[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did the Silent Hill franchise have to die? ;_;

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 194
Thread images: 31

File: Ito_pyramidhead_20.jpg (517KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
Ito_pyramidhead_20.jpg
517KB, 960x640px
Why did the Silent Hill franchise have to die?

;_;
>>
>>389298559
Because nobody has gotten it right since 3.
>>
>>389298559
To every thing must come an end.
>>
File: 6a8.jpg (46KB, 455x600px) Image search: [Google]
6a8.jpg
46KB, 455x600px
It deserved to die
The first 3 main games were good
The 4th one was good/ ok for some ppl
Origins was a hit or miss for fans (mostly a miss for hardcore fans)
Silent Hill 5 had a mediocre setting with a bad story
Shattered Memories was a cool alt. universe for the first game
Then Book of Memories and Downpour, they were absolute shit (maybe not downpour, but it was a mediocre game and a bad SH game)
Not to mention the bad/dissapointing movies that came out
And /v/ faggots can argue all they want but I'm skeptical that Kojimbo could have made a great SH game as the first 4 were. But I bet it would have been a good inspired SH game with all the cryptic shit on it

It should stay dead
Don't even try to mention the HD remaster
>>
>>389298559
Okay so what is that pyramid on Pyramid Head's head supposed to be? Is it an actual object used for something, or is it simply just a pyramid helmet somebody made and he wore?
>>
>>389301737
It looks like the hoods the executioners in the town wore
>>
>>389300794
>Then Book of Memories and Downpour
Playing Book of Memories was like watching someone dig up your dead dog just so they can molest it. It was absolutely appalling. I love the idea of handheld dungeon crawlers, but why did they have to use Silent Hill?
>>
>>389302196
I don't know
It could have been a great spin off if they used anything that made SH scary
But no, they fucked it up bad and it still hurts
>>
What other horror franchise has survived besides RE?
>>
>>389302686
Fatal Frame. it's irrelevant, but it's still getting new titles.
>>
>>389298559
Cause Konami never cared, check Visual Novel.
Cause "Team Silent" never was real, game designer left after first game, character creator after second.
Cause Akira was a producer, who didn't care about games, saying Homecoming was a first game what starts in other town.
>>
>>389300794
This. It and the fans deserves rest after it being raped so fucking hard for this long. Horror serializations will always deteriorate.
>>
>>389302686
Alone in the dark :^)
http://store.steampowered.com/app/275060/Alone_in_the_Dark_Illumination/
>>
File: Pyramid_Head.jpg (39KB, 422x316px) Image search: [Google]
Pyramid_Head.jpg
39KB, 422x316px
>>389301737
It is all symbolism. James actually saw this painting when he went to Silent Hill and everything was normal. According to the towns past they had executioners that wore red hoods. The monster is meant to torment James for what he has done. I think the helmet is also meant to symbolize his own psyche weighing his mind down.

Some lore fags probably can help you a lot more with this but it is something along these lines. He also has a tongue that he can stick out from a hole on the helmet.
>>
File: 1501454147182.png (35KB, 649x446px) Image search: [Google]
1501454147182.png
35KB, 649x446px
Unfortunately this doesn't really mean anything with the rights being at konami and the fact that Masahiro Ito and Akira Yamaoka were just a small part of team silent.
>>
File: 1492266839266.png (25KB, 643x308px) Image search: [Google]
1492266839266.png
25KB, 643x308px
>>389303492
There's also this faggot
>>
>>389301737
He represents James's guilt for killing people. At the end James overcome that feeling and they kills themselves.
>>
>>389303492
Ito is hack, who wrote Born from the Wish, which ruins SH2 story, and SH3, where good girl Heather saves the world from evil cult and terrible Claudia.

Takayoshi Sato created James and PH.
>>
>>389303492
>>389303624
I wonder how Ito feels about how hard they have shitted on this series after disbanding the team. I would love to ask him several questions on his thoughts. The western ones were so awful.
>>
File: 1503255613631s.jpg (2KB, 105x125px) Image search: [Google]
1503255613631s.jpg
2KB, 105x125px
>>389303376
I dont remember a tongue thing, what game did this happen in?
>>
File: kx93hnuuDAg.jpg (48KB, 604x402px) Image search: [Google]
kx93hnuuDAg.jpg
48KB, 604x402px
Don't worry, he'll save the horror genre!

Just kidding, he's too busy making anime inFamous with waifus.
>>
>>389303376
Man I need to replay 1 and 2 again because it's been years...I'm talking since they released. I don't even wanna know how many years that is.

I do remember getting PH's sword, and how it made you walk really fucking slow but it was a blast to use. Funny how that sticks out for me but not a whole lot of other stuff does. Been a long time though.
>>
>>389298559
it died long ago when Konami decided to disband Team Silent and let western developers make the games
>>
>>389304417
>Funny how that sticks out for me but not a whole lot of other stuff does.
That's the best part. I wish I could experience it again for the first time
>>
>>389304073
>who wrote Born from the Wish, which ruins SH2 story

How?
>>
File: 1473388539110.jpg (10KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
1473388539110.jpg
10KB, 259x194px
>>389304073
Wtf are you talking about dude
>>
>>389304248
>what game did this happen in?
>(You)
>>
>>389304810
Cause Maria being real person and thinking about escaping from town is ridiculous, as if PH himself would have same thoughts.

She was created by town for James only.

>>389304875
What, you can't google name or something?
>>
Is the only good way other than PS2 to play old SH games PC?
>>
>>389303376
Pyramid Head didn't stick out his tongue
The whole concept of his and the monsters was that James's conscience is the source of what Silent Hill's inhabitants represent
The nurses and mannequins are his repressed libido, Pyramid Head is his desire to be punished for what he has done to Mary
on the other hand they represent the murders he committed - after he kills the fat guy, another Pyramid Head appears later in the game
At the moment when James realises their purpose and depending on the ending he either forgives or kills himself, thus why the Pyramid Heads commit suicide by impaling their heads with their own spears, because they no longer serve their purpose
>>389304417
as for the sword, I read somewhere that it represent the weight of James's conscience, that's why it is hard to him to carry
>>
File: -.png (93KB, 407x268px) Image search: [Google]
-.png
93KB, 407x268px
>>389305162
Just wait for the SH anon to post that image with all the info you need
>>
>>389305084
Hiroyuki Owaku wrote all the stories from 1-3 except for 1 where he was only co-writer.
Ito was creature designer
Sato was doing the CGI
I also looked and can't find who the writer for Born from a Wish is
>>
>>389305302
ok I wait :))))
I've been playin some RE games and now I wanna go get spooped in SH
>>
>>389305162
>>389305520

The guide is just the pcgamingwiki in a picture. Go there and all is there. Here's the pastebin with downloads:https://pastebin.com/6B3qZs4S
>>
>>389305857
god bless your gentle soul
wow I've never really pirated a game before but it's konami's fault for fucking up the HD collection
>>
>>389305084
>Cause Maria being real person and thinking about escaping from town is ridiculous

She was made to look and act like a real person. This is very different from Pyramid Head. Do you not remember Lisa or did you never play the first game?
>>
>>389305374
Sato did create alone all CGI, even bloopers for first game. He was helping a lot to write second and judging by his interviews and SH3's weak story, i think he is responsible for SH2's story.

