[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Could an open world RPG work if it let you pick where on the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

I was playing Fallout New Vegas, and thought how cool it would be to pick where you begin your quest to get to New Vegas. Based on difficulty you could start in areas closest or furthest from your goal with enemies that reflect that. But would that work or does it sound like it would mess up the design of the world with enemies scaling and going to these said places that would be the starting area for some and the unexplored for others. How do you think it would work, if not at all?
>>
Alternate start mods do this already,
>>
>>389330780
Those are for people who already played the game, can't do that if you're developing a new game.
As for OP it would make any kind of classic narrative hard to implement. What if the player finds a quest that assumes the player has some knowledge about the world already? It's not about difficulty but my first quest in the game is "go find this artifact to save the supermutants" i'm going to be hella confused. What is the artifact, what are supermutants, why should i help them, who are you and who am i ?
Your game need some kind of introduction and having a loading screen explain it to you is lame.
>>
>>389331260
To paliate this you would to make all quests bland and disconected from the world as to not be possibly confusing and you end up with boring and bland quests.
>>
>>389330247
Not really if there's a story path and a world that's scaled higher as you go out further from the starting zone, which is most RPGs.

It works really well in games that are more about dynamic gameplay and exploration, though. Mount & Blade: Warband and STALKER CoC come to mind as games that do this very well, since it's not where you start, but what you do afterwards that matters; making each part of the game world as valid as any other.
>>
You mean like Dragon Age?
>>
>>389330247
You mean like Mount and Blade?
>>
>>389330780
>>389331260
I understand and see where your coming from, and if it was with fallout NV it would be a problem with the quests, but lets say its a new game. not fallout just a new open world rpg. Each place you pick to start is a branch that leads you to the open world part lets say the whole tree. while they act as areas you get a feel for based on who you play. Normal starts the game in an area with little to no monsters but shows you how the world works while you work your way to the base of the tree from the branch. Hard Has monsters and fights that are hard and you have to explore with in the harder area to know where you are and how the world works. Both of them end with you entering the open world and starting your game. Kind of like saying Normal mode starts you in Good spring but hard would start you somewhere close to Caesar's men. Both starting branches want you to get to New Vegas. and for the new open world RPG both levels want you to start out where you would like to but they both end up leading you into the world to begin your true quest and explore the whole world.
>>
>>389331428
Yeah something like that. I'll make sure to give these game a try.
>>
>>389330247
>How do you think it would work, if not at all?
Just keep the intention in mind during the design process and it should be fine.
>>
>>389330247
>Could an open world RPG work if it let you pick where on the map you wanted to start?
You mean... like Mount and Blade, Stalker Call of Chernobyl and Kenshi? Yeah, it can work, but you have to sacrifice most if not all story progression and or structure of the early game, meaning that achieving similar type of story as New Vegas had is nearly impossible. You'd probably also have to employ at least partial level scaling or jump through some interesting hoops to keep the difficulty curve sane.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.