[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are MMORPG's a dying genre?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 510
Thread images: 74

File: TERA_ScreenShot_20120311_192154.png (2MB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
TERA_ScreenShot_20120311_192154.png
2MB, 1440x900px
Why are MMORPG's a dying genre?
>>
>>389258805
No innovation.
>>
Because the gameplay was always shit, they were just a proto-facebook for people to be "social" on the internet.
>>
>>389258986
fpbp

Speaks for the entire game industry at the moment, development costs are too high and nobody takes risks anymore when it comes to something new. So we're stuck with clone after clone with only minor improvements with each game, rather than something new as a whole.
>>
>>389258805

The players.
>>
>>389258805
The greedy.
>>
>>389258805
WoW dipped, but it's doing pretty good agian. It's probably gaining players now. Can't speak for other mmos because I don't play them.
>>
>>389258805
>hating on cats
>>
What even are the top MMO's these days that are actually growing? I play SWGEMU and I'm happy with it, but I never hear anyone talk about any MMO's at all these days.
>>
>>389258805
Data mining removes the "epicness" of the game world, forcing difficult gameplay to revolve around instances. Server costs means you need a larger playerbase with more casual players.

WoW is still the best mmo because it understands this and has focused on mythic+ and raiding.
>>
>>389258805
No time to play them...gotta work to pay for rent.
>>
>>389259743
Same
>>
>>389258805
Becouse devs are scared of allowing actual rp elements and challenge to take center stage and publishers fuck the games up becouse of greed.
>>
File: 233.jpg (27KB, 604x416px) Image search: [Google]
233.jpg
27KB, 604x416px
>>389258805
>MMOs want to rake in the WoW money so they copy WoW
>MMO autists """""hate""""" WoW so they leave every WoW clone to die
>occasionally an MMO tries to do it's own thing but since it's doesn't have enough WoW elements it ends up slowly dying

So you can blame developers for being creatively bankrupt and MMO shitters for not wanting to adapt to change while simultaneously complaining about stagnation.
>>
single player games are superior in every way. (in every way)
>>
>>389258805
Because they keep ignoring the first M in MMO.
I don't care about action game combat, I don't care about stupid features, just give me a good open world, with a PvP system that makes sense, and no fucking instanced shit or 'main quest'.
>>
File: 1499571743533.jpg (5KB, 245x206px) Image search: [Google]
1499571743533.jpg
5KB, 245x206px
>>389258805
Becouse its all about whale fishing now.
>>
I got the free trial of Black Desert, and most of the time, I have no idea what I'm doing. Rather, I dunno what half of the stuff is supposed to do, some NPCs do the gathering I suppose, dunno what or how the conversations work

The character editor is nice I guess
>>
>>389258805
Tera is in a nice state right now, you can run the famous hack and gear up in a day. If you want to know the name of the hack or how to use it, visit the KR developer site as they published info on it without fixing it.
>>
I think the way video games have changed in general have removed some of the appeal of mmos. A big appeal was the idea you could go anywhere and do anything. Now that pretty much any game with a budget is open-world, they become just another open-world game with a shallow questing system.

OR, they focus too much on it, like ESO, and pull a ton of the skyrim audience, but then lose players when they realize they hate mmo mechanics. All while the people who love mmos complain that the actual mmo mechanics are lacking.

Still play eso every day. I think it's got a lot of appeal for casual mmo players
>>
>>389260123
Do yourself a favor and uninstall it. The game was fucking beautiful I spent a day straight playing that game.
Then I realized I was a fool, it's made by Koreans it's pay to win as fuck. The new crafting pay to win stuff just sealed the deal, their is literally no reason to play the game because someone can just buy pearls to be Insta best in everything(like 1v12 people)
>>
>>389260506
>nsta best in everything(like 1v12 people)
That's wrong you idiot, everything you said is wrong.
>>
>>389258805
Modern design philosophy is anathema to a good non-themepark MMO. Over-inflated budgets cause design choices to be made overly safe or worse p2w. Too much importance placed on elements of the game tangential to the game's actual quality such as story, fancy graphics, voice acting.

Also action combat is an objectively poor choice for RPGs, especially multiplayer ones, and will 100% of the time result in an easy game that's got the depth of a puddle. Fight me.
>>
>>389258805
People don't want comfy middle earth, they prefer L33T raids.
>>
Because humans are starting to turn away from communities and prefer to company of isolation then actually making connections with strangers.
>>
>>389259069
Basically this. They were never good. Anybody who remembers them as being good is sadly mistaken.
>>
File: 148hlog.jpg.png (155KB, 605x470px) Image search: [Google]
148hlog.jpg.png
155KB, 605x470px
>>389258805
GRINDING

and

Kill X number of things quests
>>
>>389258805
Because MMOs are only fun if you have lots of people willing to spend ten hours a day on them, and anyone who spends ten hours a day playing the same game is probably just going to stick to the game they're currently playing.
>>
Because the genre failed to evolve. It's the same old mechanics rehashed at each iteration.

WoW was a success because it had everything gamers wanted at the time : heroic fantasy setting with humor but also serious, nice graphics, multiplayer and social aspects. MMORPG weren't new stuff back then but WoW nailed a lot of things that made the genre successful.

Then we got rehashes of WoW, and rehashes of rehashes... Some stuff changed but the core mechanics stayed the same.

If I said that I consider Minecraft the true successor of WoW, would I be considered retarded by /v/ ?
>>
>>389261131
>wow
>nice graphics
This is how little WoW players go outside.
WoW's graphics were clunky and obsolete right out of the gate.
>>
>>389260436
I kind of feel this with the community. Before steam became widespread I didn't really know how to play with people online besides mmos. Once I had alternatives, I found it was easier to find people I enjoy playing with outside of the hordes of so random kawaii ^.^ "I le need an undead kitten army" that I always found in mmos. I was also pretty young, so there may have been better ways the whole time
>>
>>389261131
Considering how big multiplayer servers are, not completely wrong.
>>
>>389261131
The core mechanics of WoW haven't stayed the same even within WoW itself. However you are dead on that the design has stagnated for far too long.

>If I said that I consider Minecraft the true successor of WoW, would I be considered retarded by /v/ ?
I'd agree, however I think something like Day Z and the like are closer. Something like PUBG is a more social, massively multiplayer experience than modern MMORPGs are.
>>
>>389260656
Watch some Korean streamers of one guy soloing a lot of people because of pearls.
>>
They're either trying to be wow or try to be totally unique, that or the company goes full on money grab mode and just fuck the game up if it even had any potential, Archeage for example, could've been fantastic game.
>>
>>389261316
Haven't seen any new content? Game looks awesome
>>
>>389258805
>>389258986
Can you cite some data instead of pulling shitposts out of your morbidly obese asses?
>>
>>389259069
This. It got a pass back in the day because the idea that you were playing this game online with so many other real people was incredible. Nowadays, every game has some sort of online connectivity feature and playing with others all the time is just the norm
>>
>>389258805
http://mud.co.uk/richard/The%20Decline%20of%20MMOs.pdf
>>
File: 1502737185858.jpg (32KB, 436x535px) Image search: [Google]
1502737185858.jpg
32KB, 436x535px
>Single Player Game
>59.99 out the gate
>29.99 Season Pass
>Possible Season 2 of said Season Pass which will cost another 29.99
>You literally spent nearly 100 dollars to play the full game

>MMO
>Free to Play
>Realize it's shit
>Quit
>Total Spending: Zero

And yet here we are shitting on MMOs.
>>
>>389261131
WoW never had a successor because the real game never left vanilla
>>
>>389258805
Requires too much time investment.
>>
File: gandalf.gif (2MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
gandalf.gif
2MB, 480x360px
>>389261497
>Something like PUBG is a more social, massively multiplayer experience than modern MMORPGs are.

I have been predicting for a while now that the next big high fantasy MMORPGs is going to borrow a shit ton from the survival/battle royale genre. All the elements are there.
>>
No innovation. Its been retarded Koreans copying wow and equally retarded western companies trying to cash in wows success. Basically the mmorpg genre is like indie developer rpg maker, visual novel shit on steam. Its made with little effort and no soul for brainlets and a quick buck.
>>
>>389262624
>the next big high fantasy MMORPGs
There will never big a next big one from the east because they don't make PC MMOs anymore. I hope you like western MMOs though because those are always getting funded on Kickstarter.
>>
>>389262875
My money is on slavshits.
>>
>>389261923
>t.angry neckbeard who is the reason MMO's are dying because he fears change
>>
>>389258805
They aren't anon, you're just retarded.

There are masses of mmorpg titles running now, more than ever before. That means all the people who like these games are spread out among them all.
>>
>>389260205
Why would they care if you ruin the game for yourself? you will be done and can quit.
>>
File: mmos then and now.jpg (145KB, 700x500px) Image search: [Google]
mmos then and now.jpg
145KB, 700x500px
>>389258805
here

there is no feasible cure
>>
File: ScreenShot_17-08-27_20-39-01-000.jpg (449KB, 1680x945px) Image search: [Google]
ScreenShot_17-08-27_20-39-01-000.jpg
449KB, 1680x945px
There are just too many problems with the MMORPG genre. Subscription games are bullshit, why should I have to give you $15/month for a game that I already bought? If I stop paying you then I won't ever be able to play the character that I put hours into? Then you have the Free to play games (A.K.A Pay to win) where you can either put in hundreds of hours grinding or take out your wallet and just buy all the new gear from the latest update. Some are worse than others but it makes the game hopelessly unbalanced. Take Maplestory for example, you have people who can do the damage cap of like 50 million damage 7 times then you have some guy who didn't pay any money and can hit maybe 1 million.
>>
The promise of being able to milk people for years with 15 bucks per month is something suits no longer believe. Meanwhile they notice that F2P or Pay2lootbox does work. Being able to first get money for a game and then get even more by selling cosmetics is a lot more interesting.
>>
FF14 just hit a new peak of subscribers.

I just started playing a month ago after quitting not long after launch, its pretty fun so far, but I'm still levelling.
>>
File: 1481166897451.jpg (292KB, 904x1023px) Image search: [Google]
1481166897451.jpg
292KB, 904x1023px
The novelty of having a giant massive online community engaging in a shared experience has become quaint with the rise of Steam Community, and console-specific networks, along with general matchmaking keeping everybody in much larger ecosystems constantly in connection with one another.

Everything is now massively multiplayer. Games like Dark Souls, Dragon's Dogma, etc. are vaunted for asymmetrical multiplayer features even though the core is functionally a single player game.

And when everything is massively multiplayer, what's the point of an RPG if there's more fun stuff to play?
>>
>>389258805
TOO FUCKING EXPENSIVE TO DEVELOP, HIGH CAPITAL RISK, LONG TERM DEVELOPMENT THE DEVS CANNOT COMMIT TOO.

anything else people say is pure fucking bullshit
>>
Because they were always awful. Tedious, no skill involved, pay to win. Boring. The only people who liked them were loser nerds who NEEDED some social contact.

Why would anyone play them? Please tell me. Grinding grinding grinding. It's fucking tedium that leads nowhere and requires very little skill.
>>
>>389262624
I'd say MOBAs were a big factor, too, since they offer a lot of the appeal of MMO-style combat (grinding up your skills on weak NPCs, working with your team, PVP, mashing hotkeys) but in bite-sized chunks and with all the parts of slowly riding around the wilderness cut out. Like, they're far from the same genre, but I can definitely see a chunk pulling out.
>>
rising ADHD of the entire human species
>>
File: house party.png (3MB, 1920x1063px) Image search: [Google]
house party.png
3MB, 1920x1063px
>>389258805
My FFXIV server has been growing ever since Stormblood came out. At night there's always a queue to login. Can't even go to Limsa without my PC lagging from all the characters on screen.
>>
>>389259069
This basically. Gameplay in a MMO has always been bad, but a large part of the draw was being able to play with so many other people.

Now a days, between other games with online connectivity and just general social media type things, theres less reason for it.

It doesn't help that a large part of MMOs is just jumping through hoops to eventually get high enough for the more interesting content and repeating crap at nausium until you get past the grind.
>>
>>389260864
>You think you do, But you don't
Fuck off
>>
>>389258805
It's not a casual friendly genre. (the proper definition of casual, not the /v/ definition)
>>
>>389264259
They probably ruined PvP.

