[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tfw arcades are dead What went wrong?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4

File: arcade.jpg (269KB, 1024x716px) Image search: [Google]
arcade.jpg
269KB, 1024x716px
>tfw arcades are dead

What went wrong?
>>
*crickets*
>>
It's really simple . Remember how the NeoGeo was expensive for his time ? That's because it could run games like they were in Arcade . We couldn't mass produce and sell at a "family friendly" price game with "Arcade-quality" . but now the arcade can't make better graphics than our actual consoles .
>>
>>389240814

>people stopped having money to burn on arcades
>people stopped wanting to interact with other human beings
>people stopped wanting to go to these sketchy ass places that weren't usually that safe

Look, I miss my middle/high school years when mom would hand me a $50 bill and leave me at the arcade to play DDR and Gauntlet Dark Legacy for a few hours while she did her shopping at the mall, but nowadays you can get a similar or better experience at home for less money.
>>
Because the internet.
>>
>No going to Vegas for arcade games and the succ.
>>
Why would you go to an arcade when you can play better games at home?
>>
>>389241116
The first one isn't the true and the latter two can be summed up with just "niggers"
>>
>>389240814
You're living in the wrong country? Start your own.
>>
>>389240814
>wrong
You mean right.
>>
>>389240814
Arcades are not dead in Japan.
The few arcades left in western countries are invaded by violent shitskins, so they run out of business.
>>
File: 1467109967738.jpg (11KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1467109967738.jpg
11KB, 200x200px
>>389241063
What are you talking about? Tekken 7 literally hit arcades before home gaming platforms
>>
>>389240814
Home consoles.
You could do an arcade now with Taito Nesica cabinets, but even then it's a stretch. You would need to sell alcohol likely.
>>
>>389241740
They're alive in Korea as well.
They fucking love maimai
>>
>>389241740
>few arcades left in western countries are invaded by violent shitskins

>go to tracaderos in london
>full up of chinese and japanese mostly on gamblers
fucking takes the buscuit, last time I went there not even DDR was being used, and this arcade is massive
>>
>>389240814
>leaving your house to do anything but go to someone else's house to smoke weed

Do you even know kids?
>>
>>389240814
They aren't
>>
>>389240814
Having to pay lel
>>
File: 1477962503331.gif (478KB, 250x165px) Image search: [Google]
1477962503331.gif
478KB, 250x165px
>waste a fuckload of money to play in a loud space full of people while standing

>waste little less money to play on your house, while comfy in your couch

The choice isn't that hard.
>>
>>389241740
Really? Most of the holdouts that are/were left in the last decade tend to cater to fighting game fans, imports, or retro games. The black people who frequent those tend to be weebs/FGC rather than all-out niggers.

The problem is that Arcades only work in a big city nowadays.
>>
>>389242065
>standing
God why does America have to ruin everything. Japanese candy cabs are fantastic
>>
>>389241063
Xrd SIGN could barely run on the ps3 when it was developed for arcades (before the ps4 came out). Everything from effects, to background draw, and clutter had to be scaled back during PS3 development.
>>
>>389241116
>$50
The most I ever got was like $5 what the fuck were your parents like doctors or something?
>>
>>389240814
The idea got adapted for home use.
The NES happened.

What is a good arcade vidya doc?
>>
>>389240814
>Use the size of an arcade cabinet to create super high powered games with cutting edge expert systems and graphics a console can't even touch
>Integrate it to some kinda phone app so people can keep track of their progress and compare stats
>Have multiple machines in an arcade have lan modes and host lan night tournies/casuals
>Let you sit down

There I saved arcades
>>
>>389240814
I, for one, blame DDR.
>>
ROI is really shit. Like almost 10 years for one new arcade machine. An all retro-arcade might work but ROI is still awful. Arcades are a great addition if it is not your main source of income like for an add-on for a restaurant as they can just buy a few per year without sacrificing income.
>>
>>389240814
America opted to spread out into depressing urban sprawl and axe any form of public transit.

Arcades are thriving in dense cities where you can jump on to a train and end up at any arcade in the urban core
>>
>>389240814
they took out normal games and only have ticket/gambling games
>>
>>389241063
>Gameplay is all that matters - gameplay is king!
>The reason arcades are dead is because they don't have the best graphics anymore
Explain.
>>
>>389240814
home console / PC hardware caught up to the arcades

back in the 90s, arcades had mindblowing graphics consoles and PC couldn't even dream of achieving - but as the era of 3D accelerators came along, arcades started having fewer and fewer benefits
>>
>>389241116
>$50
>I got most of my time under 3 dollars or less

Fucking rich kids.
>>
>>389240814
niggers and spics trashing the place
>>
>>389241328
Typical arcade game: Immediately do shit, get wrecked and develop skill to eventually become a God and wreck it back.