I did confuse Owaku and Ito though, sorry.
>>
>>389306262

Unless you're buying discs on ebay what else are ya gonna do?
>>
>>389305162
emulation
>>
>>389305162
PC is the best version, i believe modders have even fixed the fog so it looks like the PS2 version now.
>>
>>389306490
Lisa was nothing like Maria.

Maria was made to act like perfect woman for James's dark desires and die, just to make him suffer.
>>
>>389304135
You could probably ask him on twitter. He responds pretty often
>>
>>389305262
>Pyramid Head didn't stick out his tongue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7PYaZVl8KQ
>>
>>389305374
>I also looked and can't find who the writer for Born from a Wish is

Owaku.
>>
>>389307123
Oh what the fuck that's terrifying
>>
>>389306780
You are the only one I've ever seen that says born from a wish ruins the story. I've been following some people who play these games and often do story reviews on the game and not one of them says what you say. You sound like you are just hating on it to hate.
>>
File: 1486925600221.png (126KB, 210x339px) Image search: [Google]
1486925600221.png
126KB, 210x339px
>>389307123
what the actual fuck. how have i never noticed this before
>>
>>389307576
>hating on it to hate

Probably those same people sucking sh3's and room's story, while completely hating Shattered Memories.

I told you why i hate BftW, it's ridiculous for imaginary woman having her own adventures in imaginary town, fighting imaginary monsters. If that story was created by western studio, as add-on to HD collection, those same people would lose their shit, while screaming about ruining canon.
>>
During 1, when do you find Kaufman to get Good+? Played recently and did everything but that. Forgot where and when to go.
>>
>>389308270
SH 3 and 4 are good. Shattered Memories is like the least hated western developed SH game by the majority. You have no clue what you are talking about.
>>
>>389308347
in after sewers area, you need visit couple bar, some store and motel to find keys, code and bike.
>>
>>389307123
I was proved wrong
On my defense, he never grabbed me like that, always tried to slash me
>>
File: 1501950669711.jpg (39KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1501950669711.jpg
39KB, 500x500px
>>389307123
What the fuck?
How?
This fucking game I swear
>>
>>389308557
right before boat right?
>>
>>389308549
>least hated western developed SH game by the majority
Nah, i think it's homecoming.

Only good things about sh3 are music and graphics.

Only good things about the room are music, one monster design and one room (not the room).

Stories in those games sucks.
>>
>>389309352
No, before everything turns into nightmare town. Boat is little later than that.
>>
>>389309480
Yeah screw off troll. Awful bait
>>
File: 1499139538236.jpg (70KB, 640x592px) Image search: [Google]
1499139538236.jpg
70KB, 640x592px
>>389309480
>Stories in those games sucks.
Ok buddy
Remember! it's your opinion though
An opinion which I strongly disagree with
And I bet you also like sucking cocks
>>
>>389309617
Keep believing and asking why SH series is dead.

>>389309709
"Blonde babe with katana saves the world from evil, mad cult and their evil, evil god, cause they killed her poor dad"

"Crazy maniac kills bunch of nobodies, just to be with his imaginary mother, THE ROOM"

Quality of those makes me think cock is actually better in this situation, thank you.
>>
>>389310178
gee it's like simplifying a plot into a single sentence makes it look worse or something

Planescape Torment
>man with amnesia finds memories
>>
>>389310581
Planescape Torment
>man with amnesia finds memories

So what? That's have possibilities, it may be interesting.

You can't add shit to mine short versions to make it any better. It's stupid at the core.
>>
>>389310768
At least in SH3s defense there's more to it than a random blonde and her dead dad. It's Cheryl from the first game having her past with Silent Hill and Alyssa come back.

4 was just nice for being sort of connected to Silent Hill instead of taking place there, Kurt Cobain wasn't a great villain really. The ghosts were a nice idea since you had to choose a select few to pin down, but they didn't have enough interesting ghosts.
>>
File: window-ghost.jpg (85KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
window-ghost.jpg
85KB, 1600x900px
was nobody looking forward to PT?
ill admit im not very familiar with the other silent hill games but the pt game had a great sense of atmosphere i was really looking forward to it. but i get the feeling that it didnt have much in common with any other silent hill games

what was /v/'s feeling about it when the demo came out?
>>
The problem is that silent hill itself as a setting is played out. It's disgusting and creepy yeah but no longer shocking and surprising.

Needs a change of setting.
>>
>>389311421
I mean a lot of the atmosphere came from the feeling of isolation in a ghost town. I do like the differences between the otherworlds between Harry/Heather and James though, with Harry/Heathers' being more bloody and rusty and James' being very decayed. Heathers' otherworld sections probably had the most intense visuals, like the pulsing hallway in the hospital or the one room in the church with the weird crawling stains on the walls.

They tried to do something different with that in Downpour but the otherworld sections just sucked ass in that game. Sucks.
>>
>>389311335
A lot of people were hyped.

But now we're left not knowing what any of the actual game would have played like.
>>
>>389311158
Heather isn't completely Cheryl. Even Harry didn't believe that. Plus Cheryl was 7, so she's hardly a character anyway.
Heather isn't completely Alessa, cause she didn't have 7 years of rotting, bleeding hell.

I don't feel like game trying to explore any of these.

>>389311421
And worst of this every SH could be different, having each own face, while devs wanted to copy same corridors with broken doors with fog in grey colors.
SM changed that by turning it into frozen hell, Downpour tried to make it rainy (bad execution though). Homecoming could be the red hell, but they used it only in location.
>>
>>389299075
This. Also the series only chance of salvation was PT and its been killed off so yeah.
>>
>>389302921
Fatal Frame was never popular but the games have been consistently good. Well, 4 was mediocre but the rest are good.
>>
>>389311335
Well long time fan here of 1-4, aka the only games that matter in the series. At least for the most part. I mean I never played any after 4 and really don't want to because it will taint the series for me playing any of the not team silent games.

The thing with PT is that a lot of people had a lot of hope. Silent Hill for the first time in a long time was going to be developed by the Japanese again. It was going to be Kojima, a very well respected and loved Japanese developer who made the MGS series such a massive success. With some help from Del Toro who while not proven in video games would have likely contributed to some monster designs and other elements to the game. Which is fine. Wasn't like he would do much worst than what the western developers did. Then the old composer who worked on almost the entire series was supposedly coming back to. Who is essentially seen as instrumental to the series success.

Its not that we knew for sure it would be what we wanted. Its that PT and Kojima was giving us hope we hadn't had in a very long time. Whether the game even followed through with some of the story from the beloved games didn't even really matter either. What mattered most was hope. I don't know how the full game would have been like but I wouldn't be surprised if it was way better than what we have been getting for over 10 years since Konami disbanded the team. And hell it had potential to be the GOAT horror.

From what I saw of PT I liked it. Too bad it wasn't given the chance to prove itself with a full game.
>>
>>389311930
i was so disappointed. the subtle parts of the demo were what sold it to me. like the radio announcer with the daemon-like otherworld echo that changes some of the words the announcer says to a more sinister message. i didnt even notice it till like my 5th play through and i thought i was imagining shit fucking creeped me out. had to check online that it wasnt just me who was hearing it.
actually gutted that it never got made. i feel like we missed out on something potentially really special
>>
>>389311964
>And worst of this every SH could be different, having each own face, while devs wanted to copy same corridors with broken doors with fog in grey colors.
This. But how will silent hill fans accept a game that while having the same dna changes tha design that much?
>SM changed that by turning it into frozen hell
That was pretty cool idea but bad execution
>>
File: 1484271465227.jpg (525KB, 806x952px) Image search: [Google]
1484271465227.jpg
525KB, 806x952px
>>389312696
Especially hearing all the people who were getting in on the project, like Junji Ito.

