[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should i play the original one or this one is better?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 121
Thread images: 14

File: 637389777.jpg (41KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
637389777.jpg
41KB, 460x215px
Should i play the original one or this one is better?
>>
it's better but the original still holds up. also the xen part of BM isn't ready yet.
>>
both are good, but black mesa has a few levels missing from near the end of the game
play the original first
>>
>>389341457
original then this
>>
>>389341457
>Should I play the original developer's representation or the fans' first

ummm....anon....
>>
It's a tough call. I'd say for the MOST PART Black Mesa is a straight up improvement on HL1, keeping most of what made it so good in but expanding on it.

That said, it has made a few changes/departures from the original that are questionable, and one or two that are unquestionably bad. I'd still say the "better" stuff outweights the questionable and bad by large margin, but it does introduce the question of whenever you should not play both. And if you consider playing both, then definitely play the original FIRST.

Also as many had pointed out, Black Mesa is not strictly speaking finished and lacks the final arks of the game. It also had cut some content which was later re-introduced with mods.
>>
>>389341457
Did they give up on Xen or is it still happening?
It has been years now.
>>
>>389341954
>Did they give up on Xen or is it still happening?
It's still happening, in fact the last mention of it claimed that it should be ready in a few months, though... you know how that goes.
Anyway, it's still in full development, they are just taking a fuckload of time as usual. It's only supposed to be released as a part of the commercial version of the mod though. Bit of a dick move.
>>
>>389341609
i have bought the complete collection of half life some times ago, i trued to play it but it's just me or the phisycs is REALLY bad,because every time i reach that part in the refridgerator(i think?) when you should move the box i'm stuck because i don't know how to move the object properly
>>
>>389341457
Play original now. Play Black Mesa once Xen is finished.
>>
>>389341457
What do you mean by "original"? Half-life or the first public release of BM? Both are better than the early access game regardless.
>>
>>389341457
Nah, play the original. The gunplay is tenfold more satisfying. I actually played BM after replaying HL, and I stopped halfway through because it just felt so damn bland. There's some good work done on all the assets, but it's the base that makes it suffer: HL2 just doesn't have the same feel.
Of course, if you're the kind of person who'd rather play Call of Duty over Doom, BM is probably better for you.
>>
File: 1361723824857.jpg (142KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1361723824857.jpg
142KB, 1024x768px
The original is the best
I don't dislike BM but I understand why people don't care for it.
It's certainly missing some uniqueness of the original Goldsrc game.

Just don't bother with HL source unless you want a laugh
>>
>>389341457
They're waiting for you Gordon
In
the
Tesssst chaammmbbbuuuururrrrr
>>
>>389342252
You have to hold E while moving objects in original HL. When you are holding down E while looking at the item, moving backwards will pull it with you, moving to sides will cause it to slide etc...
>>
>>389341457
Play original first, then BM. It's good and imo the gameplay itself is more refined, but it lacks the unique atmosphere, especially in the beginning.
>>
File: 1464911858545.gif (973KB, 300x196px) Image search: [Google]
1464911858545.gif
973KB, 300x196px
>>389342252
this has to be trolling, no-one is that stupid
>>
>>389341457
Kinda hard to say

I think playing the original then BM. There's things that I just don't agree with what they did in BM. In HL1 the game's combat kinda plays out like DOOM and Quake in a sense that you're fast and pretty much just Run and Gun. In BM you end up just taking cover and peeking shots since:
1)They lower the amount of bullets you can hold on you and the gun
2)Enemies have the accuracy of a fucking android

Some level redesigns are questionable like On Rails and the conver belt one

Everything else is fine.
>>
File: Dota 2 Invoker Cold_Snap_icon.png (41KB, 128x128px) Image search: [Google]
Dota 2 Invoker Cold_Snap_icon.png
41KB, 128x128px
>>389341457
i'll recommend black mesa.

afterwards you cam watch a lets play of the original on youtube or just be satisfied.
>>
>>389342442
Why everyone dislike HL source?
>>
>>389341457
Play original Half Life and then wait three months for finished Xen and play Black Mesa.
>>
File: 1504506289408.gif (201KB, 280x347px) Image search: [Google]
1504506289408.gif
201KB, 280x347px
>>389342791
in 3 months it's finally ready?
>>
>>389343024
>Unfortunately, as some of you may have already predicted, we are going to need to push back our planned release of Xen to later this year, in December. We know that this is not what anyone would want to hear, but after taking a long and hard look at what we want to achieve, we have decided that this is for the best. We do not want to compromise on Xen’s quality in any way. That said, we consider December to be a do-or-die deadline.