I can't stand pvp in mmos now, its almost so overwhelmingly unbalanced, I just wonder why I wouldn't quit and play DotA instead.
>>
With have this thread nearly every day and I always say I'm just waiting on Lost Ark Online (Or Lineage Eternal) and if it sucks, I'm killing myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOSvppz9Nvk
>>
File: Chronicles_of_Elyria_2.png (3MB, 1705x1075px) Image search: [Google]
Chronicles_of_Elyria_2.png
3MB, 1705x1075px
>>389258805
I'll save the MMORPG Genre AND the Sandbox genre!
>>
>>389264692
I couldn't get past level 35 in this game in the first month and then gave up
What did I do wrong?
>>
>>389264692
this, they had to even add new servers to lower the server congestion. whens the last time a MMO added servers instead of removing them?
>>
>>389265653
I dunno, maybe the game is not for you.
>>
>>389265721
Rift had to add loads early on.
>>
>>389265861
I really liked the story but the combat was a little boring for me coming from playing TERA before.
I chose Thaumaturge, did I pick a boring class?
>>
>>389262875
Blizzard is already working on a new MMO
>>
>>389266058
every class starts off slow and the mechanics for encounters are simple to ease you in. it gets better later on as higher stats reduce your global cooldown, you gain more abilities that don't even trigger the global cooldown, and mechanics become more severely punishing.

personally I didn't like the game until I was at least level 45
>>
File: Tears_In_Rain.png (99KB, 492x202px) Image search: [Google]
Tears_In_Rain.png
99KB, 492x202px
I wish ff11 or gw1 had become the new innovators so we would get more fresh mmos but wow completely seized the market by going after mass appeal.
>>
The shitty gameplay most likely.
>>
>>389266051
but rift was f2p/b2p, whens the last time a sub only mmo added servers instead of remove?
>>
>>389265653
35 is literally two day's work if you are new have no idea what you are doing so you quite literally must just not have played the game.
There is honestly not a single MMO that has a leveling experience I'd call enjoyable, it's a necessary evil you have to trudge through. You could buy a level and story skip if you really don't want to deal with it but that'd cost you.

>>389266058
It's a hotbar MMO. The combat is going to be boring as fuck until you reach the endgame and can do raids, it's nothing particularly special in that regard.
>>
>>389258805
[ ] Make some actual sandbox MMO with difficult, memorable PvE encounters out in a dangerous world but otherwise relying on player interactions like large scale PvP and clan warfare for gameplay and long term sustaining of the game

[X] DUDE WHAT IF WE COPIED WOW AGAIN BUT THIS TIME YOU'RE THE SUPER SPECIAL CHOSEN ONE IN A SINGLEPLAYER FULLY VOICE ACTED STORY CAMPAIGN CAMPAIGN
>>
>>389266507
I think the new revamped pvp in FFXIV is fun. Every class plays differently in PVP than in PVE and you can start very early on. Like you could be level 20 in PVP and have the same skills as the level 70 person.
>>
File: mmos.png (2MB, 928x980px) Image search: [Google]
mmos.png
2MB, 928x980px
Looking to get into one of these. Which would you recommend?
>>
>>389261316
If your game pushes the envelope for graphical fidelity, it wont run on most systems.

Blizzard's art direction in World of Warcraft was one of it's smartest ideas. It doesn't look like complete ass and when it first hit it'd run on anything built in the last 2 or 4 years.
>>
>>389266767
none of them
>>
>>389266767
All are bad
>>
>>389266767
Dungeon and Dragons online.
>>
>>389266767
BnS is pretty solid if you don't mind the grind to stand a chance in pvp
>>
>>389259661
Everyone plays WoW and FFXIV still, I honestly think some KMMOs are fun but they can be sad to play because they either go full p2w casual or start to bleed players which hurts the game permanently since they don't advertise much.
>>
>>389259342
This honestly.
>>
>>389258805
MMORPGs are more profitable now than ever, what are you talking about?
>>
>>389261923
Oh fucking please dude, nobody gives a shit about mmos anymore aside from WoW and ff14. ff14 is the only more recent mmo that's done well for itself and it isn't even close to being innovative on any front. Every other new mmo dies off or fades into obscurity after about a month tops.
>>
>>389266767
Aion or Blade and Soul, none of this shit on your image.
>>
>>389266507
>two days of work
I played for a few hours a day for a month
>>
They are more or less dead in the east. People really only play the stuff that came out years ago. Most devs are switching their focus over the mobage

The next big and probably last big mmo east releases for now is Lost Ark and Peria
>>
>>389263901
Thats just people 'growing' up
>>
>>389267581
Standing around in town isn't "playing".
You can get to lv35 on a new character in 2-3 hours if you know what you are doing. Just casually going through the story quests you should get there in 10-12 even if you take your time.
>>
>>389267767
he probably played a long time ago when the exp rates were lower than they were today
>>
>MMORPGs are a dying genre
woah... only half of the top 10 highest grossing PC games are MMORPGs now.......
>>
File: 9qj0G.png (690KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
9qj0G.png
690KB, 1280x720px
>>389264692
Why is their customer service so terrible?
>Login info incorrect
>We have noticed suspicious activity and sent you an email
>No email was sent
>Request password reset
>Square Enix Account Management System
>Log in to Square Enix Account Management System
>Please enter your Square Enix ID and password.
Are you fucking kidding me
>>
>>389268025
where the hell are they getting these values from when some of those publishers/devs don't announce sales/revenue to the public
>>
>>389258805
Because they're all just skinner boxes. They're not designed to be fun but instead addictive with shit like dailies where if you don't play everyday you're "missing out". I know people bitch about MTX ruining games but I believe MMO's and games who do that shit are inherently terrible games.
>>
>>389267836
I haven't even touched the game in like two years, I imagine it's even faster now if they adjusted exp.
Leveling in XIV is super quick, back during SCoB I rushed a WHM alt to cap and got it raid ready with tome gear within around 20h because our 2nd group's healer left and we needed a replacement. It really shouldn't take a month to get to 35 even if you only play an hour a day and talk to absolutely every NPC every time you come across them to see if any dialogue changed.
>>
File: superdata-top-10-grossing-mmos.jpg (1020KB, 1916x1076px) Image search: [Google]
superdata-top-10-grossing-mmos.jpg
1020KB, 1916x1076px
>>389268025
no way.... and 6 out of 10 of the top 10 highest grossing online games are MMORPGs.....
>>
File: firefall02.jpg (557KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
firefall02.jpg
557KB, 1920x1080px
>>389258805
because they keep changing for the worse instead of being content with what they've got

i miss firefall damn it
>>
>>389266767
secret world for story and immersion
tera bns for fighting system
>>
>>389268221
see
>>389268139

also
>calling League of Legends and Dota 2 MMOs
>>
>>389268139
They contact them. Superdata is a big company, their data reports on the game industry sell for thousands of dollars.

The data they collect isn't meant for consumers, but for industry players.
>>
>>389268345
MMO in the industry is synonymous with online game now. MMORPG is the distinction between the traditional definition and the new one.
>>
>>389268134
check junk folder or stop using a shitty email provider

but yes their customer service is trash. if you want to get anything done, call them over the phone. tickets and emails are useless
>>
File: BioShock Infinite 06.jpg (809KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
BioShock Infinite 06.jpg
809KB, 1920x1080px
>>389263901
you might be right, i hope mmos are still magical for kids

unfortunately most kids probably discover them via youtube watching young adults play them and if they dont like it the kids dont like it
>>
>>389258805

yeah right mmos have been dying since 2005 yet they are still here, epic meme my friend

meanwhile the chinese make billions of cash everyday with mmos and blizzard alone has almost half of WoW playerbase in asia, fucking lmao yeah dead genre dead everything, meanwhile they keep racking money and will never stop
>>
>>389268369
>they contact them
and what if they refuse to report? I mean this shit is only reserved for private investors, not for public eyes to be displayed on a website
>>
Because pc and console are releasing more games that are long lasting multiplayers. Theyre cutting into the mmorpg pie.
>>
>>389268662
I don't know then, I don't work at Superdata, but feel free to go on their website and read about them. Maybe you'll find something that I didn't catch.

Overall, I find them to be trustworthy, though I don't pay for their reports and only grab their periodic graphics that are available for free.
>>
tab targeting combat is outdated and dying but we still have no proper replacement. We have hybrid abominations like guild wars 2 and tera that try and fail.
It might take a while until we have an MMO thats BOTH fun to play and has good enough constent to support it.
>>
>>389266767
Wildstar is free to play nowadays, give it a try.

I played it for a month or 1.5 months before I realized I didn't like the crafting system and stopped playing.

Felt bad for the devs, the world is larger than xbox and there's a ton of things to do.
>>
MMOs used to be one of a kind when it came to social interaction in a large environment. Now that doesn't matter anymore since Facebook exists and even non MMO games like Minecraft and GMOD can handle 100+ people on one server
>>
>>389259661

there's 3 choices left

WoW, the king
FF14, the son of the king aspiring for the throne
GW2, the court jester that tries to not be beheaded
>>
>>389268025
>>389268221
okay, well why is the mmorpg genre dying in the west then?
>>
>>389266767
albion online
>>
>>389269006
see
>>389268948
>>
>>389261923
How the fuck do you quantify innovation?

We've got the same fetch quests since WoW popularized them over a decade ago. We have the same story driven drivel with no originality in approach in world building. Same leveling shit. Same class based system we've always had.

You'd have to be retarded to not accept this as simply fact.
>>
>>389269006
Because the releases have been shit. Someone is cooking up something big.
Don't listen to >>389268948 that junk can't replace the genre
>>
Because they are too big on an investment for any company to try something new. The few that do get pushed out the gate before they are ready, or release so barebone they cant keep an audience.

A mmo needs to appeal to a lot of different groups of people. So it needs to be very rounded in features. Social features, exploration, side content, pvp, and raiding if you are doing that. I use wildstar as an example of something that released when it only had content for one audience, the pve was set up to be pretty solid but it had nothing else. You had no side zones to go to, no rep to farm or things to go see. You either did your attunement/raids or got offline.
>>
>>389269006
They're not dying. If they're making profits then they are not dying. /v/ is delusional because most of us are burnt out of the genre, but that doesn't mean the genre is dying in the West.

Blade and Soul, TERA, WoW, SWTOR, ESO, Lineage 2, Aion, DFO, Maplestory, etc.

These games are alive - if they weren't making a profit then they would be shut down. The problem nowadays is that there are so many options available that the overall MMO community is no longer homogenized around a single game like in the past.
>>
File: 1407399865495.gif (654KB, 300x346px) Image search: [Google]
1407399865495.gif
654KB, 300x346px
>>389258805
I think the problem with mmo's is that everybody is the hero, and if everybody is the hero then no one is.
I'd like to see a mmo where everyone has a somehow different role, like blacksmith, shop keeper, cook, guards, bounty hunter,etc... You'd have to get a large and diverse community if you want to progress.
It would be hell to program and to make every role somehow fun and rewarding but i'd totally play a game like that.

tl;dr: MMO's can't be good if every body is the main guy
>>
>>389263909

subscription money is for patches and constant support

you know what happens when there's no subscription money? Guild Wars 2, aka zero content pls buy our gems edition.

people that cry about WoW content droughts have no fucking clue what gw2 players have to endure, the game is over 5 years old and it has a whopping EIGHT DUNGEONS which are the same from FUCKING LAUNCH.
There are mini dungeons called fractals that provide absolutely nothing new on the part of story telling or content except being random challenges with zero plot and just wild ideas sewn togheter without context, you just do them for BiS gear which is required for maximum level, once you reach that you are done forever with the game, there is a war between servers mode that is more dead than michal jackson and pvp has TWO FUCKING MODES AFTER 5 YEARS.

there you go, you either pay a sub fee or you play a life support game sitting on a wheelchair
>>
What happened with Revelation Online?
>>
>>389269113
At least FFXI and FFXIV let's you play all the classes on 1 character. Still haven't found another MMO that lets you do this.
>>
File: 1447872321607.png (8KB, 553x478px) Image search: [Google]
1447872321607.png
8KB, 553x478px
>>389267579
>miss Aion
>get reminded of enchantment and manastone embeeding rates
>EU servers are hosted by gamejew
>gotta farm millions of ingame money or pay real money for gold packs if you want to fully enjoy the game
>gold packs only last 1 month
>Guild disbanned over girl gamur drama after being together for 3~4 years
>>
>>389269637
that's what you get for playing f2p. I only from launch up until f2p while the game had a monthly sub and those were the best MMO years of my life
>>
>>389269413
Ragnarok Online pretty close to that. Literally shopkeeper class and blacksmith. They do those roles in actuality too. Heck even a dancer and bard that may synergise for top ability.

It's kinda old and the charm is rubbing off tho.
>>
>>389269435
GW1 was pretty good for not having a sub
>>
>>389269413
Wurm Unlimited pretty much does that, but calling it an MMO is a bit of a stretch.
>>
>>389269834
why can't there be a proper RO sequel?
>>
>>389268025
>dfo
what, it's that popular? I might try again
>>
>>389269502

Phantasy Star Online 2.
>>
>Nobody could make a MMO as good as Vanilla WoW, and no company has the money today to make a project as big as WoW.