We could have had a Junji Ito styled game.
>>
>>389312632
>Whether the game even followed through with some of the story from the beloved games didn't even really matter either.
i agree it seemed to me at least that they were going for something a bit new instead of trying to replicate the classic games, which would probably have ended up being a fucking mess.
i actually ended up not buying a ps4 because this got cancelled. i dont even particularly like horror games but i felt this one was going to be something special.
will probably get a sp4 soon but honestly i dont see any games that i feel are worth getting a current gen console for. maybe im just growing out of it who knows
>>
>>389312704
>But how will silent hill fans accept a game

Fuck fans, the moment devs starting to be concern about fan's feelings instead of creating good game everything turns to shit.

SH2 didn't care about fans, it created a new story without any connection to first game, changed the rules of the town and it's great. (well, except gamedesign sucks, cause Toyma left and they weren't lucky with new guy)
>>
>>389306761
PC version of SH2 still lacks soft shadows and the sound quality is worse. Other than that it's better in all other regards. I'm not sure why someone hasn't fixed the audio. I'd imagine that'd be easy to rip from the PS2 version, but I guess I don't really know.
>>
>>389311421
It wasn't played out at all. It had plenty of potential for different variations and depictions with further sequels that never got realized because the non TS devs had no fucking clue what they were doing. Hell even SH4 was a huge departure so I have no clue why you are saying it was played out.

3 games, only 1 every really letting you explore the town the most while 2 a little less so but still has exploration. 3 had no exploration. Only later in the game and very little at that. There was nothing played out about the setting at all.
>>
As a Castlevania fan, I would think people who liked the series would be happy to see that it's corpse wouldn't be manipulated by talentless hacks again. P.T could have been something but now it's nothing so if the series ever came back, it would be nothing but garbage produced by idiots again.

If you really REALLY like something. You should let it go
>>
>>389313165
ah man i didnt even hear about this. fuck me this is just getting worse and worse
>>
>>389311335
PT's one of the best things I've played. Had incredible designs and a very unnerving atmosphere due to its simplistic level design that subtlety changes. I'll never forgive Konami for cancelling Silent Hills. Worst game cancellation I'll ever experience in my life.
>>
>>389313285
>but i felt this one was going to be something special.

Well lets see:
>FOX engine
>kojima
>del toro
>yamoaka for music
>japan finally making a silent hill game again
>no more shitty american or other developers who have no fucking clue about the franchise beyond memes like muh psychology or muh epin buff pyramid head dude XD
>no goddamn tom hulett
>a ton of genuine hype thanks to all of the above
>a demo that at least proved Kojima could do horror

But yeah Konami shit it all up for everybody.
>>
File: RichardGhost.gif (3MB, 267x335px) Image search: [Google]
RichardGhost.gif
3MB, 267x335px
Silent Hill 4 is fucking underrated. It is easily the scariest, has the best soundtrack, and the 2nd best story in the series. It has a lot of problems with gameplay and game design but I honestly think for some reason they made the game as unpleasant as they possibly could in every regard. SH4 was the most thoroughly dreadful and grueling experience I've ever loved.
>>
>>389313471
If it's any consolation, Kojima and Ito apparently still stay in touch.

So there's plenty of rumors of him getting involved with Death Stranding in some way.
>>
>>389313765
Such gem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiDz69EqlFk
>>
>>389313942
I didn't say it was perfect and the burping still baffles me but that doesn't change the other great stuff in the game that fans of 1-3 don't even look into because it has such a bad reputation.
>>
>>389312696
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9KYjtv8KK0
>>
>>389313931
yeah. i dont know how i feel about this death stranding tbqh. guess ill have to just wait and see
>>
>>389314028
Like what? Limited inventory? Need to replay whole game with stupid npc? Black and white story? Puzzles, what make you go back and forth into the hole again and again? Immortal enemies, what don't let you to explore properly? Ghosts, what spawns near bed and may kill you during waking up animation?
>>
File: Silent Hill 4_Sunderland.jpg (40KB, 800x559px) Image search: [Google]
Silent Hill 4_Sunderland.jpg
40KB, 800x559px
>>389314262
>>
>>389314645
You can't reason with SH4 contrarians. Just let them be.
>>
>>389314356
Seeing more gameplay than none at all would probably help.
>>
>>389314925
I don't want them to accept my view. I want to understand reason for their love.
>>
File: SH PC Guide 3-2017 update.png (2MB, 1300x4835px) Image search: [Google]
SH PC Guide 3-2017 update.png
2MB, 1300x4835px
>TWO SH threads up at once
>Newfags blown away by the good ol' PH's tongue "myth"
We living a new golden age or something? Not that I complain.

Let's repost the SH PC Guide + DL links:

SH1 NTSC DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!bVUCTJzD!PmnPw4S7fWGyvTjw9S0-RQdk7rRp2BQNuXJqRkZCZvk

SH2 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!rFcj1SIJ!47JH9M4OrzmQKuaiJ6IqUgmgz_SVNtk4LIYNSa-D-_8

SH2 torrent:
https://mega.nz/#!bYcEnbhC!rYnhvcJiRC46T6yExS0Y61JHZ-5N3WxFvfZMI8xbyhE

SH3 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!2JNkgJ7b!nfPf5cIs6I5K-sdAs7RcnHvGA2hAvIGdpQuIoBhF3iE

SH3 torrent:
https://mega.nz/#!GVVGRLpD!SyklVbuLIkc38ZYji5QL3sWHKtHt9-Bto700My8pH7c

SH4 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!Us1XTaII!cglH0dZOaH5yQEm4cnEh3eyUz4bIf6rACQqcVzkb4Hc

Mount the ISOs of 2 & 3, and then run their installers like always.
The SH1 is a PS1 rip that you gotta emulate.
The "sh2proxy" is a all-in-one fix, that works as a no-cd crack as well. It is included in the pack.
If you use the NEW fix mentioned in the guide, you can use the sh2proxy's EXE as the no-cd crack!

In case you experience issues saving the game / not being able to edit the disp.ini, make sure the files aren't set to "Read Only", and run the game as Administrator.
If SH2 gets stuck in a black screen upon launch, close it and re-start it again.
If SH3 runs like shit even on a strong PC, check and lower the Rendering Resolution setting.

SH2-4 do not support Xinput gamepads. Either use Xpadder, a DirectInput pad, or just play with KB+M.
You can now see some decent emulator settings for SH1 as well in the guide. If the image of the game does NOT fill your entire screen in fullscreen mode, check your plugin AND GPU control panel's image scaling settings!
Also give the new PGXP emulator a shot for a lot less wobbly PS1 graphics.