Typical home game: Watch a movie 90% of the time so that you can grind challengeless bullshit the other 10% of the time.

Sorry, which is better?
>>
>>389244910
>>389244846
>>
>>389240814
too expensive
>>
>>389244805
This is really one of the major reasons. Arcades can't survive without a lot of foot traffic. In the suburbs there are not enough people that would go out of their way to get to an arcade. In Japan with public transit each stop has an arcade within walking distance.
>>
>>389245134
Gee, perhaps if you got good....
>>
>>389240814
Internet killed the arcade stars.
Internet killed the arcade stars.

I liked PUSA's version of that song, too bad they disbanded after that disc.
>>
>>389245113
Because the gameplay is the same between arcade and home versions?
If the graphics / framerate etc. are the same or better in the home version why bother constantly paying up for the arcade?
>>
File: 1495529420348.jpg (4MB, 8176x10000px) Image search: [Google]
1495529420348.jpg
4MB, 8176x10000px
Only in the Westacuck countries. The East and hell even South Asia have arcades that are still alive and well
>>
Arcade games used to be meaningfully more advanced than home console titles. Now other than certain specialty boxes, it's not really the case- the arcade game is often smaller in scope than a game you'd buy at home, because there's only so much time you'd actually stay at the arcade and so much money you'd pay to play it.

There's not enough of a unique experience for most people to want to actually go to an arcade and then pay money on a per-play basis.
>>
>>389242065
>Go out, socialize and meet people and friends while playing videogame for a few hours while standing up which is good for your posture and blood circulation

>Stay at home and sit on your fat ass, bending over and move very little for several hours

How's that blood clot treating you, anons?
>>
>>389245323
>Asia
It's mostly ticket/prize games and racing games. Most of their arcades are not properly maintained.
>>
>>389240814
>he doesn't live in Japan
jej
I played like an hour of tekken 7 with a salaryman last week
>>
>>389245308
Because despite those similarities the experiences are totally different.

You standing up in public and playing a machine which exists solely for that single game to be played doesn't convey the same sensation as playing the game alone in your underwear on your basement couch.

Paying to play the game at the arcade does more to directly support more of those games being made as well.
>>
>>389245323
Because they're wageslaves with backbreaking work culture that only allows them to play games at 11PM after the mandatory after-work trip to a bar with your co-workers so they can get you drunk and tell on you to the upper management
>>
>>389245480
>here's that fat gaijin again
>let's waste his money
>>
Speak for yourself, I can drive to a round 1 at any time, especially on a Saturday night, and play with a 10-20 man group on maximum tune just doing 4 man battles

arcades are expensive as fuck, and a bit of a pain to drive to, but its not dead at all.
>>
>>389245621
>with your co-workers so they can get you drunk and tell on you to the upper management

... You drink with upper management.
Everyone gets drunk, the drunkenness gives everyone the excuse to speak freely about problems with a given project without breaking the social hierarchy and being incredibly rude.

It's fucked up but it's not a scheme like you seem to be implying.
>>
>>389245043
The one that doesn't require me to autistically replay the same four levels for months so I can develop a completely useless skillset and then brag about it on a japanese imageboard so I can feel like I am not wasting my life.
>>
>>389240814
The most you can do nowadays is go to a local fighting game venue and play with other people in different fighting games or to one of those ironic barcades where most of the people who go there were born later then most famous arcade games
>>
>>389240814
Dead in the West

It is depressing
>>
Because home consoles were becoming just as powerful as their arcade counterparts. Plus, with ports of arcade titles being sold for home systems, with additional content, there wasn't much incentive to keep spending money at the arcade on a title, when you could spend that money on owning the actual game. Plus, a lot of arcades started gouging players for quarters, with some titles, like Street Fighter or Tekken, going from 25 cents a play to a $1, which didn't allow for "poorer" kids to compete because they'd only get $5 to play, which equaled out to 5 tries against someone more skilled. It also didn't help that real games were shoved aside for TICKETS AND PRIZES!

But there is some interest in arcades returning in the US with companies like Dave and Busters and local barcades.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.