>takes too much time and the generation that grew up in video games are now working and soon with kids
>>
>>389270005
Hands down Koreas most popular MMO

It's still literally just a gambling simulator where whaling is required unless you want to flip markets all day nonstop and get lucky.
>>
>>389270012
That's not a MMO. There's no persistent zones. Even Sega calls it a online action game in their advertisments.
>>
>>389259357
i recently played everquest again and was reminded just how damn greedy everybody is. it's insane.
>>
because people lurking on /v/ think gw2 is a bad game and do not try it out
>>
File: ffxiv director.jpg (174KB, 630x1087px) Image search: [Google]
ffxiv director.jpg
174KB, 630x1087px
Is this man right /v/?
Should modern MMOs be designed this way to be successful?
>>
>>389270132
The lobby is persistent and there's a massive amount of players that plays together online.
By that logic shit like WoW and XIV aren't MMOs either because 95% of your playtime is in instances.
>>
File: final fantasy 15.jpg (40KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
final fantasy 15.jpg
40KB, 500x500px
>>389269413
ok you be the shopkeeper while I adventure into caves
>>
>>389270320

All he did was make me lose interest in the game and never return. Me and everyone else I played with except 1 or 2 people.
>>
>>389270284
I tried it and it was one of the worst games I've ever played
>>
>>389258805
Shit quests while leveling and shit grinding post max level.
>>
>>389270284

All GW2 manages to make me do is go back to GW1. I don't think I've ever hated a game as much as GW2, even if it does have some strong points. I only really keep it around to explore new maps as they get released.
>>
>>389269987
It's ToS though, people were just in denial about some of the sucky things in RO because they played private servers.
>>
will crowfall save mmo?
it has proper trinity, history showed that if you go away from trinity your game will suck(looking at you gw2 and bns, both baby tier shitfests instead of organized combat)
>>
File: lumbridge-training-cows.png (117KB, 767x504px) Image search: [Google]
lumbridge-training-cows.png
117KB, 767x504px
>>389268957
What about Oldschool Runescape? The best and most unique MMO on the market right now?
>>
>>389270284
GW2 is only fun for exploration, you do it for a bit then quit, and the content doesnt release fast enough to play that game for more than a month every couple years or so. I'll play the new expansion for a bit and after I've explored the new maps and tried specs for a bit I'll quit just like every else I know that plays that game that isn't addicted or socially invested.
>>
>>389270345
to be called a mmo, you must have a persistent world. as in things are still happening in the world even if 0 players are present. for instance, WoW and FFXIV still has gathering nodes that operate on their own spawn timers, world and fate quests that continue to cycle and spam and engage NPCs in the world even if 0 players are there, same with world bosses. In the case of PSO2, there's no persistent world ever. Everything is instanced to a lobby. There's no difference between lobby 1 and lobby 32. If 0 players are in a cave dungeon group, the place ceases to exist. No monsters spawn, no traps trigger, nothing happens. Same logic with MOBAs. If 0 players are in a match, creeps don't spawn neither does the jungle. Nothing happens.
>>
MUDs will return
>>
>>389270830
shut the fuck up
>>
Recently had the itch to play an MMO again despite my better judgment.

Anyone out there currently worth checking out, preferably something requiring very little to no monetary investment from me seeing as I'll probably get burnt out again in a month or two.
>>
>>389270320
No. MMOs are not mobile games.
That statement is just a flimsy excuse to try and make the sheeple hail him for his wisdom instead of getting upset that they only get new content once every 6~7 months, said content can for the most part be completed in a day, and even the most difficult raid tiers don't last the midcore audience longer than a week at most.

It's the primary reason I stopped playing XIV, there is simply nothing to really do if you are halfway decent at video games and have a competent group of people to play with. You just spend a couple days learning and killing the 4 bosses of the newest Savage Raid every 12~14 months and then log in once a week to do your reclears for the rest of it. It's just not worth it.
>>
>>389270986
I'm the same way, I just resub to ff14 once every couple years for a month or two, that works for me.
>>
>>389270695
THIS

Honestly I don't even understand how the fuck they managed to blew up all the wonderful stuff they made in GW.
>>
>>389271110
what he's saying is that you should treat FFXIV like a JRPG with co-op rather than a MMO you play for 1000 hours
>>
File: hours.png (43KB, 521x92px) Image search: [Google]
hours.png
43KB, 521x92px
>>389270759
No it isn't. At their core, they are fundamentally different. ToS's entire experiences revolves around grinding to max level and doing daily stuff for money.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlc5W2lYirU

TERA CBTs were the last fun I had in an MMO
>>
>>389271248
You make more money grinding open world, people are driven to dailies by intellectual laziness and a refusal to engage with the economy.
>>
File: roleplaying.jpg (42KB, 388x291px) Image search: [Google]
roleplaying.jpg
42KB, 388x291px
>>389270943
my nigga.
>>
File: playtime_ffxiv.jpg (30KB, 595x118px) Image search: [Google]
playtime_ffxiv.jpg
30KB, 595x118px
>>389271110
is this you
>>
File: new icb ohs effect.webm (3MB, 672x420px) Image search: [Google]
new icb ohs effect.webm
3MB, 672x420px
tera is a fun action game. other mmos suck though that's for sure.
>>
>>389270320
>Avoid forcing people to play
>Have dailies and other retarded timed shit
Well he did accomplish his job in the end, the game was shit and I lasted a few weeks.
>>
>>389270830
Too many bots, the grind is infinite
>>
>>389268221
There is literally zero information ever available about dota revenue

TI6 alone netted them $60m from battlepass sales alone in a 2/3 month period....
>>
>>389271407
Sorry I played before open world farming was the thing. I quit around the start of the year.

Dailies across multiple characters were alright though, I was making 30m a week when I quit.
>>
>>389271532
tera is too much of an unfocused game that is too bogged down by cash shop mediocrity
>>
>>389271514
Nah, I had around 650 days. Mostly from just leaving the game running though.
>>
>>389271556
you're never forced to do dailies or timed stuff to stay relevant with content. just look at this current raid tier, beaten with crafted gear and expert roulette gear.
>>
>>389271532
Tera combat is fun, waiting 30 minutes in queue for an instance is not fun
>>
>>389271602
That graphic is over a 4 month period, January 2016 to April 2016, not a year.
>>
>>389271602
valve is one of the most tax evasive companies Ive ever seen
>>
File: please.gif (919KB, 170x196px) Image search: [Google]
please.gif
919KB, 170x196px
>>389271532
Tera would be fun if they didnt pull a fucking Dragons Nest and made classes gender locked and race locked. Some of the best classes in the game are the fucking pedobait ellins.
>>
They already died. However the top 4 will continue to survive. WoW, FFXIV, GW2, ESO. These games can do whatever they want. The mmo boom has been over for years so they can get away with most anything now that they're established. The next actual mmo boom will only come when you can do some actual sao shit.
>>
>>389271669
lets say that 50% of the time you were spent AFK and the other 50% was spent playing the game, that means you played for literally 7800 hours. that's insane
>>
>>389271532
of course pedos will think it is fun
>>
>>389271848
Those are not the top 4.
The top 4 are WoW, DFO, BnS, and Linage.
>>
>>389270986
elder scrolls online is buy2play
>>
>>389271864
It's an MMO. Shit like that is normal when you've been playing for a few years.
>>
>>389270830
It's unique but it's not the best. Takes too much time to do shit. It has a great quest system but that's about it. It's basically Skinner-box: The Game.

>>389271719
Nice excuse faggot. Look up what a skinner box is before you go "MUH RAIDS." Not once did I even mention that either.
>>
Pretty much the only MMO I had fun in was Tera. I had real fun with the combat system. And even that got stale after like 20-30 hours.

Every other MMO was pure trash, FFXIV especially
>>
>>389269819
I used to play on a fairly large private server along my guild before the retail servers went free. You may think that isn't as great as it sounds, but I thought it was a nice experience, we saw the game grow and go from a buggy mess to something as close as the real thing and most areas were lively as fuck with PvP and raids.

Anyways, why recommend Aion knowing it sucks on it's current state? I don't know if NA has it better, but the game is hell for EU.
>>
File: ninja .webm (2MB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
ninja .webm
2MB, 640x400px
>>389271658
>cash shop mediocrity
what are you even talking about?

>>389271727
get some friends then. I just play for pvp.

>>389271832
t. fag
>>
>>389271929
that's not normal at all, that's borderline insanity. you spent a ton of money on not only subscribing to the game but also paying electricity to keep the game on unless you're a NEET that still lives with mommy/daddy.

>>389271968
I know what a fucking skinner box is. When in FFXIV are you ever forced to do dailies or timed stuff? Never. It's optional.
>>
>>389272040
NA is alright. I agree EU is shit and nobody should play on EU servers.
>>
>>389272196
You don't know what a skinner box is if you keep saying "forced." Fuck off retard.
>>
>>389270408
you'll never get my potions, you're not strong enough
>>
>>389272196
>that's not normal at all,
fuck off retard MMOs are by far the most played games, because people treat them as chat rooms of afk background music
>>
>>389270320
This honestly works for me. I don't like playing an mmo all the time. I get the itch, I sub for a couple months then I quit. And I wager there are more of me than there are of the hardcores.
>>
>>389272196
XIV has been out for nearly 7 years my dude. It's not abnormal to find people with playtime in the tens of thousands of hours.
>>
I think majority of the player base in MMOs want everything to be easy for them.

I was searching for someone interested in starting FFXIV with me from start to finish at a slow pace taking in as much as we could from the world and interactions with NPCs. I found a lot of people who were more interested in rushing to level up for the expansion.

The magic seems to be mostly gone because a lot of people look up guides on how to do something before they figure it out for themselves. I used to love the sense of accomplishment in a game when I discovered something and was able to do something others weren't unless they found it too.
>>
File: Yokai_Forum.png (29KB, 592x283px) Image search: [Google]
Yokai_Forum.png
29KB, 592x283px
>>389270320
By this logic you shouldn't charge monthly if you don't expect people play month to month when there's large gaps you're not providing them content to keep them wanting to play your game over the competition.
>>
>>389272276
Okay dumb ass jit
>>
>>389258805
Too much focus on a themepark experience and not on players creating their own adventure. There's a reason people still play Runescape, and a reason PUBG is as popular as it is.
>>
>>389270408
So I'm curious, why does FF15 get the reputation for the party looking gay when Cecil wears purple lipstick?
>>
File: 14 year olds.jpg (33KB, 300x100px) Image search: [Google]
14 year olds.jpg
33KB, 300x100px
>>389272435
That's what I thought you stupid cunt. Go be stupid elsewhere
>>
>>389272420
no ones forcing you to pay every month. like me I only subscribe for major expansion releases. after that I unsub for 9-12 months and when I come back I got loads of stuff to do
>>
>want to play Tera
>got lost in a dungeon
>can't be assed to figure it out

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
>>
>>389272068
t.pedo
>>
>>389272364
>>389272276
>>389272405
MMOs by far have the most mentally unstable people.
>>
>>389272453
>PUBG
I don't get the appeal, isn't it just people running around killing each other?
>>
MMORPGs need to build a community to work, and that requires strangers communicating with each other in the game. However, this is nearly impossible in modern times because most communication in an MMO happens outside the game in a third-party program the moment you join a guild. MMOs are now less a community and more a series of non-interacting cliques.
>>
>>389272537
reply to me again and it confirms that you eat dicks
>>
>>389272580
Tera dungeons are fucking linear how dumb can you be.
>>
>>389272662
Easily, just like how FPS/MOBAs tend to have people with anger issues or at least cause people to get angry. MMO's are for people who have too much free time because they're neets or 3rd worlders and have social-issues. Just look at the people who play FFXIV, erping assholes
>>
File: 1469992594017.jpg (38KB, 339x338px) Image search: [Google]
1469992594017.jpg
38KB, 339x338px
>>389271532
>Playing Elin
>>
You've got to put in a lot of time and effort into MMORPGs. Most people don't have time to do that for more than one game.
>>
>>389259069
Diablo 2 was good tho
And no facebook elements
>>
Because the playerbase are full of prissy goldilocks
>>
>>389270320
He is completely right. Fuck everyone that treats MMOs like a job or you must log in every day.
>>
File: wowrp.png (364KB, 533x516px) Image search: [Google]
wowrp.png
364KB, 533x516px
>>389272829
You should see WoW erp. With 10 million subscribers at one point, you're bound to see at least 30% of that amount being crazy.
>>
>>389272196
Like 60h a week of login time is pretty damn average for an MMO even if you are working and aren't all that dedicated about it.
That's already around over 3k hours a year.
If you've been playing for 3 or 4 years those 10k hours are not an outlandish amount at all.
>>
>>389272332
but shopkeeper, im going into battle and i require your strongest potions
>>
>>389271532
Battlegrounds are too laggy for skill based pvp. Locking classes is fucking retarded. Elin pickers are scum and I used to kill and camp them and panda fags on sight.
>>
>>389273098
>Like 60h a week of login time is pretty damn average for an MMO
what the fuck? no it's not. that's for hardcore players, not casuals.
>>
>>389273098
>60h week if you are working and aren't dedicated
No. I think your mind has been warped lad because that's not normal at all. That's over 8 hours a day on average. That's the sign of someone addicted to the game, whether they enjoy it or not is another story.
>>
>>389273098
dude I work 40 hours in a week, 60 hours a week for a video game is insane.
>>
>>389273098
60h a week is not average you fucking neet
>>
>>389273364
>>389273346
>>389273273
>>389273418
babby casual shitters detected
>>
>>389273273
You come home from work, you log in, you chat a bit, you leave the game running until you are about to go to bed or watch a movie or something. Login time does not equal playtime by any means, they are glorified chat programs, that's a large part of them. You leave them running in the background while you go about your day and do other shit.
>>
>>389261712
>Archeage for example, could've been fantastic game
;_;
>>
>>389272662
>>389272829
MMOs have lots of girl players who are just insane by default.
>>
>>389273449
nah lad, I'm not not a retard who devotes his time to playing a game for thousands of hours. I'm not 13 anymore. Most I had was 300-400 hours in factorio over the course of multiple months.
>>
>>389273196
>Elin pickers are scum
game literally forces you to play as that disgusting shit to be competitive
I couldn't stand it so I left
>>
>>389273478
why do people leave the game running even when you're not playing? you're wasting electricity and your computer gets slower as the game is still using CPU,RAM,GPU in the background. if you're that worried about load times when relogging then get a fucking SSD
>>
>>389270320
He's right, alot of stigma from Korean MMOs back then was they were meant to be played 4-6 hours MINIMUM
>>
>>389273449
>60h a week if you have a job and arent all that dedicated
>72h remaining if you sleep 8h a day and work 40h a week
>80% of your time not including eating, hygiene, literally anything else but the game is devoted to playing the game
>arent all that dedicated

