[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Kotaro Uchikoshi games (Ever 17, Remember 11, Zero Escape)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 9

File: file.png (4MB, 1200x1552px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
4MB, 1200x1552px
Can we have a thread about this madman?
I just finished every game of him except Never 7, here are my impressions and ratings of his games (in my own playing order) to start the thread off.

999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors.
9/10: Excellent writing, but sometimes gameplay matters, and some of the puzzles later on get really bullshit and unfun (engine room for example). Still, it's almost perfect. On writing alone, and played on a NDS, it's truly flawless if you ignore the puzzle sections.

Virtue's Last reward.
9.5/10: I know this is controversial, but I enjoyed it much more than the previous game. The puzzles are vastly better and slightly harder (in a good way) except for the fucking dice puzzles. I enjoyed the breadth of twists too, I managed to be surprised by them without feeling like they were too bullshit. I know people say Sigma not noticing his eye was bullshit, but I honestly don't think I touch my eyes all that often, and he was there for like a single day. That said, the game is not perfect: the travel sections take up a massive part of the gameplay, and the beep beeps drive me insane. Nonary Games failed to fix this issue.

Zero Time Dilemma.
8/10: Again, I expect this rating to be controversial. I really enjoyed this game, especially thanks to the threads on /v/. If you judge it compared to the other games, it truly sucks, but it's still better than most games of this kind on the market, and my rating is meant to show that. It's not a masterpiece by any means, but it's a solid game, if a terrible end to the franchise.

Ever17.
10/10 for final route, 5/10 for the rest of routes: I don't think this needs any explanation. Before the final route, the VN kind of fucking sucks. But the final route is still the best thing Uchikoshi has ever been involved in, and the ending is definitely one of my favorite endings in fiction.

(Continued in thread.)
>>
Okay but what about Punch Line? yes I know his role in it was vastly overstated
>>
>>389344715
>not loving e17 for the sora route
pleb
>>
>>389344854
The best work he is involved
>>
>>389344854
he probably only was responsible for the body switching shenanigans
>>
File: sleeptightuchi.png (604KB, 707x882px) Image search: [Google]
sleeptightuchi.png
604KB, 707x882px
>>389344715
Remember 11.
8/10: The true plot of Remember11, had it been properly shown, would probably beat all the games in this list. But it just wasn't. This is an unfinished game, lacking a true final route, and it really shows, even if it tries hard to avoid it, for meta reasons. It really hurts that the story wasn't realized, but on one hand, the main routes are good, way better than Ever17, and on the other hand, [MASSIVE REMEMBER 11 SPOILERS]it WAS realized in 999, pretty much. Condenses some of the best parts of the twists, even though it ignores the Self part.

Never 7:
Actually I'm currently playing this. It seems like a 2/10 right now. Seriously, what the fuck is this UI.

>>389344854
Punchline:
3/10: Honestly, it had some good parts, and some potential, but it just didn't happen and I hear the game is actually somehow worse. It was fun, watching it with /a/, I'll admit that. Despite you saying his role was overstated, it really did feel like his writing, somehow.
>>
File: kevthumb.gif (907KB, 150x113px) Image search: [Google]
kevthumb.gif
907KB, 150x113px
>>389344870
Dude are you me? Everyone seems to dislike her route.
>>
File: 1457665595687.png (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1457665595687.png
1MB, 1280x720px
>>389344870
>>389345054
OP here, if it was just sora route leading into the final route of course the rating would be higher. But having to play 4 routes where events are largely the same chicken sandwich kick the can bullshit really gets old and lowers my opinion of the game as a whole.
>>
File: 20160702_161300.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160702_161300.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
He gave a really good talk at a con right after ZTD came out. (The con where he got the poster about sigma's canon huge dick.) I've been unsuccessfully trying to find an pic of the slide showing how he himself falls down the rabbithole with conspiracies and weird science stuff.
>>
File: 20160702_161253.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160702_161253.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
that pic is shit, maybe this one's better. my phone was almost dead going into the panel
>>
>>389344715
JC, a bomb!
>>
File: 1374524750987.jpg (76KB, 500x384px) Image search: [Google]
1374524750987.jpg
76KB, 500x384px
Maybe I should have started the thread a bit later, americans are dead and largely his audience.
>>
>>389345596
Rolling dice ezpz

Nightmare mode puzzle: sliding blocks
>>
>>389345657
sliding blocks could be easily bruteforced, at least. I legitimately spent over one hour on the last dice puzzle on my first playthrough
>>
When's his new game coming out?
>>
>>389345717
It was the opposite for me, it's pretty easy to bruteforce dice because you can just get the face you want to show on the side (so it won't change as you roll it in a straight line) running one row adjacent, then flip it over. Since the face stays the same you can be sure that will be the number that shows when you flip once to the side.

