[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

NOSTALGIA GOGGLES GENERAL

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 12

File: Sonic1_Screenshot-7[1].png (390KB, 1136x640px) Image search: [Google]
Sonic1_Screenshot-7[1].png
390KB, 1136x640px
take off your nostalgia goggles, it was never that good to begin with. and would not hold up today.

filled with poor level design and instakill death traps and spikes out of nowhere

definition of nostalgia goggles

any other games?
>>
I think sonic 1 is generally the least liked classic sonic game.
>>
>>389241872
>hold up
Kill yourself
>>
Everyone agrees sonic 1 sucks.
>>
>>389241872
>nstakill death traps and spikes out of nowhere

>Mommy do I just hold right forever?
>>
>SONIC IS JUST HOLD RIGHT TO WIN BRAINLESS SHIT
>holds right
>SONIC IS IMPOSSIBLE TERRIBLE DESIGNED GAME NEVER GOOD NEVER GOOD
>>
File: BanjoKazooie_SpiralMountain.jpg (42KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
BanjoKazooie_SpiralMountain.jpg
42KB, 640x480px
Banjo Kazooie is pretty boring until about Gobi Valley. The first few levels are piss easy and can be beaten in about 1 minutes, the later ones are piss easy but tedious (thanks to lots of tiny little areas with like 3 notes in looking at you Mad Monster Mansion).

Rusty Bucket can go suck a dick.
>>
>>389241872
Tails wasn't in sonic 1
>>
>>389243756
It's the Taxman remake on mobile devices, you can play as Sonic solo, Sonic & Tails, Tails solo or Knuckles in it, he even added a couple extra bonus areas for them in Marble Zone designed for them.
>>
>>389243449
not even a TAS can finish the levels in one minute you fucking spastic
>easy means its boring
back to your corridor shooters
>>
>>389242138
>>389242330
>>Mommy do I just hold right forever?
>>SONIC IS JUST HOLD RIGHT TO WIN BRAINLESS SHIT

He never said either of those, but go on, pretend that your autism magnet is actually a well-designed classic, and not just an ancient marketing gimmick, that's only remembered because of nostalgiafags and DA autists.
>>
>>389244263
No but his dumbass sure did say "install traps and spikes OUT OF NOWHERE"

You're fucking retarded and shit if you run face first into traps because all you're doing is LOL HOLD RIGHT!
You're even fucking MORE shit if you do this then blame the game instead of yourself.
>>
>>389241872
Youre right. Sonic 1 is garbage. 2 and beyond though are pretty great.
>>
>>389241872
Why yes my fellow adventure fan with whom i share patrician taste. The genesis games were garbage with their shitty gameplay, level design, kiddy music and visuals. Not to mention the fanbase, amiright? What insufferable cunts those classicfags are, not at all like us adventure fans. THEY are the autists that give sonic a bad name; it's their constant bitching that led to the state of the franchise with all the nonsense 2D sections in forces and the existence of mania. Why can't they grow up and see that nobody wants 2D sonic games anymore? Sonic never worked in 2D anyway
>>
File: 1485710816325.jpg (56KB, 583x435px) Image search: [Google]
1485710816325.jpg
56KB, 583x435px
>>389241872
You, fuck off, to run in trap "out of nowhere" you have to literally just run ahead without slowing down even for a fraction of second. It's platformer, not fucking racing game.

>>389244263
You, fuck off, your post is made of memes, I'm not even sure if you are actual person or just a bot for shitposting.

>>389241970
>>389244523
You and you, fuck off, Sonic 1 is good game. If you can't handle Labyrinth Zone you should stop playing videogames entirely.

