[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why is piracy such a hotly debated topic here on /v/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 7

File: deal with it.png (55KB, 743x832px) Image search: [Google]
deal with it.png
55KB, 743x832px
why is piracy such a hotly debated topic here on /v/?
>>
>>389319050
paid marketers and trolls
nothing else
>>
>>389319050
Because there are autists who paid money and want compensation.

Man those Cemu threads were fucking gold.
>>
>>389319158
>paid shills
>on 4chan

Maybe facebook and twitter but 4chan is the least profitable place for any advertisements.
>>
/toy/ buys their shit
>>
File: 1501399077663.png (228KB, 245x458px) Image search: [Google]
1501399077663.png
228KB, 245x458px
>>389319345
>but 4chan is the least profitable place for any advertisements.
that's where you're very wrong kiddo
kids come here thinking they're edgy and then they see an opinion everywhere and think "oh i better agree with this since i'm edgy" meanwhile it's a shill posting
>>
Is there anything sadder than white knighting for kikes?
>>
>>389319184
>paid money and want compensation
Cemufags?
>>
File: 1502058494888.jpg (33KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1502058494888.jpg
33KB, 640x480px
>>389319345
newfag spotted
>>
>>389319050
Cause game development is a comparatively risky art form while simultaneously more prone to piracy. If you care at all about the industry you'd be anti-piracy cause it actively makes it harder for devs to make games.
>>
>>389319479
>>389319578
What if the shills are actually shitposters that unintentionally shilled?
>>
>>389319379
I think the transformer is /m/, senpai.
How do you even pirate toys?

Also, I'm surprised /t/, of all boards, isn't there.
>>
>>389319050
Someone post the "I think I should be able to kill the jewish race, but you do you man..." pic
>>
>>389319050
Because unlike other mediums there's not better way to support a developer you like other than buying their games.
>>
>>389319597
this
>>
>>389319597
>games are more risky than indie film and music

Wew lads, they were making better games for free on Newgrounds than they do for 10 bucks on Steam now.
>>
>>389320551
>games are more risky than indie film and music
It's true though. Making a good game requires a multi-million dollar budget, not like an indie film/music. Inherently more risky.

>they were making better games for free on Newgrounds than they do for 10 bucks on Steam now
If all you want to play are shitty flash games then be my guest.
>>
>>389319345
There are definately shill threads. Its obvious when you get to know them, not always but more often than not WoW shills come out of the woodworks during the end/start of an expac. Its either that or expert shitposting, just the way the replies and posts are its like normies trying to do an impression of how they think /v/ acts. Its embarrassing.
>>
>>389319050
Games are expensive and do not deserve their price.
Denuvo can go kill itself.
And there aint no fucking way i'll pay again for a game that i used to have on ps1,ps2 or lost as a child.
>>
>>389319050
Free software has to do with the lisence not the price.
>>
>>389319050
because 80% of /v/ is normalfag consumer cuckolds that unironically partake in console wars too. you can all fuck off to reddit
>>
>>389319738
Probably because everyone forgets /t/ is a board
>>
File: 1362296060269.jpg (27KB, 419x304px) Image search: [Google]
1362296060269.jpg
27KB, 419x304px
>>389320696
>Making a good game requires a multi-million dollar budget
And yet Cave Story is better than most of today's multimillion games.
>>
I don't care for piracy one way or another but pirates who fish for (You)s are obnoxiously annoying. I prefer people who dick suck Sony or Nintendo and fight amongst one another because they're passionate about their hobby. PIrates only become vocal because they want to piss other people off with their piracy.
>>
>>389319345
>Maybe facebook and twitter but 4chan is the least profitable place for any advertisements.
4chan supposedly gets 107 million visits a month.
http://www.rank2traffic.com/4chan.org#
>>
File: 326.jpg (47KB, 345x311px) Image search: [Google]
326.jpg
47KB, 345x311px
Piracy doesn't bother me
Pirates using gold medal level mental gymnastics to convince everyone they aren't thieves do
>>
Self righteous children who are disillusioned by some mythical "industry" that must be protected
They probably make threads about video game journalism too

