[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are female protagonists overdone in video games?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 11

File: Rey.jpg (597KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Rey.jpg
597KB, 1280x1280px
Are female protagonists overdone in video games?
>>
>>389247478
Shitty ones are.
>>
>>389247478
yes, no one likes them
>>
>>389247478
No.
>>
>>389247672
fpbp
>>
fuck cultural marxism, jewish propaganda and white genocide
>>
>>389248626
Nice false flag there
>>
>buying Rey dolls
>when you can have a Kylo Ren one

What kind of idiot would fuck up this hard?
>>
>>389247478
Western ones are for the most part.
>>
>>389247478
No. I hate playing as male characters and there's too many games I'm already missing out on. Yes I know it's retarded of me.
>>
Why even have so many of them?
>>
File: nendo vs pop.jpg (192KB, 1152x748px) Image search: [Google]
nendo vs pop.jpg
192KB, 1152x748px
They kind of are, yeah. Most of the time a western game will have a female protagonist because of political statements, and Japanese games have female protagonists to appeal to otakus. There are few games where the creator simply wants a female protagonist with no ulterior motives in mind.
>>
>>389249039
astroturf post
>>
>>389249060
If this was Luke or Han they probably would have sold them all. Rey is just a crappy character with nothing memorable about her. The sad part is that movie critics will keep praising her for the rest of the new trilogy.
>>
>>389248883
Kylo Ren was the worst character in all of Star Wars, he was a rebellious teenager, literally an annoying brat, he even cried for over half the movie, and it didn't get better when he killed his father, that was just too edgy

I saw a crying little kid wearing a Kylo Ren mask a few days later, how fitting
>>
Yes, im fucking sick of them
>>
>>389249060
Either they fell for the sjw propaganda that everyone totally loves Ray and assumed they would sell, or they knew they wouldn't sell but were worried if they didn't stock a bunch anyways the sjws would launch a campaign of calling target sexist.

Seriously, does anyone like Ray? I mean actually like her, as in not just because she has a vagina.
>>
Hehahah, thanks 4chan. I now have more material for my Kotaku article on why gamers are still sexist. Because guess what, you all are misogynists.
>>
>>389249148
I don't know what that means. I just like being cute.
>>
File: 1442803607269.png (5KB, 381x321px) Image search: [Google]
1442803607269.png
5KB, 381x321px
>>389247478
This image is the perfect summary of western marketing

Shitty watered down female protags that no longer have ANY sexualization at all. Everywhere I see the women in games and movies get less sexier. Lara Croft, one of the biggest sex icons, is now nearly flat, Mei from overwatch doesn't sport the huge tits Blizzard teased from the concept art, Yooka Laylee promised to be a Rare platformer but forgot to include a Candy Kong/Sexy Grunty/Mumba Wumba.

Doubled with shitty knockoff brand merchndise that gets pumped out at an alarming rate. Some shit-head westerner saw how popular Japanese Nendoroids were and decided to make an even cheaper product for marketing at the ironic nerd.

Burn you faggots, just fucking burn.
>>
>>389247478
I was under the impression Finn's toys was the one not selling.
>>
>>389249110
Female protags that are done well are fine, like Lara Croft. As long as it's not shoe horned and the character doesn't spend the game trying to appeal to the YAAASSSS SLAAAAY QUEEN crowd it's all good.
>>
That's like asking 'are protagonists done in video games', cuz it doesn't matter what sex the protag is as long as it's good
>>
>>389249443
She spent the whole movie running to or away from things like a muppet with a stck up its arse and she has a slappable face. Before you say "that's sexist" I still think Kylo Ren was worse. The sweaty negro was just kinda there.
>>
>>389249558
>misogynists
That word has been used so many times that it has lost all the meaning it could have.
Might as well use it as a nickname or something.
>>
>>389249110
Disgusting
to think I have a friend that loves this shit so much and has been trying to sell me Star Wars sets because he found out I liked them
>>
>>389249443
The movie could have done entirely without her, watching Finn go from Stormtrooper to potential jedi would have made for a far more interesting story if they had embraced that.
>>
File: VelaJFG.jpg (46KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
VelaJFG.jpg
46KB, 512x512px
>game has "female protagonist" as a selling point; on Steam it's listed as a feature

shit

>game has a female protagonist and doesn't call attention to it

sure

>game with jiggle physics has a qt female protagonist in a short skirt and she's the only one who can swim underwater, constantly spreading her legs apart to open her short skirt; & can also carry 100,000 rounds of high-caliber weapons and explosives that melts BUGS into a satisfying goo