>Protips
-Play in the release order.
-Never play below Normal difficulty.
-Replaying them all is recommended.
-Turn down the ingame Brightness setting,
-Don't try to kill everything that moves, especially outdoors.
-Turning OFF the flashlight can really help.
>>
File: 1499450912848.png (289KB, 528x480px) Image search: [Google]
1499450912848.png
289KB, 528x480px
>>389315483
Ah yes
Good ol' SH anon
>>
>>389315483
>Never play below Normal difficulty.

Yeah, enjoy hitting one monster with pipe again and again and again.
>>
>>389315483

Thanks for this. My HD got wiped and lost all the guides including my psd file with all the edits.
>>
File: Gladiator-2000-Russell-Crowe-35.jpg (69KB, 777x559px) Image search: [Google]
Gladiator-2000-Russell-Crowe-35.jpg
69KB, 777x559px
>>389315792
>>
>failed to solve the piano puzzle by myself
off to a great fucking start i am
>>
>>389298559
>Why did the Silent Hill franchise have to die?
Konami makes more money on Yu-gi-oh alone at this point than the series ever did.

It doesn't help that the writers couldn't keep their story straight throughout the series on what Silent Hill was supposed to actually be. The movies only exacerbated this problem.
>>
>>389316130
That's one of the hardest senpai
>>
File: 1398142446426.gif (124KB, 590x333px) Image search: [Google]
1398142446426.gif
124KB, 590x333px
>>389316130
Drop it
You are gonna flip a tit at the valves puzzle
>>
because people can't stop sucking SH2 dick and treat 2 as the entire silent hill
>>
>>389316130
It's not very clear on which bird is which key. Others puzzles are easier though.
>>
>>389316421
that is a problem but it's far from being the reason the series died. You could ape SH2 and make a great game, every western SH is complete ass regardless of ripping off SH2
>>
>>389316571
problem with western SH is that their concept of horror is different, from being psychological and inspired from western novels, the western game is just jump scares and gore-ish
>>
File: sh3 Heather smug.jpg (287KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
sh3 Heather smug.jpg
287KB, 1920x1080px
>>389315792
Sounds like someone "enjoys" being literally invincible and having all the puzzles literally spell out the solutions for you. Or not exist at all.

>>389315932
yer welcome bruh! Hope you've learned the lesson about the importance of backups.
>>
>>389316875
Are you saying SH had good mechanic, so higher difficulty makes experience more interesting instead of tedious? Maybe if you could play games without killing monsters at all, that would be true, but that's not a case.

Also, puzzles. I think people remember those games as psychological horror games, how are puzzles relevant in that description? Puzzles can go fuck themselves.
>>
>>389317662
you are clearly a fucking moron trying to justify his incompetence. Playing on hard combat is pointless but easy removes all tension from enemies and playing with easy puzzles utterly ruins the puzzles (and SH actually has really great puzzles). I bet you play your games with a fucking walkthrough to make sure you always know exactly what to do you faggot.
>>
>>389317662
>Are you saying SH had good mechanic, so higher difficulty makes experience more interesting instead of tedious?
Yes. More things to deal with, plus puzzles and enemies aren't literally anemic towards you,

>Maybe if you could play games without killing monsters at all, that would be true, but that's not a case.
It is almost the case though. Some good 90+ % of all fighting in SH1-4 can be totally skipped.

>Puzzles can go fuck themselves.
being ADHD and literally worse gamer than the past's 10-yearolds isn't exactly a thing to be proud of.

Puzzles are a major thing in survival-horror games, and in SH they tend to be directly tied to the plot and lore.
>>
>>389317942
>need to hit monster 25 times instead of 5 makes game scarier.

Ok

>Silent Hill games are about puzzles, you can't fully relate to character without solving some silly unrelated to the story puzzle. Puzzles are horrific

Oh, ok i see.

>good horror game needs worst control or it won't be scary

Well, you didn't say that, but i think you believe in that as well.
>>
File: sh1_strafe2.webm (2MB, 854x480px) Image search: [Google]
sh1_strafe2.webm
2MB, 854x480px
>>389318558
Making enemies more deadly, or even more AWARE of your existence, does make them more dangerous and thus deadly. Meaning you want to avoid fighting them.
ALL the puzzles in SH are always story / lore related. And they're far from silly.
The controls are fucking fine. Even 12 year old girls can master them in fifteen minutes.
>>
>>389318558
This made me laugh. I agree, the storys were amazing. The puzzles amazing in 2 and 3. But having to wack an enemy all those times and then step on them is retarded as fuck.
>>
>>389318436
>Some good 90+ % of all fighting in SH1-4 can be totally skipped.
Except rest 10% are boss'es and they turns into damage sponge, so you need to loot everything or you need kill them with pipes, while proper dodging is impossible in those games, (not horrific enough, right)

>Puzzles are a major thing in survival-horror games

Are puzzles about survival or horror?

>SH they tend to be directly tied to the plot and lore.

Oh, let's name all those puzzles.
>>
>>389319427
The puzzles were the best in 1 tho
>>
>>389319440
>so you need to loot everything or you need kill them with pipes
If you suck at exploration so much that you're left with only the very first melee weapon in most of these games... you pretty much deserve that fate. It's still a far-cry from the brutality of say, Resident Evils, where you may be left with nothing but an anemic Knife to use against giant zombie mutants.

>while proper dodging is impossible in those games
it's piss easy. Just turn off the flashlight, and run.

>Are puzzles about survival or horror?
Both. They also add to the adventure-game feel and style the genre was originally all about, but that's clearly something the Outlast chugging nugamers don't even understand or know of anymore.

>Oh, let's name all those puzzles.
Why?
>>
File: SH2CoinPuzzleSlots.png (451KB, 795x483px) Image search: [Google]
SH2CoinPuzzleSlots.png
451KB, 795x483px
>>389319378
>ALL the puzzles in SH are always story / lore related.

Tell me about this one.
>>
>>389319798
Do you seriously need THAT one to be spoonfed to you? Just open up the bible.
>>
>>389319775
>higher difficulty makes experience
>Yes. More things to deal with
>it's piss easy. Just turn off the flashlight, and run.

I hope it wasn't you or it makes it too easy. Just i like it.

>Both
How again? Are you afraid of puzzles? Or they make it harder to survive?

>Why?
Just to prove your point.

>>389319864
>bible is lore of SH2
No, it's not.
>>
>>389320418
>I hope it wasn't you or it makes it too easy. Just i like it.
is that even English?

>How again?
Puzzles work as milestones and short breathers from what would otherwise be very repetitive and basic gameplay. They help limit parts of the game world from the player, helping devs to pace the experience and guide player through certain areas in the order they want.

And like said, they can also work as non-verbal story / lore -telling devices too. Especially in RE1 / REmake and all Silent Hills.

>Just to prove your point.
I don't consider it worth my time and effort when a thick-skulled pricks like you cannot even see the most basic level symbolism between the story of Adam & Eve and SH2's main plot.
>>
>>389320418
Are you seriously arguing against puzzles in a survival horror game? Those are a solid tradition in the genre. What, did you feel mentally emasculated after having to look up a guide to the piano puzzle? If you don't want to play games with puzzles don't play games from the genre that are known for their puzzles. Fucking brainlets.
>oh no the game is making me use the old bean again. God I wish I didn't fail sophomore year
>>
>>389298559
There's not much you could do with the series after silent hill 3. The idea of one town with unknown demon-like creatures loses it mysterious vibe with each new installment, and future games have shown that, even when SH4 tried to do something a little bit original.
>>
>>389321701
Sounds like Silent Hill just needs a reboot, or the Final Fantasy treatment.
>>
>>389321163
>Are you seriously arguing against puzzles in a survival horror game
Yes, cause they aren't needed for good survival-horror game.
>Those are a solid tradition in the genre
>also good tradition about grey corridors with mostly broken doors
>another good tradition about finding a key in empty room to open another empty room with another key
>don't forget amazing tradition about bad controls

Probably, there is something in bible about that as well.
>>
>>389298559
Don't worry, OP. We have The Evil Within 2 coming this October.
>>
>>389321125
>is that even English?
Yeah, it is.