alright buddy, you need help
>>
File: ultrakillarie.webm (3MB, 960x600px) Image search: [Google]
ultrakillarie.webm
3MB, 960x600px
>>389273196
>Battlegrounds are too laggy for skill based pvp.
spoken like a true shitter
>Elin pickers
are you 12?
>>
File: ScreenShot0166.jpg (892KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ScreenShot0166.jpg
892KB, 1920x1080px
>>389273541
R.I.P. AA

I love it, but lets be honest it was not only P2W, it was buggy as fuck, unbalanced and easy to hack.
>>
>>389272665
>100 players jump off a plane onto an island
>Only goal is to survive while the safe zone constantly shrinks
The appeal is there's plenty of ways to go about it. You can win in every way from dropping into high combat areas and claw your way to the top, to stealthing your way to the final zone by being a sniper bush wookie. Death just being the end places a stake that makes living feel so much better. Instead of trying to be interesting, it's just simple shooting mechanics to master combined with simple combat that feels tense under pressure.

It's sort of what made Runescape so fun as well. You're just thrown in the world and told to have an adventure. Nothing else is told to you. You explore, learn what places are good to do whatever, and you build tense moments when all your gear is on the line in combat. There are no flashy moves to unlock, no story to follow, just you and a world to have fun with in any way you see fit.
>>
>>389273634
It has nothing to do with load times and trying to argue that it's a waste of electricity is completely laughable with how much shit absolutely everyone constantly has running in standby.
Modern MMOs are all about idling around, occasionally tabbing back in, chatting with someone that just came on or doing some random shit for a few minutes, and then going back to idling.
>>
>>389273798
Maybe they improved the server. None of what you're doing there is skill though. You're just mashing with a bigger group than them. Try timing a counter on their awful fucking servers back in the day.

No, I'm in my late 20s and 90% of elin pickers are garbage.
>>
>>389273840
>and easy to hack.
tell me more
>>
File: sad.png (136KB, 840x486px) Image search: [Google]
sad.png
136KB, 840x486px
>>389260092
why is that not illegal?
>>
File: apu.png (59KB, 658x662px) Image search: [Google]
apu.png
59KB, 658x662px
Brawler in Tera feels like the most fun class but I don't want the responsibility of tanking, especially when Lancer is the superior tank. Can it be played as just a DPS class?
>>
>>389273798
>Servers dont suck
>Nonloaded characters teleporting everywhere

You aren't doing a good job for yourself right now
>>
>>389273902
>a waste of electricity is completely laughable with how much shit absolutely everyone constantly has running in standby.

where I live electricity is not cheap and if you got a gaming PC then your computer will be pulling a lot more electricity than other components in your house, especially if you got a overclocked CPU/GPU running at max because the game is running.
>>
>>389270320
Yeah I agree with him. Fuck dungeon/events/raids/pvp that takes hours upon hours to do.

>new dungeon comes out
>months pass
>the best guild in the game needs 3h even for a flawless run

Look I have shit to do, maybe it's not long, maybe I can give 6h a day to the game but not in a single time.

>>389273960
Everything was client side. Within days if not hours of launch hackers could teleport around and instantly claim every houses, every resources, etc.
>>
>>389273902
I could understand botting and leaving your game running, but having the game running for 4 hours then tab in to say something for 1 minute then fuck off for another 4 hours is retarded. Just close the fucking game
>>
>>389273798
what a shitfest
>>
>>389273896
I looked into the game a bit more but the top 15 reviews were people saying they enjoyed the game until they got banned for "stream sniping" for killing a popular streamer
That sounds like total horse shit and I would be pissed if I got banned for killing some faggot who thinks he's god at a game and can't die so he cries to the devs with zero evidence
>>
>>389274050
The fuck kind of MMO are you playing that actually stresses your GPU? XIV maxed out only takes like 20% of my 770 when nothing is happening and that's not a high end card by any means.
They are made to be extremely lightweight and run on almost every machine. That's kind of the point.
>>
>>389274194
>That sounds like total horse shit
That's because it is - they're lying.
>>
>>389268292

hopefully ember will be good.
>>
>>389274208
Tbh korean shit can be a fucking mess. Bigger, more professional mmos are usually fine though.
>>
>>389269435
Thats bullshit tho, plenty of games have constant updates without extra money
only MMOs do it because they can
>>
File: xiv4.jpg (1MB, 3000x1688px) Image search: [Google]
xiv4.jpg
1MB, 3000x1688px
>>389274208
MMOs stress your CPU way more than your GPU and also you're forgetting that you got some people that play at 1440p/4k with mods where your GPU will always be taxed
>>
>>389273098
This is why I quit playing a certain MMO because I was playing that more hours a week than I was working and it stopped being fun once my goals became like work related activities.
>>
>>389273478
>they are glorified chat programs, that's a large part of them
people still do that? discord is a thing now
>>
File: Banished Walled City of Aurelia.jpg (706KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Banished Walled City of Aurelia.jpg
706KB, 1920x1080px
>>389274270
ive signed up but im not holding my breath. by the time it's finished i'll probably be close to 40 and i already feel the urge to play games diminish
>>
>>389274194
Some nobody on reddit complained about getting banned for stream sniping and said he didn't do it, so naturally reddit bandwagons and thinks a complete stranger is more trustworthy than EVIL CORPORATIONS even though the game's creator stated they had evidence of him doing so. Me and my friends have killed streamers numerous times in the game and none of us were banned.
>>
>>389274431
as a programmer i find this statement amusing
>>
File: read and executed.webm (2MB, 768x480px) Image search: [Google]
read and executed.webm
2MB, 768x480px
>>389273948
you have no idea what you're talking about anon, maybe your ping was very high but this is embarrassing.

>>389274039
I'm not arguing this, I'm just saying it's not an excuse for being bad. you can skill past all that easily even at 20 fps.
>>
>>389274109
>Within days if not hours of launch hackers could teleport around and instantly claim every houses, every resources, etc.
that's only mild one
I saw with my own eyes a hacker spawning several krakens in ynystere and killing them with some huge blue ball oneshot thing
>>
>>389273541
It annoys me that companies cant understand, if you break integrity of the world, players will not respect your world. I feel sorry for anyone on these mmo teams that understands world integrity and is constantly being shouted down by MBA pajeets who keep shoving business school statistics down his throat until he gives in.

For a better example. Look at my image and pretend its a game character. You would feel turned off If i told you the game revolves around paying cash to improve your standing in the game
>>
>>389274629
How can people play this shit.
3/4th of your screen is cluttered
>>
>>389274667
Wew, I didn't hear about that kind of thing. That's pretty bad heh. Then again I only played casually for like 3 days.
>>
>>389274565
That's still a dumb reason to ban someone even if they did do it
Don't want people to know your location on an online game? Don't fucking stream it then
>>
>>389273478
>>389273902
why not just tell people to get on discord or whatever chat program instead of leaving a fucking game running 24/7
>>
>>389273634
>>389274050
>>389274174
Leaving the game running while tabbed out draws almost no fucking energy you fucking faggots.
>>
>>389275030
if you play in borderless window mode, the game is still using full resources. your CPU/GPU by default can't clock down to idle speeds/voltages because it detects the game process running.
>>
>>389274864
and then there was a dude who teleported players battling around in freddy island until they got "hacker" debuff that prevented them from doing anything
I'm not even saying about speedhack that let archers vomit their volleys like gattlings
archeage was and is a fucking mess which is fucking sad because it was a great game
>>
File: blackpill.jpg (243KB, 1024x685px) Image search: [Google]
blackpill.jpg
243KB, 1024x685px
The more players a game has, the more likely it is to be infested with hackers.
People are willing to spend months developing bots or simply paying the Chinese to grind gold for them if they know the game will be socially valuable to people.

MMO developers understand this dynamic and try to limit how popular their games are.
The amount of people you have does not matter, all that matters is how much the people pay you to play the game
>>
>>389271532
Now if only they didn't do everything in their powers to shit it up more with every patches.

I stopped playing when they added normal attacks to bosses that are unblockable and un-iframable. A special mechanic that cannot me ignored? Sure, but a basic swipe that can't be blocked or dodged? Fuck that. If I wanted to run out of glowy circles I'd play WoW.
>>
Because integration and ephemeralness.

>MMOs are usually combined with microtransactions, or some sort of further integretation that ruins the isolated feeling of a new world
>Most people already have had their first rodeo; nothing lasts forever. Why try a new game to be great at?

Seriously, this is really the heart of it. I would honestly go buy WoW today if I could peel back the expansion to Cata or Wrath knowing that it had 3-4 more expansions to go through.
>>
I miss comfy mmos, uo survival project ragnarok flyff gunbound maplestory
>>
>>389270830
Runescape fucking sucks
>>
>>389274897
I don't really agree with it either but it was an announced official rule and not stream sniping is an incredibly easy thing to do. It's like when your friends made no screen-peeking rules way back when.
>>
>>389275286
I miss having a game that I could just pop into, play for a bit, and multi task it with something else.
>>
>>389275447
I do that all the time for FFXIV. It's not for everyone but it's good enough for me and my normie friends that play.
>>
>>389258805
They got too popular at one point and then it all crashed down. It also doesn't help that MMOs are a major investment in both money and development time. You're going to be working on the same game for 4+ years. Even after release you're still working on it.
>>
I thought about playing gw2 again. Should I do it?
>>
>>389258805
>Dying

So no one in the world plays MMOs at all? All those players I see are just fake people playing?
>>
>>389275553
I find it amazing how much of a comeback FFXIV did. It almost bankrupt square enix MMO division but then they managed to turn it into the most profitable division.

I don't think there's been a single MMO but FFXIV that's been rebooted from scratch
>>
>>389276065
Sure.
Could have tried the new expac specs and part of the first zone a couple weeks ago though.
>>
>>389276184
Dying =/= dead

Its on life support now compared to its early-mid 00s heyday
>>
>>389260123
I gave it a chance. After hitting 56 you start to slow down on grinding so you start to look at the rest of the game. You realize there is no game.

>Life skills
All trash afterthoughts. Everyone likes to tout them, but they're actually boring trash afterthoughts that an intern could jerry rig up within a few days and make it look nice in like 2 weeks. All of them.
>Grind
Grinding games itself aren't bad, but Black Desert makes it boring as fuck. I don't even know why considering it has a nice flow of grinding patterns. Maybe I just don't like grinding in MMOs anymore.
>Gear
Gear is literally everything and so is rolling the dice. Not only to enchant it, but to obtain it. Got duo and going to tri? Whoops! Back to pri. Try it all over again. Oh those fail stacks you just obtained and suddenly is quite high? Sorry start all over again since you'll use it for tet. Repeat again for pen.
>PvP
Without gear you're trash. With gear it's a laggy piece of shit and if you get knocked down you're dead.

