[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Education GD

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

Which degree is better for game designer:
Educational Studies (University of Tokyo)
or Game Development degree from colleges
(DigiPen or HAL) ?
>>
>degree
Worthless in 2017 unless it's from an ivy league. Just learn online and build a portfolio. If you absolutely need a course kind of structure use something like Lynda or Treehouse.
>>
Certification in a skilled trade so you have a real job to support you while you work on vidya as a hobby in spare time
>>
>>389348076
>worthless
LOL no
OP get a degree in computer science, do game dev stuff by yourself. Because you can get good jobs with a CS degree and you'll have more knowledge as well
>>
>>389348175
You'll get the same jobs if you learn CS on your own and don't got 40k in the hole to a bank
>>
>>389348076
Now I cannot, because in our country you have to go to the military service if you not go to the university ( it is really not cool system)
>>
>>389348235
Get rekt then. Idk I'd say game development if you want to be a game designer. Not sure how Educational Studies would help in that path.
>>
>>389348207
You have to be majorly autistic to learn everything and more that you'd learn getting a degree. You have to have more knowledge and more projects and work done tenfold compared to someone with a degree because they need to know you're at least capable of learning and following structure. Some places just throw out resumes if they don't even have a degree and that's a fact
>>
>>389348361
Some places just throw out resumes at random because they don't want unlucky applicants
>>
Education degree will help you to create meaningful games with cool and thoughtful interesting design concepts and so programming made that amazing stuff reality.
>>
if you are too dumb to learn that stuff for free online, you are too dumb to be a gamedev,

source: im a game dev
>>
>>389351230
>source: I made a mobage that got 7 downloads after posting it on /r/Unity3D
>>
>>389351317
you can believe whatever you want.
now go back to your wagecuck job
>>
>>389348026
Anecdote, but my buddy has been in AAA games dev for a decade and just threw up his hands and went into enterprise software.

As a department lead he has been let go with glowing reviews from 5 studios after release of a top tier critically acclaimed games, and once from a studio that collapsed. He has been paid much less than his peers in industry support and in software/social media development, and has had recently to deal with suits and monetization (think future internet gambling) more than actual design. He has had an ex wife sue him for custody (which he has) 3 times on being let go, and each time he was picked up in a week and crushed her, but it has been hugely stressful.

Meanwhile, my other buddy who does a similar job has been basically a mercenary for the same time period, and has probably made 5x as much.

>inb4 none of this matters, im a college kid and family and mortgages arent important.
>>
>>389351817
*similar job in finance software management
>>
>>389351496
So how's that nodev going? Did you figure out if you wanted to use Unity or UE yet?
>>
>>389351817
Also, he didnt have a college degree, he started in QA and stayed late to learn system design
>>
>>389348026
FEISAR
>>
>>389351940
>he started in QA
QA is a really shitty way of getting into the dev industry nowadays, you'll mostly be relegated to QA for a long ass time.
>>
>>389352050
From what he told me I agree to an extent, but as always cream rises to the top, and many of the guys in QA are neckbeards like OP who just want to be in games development and dont have a work ethic.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.