Seems that way
>>
>>389343106
>We do not want to compromise on Xen’s quality in any way
Last I heard, they were making more Xen than was actually in the original game so they could, and should, be done by now if they weren't going full sperg
>>
>>389343195
Apparently someone already made Xen based on original HL levels.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=894282258
>>
>>389342453
>nobody is actually waiting in the test chamber
>>
>>389341504
It's not better. Play original first and then black mesa after you've played all the official half life stuff. It's like a shorter way to replay the original with some worse parts
>>
Did anything ever come out of that pizza box ARG? I stopped participating when it felt like it was dying down with no progression.
>>
>>389341457
You should go with original Half-Life. Not for the sake of muh retro, muh classics, but simply because HL1 is good game on it's own.
Black Mesa, while being a good game too, shines brighter after you experienced what it was built upon. Comparing how maps look, how they made X and Y look with modern graphics, how they changed things up here and there - it all depends on you knowing what it all started with.
Honestly I say play HL, than Black Mesa, both games deserve at least ONE playthrough, and you will most likely have fun, unless you hate shooters (not sure why would you make a thread in that case).

That said, one of parts I liked about Black Mesa is general feel of environments. They did good at capturing that "lab" feel, in Questionable Ethics for example. Those empty, quietly humming rooms chock-full of computers and equipment, eerie, but comfy feel all around. Basically, it really feels like place where scientists could work. Many other modern games fail to capture that feel, and their buildings look like simple decorations for you to run around in, totally not made for some other purpose.
FPS genre should return to Earth and use regular, mundane environments (except sewers) more often. Caverns, space bases and all that stuff is seriously tiring, it's much more fun to see some locations you "can" visit in real life, like cinema in Douk3D, or farms of Redneck Rampage, or, well, high-security research facilities in the middle of nowhere like in HL.
>>
>>389342786
people would have loved it if it was like black mesa and not just a port with better water
>>
What are the actual differences between hl1 and black mesa? Is it just a port/hd remake or does it effect gameplay beyond slightly differently shaped rooms or different physics?
>>
>>389341609
nigga I would recommend Bionic Commando Rearmed over the original any day of the week. Any. Day. Of. The. Week. It is a straight upgrade.
>>
>>389343948
yeah but both are absolute dogshit trash sooo
>>
>>389343842
Remember the famous AI Half-Life had? Black Mesa doesn't
>>
>>389344070
You actually never notice it in game though.
>>
>>389344041
omfg i got trolled so hard

>>389344070
What, no cockroaches? How can I live!
>>
>>389344174
triggered lululul

its ok to have shit taste kiddo, you'll grow out of it I hope
>>
>>389343842
It's beyond the scope of a port or HD remaster as things are pretty much entirely redesigned to accomplish a similar feel to the original but with modern tech and ideas about level design. It's a love letter to Half Life that doesn't always hit its mark but when it does it works really well. AI felt pretty bad when I played though and idk if they ever improved things. You could sorta mess with them to make things bearable by tweaking their response time and accuracy but it never quite felt right to me.
Goldsrc and Source are very different engines and feel very different to play in and if you've ever played games in the engines you should expect that.
>>
>>389341607
This, Black Mesa is very enjoyable when you can notice the differences between it and the original
>>
>>389341457
Unfortunately, you will not be able to appreciate the original if you didn't play it when it was released. Just suck it up and play Black Mesa, you will enjoy it anyhow.
>>
>>389344237
You seriously this much of a shit about cockroaches? Black Mesa has lasers and teleporters, would they really have trouble with a bug infestation? Or are there roaches on Xen that portaled to the facility? So stupid.
>>
>>389344250
That first usage of "feel" is not quite what I mean. Not sure how to fix though.
>>
>>389341504
xen was pretty shit anyway
>>
File: 1497398333272.png (173KB, 406x406px) Image search: [Google]
1497398333272.png
173KB, 406x406px
>>389344403
>you will not be able to appreciate the original if you didn't play it when it was released
Are you one of those fags who think games age just because you are incapable of enjoying retro? Half-life still holds up just fine
>>
>>389344553
It was nice to finally have a section where you finally get to use the long jump from the tutorial
>>
>>389341457
If you had to play just one I would recommend Black Mesa
>>
>>389344698
wait, the long jump was in the tutorial?
why??
>>
>>389344403
kek nu-male get out lmfao
>>
>>389341457
It's not fully finished yet. Though does it still have aimbot HCEU guys I don't know, there were two chapters significantly shortened but at least one of those was officially restored from what I recall, while some other guy restored another as a mod.
>>
>>389344403
I appreciated the fuck out of System Shock 1 when I played it a year ago. I appreciated it a lot more than you fucks did in 1994 because then games like that were the norm, but today it was compared to all the terrible shit companies release today and I was amazed.
>>
>>389341457
The last area of HL isn't remade yet for Black Mesa yet, supposedly it's coming out in December but they've been delaying it for the past 5 years so who knows.
>>
>>389342442
DR FREEMAN I'M HECU
>>
>>389341457
play OG, you will appreciate Black Mesa better
>>
Play the original first. BM is a fan interpretation of Half-Life with meme inserts into their shitty script writing.