>>389244578
You, fuck off, Adventure, Modern and Classic can all exist in peace with each other, and they do, it's fags like you who stir up flamewars everywhere.
>>
>>389241872

The fact that you think running forward mindlessly is the correct way to play is your own damn fault. There's a reason why it takes a good 3 seconds after pushing the directional pad before Sonic picks up anything close to his top speed. You see something weird and unfamiliar, you slow down and wait for it to react or do something. If it doesn't do shit, you press on and avoid it. They're not platformers where you HAVE to go fast, they're platformers where you CAN go fast. Git fucking gud.
>>
>>389241872
t. Butthurt Bad
>>
>>389241872
>not hold up today
See, that's the problem with newfags and the "muh 60fps/1080p" kids. We don't give a shit if an old game has 'aged like milk' because we're not judging them on standards that came around decades later.

You can still point out flaws in them, but a good game then is still a good game now.
>>
File: latest[2].gif (278KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
latest[2].gif
278KB, 256x224px
>>389244427
But the whole game was marketed around going fast, and yet the game demands that you take it slow, even though it plays like a slog when you slow down, because of Sonic's pitiful startup speed. Besides, the game would be objectively better if they zoomed the screen out and placed Sonic at the back of the screen, so that going fast was more viable. Placing Sonic dead center of the screen while on the move was a terrible idea, since half the screen is wasted, and yet they bizarrely never bothered to change this in the sequels. It's not like this is an obscure design choice either, since DKC2, a vastly superior game btw, placed the characters at the back of the screen during movement. Gif related, a level which does "gotta go fast" way better than any Sonic level.
>>
>>389245137
>willingly putting up with shit
No wonder it took 20 years to get a decent sonic game
>>
>>389245549
But Sonic was never good in the first place. Compare it to the genuine classics which were its contemporaries, like Mario 3, Yoshi's Island, or DKC2, and it's pitiful by comparison.
>>
>>389245605
zoomed out... yeah you're a retard. visual clarity would go /down/ if you did that on such systems. then u go and post a game with less visual clarity as better. yay for humans.
>>
>>389241872
>it was never that good to begin with.
Wrong
>and would not hold up today
Of course it wouldn't, it was made 26 years ago
>>
you're wrong
>>
File: cwj.webm (2MB, 640x560px) Image search: [Google]
cwj.webm
2MB, 640x560px
What are some platformers with a heavy emphasis on momentum conservation that don't suck?
>>
>>389246457
Bubsy.
>>
>>389245832
>sacrificing the integrity of the gameplay for graphical fidelity

Yup, you're a Sonic fan alright.
>>
>>389245859
DOOM is almost just as old, and if you play with mouselook, which is almost as old as the game itself, it blows most modern FPS games out of the water. Sonic is just bad.
>>
>>389245607
>3d = Good

I can tell that you liked Sonic 06 anon. Just admit it.
>>
>>389247105
No anon. I liked unleashed.
>>
>>389241872
Mario
>>
>>389241872
If you're talking about Sonic 1 specifically, then yes I agree. It was never that great.

If you're talking about Classic Sonic in general? You couldn't be more wrong. There's scarce few instakills or "spikes out of nowhere" in S2, 3K, CD and Mania
>>
>>389246905
Doom always had mouselook, it was just clunky in the original game even more so because nobody used optical mice
>>
>>389246665
>this is what antisonic posters actually believe
all credibility is now lost
>>
>>389246457
Gimmick
>>
>>389241872
>difficulty now means bad level design
woah so this is the power of Gen Z...
>>
>>389247640
Fair enough, but mouselook and disabled auto-aim work wonderfully in GZDOOM. Regardless, DOOM may have a few wrinkles here and there, but with a little bit of polish, it plays like a dream in the current year. Sonic, by contrast, is unsalvageable.
>>
>>389241872
>waaaaah this game that toddlers have played and beat for two decades is too hard!!!!!
>>
>>389248421
>not understanding that that's part of the problem
>>
>>389247914
He didn't say it was bad because of difficulty, but whatever, say whatever you need to tell yourself to enjoy your obsolete marketing gimmick.
>>
Sonic 2 and 3 are fine, but sonic 1 is actually bad.
>>
>>389241872
Sonic 1 is still the best sonic.
Of course nintendo fans casuals are mad at it
>>
File: nicetry.png (108KB, 266x286px) Image search: [Google]
nicetry.png
108KB, 266x286px
>>389247914
>tfw dark souls is one of this generation's most beloved franchises
>>
>>389241872
>take off your nostalgia goggles, it was never that good to begin with. and would not hold up today.