take my money
>>
>>389249301

But he looks cool.
>>
>>389247478
They are fine as long as they are done well: Old Lara Croft, Chun-Li, Blaze in Streets of Rage, Shanoa in Order of Ecclesia are all examples of great female characters.
>>
>>389250404
No, he doesn't.
He looks exactly what he is, a cheap Vader ripoff.
>>
>>389247478
>N-n-n-no don't make me play as a cute girl
Are you so insecure that you can't play as a cute girl?
>>
>>389249301
Kylo Ren being an angsty teenager LARPing as an evil dark spacewizard that he's nowhere near good enough to be is exactly what makes him an interesting character and the only nutrilogy character with even an ounce of depth to him.
>>
>>389248626
Gee, I wonder who is behind this post.
>>
>>389249110
>and Japanese games have female protagonists to appeal to otakus
I feel it's unfair to put them both in the same basket. There's a lot of instances where I've found otaku bait characters to be fun and interesting, even though I'm not the intended market.
On the other hand, I don't think I can remember the name of a single western-made female character from the last few years.
Feels like that period where games were all bland shooters with bland MCs, except now you have to pretend to give a fuck and like it
>>
>>389247478
If they don't force them onto the players and make a deal out of it, I'm fine. The problem I have is when the developers start screeching about it and say "WOW OUR CHARACTER IS FEMALE, LOOK AT US"
>>
>>389247672
This.
>>
>>389249301

>he was a rebellious teenager, literally an annoying brat, he even cried for over half the movie, and it didn't get better when he killed his father, that was just too edgy

being an in over his head edgelord IS his character.
>>
>>389249918

>I still think Kylo Ren was worse

like or hate him he had the most development of the movie. more than the muh diversity leads.
>>
>>389251005

what about when not the developers praise but lefties journalists do like with Hellblade?
>>
If I like the game's artstlye and the story isn't completely retarded bullshit (and/or kept to a minimum), then I don't care about who the protagonist is -- man, girl, space robot animal.
>>
>>389247672
first post best post
>>
>>389249689
New Star Wars merchandise in general sells like garbage. They alienated the original fanbase, and those were the people obsessed with buying everything.
>>
>>389247478
I don't mind female characters, as long as they aren't just there as a political statement, i.e. as long as their tits are huge.
>>
>>389247478
>implying that Rey is the protagonist
>>
>>389249443

That ain't how toys work

The box they ordered probably came with 8 Reys, 6 Kylo Rens, 4 BB8s, 1 Fin and 1 of that Hispanic pilot guy everyone is gay for
>>
>>389248626
what about virtue singlaiing, harp hording, anpiza, and concern trolling
>>
File: ea0.gif (822KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
ea0.gif
822KB, 480x270px
I like playable female characters, but only when they're actually decent characters and not shoved in to make a point. You don't make a character interesting just because they're different on there surface level.

We all lost our minds when CoCo was playable in trilogy.

Nobody on /v/ gave a shit when Chloe got her own Uncharted spin off because of what Neo Naughty Dog is doing to her and them forcing that black slut down our throats could also be because /v/ hates Uncharted, but that's besides the point, we all loved Chloe's ass
>>
>>389253114
>we all loved
Not since they backtracked and changed her look from Ellen Paige. No balls on those devs.
>>
>>389253197

Thus the use of the past tense of love and the line right before it clarifying there was a change.

Come on, Anon
>>
>>389247478
They absolutely are.
>>
File: 05.jpg (52KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
05.jpg
52KB, 1280x720px
>Western female characters:bad,are only there to make a political statement and are generally ugly and generic
>Eastern female characters:good,even if they might be fapbait sometimes they have some actual value to their character other than just being there
>>
>>389251107
Yeah and he's fucking terrible

I hate having to talk to angsty teenagers in real life so why would I like Kylo Ren?
>>
>>389248626
Friendly reminder that /pol/ loves female protagonists
>>
>>389253493
damn the confirmation bias on this fag boy god damn.
>>
>>389252843
>harp hording

What's that one?
>>
Not really no, but thats not an issue in videogames, most you can make your own character now, its movies and TV that is having a problem with it, and I dont hate women being the lead in things, its that when you cast someone SPECIFICALLY because of the current political climate it just feels off.
Also, turns out making a primarily boys franchise reverse and target girls does not mean little girls will actually take an interest just because the character is a female. If someone doesnt like sci fi I dont think even the most base retard will have their opinion swayed by the fucking gender and skin color of the main character.
>>
>>389253512
Millenials retain the angsty-teen mindset until well into their thirties. Also, they like to spend their money on stupid shit. That's why Disney created Kylo Ren.
>>
>>389247478