t. Hasn't pirated a game in years
>>
Why are Nintendo exclusives the most targeted for piracy? I hardly ever see people wanting to pirate PS4/Xbox exclusives...
>>
>>389323004
It literally isn't theft though
>>
>>389319050
Every one of those fags on top goes and cries on their respective mongolian basket-weaving forum about how their favorite things no longer cater to them, despite having never been a paying customer to begin with
>>
>>389323401
Is there a problem here?
>>
>>389323306
Because no one wants to buy a shitty Nintendo console for one or two Mario/Zelda games
>>
>>389323306
nobody cares about ps4 exlusives
>>
>>389320696
There are thousands of good games made off of people's spare time, and there are tons of great flash games that make 0 profit compared to mobile games which are designed to be worse on purpose to sucker money out of people and they get billions.
>>
>>389319345

If you want proof of viral marketing. Go to every webm thread you see on the catalog whenever you can for an entire week. Tell me how many of them get filled up with the same "Horizon wow moment" webms with the exact same filename and other such blatant bot spam
>>
>>389323004
Pirates aren't thieves, they're pirates
>>
>>389323004
>It's literally and legally not theft
>NU UH YOU EITHER ADMIT TO THEFT OR YOU'RE A DAMAGE CONTROL THEIF
Why are all moralfags such unstable nutjobs?
>>
Pirates wouldn't have bought it even if they didn't pirate. It's not a lost sale and no one is losing money - especially when they make upwards of 7 figs anyways. Also why should I spend $60 on a triple AAA game without any beta, demo, or way of verifying it isn't dogshit? Fuck that.
>>
>>389325712
>Pirates wouldn't have bought it even if they didn't pirate
No true, I treat pirating like a demo. If I beat a game I'll buy it.
>>
>>389319050
It really isn't, it's just people on /v/ are self-entitled cunts who will pirate literally anything for the principle of it and not because they can't afford it or they have no interest in buying it.
>>
>taking something without paying for it
>[smacks lips]
>>
even /lit/ pirates their shit, and it's not even expensive
>>
Working in the industry, I don't really think piracy can be entirely removed, but it is disheartening when something you worked on is pirated like 10X as much as it's sold, and when people playing this stuff isn't even aware that official release is available.
But that only applies to very niche products. Hopefully most people aren't uninformed enough not to know that you can actually legit buy some of the stuff they pirate.

But please. When you guys do pirate games or whatever, please use torrents at decent sites, xdcc or whatever. Nothing pisses me off more than aggregate sites making a penny out of work of crackers and fan-translators.
You say rest of 4chan is tolerant of piracy, which is true, but even they are gonna call you a dumbass if you watch your shit on KissCartoon or whatever.
>>
No one really cares though unless people act like an ass about it like >buyfagsactuallybuygames or >piratefagsreeee, however every board states that if you like something you should support it so more of that shit comes out.

Like /a/ pirates anime and manga yet buys merchandise etc.
>>
Marketers. Them, along with rampant shitposting/samefagging are why this board needs IDs
>>
>>389323004
>>389323004
It's not normal theft. It's more like the 'crime' when you xerox a textbook. I think that's just copyright infringement but I don't remember the exact offense
>>
File: 1500680313234.png (276KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1500680313234.png
276KB, 1280x720px
>>389319050
Because other media sources have multitudes of revenue sources, such as theatrical releases, syndication, commercial breaks, live performances, broadcast royalties etc. that don't have an actual effect on the product itself.
Meanwhile the only viable alternatives to paying for a game upfront is shit like microtransactions, DLC and subscription fees, all of which negatively impact the game in question.
There's also the fact that profit margins for the majority of video games are much narrower that than that of more established media. Film and television are consumed by nearly everybody, and music of any kind can be made for mere pennies by comparison. Meanwhile your options for video games are very limitied without a large budget and the audience (at least in the US) is still a small segment of the population for all but the very very most mainsream .0001% of titles.
>>
>>389319345
You couldn't be more fucking wrong when Horzion, and some other games where coming out the shilling was fucking huge, and the worst offenders were The Old Republic, and Mass effect 3 /v/ is the second largest board next to /pol/
>>
>>389319597
Prove it with evidence.
I am waiting to hear a company actually killed by piracy
>>
>>389319345
clearly weren't here when boarderlands/scribblenauts were being released
>>
>>389323004
It's a sale that never would have been made at no cost to the developers. I'm a tightwad who still holds onto AoE 2 and 3 and i will never pay for more games. For free, maybe, but for money, I'll just keep playing Rollercoaster tycoon
>>
>>389326437
video game industry makes more money than any other entertainment industry
>>
>>389326897
More money =/= more profit.
>>
>>389319345
You are naive. There are shills fighting shills in nearly any given thread. Hell, there are even shills in this thread.
>>
>>389326897
The United States is the richest country in the world yet has the highest poverty rates and greatest income equality of any first world nation by far.
What's your point?
>>
File: Win10 shilling 2.png (883KB, 1664x2068px) Image search: [Google]
Win10 shilling 2.png
883KB, 1664x2068px
>>389319345
Stop acting like this place is some dangerous wild west that normalfags are afraid to go. 4chan has been relatively mainstream for close to a decade now while having annual usebase breakthroughs in millions.