A new game literally just came out with the same gameplay and level design philosophy and it's being praised left and right.
>>
>>389248730
The problem with sonic 1 is that Sega built their levels to imitate something like mario, while still lying to the audience saying that it's about speed over platforming. That's why people like 2 and 3 more, because the stages are actually designed to be fast-paced.
>>
>>389248763
Good point. Dark Souls, in direct comparison with Sonic, is deep, complex, well-designed, and rewarding. It's an autism magnet too, but it's the productive type of autism, the type that put man on the moon. Sonic is the type of autism that just shits the bed.
>>
>>389248979
>Soulstism put man on the moon
>this is what Soulsfags actually believe
>>
>>389241897
>>389241970
>>389248689
Sonic 1 isn't bad, but it's not that amazing. It's like a 6/10 game really, 2 and up did the whole Sonic thing much better.
>>
>>389249052
No it's not bad. but i don't think it's good enough to have every fucking sonic game copy its first level.
>>
>>389248948
I love the "marketing" strawman that people use to justify the game being bad.
There are levels you go fast (which is almost the entire game) and parts you are slow. And the game itself does a pretty good job explaining this.
>>
File: 387.png (191KB, 482x372px) Image search: [Google]
387.png
191KB, 482x372px
>5 years ago
>LOL Sonic is too easy
>Hold right to win XD!
>I can beat GHZ in 25 seconds in my sleep
>Why is Amy so cute?

>Now
>Sonic was never good
>There's spike, enemies and instant death traps everywhere. Completely unavoidable
>I game overed 50 times at Oil Ocean. Poor level design all around tbhfam
>I want to fuck Tails
>>
>>389241872
I played the first one after trying it years ago and thinking it was boring

I now know why. You can't spin dash, which is one of the best additions to the series
>>
File: 2581.jpg (76KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
2581.jpg
76KB, 500x500px
>>389249207

I have this weird feeling that a lot of people tried the GBA version and only the GBA version.
>>
>>389249207
/v/ is full of shit eating mongloids who will change opinions to shit on something they don't like(see>>389241872)
what do you expect?
>>
>>389249149
>Green Hill
Go fast and then slam into instant death spikes or a rock for some reason
>Marble Zone
Autistic weight puzzles and lava pits everywhere
>Spring Yard
Lot of vertical platforming and slow moving gameplay
>Labyrinth Zone
Don't even get me started on this place
>Star Light Zone
I will concede that you do go fast in this zone
>Scrap Brain Zone
Badniks everywhere, lots of obstructions

Yep nothing but blinding speed on 1/6 zones.
>>
>>389249042
Well, yeah, because there are so many variables and numbers involved, and it's very slow and methodical. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Dark Souls is productive. However, look at the Souls e-celebs, and it's clear to see that they overlap a lot with types that that pursue STEM and IT. Sonic fans just overlap with Chris-Chan and DA frequenters. The only Sonic fan that seems cool to me is SomeCallMeJohnny.
>>
>>389249207
>>389249365

A good portion of it is trolling, but I feel like there are a lot of people out there who just aren't very exposed to Sonic. Either growing up on Nintendo or being a younger gamer who didn't play the Genesis games and take in eceleb opinions like Arin or RLM seriously. It doesn't help that there were a good number of years where Sonic games were either of mixed quality or just bad, when many viewed the series as a joke and even old fans became disillusioned.
>>
File: clap.gif (787KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
clap.gif
787KB, 480x360px
>>389249539
Primo bait my dude
>>
>>389248948

>Levels designed like Mario

The fuck are you on about?

The fuck is every one of you jackasses on about too?