They're also done poorly 90% of the time
>>
>>389253493
everything in western gaming is very deliberately and openly politicized, especially portrayals of women and pocs
every character and physical trait, every action they take, every shade of skin color, you just have to know the tropes and know what to look for

japan just pumps out dumb fun shit with occasionally likable characters

I'll take japanese garbage over the other alternative any day
>>
>>389252843
English please
>>
Most of this "they make her female for political reasons!" is pure projection. Just because you saw a few screencaps of misleading Kotaku clickbait doesn't mean that every developer is out to get you.
>>
>>389247478
>when a game markets a female main character as if they're making a statement and not because it just happens to fit the artistic narrative.

Haha, no. Wild Arms 3 was able to do female far better than every single western release in the last 5 years. It turns out, when you push an agenda you lose site of your own morales and compromise your story to fit your new agenda.
>>
>>389254629
t.Mafia 3 lead dev
>>
File: hm.jpg (839KB, 2324x1230px) Image search: [Google]
hm.jpg
839KB, 2324x1230px
>>389254629
Yeah the Western games industry is perfectly normal and healthy nothing to notice (((here)))
>>
>>389255078
Just vote with your wallet. If a game looks dumb and/or boring, then just don't buy it.
>>
>>389255184
id rather they didnt have the forced leftist agendas in the first place so the West could start making good games again
>>
File: thefollowing.jpg (24KB, 600x451px) Image search: [Google]
thefollowing.jpg
24KB, 600x451px
>>389249301

>Kylo Ren was the worst character in all of Star Wars

What is the point in trying to find the smelliest shit in a septic tank?

The real struggle and challenge is finding a Star Wars character that ISN'T shit.
>>
>>389249301
They were all shit. The new start wars movies are the worst. Even worse than the prequils
>>
>>389255397
But most of the games that are trying to get social equality brownie points the hardest, would still be shit even if they chose to stop targetting the Neogaf crowd.
>>
>>389249558
Nature and reality are.
>>
>>389255853
nah. the ideology infests western companies and strangles creativity and work output through HR and just general left wing snitchery and whining.
>>
>>389255078

>Font that would normally be white to stand out in this collage is being blocked by an identical black one on top of it

This image is art
>>
>>389256058
I'd say your ideology makes you a bit delusional
>>
>>389250306
This
Finn was a more enjoyable character even though I thought almost every character in the movie was shit. Even the original actors.
>>
>>389256598
you dont know what my ideology is, if i even have one

try an argument snowflake
>>
>>389247478
I dont care what they look like. I only care about what they do.
>>
>>389247478

Not as overdone as male protagonists.
>>
File: 1501569981413.jpg (13KB, 326x326px) Image search: [Google]
1501569981413.jpg
13KB, 326x326px
>>389256598
>>
>>389247478
>male protagonists still the majority focus
>"Are there TOO MANY WIMMENZ????"
Call me back when there's 51% or more female protagonists.
>>
>>389257125
>le "women are 50% of population so they should be 50% of characters" meme

you should die painfully
>>
File: 1504366240080.png (55KB, 756x734px) Image search: [Google]
1504366240080.png
55KB, 756x734px
>>389256696

>Ignored all trailers and avoided as much marketing as possible for the new Star Wars film
>Movie starts off with a Rebel pilot and a cowardly Storm Trooper joining forces to escape the Nu-Empire
>Shit, this is a good premise. I might actually like this film
>It all goes down hill when they literally land down a hill
>Enter "THE CHOSEN ONE"
>She's a tough as nails kid that everyone loves
>She can fly the Millennium Falcon like a pro, knows it better than Han Solo, fight like a trained warrior and is super smart
>She can also do Jedi mind tricks like it's nobody's business
>It took Luke 2 movies and 2 dead teachers to get to that level
>The big bad in the film is an angry Vader knockoff on an even bigger Death Star, which was taken down in the exact same way but on a much larger scale
>Rey can take on a fully trained Sith with no problems

This whole movie was trash. No wonder Ford wanted out.
>>
Let's see...yup, a pathetic handful of people on Twitch are watching Unsharted The Lost Legacy and the new Life is Strange. Even The Order 1886 and Until Dawn had more life on release and the weeks after.
>>
File: 61404663_p0.jpg (698KB, 900x1222px) Image search: [Google]
61404663_p0.jpg
698KB, 900x1222px
>>389247478
>>
>>389248626
I agree, those are bad.
Thread posts: 85
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.