It just has no content besides leaving your game open 24/7 so you can get silver to enchant/buy gear/earn more silver along with grinding and you're just fighting for grind spots. You either get pushed out since you don't have the gear or someone gets you so low while you're on mobs that the mobs kill you making you lose exp.
>>
I've been playing MMOs since 1999. UO, EQ, DAoC, EO, AO, EQ2, etc etc etc

There's only 2 MMOs I'm even remotely excited for, Pantheon and Camelot Unchained. And CU is looking pretty mediocre (I'm a backer). Pantheon looks cool but I think it borrows much too heavily from just EQ. There's so many other classic MMOs to borrow from as well and yet... Still, what else is there?
>>
>>389276065
>Join FFXIV thread
>Ask why should I play this
>"There is no reason really we just want a asian WoW ^-^"

I give props to gw2 for atleast being different, but mmos are all mediocre "games" to begin with.
>>
>>389276405
You don't know what a genre on life support looks like. Check out the RTS or MUD genre.
>>
>>389276591
Warcraft 3 tunngle is still pretty active desu
>>
>>389276504
You must have went to the /vg/ FFXIV general. The /v/ FFXIV threads will tell you to play it for FF fanservice, the epic endgame fights, and it's the only MMO that's actually growing in players (they added new servers not too long ago to accommodate them)
>>
I would have loved/love ESO if they didn't do the MAGICKA/STAMINA system. It's literally the worst progression and skill system I've ever encountered in an MMO. Ever. Which is sad because I really really like a lot of what else the game offers. Fuck you Zenimax.
>>
>>389258986
what's the most recent innovation in FPS? the most recebt innovation in fighting games? the most recent innovation in 3d platformers? the most recent innovation in any racing/sports game?
>>
It's not even failing, though?

The MMO industry has always been just a few games dominating subs, WoW changed that because it made filthy amounts of money and suddenly everyone wanted to make an MMO. Now that everyone is all over sandbox and mobile, the MMO industry is just going back to where it was.
>>
>>389258805
They're not, literally every game is heading this way. We've went from singleplayer, to asynchronous multiplayer, to social features, to co-op multiplayer, the next set step is full on multiplayer. The way things are going, next get single player games will be unheard of, the closest you'll get is an ability to solo run instanced bits.
>>
>>389269861
Its because they had 2 expansions a year after the first year of it being out.

2 * $60 = 120
$120/12months
$10/month

The expansions were basically a hidden subscription fee, but implemented very well.
They never increased the level cap all the content was always relevant.
>>
I hope it crashes and fails, maybe then we'll get some interesting niche shit like we used to.
>>
>>389277127
Except companies do not to try niche. They go for tried and tested, this is the same reason MMOs are dying.
>>
>>389277127
Like what? Losing exp and loot on death? Camping a spawn for 6 hours for 1% chance to receive good loot?
>>
>>389277127
There still is interesting niche shit but for some reason people expect games that are niche to have tens of thousands of players and an amazing budget so there's no bugs etc. Niche means niche.
>>
File: 1461472462822.jpg (8KB, 160x160px) Image search: [Google]
1461472462822.jpg
8KB, 160x160px
>>389277193

...Yes, and when they finally die maybe companies will finally try to do niche again.
>>
>>389276591
RTS is a well preserved genre, you can play Starcraft,AoE, Red alert today as if they were released in 2000s

Once an MMORPG server shuts down or declines its gone for good. The only MMORPG that i think got immortalized through its fanbase is RO
>>
>>389277262

>He only ever played EQ
>>
>>389277306
Can't wait to go back to the days of old MMOs where only 100 people were on 1 server and it took 3 days gain 1 level and moving around the world at a snail's pace.
>>
>>389277127
theres a lot of niche mmos out there.
You just gotta look anon.
>>
>>389266767
Elder Scrolls Online.
>>
>>389277469
I've been poopsocking since early 2000s. There's absolute garbage out right now.

>>389277439
>Again he only played EQ and heard stories from his friends. Also most servers held 3k people even back then, dipshit.
>>
>>389277394
Private servers exist for plenty of MMOs. Even if those private servers get shut down, the server emulator tools are bound to be out there. The only MMO that don't receive the private server fate were absolutely terrible (Tabula Rasa) or the fanbase wasn't big/smart enough (Phantasy Star Universe)
>>
>>389277613
I'm implying about MUDs, not EQ you dumb fuck. Way more niche than your garbage Ultima and EQ.
>>
>>389266591
This is unironically how devs think.
>>
>>389259650
resubbed this weekend after a yearlong break. The game is fucking dead.
>>
>>389264692
Same is happening on Leviathan. All the shilling on /v/ and Reddit has brought upon a ton of new players. I think the game is the #2 most active sub only MMO now, only WoW is ahead because crack addicts want their fix from dealer Blizzard.
>>
File: 1503310119603.jpg (19KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1503310119603.jpg
19KB, 250x250px
Playing a dead mmo is probably the saddest thing you can do. I'm going through it right now with dfo and I'm sick of every party having at least one person from China making the dungeon lag like fuck. I started my ffxiv free trial to escape so here's hoping I like it enough to jump ship.
>>
>>389266767
You are too late to play D&D, mayyybe if you have like a small group of friends that wants to play together. Game is unfriendly as fuck, and content is ultra cucked if you don't pay, because farming turbine points is a god damn chore.

TESO is pretty decent for it's cost, like you'll get easy 200+ hours of content, but once you reach end game you'll feel obligued to buy the latest DLC or pay sub to unlock all the game's content. There's not that many builds, but enough to keep you entertained, and there's a decent enough variety in combat mechanics if you enjoy pvp. (Client is fuckhuge tho)

Tera... another big ass client, combat is still one of the best in mmo terms, I haven't played in a while so not familiar with the current end game, but I it's lackluster, it's one of the few games where they actually remove content with updates.... it's mostly an erp simulator, characters are hot as fuck.

W*, best challenging end game I've played in an mmo, even the leveling dungeons are somewhat hard, the classes are okish but not great. Lot of broken promises, probably dying, not the worst choice if you really get into it and join a guild and do shit with them, I just hope they removed the daily garbage.

GW2, is getting an expansion soon, I'd say it's worth trying, but I hate it with a passion, the way they implement new content and then remove it is stupidly infuriating.

SWTOR better than people say, people get scared because they sell you shit at lvl 7, and quit right after,and then you get it for free at like lvl 15... end game does requrie a sub, but if you're that invested to reach that point shouldn't a problem.

RIFT, Too long since last time I played it, you kinda want to get the expansions so you can play all the souls or whatever they're named, it's probably very dated.

TSW, fantastic quests, economy is a mess, combat revamp is still meh, I'd say clear all content and drop the game, a unique experience ruined by a retarded companny.
>>
>>389276184
>All those players I see are just fake people playing?
yes, they're just bots from china and turkey farming gold to sell it to the 1% of real players
>>
>>389271556
Unless you are looking for glamour and maxing out your stat then that make sense. But this game already make it easy to farm gear. Fuck Extreme can even be clear easily now. There's no point to go beyond that unless you're cripply stuck to the game
>>
>>389258805
>That old noob island map
I miss it already
>>
File: moodychen.png (220KB, 373x386px) Image search: [Google]
moodychen.png
220KB, 373x386px
>>389266591
>Make some actual sandbox MMO with difficult, memorable PvE encounters out in a dangerous world

Too bad every open world developer thinks PvE is a cardinal sin of game design. Every time someone points out there's nothing fun to do in these games unless you want be a total asshole they're called a casual and a carebear.
>>
>>389265568
jesus christ
>>
>>389278290
Just so you know the trial is a poor indicator of the full game. People meme about 2.5s GCD but don't realize how much is not a joke at Savage level.
>>
>>389276834
Theres a thread in /v/ right now and the first post are just "If you like Final Fantasy Theme Park rides." I dont know how its growing supposedly if half the people say they unsub and uninstall until next patch after a day or two or playing.
>>
File: 1446127699542s.jpg (3KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
1446127699542s.jpg
3KB, 125x125px
>>389272420
>he does play every thing on the last month before the last update for the next expansion.
you wasted money, that's what you get.
>>
There are four main problems for the decline of mmos. Rather, four things that are gone for good.
First, the innovation is gone. Plain and simple. There are maybe three or four different cookie cutter templates MMOs utilize, with one small addition each, to feel "different" (ie mounted combat, tame anything etc.)

Second, the spark is gone. Remember when you spawned in your first MMO, be it Ultima, EQ or WoW? While I did not pick up Ultima (only tried it on a pirate server and did not like it), I sure as hell remember my first WoW experience. Starting as a buttweak human warlock, meeting all those people (woah, I am in the same world as all these people??), and then going to Stormwind and that music kicking in. Or when you met your first and second Defias Pillager in Moonbrook?
I dare you to find an MMO that can repeat that spark. (or rather, I am begging you to find it)

Third, the community is gone.
Servers used to be small'ish communities, where people got actual fame or infamy, where your name was known, for good or bad. Now, we click to queue for a dungeon with a few others that we will never meet again.

Four, there are no true guilds, and there are no adventures.
Remember those people you loved playing with? The not-very-good tank who nevertheless tried his best, the resto druid who could not heal for shit and for the first time understood the concept of mana conservation? The feeling of running for hours, collecting ingredients to summon your new demon (said from the view of a warlock, but you get the point)? Now you learn this shit from the trainer, or worse, instalearn at the appropriate level. No character investment, and no friends to be made.
>>
>>389278532
1 player unsubs after investing 200 plus hours on their character. How many people you think joined the game waiting to take their spot on a popular server?
>>
>>389258805
I am still looking for a guild wars replacement
>>
I'd really like to play an MMO that was like: starting area is over, you're on your own now, explore the world and and have some fun.
>>
>>389278532
The expression final fantasy Themepark ridss means final fantasy fanservice. It's the 14th entry of the main series, so no shit it will have a ton of references. Next month is literally return to Ivalice.
>>
>>389278852
Ragnarok online classic
>>
>>389269474
I only played the first month, the whole cash shop was a train wreck, every week they would fuck up something new.

They introduced a really broken item in the shop that allowed people to reach gearscore levels in days that should take months, as if the regular shop wasn't priviliged enough it allowed you to get about 1 month ahead of everyone who didn't pay. The new item was some sort of stupid map, you would open it up and it would direct you somewhere in the world, once you reach it you would get a massive reward, like a fuckton of gold or super expensive crafting mats. The thing is that particular item was balanced for a 1year old+ server, so people could drop money and catch up with veterans (the game cock blocks you pretty hard if you rush to end game and don't grind gear early on).

Not to mention before that dedicated people were exploiting the trading market to get premium currency very easily, it was so bad that the devs had to block the trading system for a good time. So the people that were rich just stayed rich and bough those stupid premium maps, and the people that were poor stayed poor pretty long not being able to get premium currency for the overpowered maps.

They also handled their moderation and administration very poorly and banned key persons of the community who had not done anything wrong and had bought the most expensive founder packs.

There's quite a few videos about the ban fiasco, entire guilds left the game because of that, and that was only on the first 4-6 weeks of the game being live, i stopped caring about it and played something else.
>>
>>389278498
It just seems like every player is either a person that ONLY wants to PvP and will throw a fit if open world farming lets you get powerful equipment that will give you an edge OR a PvE only player that just doesn't want to play PvP at all I just want a game where it's all connected but self proclaimed "PvP experts" throw a fit as soon as they lose to people with good gear in those kinds of games.
>>
>>389258986
>FFXIV tries to do something different
>Fails miserably
>Remakes to be as generic as possible
>One of the most successful MMO's in history
??????
>>
>>389278947
Do you get playable Bangaas? I might consider buying the game.
>>
>>389278852
Runescape
>>
>>389258805
MMO of 2017
>>
only MMO i got into was silk road online, was fun as shit and i miss it. havnt been able to get into anything since
>>
>>389278530
My friend told me the game doesn't start until level cap. How long does it usually take and what do you do at end game, raid?
>>
>>389279241
MMO players think they know what they want but they don't. The fantasy is "I wanna be like one of those anime MMO MC's" but the reality is any game like that the hero probably won't be you but some guy that plays 12 hours a day and people can't seem to have fun just being some guy.
>>
Truth is. If they went more on the single playwr rpg route they would become popular again, and for the love of god drop the half turn based combat. We are not in the age of 0.1mb internet speeds anymore. Basically a mix of The old Republic +Tera (in terms of combining the mechanics) would create the perfect MMORPG. And add cosmetic loot and microtransactions just for the looks so you can keep the seervers alive but dont force subscription. There, genre saved
>>
>>389279393
How long it takes depends on you. You can rush through the game and skip all the optional content, story, etc and be done with the game. Or you can take the game all in at your own pace. As for endgame there's PVE, PVP, getting rich and making PayPal money, housing, crafting, etc.
>>
>>389279458
Mb speed has nothing to do with hotbar combat, it's clear you know nothing about networking as expected for a computer illiterate consumer.
>>
>>389276989
>FPS
I'd say Siege is an innovative FPS, utilizing highly destructible environments with an array of characters that utilize it. It's doing well for itself too, much better than CoD, the least innovative FPS series out there.