The anonymity of this site has always been an
easy place for corporate shills, government-enlisted scouts, online criminals, state authorities, and data miners to reside.
>>
>>389326897
While I agree that huge AAA devs crying about piracy is pretty bullshit, you'd be a fool to say that it doesn't hurt smaller releases.
Look at fucking DS when R4 was released, the sales of niche games plummeted, and it killed the chances of Ace Attorney Investigations 2 getting released over here.
>>
it's a fun topic when pirates try to justify it by whatever the fuck they can come up with (like you right now, if *insert board here* does it, it's fine right guys)
like fuck off I pirate games but atleast I understand what it does to the market
>>
>>389326970
Games studios still make more profit. A movies box office is split between the theater and the studio, plus advertising is often times many times the actual movies budget.

Buy ad space in prime tv is a lot costly than web ads and youtube.

On the indie end of things, its far easier for an indie game to make back its budget of lets say 50k. They could potentially just crowdfund it with the right waifu baiting. Indie films often require twice as much to have a production that looks semi professional and then you gotta spend more money to enter festivals for months or years and maybe hope that it gets pick up by a distributor. And then you are not guaranteed to break even.

regardless, /tv/ like the rest of 4chan doesn't give a crap about piracy regardless
>>
>>389323306
Multiple reasons. Nintendo tends to have weaker security that's easier to circumvent. Nintendo's hardware is typically weaker, which makes it easier to emulate eventually. Nintendo platforms tend to have libraries made up of majority exclusives, whereas Sony/Xbox tends to be majority multiplats that are also on PC anyway. In the case of Xbone, there's literally zero exclusives.
>>
>>389323512
He's pointing out that you don't deserve to make decisions or bitch about a market you don't participate in. Most people don't pirate games, so most people have a hand in deciding what the market creates.
>>
>>389319050
Because fucks like you keep making bait posts like this to try and push some stupid narrative, god knows what it is.
>>
>>389327958
>>389323401
/a/ and /m/ have buyfags, /a/ buys chinese dolls and /m/ has been buying discotek releases of obscure shows they been licensing

they still don't sperg out and go all moralfag on everyone else. I think its because /v/ tends to develop this pathetic loyalty to corporation, studios and even developers.
>>
>>389327689
>Games studios still make more profit.
Maybe overall but you can't tell me it's anywhere near as evenly distributed as that of less niche-oriented mediums.
You don't hear of film studios ending up like Looking Glass, do you? You don't hear about film companies forcing sequels to be radically different because they can barely turn a profit and have to expand their audience appeal just to stay afloat. You don't hear about film studios having to resort to crowdfunding just to make their product even remotely possible.
You do hear about this happening with musicians, but in those cases it's always of their own volition rather than necessity.
>>
>>389327689
Difference is most normies watch just about anything Hollywood shits out, but are only willing to buy the latest Call of Duty or Final Fantasy game.
>>
>>389326437
Literally this. Not to mention the amount of effort it takes to create video games.