The movement also feels like dogshit and the AI was modified from HL2's combine so it really sucks. HL looks dated but there's a level of polish you won't find in BM.
>>
Also the voice acting in BM sucks. They had a white guy to voice Eli (his barney impression happens to be spot on tho)
>>
>>389345635
>Also the voice acting in BM sucks
it doesn't
>>
>>389344806
Because Hazard Course is a part of HL lore and is meant to train scientists to use HEV to fight aggressive Xen wildlife and navigate the borderworld (but they don't know it yet).

>>389344250
I agree that BM nails the feel of Black Mesa, both the busy part and especially (my favorite!) the dusty, dilapidated, Cold War era Old Mesa parts, but I wouldn't call HL environment mundane and compare them to the way Duke uses city streets. You're still fighting through high-tech facilities and repurposed military bases, and that's before you go to a completely alien world.
>>
>>389345668

subjective
but it most certainly does; I never liked Mike's interpretation of the scientist
>>
the original had better gameplay

black mesa has pretty graphics
>>
>>389343768
But if it's a port with better water isn't it better than the original then?
>>
They outright hired a new professional VA to voice the grunts in the retail version because they got so many complaints. So there's that too.
>>
>>389341457
Play the original first and then the black mesa.
>>
>>389345812
hopy fuck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=So-RgEt9L20
what the fuuuuuuUUUCK is this, Half-Life: The Anime?
>>
>>389345807
Better water but worse character and weapon models
>>
>>389345923
I'll do you one better. Actually from the mod release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HDtcsvBf8k

On the record you don't necessarily need "professional" actors, just a competent voice director.
>>
>>389346087
Wow this MGS remake is lookin good
>>
>>389346087
kek
I just played it and the voices are miles better now
>>
>>389344403
You will appreciate it more if you play a couple of modern shooters and then HL1
>>
File: Gordon Freeman.jpg (231KB, 1280x986px) Image search: [Google]
Gordon Freeman.jpg
231KB, 1280x986px
>>389341457
Play both, but the original first.

>>389344403
What a worthless fucking opinion.
>>
>>389341457
play the original
black mesa changes some stuff and moves some things around so you won't get the "authentic" experience of what half life 1 is
plus with the screenshots of the final area they've shown so far it seems like they're taking a lot of liberties with their "interpretation" of it
>>
>>389345172

yes the soldiers are still aimbots, ill be seriously pissed if that is kept in when xen releases

they may have played the levels so much they thinks its fine, but its not, you get minced in seconds if they spot you and its just not fun, the game is supposed to be an experience not so much a challenge and saving and loading because you get swarmed by dickheads that dont miss breaks the experience.
>>
>>389341457
the original you dumb twat
>>
>>389346907
>the game is supposed to be an experience not so much a challenge
holy shit I hate you so fucking much
>saving and loading because you get swarmed by dickheads
you have an incredibly wide arsenal of toys, some of the stinkers of the original are buffed (SMG, shotgun), I've completed 2011 version without quicksaving on Hard (except for that one bomb warehouse) and I'm not even good at FPS, and they've completely changed the AI in Steam version anyway
>>
Black Mesa was one of the worst experiences of my gaming life.
I've only played Half Life twice but even I know that this pile of shit isn't want was meant to be.

Its a clusterfuck of game design. The levels are to cluttered for a start. They added hundreds of doors to make the place seem realistic but none of them can be opened. Couple this with the fact they have not stuck to Valves idea of using lighting to direct the players attention and you are left running at every door hoping that this one opens.
Some doors have tiny grey door handles and to start with I thought that showed what door could be opened. Nope, its apparently random.

The balance has also been completely fucked with. Bullsquids are now the most powerful thing in the game with a spit that is almost impossible to dodge because its recycled from HL2:Ep2's poison antlions.