>short breathers from what would otherwise be very repetitive and basic gameplay
> good survival-horror is boring and impossible without filler

> can also work as non-verbal story / lore -telling devices
>>389319798

>I don't consider it worth my time and effort when a thick-skulled pricks like you cannot even see the most basic level symbolism between the story of Adam & Eve and SH2's main plot.

Wait, does that even make sense?
>>
>>389322567
Survival-horror gameplay in its oldest, most pureblood form is a direct derivation from the old (point & click) adventure games, with the addition of real-time movement AND combat. This is why exploring the surroundings and mapping your area are often essential parts in these games, together with puzzles and key hunting that both guide and stop you on your tracks. None of it is "filler", as without all that you'd be left with nothing but a sub-par shooter or a walking simulator.

>he still can't see the blatant symbolism
I know this' be b8, but seriously now m8...
>>
>>389322039
Boy you're cheesin if you think you're finding keys in any of these games in mostly empty rooms.
>bad controls
I don't get this meme. Why can't people just understand tank controls. Anything else would be gross as fuck with the great camera angles.
What kind of games do kids play these days? Whatever they are you should go find a thread about them and stay there
>>
>>389313942
I will never get how everybody involved in the development of the game actually thought these burping monstrosities was a good idea. Did not one of these people at least think to say maybe we shouldn't be including this hilarious shit in our horror game? They took one of the top monster designs they made in this game and just completely shitted on it with sound alone.
>>
>>389314645
He was basically saying much if not all of that was intentional. Did you not read his op? I actually agree with him at least for some of the game. It is very obvious they wanted the game to be somewhat difficult. They wanted you to WANT to constantly go back to the room for the first half of the game. The later half of the game then makes going back to your room scary because your health will no longer heal thanks to haunting. It is one of those games where you won't ever really see things like what it did anymore because these days everybody needs things to be told to them since they want easy games. A game like SH4 would absolutely frustrate newer players with difficulty.
>>
File: sh2 flashlight apartments PC.gif (4MB, 660x371px) Image search: [Google]
sh2 flashlight apartments PC.gif
4MB, 660x371px
>>389323662
>Why can't people just understand tank controls
being born in the year 2000 means their first console was most likely Xbox360, which means they have never experienced any other type of controls than the now "standardized" Gow/AssCreed/CoD schemes.

In other words, to these people, learning and mastering game controls is a totally foreign concept, leading to quick frustration when you suddenly don't do half of the moves with "Triggers". Heck, more and more people are even unwilling to play anything that's NOT in first-person these days!
>>
>>389323314
>oldest, most pureblood form

What is evolution?

> sub-par shooter
Fuck this part too

> walking simulator.
THIS is part why people care about game, talk about. Fucking core. Devs must work on improving that, make it greater, instead of working on improving filler and making that central part something undeveloped.

>>389323662
> finding keys in any of these games in mostly empty rooms.
There are many examples of that.

>Why can't people just understand tank controls
>Why people can't just life in cavern, why do they want nice apartment in the city
It's not what we can't understand those controls, It's the fact games CAN do better.

>>389323774
I feel, at this point only least talented and ambitious people stayed in TS, so they didn't have enough experience or taste to make it right. Jaguar-dogs and monkey people sucks as well, especially if you compare it to flying thing from SH3.
>>
Arguing with plebs fucking sucks why do I waste my time doing this
>>
>>389324504
>What is evolution?
Something that stopped happening with games in 2005-2007, when every single genre was streamlined into a shooter.

>Fuck this part too
Not following you.

>THIS is part why people care about game, talk about.
walking? No.

>There are many examples of that.
such as? And are they the majority of everything found in these games? I'd say no.

>It's not what we can't understand those controls, It's the fact games CAN do better.
Like how?
or are you implying that every single game should just play exactly the same, just because you've gotten used to one type of gameplay these days?

>I feel, at this point only least talented and ambitious people stayed in TS,
SH3 and 4 were being developed simultaneously, with TS being split into "A" and "B" teams. There was obviously a lot of co-operation between the two. There's been some rumors that SH4 would've started facing some pressure from the higher ups, leading to rushed release (and thus using some blatant stock library effects and shit), which doesn't really surprise me seeing how the very next year, TS was disbanded by Konami.
>>
>>389317662
>I don't want to fight monsters, it's tedious
>I don't want to solve puzzles either, they don't belong to Silent Hill games because I say so
How about you watch a movie then? Video games are clearly not for you
>>
>>389324273
>Devs decided to put as least effort in the game as possible, cause it's only way to make game difficult.

They could also make Walter destroy your safe file, if you fail to clean your room with candles.

>>389324290
>no pain, no gain
>>
>>389298559
>People still think Kojima could save it
>All of his SH knowledge was based off the films

Sure, it may have been the best SH after 4 but that's still not worth reviving the corpse that is this series. In fact, I'd be happier if they kept Silent Hill dead so my memory of the series can remain fond. Thank you.
>>
>>389298559
Konami
>>
They fucked up when Pyramid Head became a type of species/multiple rather than a single entity. And they didn't do much with them anyway. So much wasted potential.
>>
>>389298559
Konami would rather build gambling machines instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ht4dbyPIcM
>>
>>389324943
>good and working control scheme somehow is responsible for making these games "challenging"
>difficulty is the only factor that matters in games
>I hate learning new things!
>>
File: 2cyheh2.png (477KB, 774x411px) Image search: [Google]
2cyheh2.png
477KB, 774x411px
>>389325120
Well, movie has to sell, and in order to sell, it has to appeal to the broader audience. People who never played any SH game mostly associated it with PH as he was the most recognizable icon of the franchise in media. But wait, we can't have this kind of gloomy, symbolic entity, people won't like his design. Let's make him ripped, bare-chested, make both his helmet and knife being less worn-out and more edgy, and let him command the hordes of monsters!
>>
>>389325676
the movie version looks better, I started with SH2 on release then also saw the movie on release.

Fight me
>>
>>389324869

Still wonder.

>>389324835
>Something that stopped happening with games in 2005-2007
Isn't that what you wanted by saying what SH must stay as close to the formula to be good?

>walking? No.
Not walking, silly. Content, substance, characters, plot, lore, whatever you call it.

>such as?
Let's say whole Brookhaven. In any game. Yeah, it's a good example.
>And are they the majority of everything found in these games?
yeah

> every single game should just play exactly the same
Gameplay isn't only controls. What's why Half-life 2, CS and Portal are different games. Controls must be convenient.

>SH3 and 4
Well, i don't like both of them, but sh3 team clearly got better people.
>>
>>389298559
Team Silent wanted to do other things. The Room should be enough proof of that.