>fighting games
They don't follow a standard checklist like MMOs do. Every MMO that comes out follows the exact same cookie-cutter checklist that, at this point, only appeals to the same kind of fucker that's been playing them non-stop for years. Fighting games come in many shapes and sizes, MMOs just come in different colors.

>3d platformers
An all but dead genre, who cares.

>racing/sports game
Like MMOs, these genres persist because there's basically no alternatives. There's almost nobody out there creating fun or unique sports/racing games, so people that like these just eat up the same shit every year since it's all they have. You won't find anybody here arguing that sports/racing games are a unique and diverse genre spanning many fantastic series.

The current MMO model is fucked. It's one that prioritizes RNG over effort, microtransaction cosmetics over design, and size over depth. Every MMO exists to make a quick buck and fuck off, while the few that survive only exist to milk as many expansions as humanly possible before quietly slipping into a coffin.
>>
>>389279818
I mean a more recent mmorpg like Tera worked fine from what i saw
>>
>>389237428
>>389237428
>>389258805
If MMOs were dying then this other thread would be up
>>
>>389279165
>self proclaimed "PvP experts" throw a fit as soon as they lose to people with good gear in those kinds of games.
To play doubles advocate, skilled PvPers do tend to be better at PvE than most PvE players, since they had to learn all the classes to excel at what they do.

I'm looking forward to Chronicles of Elyria. The fact that NPC lives and character creation are tightly intertwined means developing PvE content is a prerequisite for a player to enter the game.
>>
>>389279916
At the core it's still a shitty netcode based game. Instead of mashing 1 and clicking a enemy. Tera makes you mash your mouse button and having auto aim for a target
>>
>>389280078
You wot. There's very few auto aiming skills, what are you on about?
>>
>>389280007
In my limited experience the players who are at the top of PvP are good at PvE but there is always an extremely large subset of "PvP only" players that just want to log in and start fighting people and won't just play one of the many genres better suited to that for some reason.
>>
>>389280206
There's aimbot programs everywhere for tera. The only thing you do is mash your mouse button and move using WASD. They don't ban for it because KOREAN MMO
>>
>>389280007
>I'm looking forward to Chronicles of Elyria
I wouldn't get my hopes too high.
>>
>>389258805
>Why are MMORPG's a dying genre?

Because of the gaming industry.

Back in the day games were done by a bunch of nerds who only cared about making a good game. If the game was good, it would sell but they also cared about it because they themselves were gamers.

Nowadays, this whole thing turned into a huge industry and profit comes first. Nothing else matters, just profit. They realized they don't have to make a good game to sell it.

They don't ask themselves "how do we make this fun", they ask "how do we keep people glued to the screen 24/7" or "how do we get them to spend money on useless shit".
>>
>>389280317
Why the fuck would you need an aimbot for Tera? You need to be up and close for most melee attacks and the ranged attacks are either mouseover lockon or a set distance forward.

The Tera proxy helps reduce lag and there's also ways to abuse cooldowns and such but an aimbot? What would it do, move your character for you? Or just straight out cheat?
>>
>>389280476
Dude MMOs were the invention of corporate big wigs. Everquest, the most early and iconic MMO was made by fucking Sony.
>>
>>389280476
>Back in the day games were done by a bunch of nerds who only cared about making a good game. If the game was good, it would sell but they also cared about it because they themselves were gamers.

Oh fuck off, MMOS arent made by a 'small group'
>>
Hey pals, I'm lookin' to start playing MMOs again. I played two months of FFXIV, but I burned out twice on the game. I'm not big on raiding and whatnot because I'm shit at video games, and I mostly sat around the FC house crafting and chatting.

What MMOs are good times for casual scrubs like myself? Should I just resub to FFXIV? Hang myself? Advice welcome.
>>
>>389280906
resub to FFXIV, make some friends, and do stuff. there's always discord groups and shit going on in party finder on primal
>>
>>389280906
What do you like to do if not raiding? Socialize?

I would never suggest FFXIV for anything. There is nothing it does well.
>>
>>389258805

They take too much time.
>>
>>389269502
Star wars galaxies did it first.
>>
>>389280906
I quit FFXIV and I just play path of exile

it sort of quenches all my autistic needs without any forced activities

it's not kawaii japaneede uguu, but it's alright
>>
Shallow/no character progression.
>>
File: mcchicken.jpg (36KB, 500x288px) Image search: [Google]
mcchicken.jpg
36KB, 500x288px
>>389281457
casual shitter
>>
>>389281072
I'll consider it, yeah. I'm a little miffed because I hear the new expac nerfs SMN/SCH, which were the classes I had the most fun playing.

>>389281162
Socialize mostly, yeah. I got into helping newer members of my FC run stuff, but I'm too lackadaisical to do well at raiding and shit.

>>389281525
I guess that's an option. I know a few people who play PoE, although it sounds to me like they secretly hate it.
>>
>>389281668
Pretty sure running babby mode content 1000 times for rng purposes is about as casual as you can get. I'm an expert in both casualogy and casualistics.
>>
>>389281713
SMN/SCH are really good right now. People meme too much. SMN does stupid amounts of AoE damage and SCH has the highest personal DPS out of all the healers.
>>
File: 1491569493099.jpg (148KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1491569493099.jpg
148KB, 800x600px
>>389280906
Mabinogi
>>
>>389278295
Does TESO have any real endgame like raids in WoW?
Been considering giving it a whirl but it sounds like the put a really strong emphasis on solo and story content despite being an mmo.
>>
File: nice.jpg (48KB, 592x597px) Image search: [Google]
nice.jpg
48KB, 592x597px
>>389281814
>I'm an expert in both casualogy and casualistics.
I sir have a PH.D in those fields. But yes, casual content is what is killing MMOs.
>>
>>389281985
isnt that the game that has a bunch of hackers and is p2w to hell
>>
>>389282006
Last time I played they had 12 man raids

But it's a game where every content patch changes a lot, not necessarily in a bad or good way, it just adds new content and the new content is usually the source of the best items, while not negating previous content, but doing the fotm stuff is usually the main focus if you're an addict playing 10 hours a day.
>>
>>389281905
>SMN does stupid amounts of AoE damage
neat

>SCH has the highest personal DPS out of all the healers
I heard WHM was king now? Cool if true, though.

How are the new classes?

>>389281985
decline, but thank you for the suggestion
>>
>>389261369
How the fuck are you finding people to play with? People are more isolated than ever, going to private IM services or mummble servers you need to know of before you can find them
>>
File: 1503011392838.png (797KB, 3300x3300px) Image search: [Google]
1503011392838.png
797KB, 3300x3300px
>>389259650
>The new zones from 7.3are never filled on my server which is one of the most heavily populated

No its dying hard. Blizzard fucked up bad on the gearing system in Legion. Really bad.
>>
>>389282142
Surprisingly, despite being a nexon game, Mabinogi isn't really that p2w. You can pretty much buy everything with gold.

Plus, there's also a private server based on an older version of Mabinogi with no p2w and 0 hackers.
>>
Is it just me or are people just less interesting than they used to be so there's less incentive to socialize?
>>
>>389278295
>GW2
They stopped doing the temporary content thing years ago. Months before the first expansion.

Thats the big issue with GW2. Everyone talks about it as if its still early 2014. Then they see seasonal content and exclaim "They're doing it again!" when its just holiday shit that every MMO does, just GW2 puts more effort into their holiday events so they end up bigger.
>>
>>389282707
>Is it just me or are people just less interesting than they used to be
I see this shit too. A lot of people are either bland, or tend to act the exact same way as each other.
>>
File: 1504487228758.gif (2MB, 408x400px) Image search: [Google]
1504487228758.gif
2MB, 408x400px
>>389270320
I would have agreed with him before Stormblood. But it looks like Stormblood is where that design philosophy really took root, and Stormblood is just really shitty in terms of things to do, difficulty, and gearing.
>>
>>389258805
The last one in that chat is 100% woman, no one else refers to their kids as army but adolescent women.
>>
>>389258805
They arent. They are already dead.
>>
File: 1484719419078.jpg (161KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
1484719419078.jpg
161KB, 900x675px
>>389282142
>isnt that the game that has a bunch of hackers
Not HACKER like you're probably thinking but modding is pretty big due to how outdated or broken the gameplay is. Dev don't care much because even they know the mods basically fix everything wrong with the game.
>p2w to hell
Some time ago Mabinogi became actual playable without needing to spend real money very early and has a shit ton of benefit for anyone under lvl 1,000, things you used to have to pay for. Add that plus events that give out free cash shop items(the usefull kind) and its like a whole new game then it was back then.
>>
File: 1504141233524.png (2MB, 1936x2044px) Image search: [Google]
1504141233524.png
2MB, 1936x2044px
>>389258805
Ok. So I'm actually researching on this, looking for opinions and discussion:

There are various problems with MMO but basically there are few reasons leading to them

1. West vs East - a lot of stuff from Asian MMOs don't appeal to westerners, and Asians don't understand the Western culture.

>Chinese and Koreans love kitschy (by western standards) stuff, big numbers and paying to show off. Westerns prefer to earn their stuff (aka level 60 in the city on a mount in Vanilia WoW). Westerners hate grind, Koreans want to buy out of it and still appear important.

2. Changes in the internet. Basically there's little of connection between players (including classmates banding to tackle the game).

3. Other games changing;
Old MMOs had interactive worlds - read point and click elements, now we have action elements or fps. Less punishing games lack of challenge, players quickly lose interest.

4. Less content:
OK CONTROVERSIAL, but
1 raid a patch in a WoW clone is much less content than 3-4 interchangeable grinding spots in old leveling based games. Games get boring after their formulas get stale. Basically good for an expansion or two. Lack of player interactions limit possible in-game scenarios. That 13 yo murdering you as you were about to ding was actually the thing that kept the game varied.
>>
>>389282707
>>389282889

This and also the worst autists and degenerates got more social/less shy or something becasue holy shit the amount of people I need to block wnt up a lot. Normies were always kinda annoying in their own way but at least they don't go 100% retard. Gay furry diaper ERP all over the place isn't something you'd see back in the days.
>>
>>389278852
ESO is literally this, it has a level scaling system now so it basically plays like an online TES game, only the harder endgame content is level locked
>>
>>389258805
because they were hollowed out by antisocial casuals thanks to WoW

the genre ballooned to a population that was unsustainable based on its core design principles (cooperation, socialization, persistent worlds) and developers corrupted all of those core principles in order to chase players who really shouldn't be playing MMORPGs in the first place. combat systems like WoW or FFXIV require very little cooperation via communication, the spammy action combat, solo-to-level-cap, and partyfinders reduce the amount of socialization, and these traitor-games rely more heavily on instanced content over a persistent world in an effort to stuff a shitton of players onto servers.

these people don't belong on MMORPGs. they belong on offline solo RPGs, but idiot developers don't give a shit because in the end they just want more subscription money.
>>
>>389276226
im sure a lot of companies could do it but why put in that much effort when you can just make the game free and add more cash shop stuff?
>>
>>389275161
what bosses are you talking about?
>>
File: 73SoAKeyArt.jpg (167KB, 951x743px) Image search: [Google]
73SoAKeyArt.jpg
167KB, 951x743px
>>389283267
The thing people forget was that those old MMO, like EQ were highly niche. People think going to that formula was successful when it wasn't.

No MMO was all that successful until WoW and it became successful by being the easiest. People point out vanilla's almost sandbox like feel, but the game hit its peak of popularity during late TBC and all of WotLK where peopel point out it became "casual". No, it was after WotLK that the market became flooded with loads of alternate MMO that people started migrating too. Yes blizzard hasn't done much to retain people, but saying "We need to go back to vanilla!" is stupid because vanilla, while popular, isnt what made WoW truly boom.
>>
>>389279283
no new races and as someone who plays im really hoping they dont add viera
>>
>>389282670
>You can pretty much buy everything with gold.
So is nexon dfo

Too bad along the way the basic commodities skyrocketed into world war germany/zimbabwe levels of gold
>>
>>389258805
Nobody is super keen to be the next bunch of fools to throw 100 million down the drain.
>>
>>389264935
>at nausium
You know you could have googled this, right?
>>
>>389281490
SWG came out 1 year after FFXI.
>>
>>389283267
And lastly but not the least

4.2 The stale formula of a threadmill. Yeah nobody's dumb to play a game for more than an expansion when any sense of a progress in nullified every second patch.

>>389283645
4.1 & 4.2 are about this; high player retention forced by an easy to get to, boring after a while formula created by WoW.

But I'm not comparing numbers. It's sort of impossible considering how relative these things are.
>>
>>389283645
>No MMO was all that successful until WoW and it became successful by being the easiest.

