[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tips For Designing Characters?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

File: x9v3nrdzbpiptllcsk2r.png (330KB, 800x492px) Image search: [Google]
x9v3nrdzbpiptllcsk2r.png
330KB, 800x492px
I aint no Tetsuya Nomura but im really trying to improve my designs so they dont come off as bland. Tips?
>>
>>389381505
I've heard that good designed characters can be recognised by their silhouette alone. Give them sonething that defines them
>>
>>389381505
>Tetsuya Nomura
There's your problem.
>>
Belts and Zippers
>>
>>389381816
This, I'd also suggest to try and design them with no more than 2 primary colors, and use black and white for a third and fourth if you REALLY need them, but they'd be better off as some of the primary
>>
>>389381505
I've heard that a good design should have just one or two relatively simple and easy-to-recognize key points, like Cloud's sword and spiky hair. Pizza cutter guy design is an example of a design that's way too busy.

Also should never have more than two main colors and two supporting colors.
>>
>>389381505
pick something and go crazy with it. examples that have already been done are zippers and belts.
>>
File: Lightning Cloud.jpg (73KB, 657x600px) Image search: [Google]
Lightning Cloud.jpg
73KB, 657x600px
>>389381505
Make Cloud female
>>
>>389381816
he said he wanted DESIGN not memorability. they could still have a shit design but a recognizable silhouette. and that only works AFTER the character has been established and has gain a significant amount of popularity otherwise how else could you tell who it is? that silhouette thing is only good for like i mentioned brand recognition and posturing for the character in media such as promotion displays.
>>
>>389381505
"Overdesigned" don't exists, don't listen to people crying about belts and zippers, and don't do a generic design unless you want it to be generic.

And don't listen to 4chan.
>>
File: Ruby_WEAPON_Artwork.jpg (124KB, 893x1160px) Image search: [Google]
Ruby_WEAPON_Artwork.jpg
124KB, 893x1160px
>>389381923
still gud at monsters
>>
>>389381505
Have you tried adding more buckles yet?
>>
>>389383181
good design means good readability in the silhouette. You're supposed to recognize WHAT it is. It's a core fundamental of character designing. fucking christ you have no idea what the fuck you're saying
>>
File: Aya_Art.png (585KB, 490x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Aya_Art.png
585KB, 490x1000px
>people pretending like nomura wasn't good pre-FFX
>>
File: 5562.jpg (1MB, 2647x3800px) Image search: [Google]
5562.jpg
1MB, 2647x3800px
>>389385170
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.