Also no other developer understood how to recapture the right mood and sense of mystery.
>>
>>389324943
See >>389325375
Also from what I know SH4 had a bit of a troubled development. It was also more of a B team as someone in the other SH thread put it. I mean shit as a B team I'd say they did much better for the franchise they worked on than the B team that worked on Dark Souls 2. DaS2 was disgusting. Especially with that graphics downgrade. At least 4 tried to be super original and it had some great monster designs. Water Prison levels is one of the best in all the SH games. For a B team they did a pretty damn swell job. The game is a solid 7/10 in my eyes. And a 7/10 that actually matters. Not going by ridiculous inflated scores where only a 9/10 and above is a good game.
>>
File: 1491758921490.jpg (116KB, 960x544px) Image search: [Google]
1491758921490.jpg
116KB, 960x544px
>>389298559
Everybody took SH2 for what SH was all about and when every SH game wasn't like SH2 people whined and threw fits until they just gave up
>>
>>389325375
>>good and working control scheme somehow is responsible for making these games "challenging"
They're not, they makes game better. Just like bad controls makes game worse.

>difficulty is the only factor that matters in games
no

>I hate learning new things!
I hate to learn shitty, inconvenient controls, i want to learn new and interesting mechanics, ideas.
>>
>>389326084
>Still wonder.
Konami killed it. Or actually, they never truly cared for it in the first place.

>Isn't that what you wanted by saying what SH must stay as close to the formula to be good?
SH's original formula is such a huge deviation from modern, generic game designs, that it actually feels new and refreshing in late 2010s.
It is, by all means, technically its own sub-genre. One that has been shown to still work and appeal to tons of people even today, as evident by the explosive sales of REmake HD couple years ago. Which resulted RE0 HD port being developed in a record time, and also got Capcom to finally get off their fat asses and start the long waited REmake 2 project.

>Content, substance, characters, plot, lore, whatever you call it.
All those are essential essences of these games, yes.
However, a game also needs gameplay, and in case of both original SH and MGS games, people recall the most fondly of things THEY "themselves" experienced and "did" in those games. It's a fine balance of interaction and linear storytelling.

>Let's say whole Brookhaven. In any game.
Any specific area? I mean sure, you occasionally pick up an item from some room, but more often than not, said room is fairly decently decorated and detailed up, telling some kind of story of its own.

>yeah
I must disagree there

>Gameplay isn't only controls
I know this. This is why I hate the "MGS5 had the BEST gameplay!" morons these days.

>Controls must be convenient.
And they are. Much more so than the alternative 2D controls, that just get in your way and look goofy.

>Well, i don't like both of them
Shame. Why?
>>
>>389326351
>let's eat, enjoy and recommend poorly prepared food, cause kitchen is drowned on one side and on fire on another and cook himself has drinking problem
Problems in development aren't excuse to protect shitty product. It's reason to give people behind it another chance, like to Sam Barlow, who made shitty origins and great Shattered Memories.
>>
File: Chariot-header.png (454KB, 740x390px) Image search: [Google]
Chariot-header.png
454KB, 740x390px
Even though Silent Hill pachinko was an unholy sin upon the series, I really loved the design of this monster.
>>
>>389326189
>The Room should be enough proof of that.

SH4 wasn't made by the main team, main team was working on SH3 when SH4 started being developed.
>>
>>389327303
doesn't mean that it'd been JUST some B-team doing all the work. A lot of SH4's foundations were already designed in late 2001.
>>
File: Masashi Tsuboyama IMDb.jpg (150KB, 679x938px) Image search: [Google]
Masashi Tsuboyama IMDb.jpg
150KB, 679x938px
>>389327474
He was already chosen to work on SH4 by 2001, notice that he never touched SH3. Plus SH4 ended up turning out nothing like his idea.

Look at what Imamura has to say about a possible SH5:
>Imamura: Maybe I'll get in trouble for this, so Konami Japan don't fire me, but we are interested in playing with the idea of 'light'... as in 'daylight' and shadows. Ever since the pre-production of SH2, we wanted to start a SH in a normal environment- daylight, people going about their business, just normality. What happens when you make that normality rot all around you? It is possible to make a normal sunny day really creepy. Just look at films like the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre or even one of our favorites, Jacobs Ladder.
http://www.silenthillmemories.net/creators/interviews/2005.04.23_imamura_yamaoka_gameworld_en.htm

Normality rot all around you? Isn't that basically Tsuboyama's idea for the SH4 project?
>>
>>389326706
Konami killed it, cause fans ate those shitty products from jap team, but suddenly turned their noses from same product from western devs.
So, i would say, Team Silent killed it by not making games different enough and fans killed by demanding those same games, while attacking Shattered Memories. Konami just reacts to lower income.

>SH's original formula is such a huge deviation from modern, generic game...
I dunno, i feel like Downpour improved some of good SH1 ideas, which was dropped in next games. And Downpour has many problems.

>All those are essential essences of these games, yes. However,...
How exactly puzzles contribute to game's immersion? It's doing opposite, can you imagine Heather, as her character, standing in the morgue, trying to solve that shitty bird puzzle? That's silly. Narrative, story and charismatic characters we would like to be helps immersion. Not some out of place elements.

>Any specific area?
You want me to quote whole walkthroughs, how you get thing in one room, then another in different room then in third room you combine to get another key...... And no relevant or memorable content meanwhile. Even worse, best room with Mirror in SH3 doesn't have any of this stuff. Why do we need those shitty rooms, instead of making bunch of different Mirror rooms, which you will actually remember?

And it's most of the game, if you delete all this filler, there will be less content than in some of Simpsons episode. That's bad.

>And they are
Tank controls aren't convenient. Don't tell me, there werent moments when character did something stupid. because of camera changes. Many SH speedrunners still struggle sometimes because of them, and they have hundreds of hours. So, what new players must expect?

>Why?
Story isn't psychological enough.
>>389310178

I didn't reread everything, so i'm sorry if something wrong.
>>
>>389328549
>So, i would say, Team Silent killed it by not making games different enough
that's very twisted logic, and not something I'd ever get behind. In fact, TS wasn't even given a proper chance to test new waters after SH4, and they sure as hell won't be held responsible for the atrocities like The Movie and all western sequels.

>i feel like Downpour improved some of good SH1 ideas
the hell it did. It was a total abomination, through and through. Felt like a smashup of Alan Wake and AitD 2009 as well.

>How exactly puzzles contribute to game's immersion? That's silly
it has nothing to do with immersion. It's all about giving players something to DO, while tying it to the story and / or environment.
Majority of video game logic simply do not work in real life or even in movies, which is why so many game-films flop horribly. For starters, they do not usually follow the Drama's Arch -design, partly because the game experiences can be several hours longer, partly because player's own interaction with the product is a major part of the whole game experience.

All those Outlast, SOMA, etc games are examples what we get when you strip a survival-horror game of all its essentials, including puzzles: heavily scripted, narrated, even leash-pulling "cinematic" trash, that has you do same boring shit all the time, just to unlock a new cutscene.

>You want me to quote whole walkthroughs, how you get thing in one room, then another in different room then in third room you combine to get another key.
No. I want you, to name specific examples, where you literally just walk into an empty room, just to pick up one key item, and nothing else. I can think of 1 such room in SH1 myself.

