[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was the original Xbox more powerful than the then-next-gen Wii?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: wii xbox.png (348KB, 1201x526px) Image search: [Google]
wii xbox.png
348KB, 1201x526px
Was the original Xbox more powerful than the then-next-gen Wii?
>>
>>389279437
doubt it, gamecube looked slightly shittier than the original xbox and the wii is basically the gamecube on steroids
>>
Xbox is 20 gflops, Wii was 12.
>>
>>389280361
>wii is basically the gamecube on steroids
>on steroids
>>
>>389279437
Xbox is a fucking monster but the wii was more powerful.
>>
Xbox supported 720p and 1080i and also had Half-Life 2 so I put my money on the original Xbox easily.
>>
Original Xbox had more impressive graphics than some games of the best games on GC or Wii.
Panzer Dragoon Orta is one of those games
>>
Hard to say. Wii was only 1.5x faster than the Gamecube, and the Gamecube was terribly underpowered compared to the Xbox.
>>
>>389281210
Metroid Prime 3 looked better desu senpai
>>
>>389283185
Was the gamecube that weak, specs wise? I always thought its shortcomings were its little hobbit discs and virtually nonexistent online, not its power.
>>
>>389283697
The Gamecube wasn't necessarily *weak*, the Xbox was just a powerhouse. The thing had HD 1080i output and could run Half-Life 2 and it was a 2001 machine.
>>
>>389283697
Out of all the 6th gen consoles, the only one weaker than the Gamecube is the Dreamcast. Unlike the PS2 and like the Xbox it didn't really have any bottlenecks or unnecessary complexity which made it pretty developer friendly.

>>389283876
>The thing had HD 1080i output
In my experience, the HD output of the Xbox has terrible performance.
The only reason the Xbox could do it and the Wii couldn't is because the Xbox had truly unified RAM and the Wii was forced to use a 2MB framebufffer.
Also Half Life 2 runs like complete shit, but it remains an impressive port.
>>
>>389283438

Sure, that's why i said "some".

>>389284162
Xbox was a basically a pc, so it was cheating for a great while.
>Dreamcast
Funny and kinda unfair to compare to other consoles when that was released in 98, which was almost 20 years ago.
>>
File: Burnout 3.jpg (290KB, 1366x624px) Image search: [Google]
Burnout 3.jpg
290KB, 1366x624px
>>389284768
I know, I just needed to throw that in their for context.
It's commonly believed that the Gamecube was more powerful than the PS2, but that really ain't true. It's just a well balanced machine.
I'm recall that, VUs included, the Gamecube only had a third of the SIMD performance of the PS2. Back of the envelope numbercrunching tells you then that the Wii's SIMD performance was half that of the PS2. Something physics-heavy like Half Life 2 could never possibly have run on the Wii.
>>
>wikipedia is hard
>>
>>389280564
yeah thats what i said
>>
>>389285103
Yea that's just one dev's opinion. I'm sure the developers of Resident Evil 4 would have other things to say.
>>
>>389287434
>RE4 - the slow paced game with almost zero physics
Burnout probably ran at 60fps too.
>>
>>389279437

It's hard to say. I can't say I could see the original Xbox handling Super Mario Galaxy. Looking over the specs they're pretty neck-in-neck but direct comparisons are difficult due to the architecture being different.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.