>Movie
>Takes maybe 1 year maximum to film and edit
>Will be watched in theaters by people
>Will inevitably make more money when it's released on home video
>Will make even more money when the rights to air it on TV and Netflix are sold

>Music
>Takes maybe a few months maximum to record and edit
>Will be played on radio stations all across the world
>Will get monetization from being uploaded to YouTube
>Will get paid to be used on Spotify and for use in other media

>Vidya
>Can easily take years just to create/modify its engine, and that's not even including music, voice acting, sprites, etc
>Its entire revenue depends on people buying the game and playing it at home, and piracy cuts into any potential profits the game may make
>There are no public venues/events that allows people to play video games, and even if there were they wouldn't make much of a profit (Compare seeing a movie for 2 hours to spending 10 hours beating a game)
>>
>>389328857
>There are no public venues/events that allows people to play video games
>what are arcades
>what are internet cafes
>>
>>389329237
Things that are extinct in the west.
>>
>>389319184
A bit off-topic, but if people are able to create emulators for the GameCube/Wii and the Wii U, why is N64 emulation still trash? I'm not sure how good emulation on the GameCube/Wii and Wii U is, but it seems better than on the N64, from what I've seen and heard.
>>
It takes a supreme amount of effort to make a video game, especially if you make the engine from scratch. I try to give the developers a cut of their work when the game goes on sale, but if that day never comes, then I sometimes will just pirate it. No one should reasonably need to spend over $30 for a game that came out 2+ years ago.
>>
>>389319050
Because gamers have principles and gamers are supposed to be a community while all others are just consumers. No one really gives a shit if you watch TV or whatever os you use.
>>
>>389319050
>Why haven't you pirated x console yet?
>Buying games
Yeah, sure it's the legit costumers attacking the poor pirates that dinduffin for no reason.
>>
>>389329289
Due to western publishers prioritizing narrative over pure gameplay.
I kinda feel like Japanese action games like God Hand and DMC could've worked as arcade games.
>>
>$70 price-tag for a game that will most likely be awful

Honestly, if I pirate a game and enjoy it, I will usually buy it during a steam sale afterwards. I also usually wait like 1-2 years minimum before getting around to a game because my PC used to be trash, so it's not like I'd buy it at release price anyway

The problem is that you need to pay highly specialized staff a fair amount of money to get work done on games, and often certain parts will be completely scrapped or need to be reworked. I imagine working in the video game design industry, in any role, is probably really taxing and the staff are probably underpaid if you were to look at the hours they put into development.

tldr; I think the profitability of most games is vastly overestimated aside from shitty AAA games that no one with half a brain would want to play
>>
I guess that buying a physical game and taking it to your friends' house is theft too
>>
>>389319479
i see this with the new mario + rabbid game. it might be good i don't know but there has to be a reason they keep making the same threads over and over again "WOW! I didn't expect this game to be so good!" among other repetitive topics that do nothing but reaffirm that the game is good
>>
>>389327207
>and it killed the chances of Ace Attorney Investigations 2 getting released over here.
No, what killed AAI2 was Capcom being in their unrealistic expectations phase back then. This was the same company that wanted 2 million sales for Sengoku Basara 3.
>>
>>389319050
>piracy thread
>some guy just starts posting magnet links

moral fags hate you but I don't anon
>>
>>389319050
Because of what is underlying. See, i have no problems with a dude pirating his games because HE FEELS like it. Where i have a problem is kids pirating their games BECAUSE THEY HAVE TO DO IT, because they have no job, no income, and their parents don't want to buy them games.

And since /v/ is full of kids : they don't pirate because they have the choice, no, they pirate because they DON'T have the choice. In the end what makes me mad isn't pirating, it's kids acting like they chose to pirate when in reality they just don't have the choice.

Saged.
>>
>>389329379
The Gamecube (and in turn the Wii & Wii U) is based on well-documented, well-known hardware (PowerPC CPU and 2nd gen Radeon GPU). Whereas the N64's hardware was highly customized, undocumented garbage that no one else really used for anything.
>>
>>389330740
So it isn't likely that anyone will ever make a good N64 emulator? Out of curiosity, if Nintendo ever decides to make an N64 Classic, is it possible that people could try to reverse engineer the emulator in that and adapt it for PC?
>>
>>389329237
>what are arcades
No one's gonna stay at an arcade for 10 hours to beat one game.

>what are internet cafes
Literally no civilized countries today use them.
>>
>>389319158
This pretty much sums it up
>>
>>389319738
>How do you even pirate toys?
3d printing or getting the shitty chinese ripoff version
Thread posts: 84
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.