Walkthroughs are not something to judge games upon. They are simplified charts on what you need to do in order to finish a game. RE2's walkthrough for example tends to go something along the lines of "Go to room, kill all the zombies, pick up ammo and proceed through the 1st door on the right".
>>
>>389325120
So you mean the series died with Silent Hill 2?
>>
>>389312696
the baby in the fridge was very unsettling. and the ghost chilling on the balcony was also really spooky. seeing her fucking shadow twitching from behind me also freaked me the fuck out
>>
>>389328549
>Why do we need those shitty rooms, instead of making bunch of different Mirror rooms, which you will actually remember?
So you want a rollercoaster ride full of fancy spectacle set-pieces, and no dynamic exploration of your own? No wonder you "liked" Downpoor.

>And it's most of the game, if you delete all this filler, there will be less content than in some of Simpsons episode
you still call it a filler? Sorry, but THAT is the core gameplay at its bare bones. And you could trivialize ANY game into such mundane and boring sounding lists of tasks if you wanted to; it's all about the flavor and details added around them that make the games.

>Tank controls aren't convenient. Don't tell me, there werent moments when character did something stupid. because of camera changes.
The tank controls help to reduce the inconveniences. This is a hard fact.
I just saw a total survival horror rookie play REmake HD for the first time couple years ago, starting with the new 2D controls, but later on switched to the traditional control style. All because the 2D controls DO fuck you up big time when camera-angle changes, leading to extra frustration, or even death, in some puzzles and boss fights.

>So, what new players must expect?
I've seen completely new players, age of ~25, get the hang of the controls in less than 15 minutes, and become fluent with them under an hour.

>Story isn't psychological enough.
So you're just an SH2 babby, and totally oblivious to all the similarities in the stories between SH2 and its predecessor AND sequels? Got it.

newsflash: SH2 is a literal ripoff and expansion pack to SH1. All the shit about inner demons and personal hells were already done in SH1.
>>
>>389329113
>SH1
>SH2
>SH3
>The Room
How many chances to improve something did they need? SH3 did nothing to improve, game start in gray corridors with broken doors and that goes for long time. The first door you see in Room is broken.
Almost everything bad in Origins and Homecoming are from TS's games. SM isn't atrocity, quite opposite.

>Downpour
I feel like it was the first game, what let you to explore town, since 1 and 2, and it actually put some content in the town. It wasn't something spectacular, it was a good directions.
>Alan Wake
I don't have problems with Alan Wake, except for endless spawning enemies.

>something to DO, while tying it to the story
Well, that was made poorly, around Downpour lvl.

> game-films flop horribly
They fails, cause idea behind them sucks.

>All those Outlast, SOMA, etc games are examples what we get when you strip a survival-horror game of all its essentials, including puzzles:
Are you saying those games would be better if devs put some puzzles in it and make you to hit monster with tank controls? Just cause you, the player, doing this? No, content behind gameplay sucks, game sucks.

>specific examples
Whole thing, where you collect 2 keys and two codes to get a hair to combine it with hook you got in another empty room to get key for another room with key. It's harder to find example of opposite.

>>389329418
I want content, not dozens empty rooms, with one actually filled with something. It's rollercoaster, cause i would be able to choose myself where to go first.

>you still call it a filler
Yes, it is filler, cause it put on my way only to prevent me to learn content in 1-2 hours and make it 10-15 hours, cause "games needs to be 10-15 hours, that's a great tradition"

>The tank controls help to reduce the inconveniences.
If you compare it with even worse controls. Are you saying it's impossible to make same game with better controls?

fucking limit.
>>
>>389328549
>downpour
>homecoming
>book of memories
>""""""the same product""""""
So you'll just sits down and accept whatever anyone gives you, no matter how bad it is? If you can't see a difference in quality between 1-3 and those shitgames, you're pretty much completely disqualified from having an opinion on games.
>>
>>389329418
>I've seen completely new players...
And i saw speedrunners, who had some problems with controls, so i doubt those new players didn't have any problems with controls.

>SH2 is a literal ripoff and expansion pack to SH1

Amazing theory.

>All the shit about inner demons and personal hells were already done in SH1
Except it was all Alessa's who's little girl and there wasn't much to tell about her, except for endless hate towards others people.
While James has some more complex themes to explore.
While SH3 is about girl, who saves the world.
>>
>>389331101
>How many chances to improve something did they need?
"If it's not broken, don't fix it". Still applies to everything really, yet devs these days seem to be driven by this urge to totally overhaul EVERYTHING, and then try to convince people that it's all for the "better".

TS' SH games improved on just about EVERYTHING all the way to the end: graphics and animations took major leaps between 1, 2 and 3, controls got more fluent, etc.

>Almost everything bad in Origins and Homecoming are from TS's games
Worse controls, total lore-rape stories written by mentally 12 year olds, fugly graphics, and literally copy-pasted enemy and whole setpiece designs were definitely NOT a thing Team-Silent were known for.

>SM isn't atrocity, quite opposite.
only thing I agree on. SM is great, but NOT a survival-horror game anymore.

>I feel like it was the first game, what let you to explore town, since 1 and 2, and it actually put some content in the town
Literal empty openworld with pointless sidequests are not something to be proud of. Especially if the game looks and runs like ass, and has entire copypasted ROOMS.

>Well, that was made poorly, around Downpour lvl.
Downpoor was the literal murky rock-bottom of the series. Nothing, and I mean nothing, did anything as badly as that piece of shit.
So far, it just sounds like you just enjoy watching games more than actually playing them.

>They fails, cause idea behind them sucks.
No, they fail, because their own design and writing is from ass. Because film makers don't realize that you need to ADAPT the source material to a very different media format, not just try to copy-paste things from games.
It does not help that in case of SH films, the plot and lore were also streamlined, simplified, and totally altered so that they'd be easier to understand and less triggering for typical, wider movie-goers in the USA.

>>
>>389331171
>downpour
I sad, this game was different.
>homecoming
And origins were first attempts, where Devs just copy previous product and filled their games with same grey corridors broken doors and puzzles.
>book of memories
Nobody counts that game

>If you can't see a difference in quality between 1-3 and those shitgames

I see the difference, but overall they're all bad, while SH2 has great story and SH1 has some historical meaning.

>disqualified
By who? Elite fanbase court? Same people, who wrote explanation to homecoming's monsters on wiki?
Thanks god.
>>
>>389325676
I like both designs.
>>
>>389331101
>Are you saying those games would be better if devs put some puzzles in it
Puzzles, inventories, actual enemies roaming dynamically... Yes.
Look no further than at Penumbra -series, namely ep1 and 2. Same devs as behind SOMA and Amnesia, much more engaging and varied gameplay, which relies on your own skills, memories and understanding on what the game asks from you. Frictional has only shot themselves to the foot with every following game afterwards.

>and make you to hit monster with tank controls?
Tank controls have nothing to do with anything, but more player interaction results better game.
And more GAME means more stuff needs to be designed around it, meaning potentially better experience all around.

>where you collect 2 keys and two codes to get a hair to combine it with hook you got in another empty room to get key for another room with key.
And were those rooms always just empty places with nothing else noteworthy?
None of it provoked any thoughts or disturbing feelings?

>I want content, not dozens empty rooms, with one actually filled with something.
AFAIK, every single room in TS' games were full of something. And often very unique too.