Levels have been stretched out and twisted, seemingly in an attempt to make the game longer. Gunfights are now a lot longer and about half way though it started feeling like a slog. It took slightly less than double the time that it took me to beat HL, even without Xen.

The new characters and voicelines are the only bonus I can think of to play Black Mesa for, but even these are spoiled by the often mean-spirited humor done at the expense of them.
One dude that sticks out most in my mind is the guard that lets you into the Lambda Complex. He has never been anything but a nice dude and is very likeable.
Just after you enter, an Alien Soldier spawns behind him as he says how happy he is that your journey wasn't worst.
The door closes and you hear him being horrifically killed and beaten over the course of 30 seconds.
It's clearly meant to be a joke but it wasn't funny because the guy had done nothing to deserve such a horrible fate. It came off as mean and I stopped playing for a while because I actually felt uneasy. This feeling of mean spiritness is present though the whole game, but that was the point it really hit home.
>>
>>389348727
>Bullsquids are now the most powerful thing in the game
what the hell man
>>
>>389348727
>One dude that sticks out most in my mind is the guard that lets you into the Lambda Complex. He has never been anything but a nice dude and is very likeable.
>Just after you enter, an Alien Soldier spawns behind him as he says how happy he is that your journey wasn't worst.
>The door closes and you hear him being horrifically killed and beaten over the course of 30 seconds.
>It's clearly meant to be a joke but it wasn't funny because the guy had done nothing to deserve such a horrible fate. It came off as mean and I stopped playing for a while because I actually felt uneasy. This feeling of mean spiritness is present though the whole game, but that was the point it really hit home.

;_;
>>
File: 1504598216952m.jpg (90KB, 907x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1504598216952m.jpg
90KB, 907x1024px
>>389348727
2/2
The gunplay is also shit.
The SMG for one is seemingly perfectly accurate and leaves little reason to use anything elseas ammo is far more plentiful for it than anything else.
It also takes two shots to kill almost anything with the Colt which is just a no.

Overall: Play the original. Its better designed, streamlined, has better gameplay and you have 20 years of mods and maps.

Oh god, don't even get me started on the dumbed down puzzles.
No switches in On A Rail?
Laser shield is now just a bright blue plug?
Fuck you Crowbar Collective
>>
FUCKING CROUCH JUMP
>>
>>389349408
>The SMG for one is seemingly perfectly accurate and leaves little reason to use anything elseas ammo is far more plentiful for it than anything else.
Glock is more accurate and does more damage. Shotgun is incredible in 2011, nerfed in Steam. SMG was nerfed in Steam too.

>It also takes two shots to kill almost anything with the Colt
Kind of like original, then? The ammo for Colt is also more scarce.

The only problems I have with the balancing of combat is that controllers are literally non-threatening and agrunts feel weaker (and look like alienlets).
>>
>>389349408
Oh, and the fucking physics puzzle at the start of apprehension with no actual fucking physics. The walkway just fucking pops right up when you add enough floating barrels. I didn't know if this was the wrong thing to do or if I was missing a barrel because the walk way is stiff as a fucking board until you add the final one
>>
>>389348727
>original
>scientist says how they drew straws to choose whoever goes sitting in that room waiting for Freeman to arrive or to get his butt raped by aliens
>he clearly is not happy with drawing short one
>this one is not mean-spirited joke
Come on now, dude.
>>
Black Mesa is an overdesigned piece of shit that completely misses the point of HL asthetics.
>>
>>389349705
No, thats not mean spirited or a joke.
Its exposition explaining why this dude is just standing and waiting for you rather than retreat to safety.
I don't know what you think a joke is, but thats not one
>>
>>389349541
I DISCOVERED THAT THERE IS A
B U G G E D J U M P I N G M E C H A N I C
>>
>>389349705
That's not meant to be funny, I don't think?
Someone had to stay behind so they drew straws.
There's no joke there
>>
File: 1504612512087.jpg (36KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1504612512087.jpg
36KB, 600x600px
>Black Mesa gives you an auto-crouch jump option that is turned on by default
>>
Just play Sven co-op
>>
>>389350750
to be fair that thing was massively annoying in HL
>>
>>389349541
>>389350750
What's with people's obsession with crouch jumping? It's a meaningless mechanic, my dudes. The HL2 mini-mantle feels a lot better for movement.
>>
>>389341457
Original.
BM is not finished, and has tons of problems.
>>
>>389341457
If you haven't played the original, play that first.