There's a total of 4 acts that are slow. 1 Marble act, 2 Labyrinth acts and 1 Scrap Brain. I hate more than faggots who claim Sonic can't go fast in these zones when you're still perfectly capable of blazing them. Maybe not at top speed but you're constantly moving and keeping the pace fast. The only thing I hate more are the faggots who use the go to marketing defense. "YOU JUST FELL FOR THE MARKETING MEME! SONIC IS ACTUALLY A PLATFORMER FIRST!" man fuck off. Going fast is the objective. That's why the game is so fucking replayable. You keep playing to go faster every time.
>>
File: aku.gif (2MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
aku.gif
2MB, 480x360px
>>389249954
>Oh golly gee whizz it sure is fun to play a boring game 10 times over and getting marginally faster at it every time!

Are you actually this autistic or just a speedrunner?
>>
>>389249124
Angle Island and Mushroom Hill are fairly different. At this point it's just a tradition really. Not one that I like but hey, what can you do.

>>389248979
Sonic 2, 3 Knuckles, CD, and Mania are fantastic platformers with wildly unique momentum based platforming and giant stages with multiple paths. They're great games that are a must play if you like platformers in any capacity.

>>389249696
This is very true. Plus Sonic is fairly unqiue as far as platformers go, so someone trying to hop into the series for the first time will probably have a hard time completing the game.

Watching Vinny play Sonic 3 and Knuckles is like a nightmare. He needs to use save states and he has someone else do the blue sphere stages for him. Some people just legit have a super hard time playing Sonic.

https://youtu.be/2Rs35yd2Jg4?t=3793
>>
>>389250098
If it's boring to you for some other reasons then talk about said reasons. If it's boring to you because you can't go fast all the time without putting effort then your argument is a joke.
>>
>>389250316
It's boring because you want the satisfaction of going fast but the game doesn't let you without playing the game over and over like a retard, why would I choose to do that when other games let me go fast and get that same satisfaction in my first playthrough?
>>
>>389250098
Depends on the game.
A game which is fun to play the first time and rewarding to replay is a great game. Sonic doesn't really get fun until you know what to expect.
>>
>>389250439
Because speed by itself isn't very interesting or satisfying, it's the contrast between being slow and awkward when starting out and fast and fluid when you're experienced that makes going fast enjoyable
>>
>>389241872
early wow expansions are massive case of nostalgia goggles
>>
>>389250840
early versions*
its alright if you like that type of game but to sit their in belief that they were overall better is just insanity
they were better in 2-3 things out of 10.
>>
>thread about video games
>People are so desperate to talk about ecelebs that they shoehorn them in, rather than giving their own opinion.
I'll never understand this.
>>
>>389250691
>Get out of slow, boring part
>Start speeding up a little
>Smile starts to appear on my face
>Run into spike pit, get crushed, go up hill and lose all your momentum, or run into another boring platforming section
>Smile drops into frown