>Yes, it is filler, cause it put on my way only to prevent me to learn content in 1-2 hours and make it 10-15 hours, cause
These games can be easily beat under 2 hours, with first playthru' taking approximately 6 hours for most people.
And it's still not filler when it's all by design. You're not watching a movie, you're experiencing a game with a story.

>Are you saying it's impossible to make same game with better controls?
What would be "better" controls in this context?

>>389331386
>And i saw speedrunners, who had some problems with controls,
Just means you've seen bad speedrunners

>Amazing theory.
but true

>Except it was all Alessa's who's little girl and there wasn't much to tell about her, except for endless hate towards others people.
Absolutely wrong. Jesus, you're a prime example of SH2-nufags
>>
>>389331497
>It's not broken
>if horse can pull the weight, why do you need a car?
To improve it.

>TS' SH games improved on just about EVERYTHING
Oh, yeah, i still remember how they "improved" SH3 by adding meat to distract monsters. Let's not forget The Room's improvements. And why do you bring technical stuff in it, like animations and graphics, it was about mechanics.

>gray corridors, broken doors, puzzles
Controls were bad before, story was bad before. Room's graphics was bad after SH3.
>TEAM SILENT WAS A MONOLITH
Great meme. Team is good as people in it, and important people was leaving team after every game.

>NOT a survival-horror game anymore
Yeah, not enough silly poetry puzzles and pipe fighting

>Literal empty openworld with pointless sidequests
Sounds better than empty corridor without sidequests

>They fails, cause idea behind them sucks.
>No, they fail, because their own design and writing is from ass.
You just repeat that i typed. Are you contrarian?

You sounds like ass-blasted fan, can you ignore me, pls, i'm worry for you health.
>>
>>389311969
I honestly can't see P.T being a good "silent hill" game. Maybe a good game, but it didn't quite showcase what kojima would do besides a little bit of mind fuckery.
>>
>>389332951
I think it did a really good job for such a small space. I think a full game would have rocked
>>
>>389333474
It was cool, don't get me wrong. But people getting super hyped that Kojima would make a great silent hill game based on something pretty small is hard to believe. How do we know if he even knows what silent hill is actually about? The western devs thought they knew but completely fucked it up, Kojima doesn't even know why people liked Metal Gear, He completely took everything that made metal gear special out of 5. Why should we think he would do better with a franchise that isn't even his?
>>
>>389331817
So, you don't care about content as long you need to work for it?

More interactions are good, more interactions with tank control are bad. SH games had tank control and less interactions. This way most important room in SH (Alessa's) had zero meaningful interactions.

> just empty places with nothing else noteworthy?
I don't know, maybe some unrelated diary written by some random madman or 2 same monsters what i saw dozens times before is something "noteworthy" for you, but for me, if room doesn't have something memorable, like Mirror room from sh3 and Eillen head room for the room, it's shitty empty copypasta room number 4*.

>AFAIK, every single room in TS' games were full of something. And often very unique too.
I don't think, you would lie about it, so it's just a delusion. SAD. (sorry)

>These games can be easily beat under 2 hours
Well, that only shows how much actual content is in the game.

>What would be "better" controls in this context?
Any other controls what doesn't suck? I'm not making games.

>all speedrunners are bad.

>Absolutely wrong
No, i'm not. Alessa isn't interesting character. Her conflict is simple.
If i'm wrong just tell me where.
>>
>>389333854
5? Kojimer completely ruined 4.

People just love hype.
>>
>>389334036
4 or 5 doesn't really matter, disagreeing with me on which game is retarded, just further proves my point. 5 and 4 are shit, man doesn't even know his own games, why should we trust him with another franchise that a lot of other people seemed to failed at understanding.
>>
>>389334167
Well, he has some style, could be something interesting, maybe even something good, if someone stand behind and direct his vision in constructive way.

But it's just a theory.
>>
>>389303376
>>389305262
Pyramid Head represents a few things for James. The weight of his guilt (the sword), sexual frustration with Mary (there are scenes where Pyramid Head rapes mannequins), and the desire to be punished (his role as an executioner) are all present. He's a really good foil to James, all things considered. Of course, there are tons of other ways to spin how PH is a reflection of James's psyche, but these are the real prominent ones. The red pyramid on his head was designed that way to make PH "look as if he's in pain." The designer wanted to give the player an unsettling feeling and decided to use a lot of hard edges for the head. The red pyramid itself isn't symbolic of anything stated outright (though you can interpret how you wish), it's more to visually convey the idea of physical pain. In some concept art, you can see flesh creeping around the backside of the pyramid and up around where the jawline would be, as if the pyramid was grafted over his skin and his body was trying to heal around it. It's really good stuff.

>>389307123
Jesus Christ how horrifying.
>>
>>389298559
Nothing last forever
>>
>>389298559
Horror is a dead genre in 2017
>>
>>389298559
KO
KOKOKOKOKO
NA
NANANANANA
MI
MIMIMIMIMIMI
KO NA MI
>>
>>389304314
Well, Siren remake was bad. Like i just shut it off after half an hour.
>>
>>389298559
DID YOU KNOW?!
In silent hill 1, if you bash bird creature with pipe, you will damage his brain and he will run away slowly, while flying low and bashing his wings randomly. And after some time he will just die.
Sry for my engrish, just wanted to tell you that.
>>
>>389336518
Does this work for all melee weapons?
>>
>>389336518
Amazing info. Did you also know if you'll wait behind bars Cynthia's ghost will die by itself, while screaming
>>
>>389333854
PT was actually a really good small-scale silent hill story; the idea that a guilty person is forced to constantly walk the halls of their greatest crime for eternity, constantly harassed psychologically by his victims

and the main reason people were hyped for Kojima to be the one making it is because he is an auteur director and goes to ridiculous lengths for the sake of small details (look up about the ice melting in MGS2, it's actually fucking ridiculous)
>>
>>389299075
>never played SH
>but always intrigue about SH and liked the movie since the first game on PS1
>got myself a PS3 nearly at it's platform EOL
>got a cheap used silen hill army guy protag

Game is like shit, so only the first three the good ones ?
>>
>>389337156
try shattered memories for ps2, it's different, but great.
>>
>>389304073

You're high on some mighty strong shit there jabbawock
>>
>>389337048
i feel it was too vague and simply to be good.

>>389337545
Oh, yeah, i confused Ito and Owaku,
Ito is cool, Owaku is hack.
>>
>>389336716
Cynthia ghost was spooky as fuck in the trailer.
>>
>>389299075
Same could be said of Resident Evil.
>>
>>389337251
>shattered memories
>ps2 and psp

Well it flew right under my radar, will emulate it once i get the game.
>>
>>389337637
yeah, as any standard Japanese female ghost.

>>389337671
Good luck! hope, you'll like it.
>>
>>389300794
I was mostly looking forward to PT due to the main big names working on it together, not the individual people.
Del Toro, Junji Ito, and Kojima are like a dream team whenever you think about the three working on a Silent Hill game.
>>
>>389337251
It is shit though. I do not know what is exactly great about this game. It is mediocore walking simulator with puzzles for retarded people.
>>
>>389304073
But SH3 is better than 2.
>>
>>389337828
What, how? Only graphics are better
Thread posts: 194
Thread images: 31

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.