It will make you appreciate the details in BM more as well.
>>
>>389342252
>i don't know how to move the object properly
you do know there's that Training mode for a reason, don't you?
>>
File: a73.png (298KB, 500x499px) Image search: [Google]
a73.png
298KB, 500x499px
Black Mesa has women and is thus better
>>
>>389341457
I really like Black Mesa, the team did what they set out to do, i.e make a proper remake of the original game. Of course there's going to be those who think it's worse than the original and that's because the BL team had make sensible level designing instead of the 90s nonsense but fun level designing and other similar shit.

Since Valve are by all probability done with making actual games (like HL and Portal), what I think is going to happen is that they will lend the IP to these guys and have them make Half-Life 3. I honestly wouldn't mind that, the Crowbar Collective has a better idea on how to make a Half-Life game than Valve does right now, the lazy cunts that the latte rare. Anyway, this is the best remake any game is going to get in this day and age, I challenge anyone to show me a better remake.
>>
>>389352316
The only remake which comes in mind is REmake, but yes, you're right.
>>
>>389352316
I remember people kinda hated BM a couple of years ago or so, I think it was because they went paid mod route. Anyway, I always thought it was a really good attempt with its heart in the right place. I just wish agrunts wouldn't be so damn tiny.
>>
>>389352316
Yakuza Kiwami is a much better game than the ps2 original
There's also the System Shock remake that looks pretty promising
>>
>>389344553
>xen was shit
Best part of the game by a long shot.

I bet you think 2d Sonic is tough to control too, don't you.
>>
so this is what xen's gonna look like
>>
>>389343106
What is going on? What could they possibly be trying to do that's taken years upon years of work?
>>
>>389353002
I like it has actual human equipament.
>>
So is the Xen section coming at the same time as half life 3
>>
>>389341457
The original, Black Mesa isn't finished

I'd wager that it might surpass the original if their take on Xen isn't a boring, disjointed slog of "platforming" and two very lousy bossfights
>>
>>389353002
I dig it. Hopefully they've gotten a little better at visual cues to help player along. Original xen was kinda confusing to navigate and having a lot more visual clutter could make it really bad.
>>
>>389353601
I hope they put some sort of "buoys" to mark the path put there by past expeditions. Would make sense in context and help navigate.
>>
>>389345923
>>389346087
lmao what the fuck kind of fag brigade is this
They're suppose to sound like this
Shitty radio quality
Dark grunts
Intimidating
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fhu72Ygghg
>>
File: abudabu.png (726KB, 500x499px) Image search: [Google]
abudabu.png
726KB, 500x499px
>>389352298
>posting the shit version
>>
Isn't black mesa unfinished
>>
File: bm.jpg (195KB, 1500x844px) Image search: [Google]
bm.jpg
195KB, 1500x844px
>>389351042
It's not a meaningless mechanic when the game actually requires you to use it. Black Mesa's jump height was ridiculously low which meant that you had to use crouch jump all the time, in situations where you really shouldn't need it. It got annoying.

Look at pic related, it's some barrels from Black Mesa. You can't jump on either of those barrels with just the normal jump, you need crouch-jump if you want to get on top of either of them. In HL1, you could reach the barrel on the left with the crouch-jump and the one on the right with the normal jump. In HL2, you could reach either of them with the normal jump.
It's not important to get on those two barrels specifically, but they highlight just how pitiful the jump height is, and how useless it is in situations where you do need to jump high enough in order to reach places.

I only have the free release though, and I'm not sure if the paid version ever altered the jump height.
>>
>>389356712
>Black Mesa's jump height was ridiculously low which meant that you had to use crouch jump all the time
At that point, why have crouch jump instead of just normal jump in the first place?
>>
>>389353002
I don't like it desu, it looks too much like a coral reef and not like some surreal dimension.
>>
I don't know if they buffed weapons but grunts die way too fast in BM. Played them both back to back and aliens give me more trouble while in the original i had tougher time with human enemies.
>>
>>389341457
>BLLCK MESA
What did they mean by this?
>>
>>389352778
The system shock remake was looking good until they started again from scatch in unreal and now it's a "re imagining"
>>
>>389342252
Play the source version
>>
>>389345946
You can't use the non-hd models on source?
>>
>>389359596
>play the buggiest version
Lol no
>>
>>389352316
top fucking kek. I love how people think that just updating one of the most well designed games ever makes you qualified to design from scratch one of the most anticipated games ever
>>
>>389353002
Damn, Atlantica in KH3 looks neat
>>
>>389345812
i actually like mikee's voice acting, maybe its just because i played a lot of insurgency
>>
>>389353002
It doesn't really look alien at all, just underwater. >>389343427 looks better.
Thread posts: 121
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.