>90% of my sonic 1 playthrough

Like I said the levels aren't designed well enough to fit sonic, if they were then why would they have changed the format and gameplay so much in the sequels?
>>
Which classic sonic is the hardest one?
It's really hard to decide for me.
1 has labyrinth and scrap brain, and personally I feel it was the hardest for me. I had to master momentum, no spin dash, scrap brain was lethal.
2 has the cheapest ending section.
3&k and mania have bigger levels and more bosses.
>>
Super Mario World features more bullshit design choices in levels than any 2D Sonic game.
>>
>>389250691
>Hey you need to have your legs broken before you can truly enjoy being able to walk.
>>
>>389251172
1 by far
The final boss of 2 is easy, you just have to take it slow and only hit it while it's crouching. It's much harder if you try to kill it fast and doing it fast as knuckles is nightmare mode
>>
>>389251249
He has a point. You don't start a GTA game off with a plane, you have to be slow enough that you can appreciate the details of the world before blazing through it.
I don't think the point applies to Sonic exactly.
>>
>>389250134
It's weird seeing all these players struggling with Sonic recently. I guess it really is something you have to grow up with.
>>
>>389246791
right right... you're a fucking retard.
>>
>>389249124
It's not copied because it's good, it's copied because being the first level in the series made it iconic.
>>
>>389241921
AYO HOL UP, SO YOU BE SAYIN
>>
>>389251197
How so? Don't use spoilers like a passive aggressive bitchboi, elaborate.
>>
>>389251387
It's probably because most of these people grew up with mario and thus expect other platformers to conform to some variant of that style; when, sonic was really always quite different and is one of the few popular platformers I can think of to really have such a distinct separation from everything else. Hell, even the visual cues for each level are very distinct from how mario or metroid clue the player into their more dangerous sections.
>>
>>389251249
Yes if you for some reason have to re-learn walking you will most likely enjoy seeing yourself improve immensely and get greater enjoyment from it than the average person who takes it for granted. It's pretty obvious
>>
File: 1502582377542.png (35KB, 253x238px) Image search: [Google]
1502582377542.png
35KB, 253x238px
Sonic CD level designs fucking suck and make me as nauseated as Blue Sphere levels
>>
>>389251249
More like you have to learn how step up before you can enjoy being able to run. Like in real life.
>>
>>389251281
Anon, you talk as someone that replays them often. I am talking about difficulty by an objective point of view, including normalfags.
Alot of people seem to had trouble with Mania, and thinking of it Mania could easily be even harder then 1 for someone trying sonic for the first time.
>>
>>389251172
1 has some of the hardest level sections and it starves you of lives and continues, so my vote goes to that.
2 gives you a continues left and right, but it has the hardest chaos emerald stages in my opinion.
3 isn't all that hard. Getting the emeralds are easy and you get a ton of bonus stages that will fill you up on lives and continues in no time.
Mania felt pretty balanced on difficulty to me. Nothing too cheap and not too easy either. Dropped to 1 life a few times but never got a game over.
>>
File: file.png (149KB, 300x208px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
149KB, 300x208px
>>389241872
This game controls like ass in the overworld. Platforming with this perspective is not fun. Literally everything this game was improved on by Paper Mario.
>B-b-b-but my hidden blocks that I have to autistically jump around every room to find
>B-b-b-b-b-b-but my super hidden secrets that the guide book tol- I mean I totally found on my own
>>
>>389251664
I didn't mind the level design in it too much, but the time travel mechanic and having to explore every inch of the level for the good ending was a pain.
>>
>>389241872
Fuck off retard.
I just played it and it holds up fucking fine.
>>
>>389241872
Please stay genius. I just played it and it doesn't hold up at all.
>>
>>389251387
>I guess it really is something you have to grow up with.
I don't buy that bullshit at all because I never even touched Sonic before a week before Mania's release where I played the Genesis games and I didn't struggle at fucking all. Everybody just plain fucking sucks at anything that requires a modicum of thinking beyond "this is Mario, I'm going to Mario now".
>>
>>389251596
Ghost Houses in particular feature a lot of trial and error.
>>
>>389250134
That video was physically painful to watch. How the fuck does one sucks that much ?
>Dying on the side scroller in angel islands
Is that even possible ?
>"hurr why do you have to lose all your rings when you get hit ?"
>Does not even notice the drowing countdown and saves himself inadvertently by getting an aqua shield

Then again, I checked his channel and he seems to only play shitty nintendo games so... I guess it adds up.
>>
>>389252174
Well yeah, he is, he's not as bad as other fanboys but this definitely makes it clear that a lot of the people that shit on Sonic are just bad at it.
>>
>>389241872
You are 100% correct. Literally the worst franchise still going today despite its publisher doing everything to kill it off at every possible opportunity. I deluded myself into liking some of them for a while but when I actually took a step back (and out of the playground) it became plainly evident. They are the Pain of their age. Games led by marketing. They are mechanically awful, poorly designed pieces of garbage.
Thread posts: 94
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.