Sliding blocks will get you nowhere if you aren't thinking at least somewhat
>>
>>389345779
No news but some rumours state it's likely 2018. VNs don't take that long to make anyways, this ain't an RPG.
>>
http://www.dualshockers.com/zero-escape-director-kotaro-uchikoshi-gives-insight-on-project-psync-image/

seems this is all we got since march, I wonder if they actually have a plot planned
>>
>>389345596
Maybe no one cares about your personal opinion on a bunch of games that have been discussed to death already.
>>
Played all 3 Zero Escape games. If I had to rate them numerically, I'd give each entry anywhere between 6 and 8. Liked them, but all 3 had issues that prevented me from giving them anything above 8.

Played Ever17. I agree with OP that the true end is 10/10 and the rest 5/10. Had some horrid pacing issues in the middle and some of the choices are just not telegraphed well as to what it's consequences would be. 10/10 girls though. Tsugumi is delicious, You is just fun to talk to, Sora has UNNNGGHH voice-acting, Sara is cute.

Only played 1 route of Never7. Got a good ending without a guide, feels good. Will get to the others eventually. Haven't played Remember 11. Haven't played Punchline but did watch it. Fun anime, enjoyed it. Helps that the studio behind it (MAPPA) is pretty competent. Good animations and direction. Also 9/10 music. OP and ED are exceptional, actually have it saved on my phone.
>>
>>389346510
I've honestly never seen a deep discussion on Remember 11 or Never 7, that's why I made the thread really. Do you really prefer the spam threads we've been getting lately?
>>
>ZTD
>8/10
Consider an heroing, you fucking chalkboard.
>>
>>389344715
VLR is definitely my favorite of the ZE trilogy. 999 has great atmosphere but the gameplay and structure is rather tedious. ZTD had the potential to be the best game but it was clearly rushed and they chose a really bad studio to outsource the cinematics to.

I'm looking forward to psync, whatever it might be.
>>
>project psync
I'm mildly curious. Do you think the hack won't blow it this time?
>>
>>389345054
actually, yes, I am you. Now go touch myself.
>>
>>389347656
It's generally accepted that ZTD sucked because Uchikoshi rewrote a perfectly good script because of the long time that passed. I don't think Uchi's writing ability actually decreased, it's just that the original ending was so good that a "rewritten ending" sucked by comparison.
>>
>>389345596
>americans his audience
oh boy, how can you be so wrong
>>
>>389348013
999 didn't even get an european release, and it was vastly more popular in the US than in japan, if I remember correctly.
>>
>>389347970
I disagree, the problem with ZTD was the presentation first and foremost. The writing style didn't fit it and the studio they got to do the visuals/animations was awful. And it probably drained a lot of the budget so certain stuff had to be cut. If it was in the VLR style then I think it would have turned out a lot better.
>>
>>389348098
I think we agree with our conclusion though, that Psync will probably be good despite of how ZTD was worse.
>>
>>389348164
Depends on how the game works but I do think the fact that it has a clean slate means it'll probably be better. Though you have to wonder how much Spike Chunsoft will interfere with the project, considering VLR and ZTD weren't that successful.
>>
A bigger fucking fraud than Kojima.
>>
Spoil me on remember11
>>
>>389346750
>I've honestly never seen a deep discussion on Remember 11 or Never 7
Not on /v/, because they don't belong here.
>>
>>389348716
Never 7 has gameplay and route balance, though.
>>
File: 1466889952750.png (2MB, 1422x932px) Image search: [Google]
1466889952750.png
2MB, 1422x932px
Uchi is a hack.
>N7 is mediocre
>E17 is mostly mediocre aside from the last route
>R11 is pretty good but is unfinished
>Uchi says there'll be a sequel
>Does 180 some time later and says the game is already finished and was finished from day 1
>Zero Escape is a spiritual successor to Infinity series
>Keeps reusing the same ideas from N7/E17/R11 in ZE
>Promises a lot of shit to be in ZTD
>Can't also reuse previous ideas because he mostly used them all up in 999 and VLR, so he has to come up with something original
>Goes back on all the promises and the game turns out to be fucking shit
>Starts backpedaling in interviews by spouting lies and other bullshit
>Still gets praised as one of the best writers
His best buddy, Kodaka, is a hack as well. Keeps reusing ideas and even takes some ideas from Infinity/ZE series to put in Danganronpa since they're friends.
>>
>ZTD 8/10
> I really enjoyed this game, especially thanks to the threads on /v/
>Punchline 3/10
> It was fun, watching it with /a/, I'll admit that.
Are you judging them by your personal enjoyment or not? You give some different vibes here.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.