Lolwut m8 Ragnarok Online was huge before WoW came along. WoW was successful in introducing the genre to the entire US population by "Disneyfying" the gameplay
>>
>>389283645
all the vanilla pandering that the people who made wildstar did really hurt it, i think (excluding the fact that the devs were pants on head retarded and fucked up something every patch) a lot of people who play mmo's now wouldn't be able to handle something like vanilla wow back then
>>
>>389273541
What is another mmo where I can ride around in a boat with pals? But not a game where I have to grind for 100 years either.
>>
>>389283943
WotLK maintained stable population numbers for its entire run. Vanilla and TBC were periods of nothing but growth.

If the "New patch, gear is not moot" formula is what killed things, then why did wow always grow? Why did it stay stable all through WotLK which had 3 gear resets (Ulduar, tourny, Icecrown)?

FFXIV has the same sort of treadmill and is also growing.
>>
>>389284203
black desert online but it's a korean mmo so some grind might be required,but it's cheap as shit on steam
>>
>>389270320
He is 100% correct. The problem though is sticking to the old MMO formula of gameplay that's built around stats and gear to progress. They're just singleplayer MMOs with optional co-op when they should be a world with people to meet and things to do with them.
>>
>>389284121
Vanilla WoW was about easy mechanics, and difficulty based on needing to bring people and unforgiving gear drops. It also had a long leveling grind with lots of quests but not much in the way of directing players.

Wildstar had nothing but needing a lot of players. It went for vanilla wow, and hugely missed the mark.
>>
>>389283943
>high
I meant low or fast retention as in players change quickly, because the game's relatively easy to get started with but does not keep players attention.

There's more profit from people buying game + sub + expansions and playing a month, nostalgia buying the game again after 2 years than a player who plays since years.
and >>389284235 These numbers are sort of fake. There are less than 1million active players playing FF14. They just have loads of people who sub for a month after a break and repeat that after seeing a trailer or a new expansion. That's proven by stats provided by both FF14 and WoW themselves.
>>
File: squelch.png (403KB, 439x439px) Image search: [Google]
squelch.png
403KB, 439x439px
>>389274629
>round peg into round hole : the webm
>'jaja me am teabag'

Unironically retarded
>>
>>389284513
Understandable, its why patches tend to be near the end of a financial quarter. All the nostalgia subbing.

That said, many MMO do experience times of huge growth and player retention while having the same gear treadmill. Like WoW till Cata.
>>
>>389258805
Because all the MMO's are designed around the endgame and keeping old players around, rather than focusing on the leveling experience for new players.

Games like World of Warcraft will never get new players because all the expansion packs have ruined the leveling experience.
>>
File: 1488789068574.gif (1MB, 480x358px) Image search: [Google]
1488789068574.gif
1MB, 480x358px
>>389274629
>It's a anon defends his mmo of choice regardless of obvious flaws episode
>>
There's so many things wrong with mmo's its easier to ask, "What isn't wrong with mmo's?".
>>
>>389285068
Giving me the feels
>>
>>389284708
>That said, many MMO do experience times of huge growth and player retention while having the same gear treadmill. Like WoW till Cata.

Marketing and the model used keeps playing players coming. Simply, consider every patch being a small DLC. People who pay subs meanwhile are bonus profit.

To break it to /v/ terms
Monthly sub is around price of a small single player game,
Lasts 2-3 months so that's 2-3 "games" sold at development cost of 1. Servers cost too, but they're not as expensive as they seem. Most of MMOs have relatively small teams dedicated to patches. Count expansions are both marketing stunt (they're glorified patches) and profit boost.
>>
>>389279897
>It's doing well for itself too, much better than CoD, the least innovative FPS series out there.

As much as I dislike cod, you're wrong. Seige hasn't surpassed cod in sales and won't anytime soon. There's still a huge audience of young kids who don't seek much out of games but killing time and brainlessly grinding, which cod provides; still sells millions each year.
Infinite warfare was the top selling game last year and it sold around half of black ops three.
>>
>>389285291
TL;DR because I'm off to not get involved in posting on 4chan;

Just buy a non-sub game rather than a mmo and you'll get better fun for value. Some games have good multi added to sp.
>>
>>389258805
2 grindy no1 likes being told oh it gets better at x level so go spend hours levelling up.

Also most of them play the same way.
>>
>>389258805
Too grindy, too boring.

An MMO can still work but it has to find a way to make it interesting without a huge grind.
>>
>>389285438
Unless you mean better from a critical standpoint and not an economic one.
>>
>>389283541
Almost every bosses since the lvl65 patch has them. The most blatant example I can thing of is Lachelith's frontal tail smash in RMHM. You cannot block it or iframe it.
>>
>>389268221
>league of legends
>MMO
why should I pay attention to "Superdata"?
>>
>>389285068
Nothing, or close to nothing. The way EVE online has players basically run the whole world is cool but I think thats about it, maybe we could get a godlike game if someone took that and applied it to the old sandbox rpg model but I cant see how it could be done. I see nothing else salvageable about the genre now that everything has multiplayer.
>>
File: 1425422627962.png (11KB, 390x470px) Image search: [Google]
1425422627962.png
11KB, 390x470px
>>389265037
>>
>>389274760
and that's on lowest graphical setting too so everything looks flat, still silky smooth 20 fps kek
>>
>>389277439
>playing MMOs for the levels and not the people
Go back to your single player toys or kill yourself.
>>
>>389275161
Yeah same, I kinda thought it was awesome I could just stay in the danger zone and time my iframe right. It added to the excitement of the fight. Now I can't do that all the time so it became dull to play (in addition to fighting recycled bosses again).
>>
Every MMO is a grindfest that gets you just good enough for the next expansion, whereupon your gear is now deemed worthless.
>>
>>389274760
You can customize, remove, and resize the UI howerever you like except for the chat menu(or atleast I haven't found a way). Its kind of annoying though since it's the first thing you need to spend time fiddling with when you first login.
>>
>>389286414
And to add to that, originaly lancers couldn't dodge at all, they could only block, but BHS is shit at designing dungeons and soon gave an iframe to lancers too. Since then you always ahd to iframe some attacks, and the BHS just gave up and made shit unavoidable, except by walking out of it. At the same time they started turning tanks into DPS that just happen to attack from the front and tanking lost all the interest for me.
>>
>>389258805
Why is there the same thread every fucking day? MMO took the chosen one individualist gameplay and killed any sense of community. You can play every modern MMO without interacting with a single person. There is no consequence from dying and everything is pointless.

A good MMO should revolve around community and have a mysterious lore that players reveal by grouping up and exploring. Also open world pvp should be on all the time.
>>
>>389258805

Gameplay is reaching levels of mousou, which is a shit genre tobegin with. Most of the time its braindead. The ai is just walking towards you rotating basicly one and the same attacks without any reaction to what you do whatsoever. The only aspects i enjoyed inmmo is a huge world, player interaction easily archievable and fashion. Everything else is flaccid shit (looking at you gw2/eso/neverwinter/tera). Fix the fucking gameplay making it a bullethell shooter akin to some fractals in gw2 but with all enemies or fuck off
>>
>>389269072
Dont recommend this game to anyone ever again
>>
>>389286737
You can't remove the chat but you can make it pretty fucking small. Or use mods or the trick of renaming the game file associated with the ui element to remove it.
>>
>>389258805
Because we grew up and nobody has time for that shit.

I haven't played a video game in 2 years and I only browse this place on my phone on my way back home.
Some day, you too, will grow up.
>>
File: 1480184342922.jpg (75KB, 800x744px) Image search: [Google]
1480184342922.jpg
75KB, 800x744px
>>389287243
>>
>>389287243
Sounds like you need better time management m8. If I can find time for vidya with 2 kids and a 1h commute surely you can too
>>
>>389266705
This is a late reply but does that also mean that gear doesn't matter as well?As in your stats are equivalent to the best stat gears you can get sort of like GW2.
>>
>>389282889
Yep. Used to look forward to meeting new people in MMOs a lot more than I do today. It's all just either regular folk or yet another generic degenerate with no sense of subtlety
>>
>>389276989
>FPS
Mobility.
>>
>>389287243
Claiming you don't play video games should be a perma from /v/.
>>
>>389287549
Yeah it's like there's barely any nice people left.

>new mmo comes out
>make a guild, have a teamspeak/mumble/discord
>half the people are complete normies that manage to be more boring than plain yogurt
>the other half is a bunch of gay furry traps lovers who never shut up about it
>>
>>389287243
Yeah man, I used to do 12 hour binge sessions on mmos back in my neet days but when I got a job, I don't have time to do that anymore. Plus, my free time is limited and precious now so I don't feel like spending it on an mmo anymore.
>>
there are two types of mmo's endgame treadmills and muh experience
wow and eve are both 10/10 in their respective type so if you don't enjoy either then maybe you just don't like the genre
>>
Are there any upcoming MMOs worth being hype for?
>>
>>389287826
When people lack an identity that can actually build a life around they replace it with something they can. Today the average TV commercial is equal to the porn of the 1960s. This brought out sexual degeneracy to an all time high for identity forming.

As for boring normies. Well normies are boring, that's why they're normies.
>>
>>389288035
No big ones. There's a couple kickstarter ones that could end up promising but most likely won't even be worth trying if they ever come out.
>>
>>389258805
No originality and poor practices becoming the norm.
>>
>>389288106
I don't particularly mind normies. Sure they're boring and often not great but at the very least they're somewhat reliable and stable. Between a group of boring normies who can clear everyday in 40 minutes and a group of autists who can clear in 20 minutes but have drama and problems every other days I'll take the normies.
>>
I miss feeling like I was able to customise/build my character in a meaningful way (not just dress up). Nowadays everything is so streamlined with maybe a dozen fixed builds, it's hard to feel any kind of ownership of your character.

Building my legendary weapons in LOTRO is the last time I probably felt that.
>>
>>389288029
Is EVE still: you can do the cool shit untill you sit behind a few months of time walling?
>>
File: 1294093539766.jpg (45KB, 719x720px) Image search: [Google]
1294093539766.jpg
45KB, 719x720px
>>389258805
Because publishers keep making them pay-to-win when they hit the US market.
Because players keep fucking up in-game economy.
Because nobody plays the game simply to enjoy it and take in the surroundings, and rush through each update in under two days.
Because new players are too impatient to grind for shit and want instant gratification.
>>
You can only run starter zone fetch quests so many times.

They need to dump the current system for questing. That is the biggest killer.
>>
>>389282883
>GW2 puts more effort into their holiday events so they end up bigger.
Holy shit nigga for 3 years it had the same holiday events nothing changed.
Also they had a season after the 1st expac.
The game is still boring to play but they did scenery and jumping puzzles correct at least.
>>
The magic is gone. There's no more soul.
>>
>>389288456
This is why "balance" is toxic as shit.
It's one thing to make sure nothing is oneshotting everything and being broken, it's another to try and appeal to shitters
>>
File: 1487575098375.png (237KB, 443x415px) Image search: [Google]
1487575098375.png
237KB, 443x415px
>>389262084
>be poorfag
>work 10 hours
>enough to pay for game and two season passes

I hate being poor.
>>
this is a pretty popular thread so I'll ask here. There was a thread last night and someone had posted 4 screen shots of this dude explaining why Overwatch was fundamentally bad and really picked apart the game. Can someone possibly post them here? I was kind of drunk last night so I'd like to re-read it with a clear head. Looked in the archive but I don't remember what the thread was called or the cover image
>>
File: 1477650997512.png (136KB, 320x371px) Image search: [Google]
1477650997512.png
136KB, 320x371px
>huge mmo thread
>no one mentions tibia

Well...
>>
File: FF14 01.jpg (572KB, 2298x1080px) Image search: [Google]
FF14 01.jpg
572KB, 2298x1080px
>>389264692
I couldn't get any further. I loved it on release, but the fucking 101 filler quests for 7th Astral killed me. I made it through about 70 of them but fucking christ its just too much.
>>
>>389288603
The "holy trinity" needs to die and batshit classless systems need to come back to the fore.
>>
File: 1504548272001.jpg (13KB, 252x212px) Image search: [Google]
1504548272001.jpg
13KB, 252x212px
All the homosexual tops and bottoms that played tanks and healers respectively have grown up and moved on to real world jobs, leaving only autistic damage freaks looking up wikis and youtube videos on how to out autist eachother and ultimately having a fairly pointless existence.
>>
>>389288456
This. The way mmos now have everyone be a dps on top of other roles (if any) makes for a very boring class/gear system.

Since every mmo fucking insists on having solo content and dailies every classes must be able to do decent DPS and that really kills the variety.

