Be sure to reproduce so your grandkids can finish the game for you after you die.
>>
This one's a little spoilery, so look if you want or don't, whatever.

Don't make Maribel your only healer.
>>
>>389392948
>>389392913
Cool I just bought the SNES version. Hoping it's a good entry point.

Should I be Male or Female?
>>
>>389392948
Not him, but what makes 3 so good? As far as I know, it don't have the story of 5, or the characters of 4.
But I always see it spoken highly about.
>>
I'm playing through DQVIII but I assume a lot of the advice stays the same
>Talk to fucking everyone, they're literally all walking FAQs
>Seriously these fuckers will tell you things you need to know hours later
>The game is a++ but it's slow
>Abuse anything with the word Boom in it
>>
>>389393092
If I remember correctly, the best option is male character, all female party members due to stat growth and gear. You can rock out however you'd like.

>>389393123
It has the fantastic class system, rock solid level design and superb music. The game feels like they really nailed all the best aspects of DQII while also introducing new mechanics. Things like exploring with the boat are just a blast; the game does a great job of gradually opening up. It also serves as a nice bookend on I and II; you don't need to play those prior to this one, but if you did, you'll get some fuzzy feelings.
>>
>>389393463
Boomerangs are your friend early on.
>>
>>389392212
That would be 6.
>>
>>389393730
Boomerangs are your friend period, at least in DQVIII. Especially for Metal Slimes. fuck metal slimes I swear to fucking god
>>
>>389393839
6 is underrated as fuck
i enjoyed it more than i did 5 or 8
>>
File: 1456120939278.jpg (180KB, 620x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1456120939278.jpg
180KB, 620x1000px
>>389393839
Honestly it would probably be II. I actually like that game but its such a fucking mess, easily the weakest entry in theseries.
>>
>>389393905
but they stop being that useful when you realize
metal slimes are EXTREMELY vulnerable to sleep in this game
>>
>>389382142
do not invest ur seeds into prince guy
>>
>>389393975
No that's I.
>lol beat the Golem with a flute. By the way we won't tell you they're connected
>lol literally no party customization or actual decision making
>lol almost all of the enemies are reskins
>>
>>389393992
Brb going to kill some metal slimes
>>
>>389393905
Best thing for metal slimes are the spear and axe critical hit skills.
>>
>>389394102
I is relaxing as fuck to play, honestly. The 1 on 1 combat is simple and the world isn't really that large. I've beaten it a few times now and I think it still holds up as a fun retro RPG.
>>
>>389394215
The grinding is a pain in the ass, though.
>>
>>389394301
I don't know, I never found it that bad. You don't need to be particularly high leveled for Dracolord and you can find treasure to help you out if you explore.
>>
>>389394442
Maybe it was just how simple it was. Attack. Walk around. Attack.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.