In some korean mmo in the past I had a tank built for maximum survival. I could literally brush off raid wipes and survive standing in lava/poison while keeping myself healthy while peopel corpse-ran. The dps difference between this build and the "best" tank dps build was about 5% of the worst dps class so no one cared and I sved the day many times. Nowadays tanks do about as much damage as the middle dps classes or even more sometimes so that kind of build is not viable anymore.
>>
>>389288879
don't have that specific ss (or a hate boner for ow as I still play it occasionally with friends) but the biggest problem with ow is how restricting the game is on team compositions
tank and support heroes are so strong that playing without one on your team is just asking to lose and yet those heroes are the least fun to play
there's a problem with the game when standing still holding a button is one of the strongest actions you can take
>>
>>389258805
>XD DODGE MECHANICS ARE FUN!!!! EXTREME GAMING :3
They missed the point entirely with MMOs. I'm currently trying to get into GW2 but dodging just isn't an interesting enough mechanic to carry the entire combat system. Also, HP trains and other trains is not "group content", that shit is zerg content. The dungeons and raid suck ass and shouldn't even be bothered with.

It was really embarrassing how they thought GW2 was going to be a PVP hit. So fucking embarrassing.
>>
MMORPGs nowadays have become neutered in order to increase the user base and make sub costs worth player's time
>>
>>389258805

Every game/genre where the meta is the most important part of the game is garbage.
>>
FFXIV is successful, because people who have money to pay for a sub typically don't have the time to play all day, but FFXIV is a game that does not ask you to no-life in order to get to endgame
>>
>>389288972
/v/ stands for video games, anon
>>
>>389289430
GW2 is all about zerg content they really fucked up by removing the trinity making stacking and berserker gear the only valid options
>>
>>389258805
They're the soap operas of video games. Long, neverending stories and hardly any mechanical substance to justify pouring in thousands of hours without skinner box mechanics.
>>
File: PlanetSide2StateOfTheGame.jpg (60KB, 447x342px) Image search: [Google]
PlanetSide2StateOfTheGame.jpg
60KB, 447x342px
The basic gameplay was shit to begin with.

> MMOFPS
> Changing several key game systems constantly throughout development and onward into the live release
> Keeping the same campy, spawn-killing base design for the entire life of the game

> Letting a certain class ability set remain completely broken for 6-12 months. For all available factions.
>>
>>389285637
SuperData takes point-of-sale and transaction information from payment service providers, plus some publishers and developers, which means it can track actual spend.
>>
mobage make more money, are easier to make and in peoples mind replaced MMOs a long time ago.
>>
>>389278096
those are the only 2 subscription MMOs left anyways so being #2 doesn't mean jack
>>
>>389289183
I don't think the trinity is that bad by itsel, it's mostly that every fucking game tries to make everyone a dps on top of their own role and make everything else irrelevant. Tanks should be able to mitigae damage for their party, dps should have support skilsl related to their classes, healers should have tools to help other than just healing, etc. But nooo that's too hard for casuals, better make it so you can win by pressing 3 buttons.
>>
>>389289183
yea we need more games that play like gw2 lol
the holy trinity is a good system, an improvement isn't to remove it but add more wiggle room for characters to operate between to roles and just replace the healer corner with support.
things like buffing, debuffing, crowd control and utility abilities being the focus instead of just wack a mole healing minigame
>>
>>389288972
Because tibia is a shit game played only by poor BRs anon.
>>
File: 1290351065464.jpg (17KB, 292x302px) Image search: [Google]
1290351065464.jpg
17KB, 292x302px
I just want to explore. Explore without worry that some assholes are going to gake me the moment I step out of city limits. PVE is great, but go after the big guys, not the weak loners.

I would love if quest were more natural. Finding random items unlock quest instead of being told what to do by random npc #125. Books, notes, and npc gossip should drop clues about cool things to find in the game. Things should never be outright told to the player.

Properly setting traps should be the way to deal with monsters. Mindlessly slashing with an OP weapon gets boring quickly. Having the right trap, weapon, potion, etc to take down a monster should far outweigh overpowered-flashy-weapon that does the same damage as the last 12 that came before it.
>>
>>389289183
The holy trinity needs to be expanded upon, but if you want an actual fun MMO it needs to exist. Instead of DPS, Tank, Support, and CCs, add classes that can do Tank/CC with bad DPS, or CC/support with bad damage. Give players more options instead of making everybody DPS with one tank skill, one CC skill and one support skill.
>>
It's simply because there are games in different genres that have better formulas for providing both instant and long term gratification to players.
>>
>>389288972

there's a game named after a leg bone?
>>
>>389290483
Play Runescape.
>>
>>389290558
Proper MMORPGs were never about instant gratification, and the reason MMOs started dying in the first place is because developers tried to appeal to players like that.
>>
>>389288561
They had a new living season. You can still do that season to. It was not taken out of game.

Before the expansion, the living season was all temporary content, stuff you can't do anymore.
>>
I still have high hopes for the MMORPG genre, but the MMORPGs that are focused on combat gameplay, with raids and shit like that are definitely dead.

The next big MMO is going to be something that is much closer to something like Runescape than WoW, and I'm certain of it. Faggot devs just need to realise that instead of mindlessly copying WoW
>>
>>389274037
I haven't played since the initial Valkyrie leaks, but last I knew it'd definitely be viable in terms of raw damage. However, good fucking luck keeping aggro off of yourself and manually finding a party that'll put up with you DPSing (and keeping the aggro off of you even if you somehow manage to do so). It's not like Warrior where there's two different stances that allow you to fill two different roles.
>>
>>389258805
Developers killed it. People are too afraid to stray from WoW's formula so now the entire genre is stale because they're all trying to emulate WoW's success.

But people don't want to play WoW anymore and nobody is willing to invest millions into a failed game that couldn't launch or show interest.
>>
>>389285438
It is doing better than CoD. Siege is a single game receiving support from one team over several years, with a playerbase greater than pretty much every other shooter aside from CoD and BF. This is far more profitable in the long term than 1 or 2 new games every year, each with their own development costs for the initial release and DLC packs, each also with a fully voiced single player, made by multiple teams.

CoD might get more sales, but they're also far more expensive than Siege is, more difficult to manage, and they're also dwindling while Siege reached its peak player count on Steam just a few weeks ago, nearly two years after launch.
>>
>>389291403
Let me guess you need the first expansion and still need to buy the living season
>>
Why arent Korean devs play Wow, and figured out why it was a success? Why do all of them bombs hard?
>>
just popping in to say TERA is the 2nd best MMO on the market right now
>>
If you're an officer in a guild and a member is ignoring literally everything you say to them in PMs and in actual chat should you kick them? Even if they're friends with a few other members. Keep in mind I havent done or said anything to them. I just check in on them, ask if they need help, and link stuff they often talk about in chat.
>>
>>389292778
whats #1?
>>
File: 1-Lgpej3f9QB8gHjesiNKgGA.jpg (56KB, 641x378px) Image search: [Google]
1-Lgpej3f9QB8gHjesiNKgGA.jpg
56KB, 641x378px
>>389292445
WoW has been one of the most popular MMOs in Korea for 10 years now. Korean MMOs have been WoW clones since 2008.

What are you talking about?
>>
>>389292445
WoW is incredibly big in korea, has been since forever.
Their MMOs are generally either Monster Hunter-lite or WoW clones.
>>
>>389292445
Even if you made a game right now that copied WoWs formula and improved on it in every way it would still flop. People are simply bored and tired of that kind of gameplay. It's not rocket science.
>>
>>389292145
All I said was its no longer temporary, this is true. Stop moving the goal post when proven wrong.

Also
>Complaining that you need the newest expansion to get a games new content
>>
>>389258986
more like too much forced/shitty innovation
>>
>>389263901
bottom looks fun to me desu
>>
>>389261923
way to project there buddy, go back to paying to play XIV or Legion like a good little goy
>>
>>389258805

No one wants to spend the time to grind, everyone wants to be effortlessly snowflakey, time investment is seen as purely negative in most cases, difficulty in raids is always 2ez or overtuned for most players who have no idea what they're talking about, instanced content is preferred no matter how many people say they want muh-communication because those people also don't know what they're talking about.

Basically, Bill Gates needs to fund the next great MMO with unlimited funding while taking zero feedback from MMO players.
>>
>>389293182
TERA was a copy of WoW.
The main problems of MMORPGS is that no one can solve the treadmill issue anymore. If you make the content hard but rewarding, then you have a low playerbase playing new content and they become the e-celebs buzz.
What they have now with all these 4 action MOBA games like LoL, Gigantic, etc. is an excuse to use RPG mechanics, sport mechanic, e-celebs, and low content all at the same time.
MOBAs are going to be the things until someone figures out an even easier way to play games, probably a smartphone MOBA with MMORPG mechanics and an open world tacked on with some cool gimmick like Pokemon Go.
>>
>>389293839
>no one can solve the treadmill issue anymore

That's like saying no one can solve the problem of "Ikea furniture being shit."

It's Ikea furniture, it was MADE TO BE shit.

If you want to make an MMO that doesn't involve a treadmill, don't fucking use RPG mechanics like stat-gain, character level progression, or other shit like that.
>>
>>389294292
XI didn't have a gear treadmill for many, many, years.
It's just a matter of how they design their content and balance classes. Of course it's much less of a hassle to just give you homogenized equipment upgrades every tier, but that doesn't mean no alternatives exist.
>>
>>389293839
>>389294292
just make everything challenging but not difficult, make difficult content optional
then make gear horizontal in progression
both like how FFXI, RO, GW1 and lots of other pre-WoW standardization mmos did it
>>
>>389293839
>TERA was a copy of WoW
What? I mean Tera isn't particularly good but between action combat, rng gear enchanting, no factions, heavy requirements and not-normie-friendly art style I'm not sure what makes you say it's a wow clone.
>>
>>389258805
MMOs only succeeded because playing with a bunch of people was new and exciting
>>
>>389294593
It's a WoW clone. You've had to have played MMOs before WoW to understand what a non-WoW clone looks like.

Have you played (Old) Runescape or RO? Maybe SWG or FFXI? Those games aren't WoW clones.
>>
>>389292841
Whatever you play, anon <3
>>
>>389294840
I haven't, though I've never seriously played WoW either. Still though, Tera classes are even less flexible than Wow's and Tera doesn't have the same kind of progression as WoW. You can pretty much tackle the hardest dungeon day 1 of the patch and people clear within a day or two. I suppose of you take wow clone = only mendgame matters + holy trinity then yeah ok it is but then again almost every mmo is by that definition.
>>
>>389268221
PC gaming was a mistake it is nothing but trash.
>>
>>389269435
>you know what happens when there's no subscription money? Guild Wars 2, aka zero content pls buy our gems edition.
GW2's been getting a ton of content in the last year, I take that over paying monthly for no guaranteed content and then paying again when the expansion comes out.
>>
>>389269435
And yet its like the third biggest mmo ever and rakes in tons of money with an every growing population.
>>
>>389259069
This is it. MMOs have been replaced by social media. They don't work well because large scale player interaction seems to come at a cost of mechanical depth. The only thing tying people to these games in the long term is their relationships with other people. Social media provides the same thing without a tedious grinding game layer.
>>
>>389268221
All of those games look like games from 20 years ago and then PC gamers have the face to call themselves master race. They are a fucking fucking degenerates and stain on gaming community.
>>
>>389295248
TERA does have the same progression as WoW.

>I suppose of you take wow clone = only mendgame matters + holy trinity then yeah ok it is but then again almost every mmo is by that definition.
Almost every MMO is a WoW clone now, exactly. There was a time when the genre wasn't like that, and when progression wasn't vertical and linear too. The leveling process in MMOs used to be open ended, not quest hub focused. EQ introduced these things, and WoW standardized them.
>>
>>389295585
>hurr durr muh graphics
>>
>>389258805
Gameplay is shit so it needs to rely hard on the community which has a high chance of being shit thanks to the newer generations on the internet.
>>
>>389295594
Well maybe I'm misinformed about WoW but isn't progression in WoW based on longer, harder dungeons where you work towards being able to clear it to get gear to go the next one and so on? Add attuning and reputation stuff and mechanics and Wow plays much differently no?

>The leveling process in MMOs used to be open ended, not quest hub focused.

That's nice and all but what do you do in these games when you're not solo grinding? And what do you do once you're max level?

Every game is a "clone" of an earlier game if you push hard enough. One could say that every shooter was a Doom clone until Gears of War introdcued hp=regen+cover,t hen every fps was a GoW clone. But really even if it's somewhat true there's plenty of diversity no?
>>
If you ask me, MMOs are dying because round-based games are superior.

Why would I bother to spend a week fishing or chopping wood for an epic sword that does nothing but boost my e-peen when I can play LoL, PUBG, or Dead by Daylight instead?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FApd8q19CqE
>>
>>389296347
Always a laugh.

>Guys I am going to review these three mmos fairly and without bias
>Oh but I only have footage of GW2 because its the only one I play and im going to give it high marks in all categories
>>
>>389296070
Pretty much this. I love progression but most of us are rather sick of it.
Thread posts: 510
Thread images: 74

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.