[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Looking back at the PS2 era MK games, what went wrong at what

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6

Looking back at the PS2 era MK games, what went wrong at what went right during this era?
>>
File: mk deception.jpg (103KB, 640x908px) Image search: [Google]
mk deception.jpg
103KB, 640x908px
Nothing went wrong, MK Deception, Soul Calibur 2 and Tekken 5 were the only fighters worth paying full retail price for.

MK9 was worth $20

MKX is worth $10
>>
They were really really shitty games mechanically, usually absolute messes. A very significant majority of the new characters sucked absolute ass too for the entire era.

The only thing they really did right was single player content and extras.
>>
>>389224924
>The only thing they really did right was single player content and extras.

Literally the only thing that matters
>>
Which one of them was the game with the RPG-like mode? Because that was pretty cool.
>>
I have bought over four different copies of Mortal Kombat Shaolin monks, and I have not been able to finish/play a single one of them.

This has nothing to do with the quality of the series at the time, I just mean I want to play this fucking game because what I have played, I fucking loved.
>>
>>389225059

Actually, the thing that matters the most for a video game is having good gameplay. The 3d era of MK games might have had lots of decent content but the gameplay itself was always a huge shitty slog that really brought down the experience.
>>
Gameplay wise, they felt really slow and the moves didn't felt that packed a punch.
The different stances also weren't that fun to use, even if those combos into stance change to more juggles were interesting, they never felt quite fun to use.
Fuck stage hazards, fuck them hard.
The roster also got too bloated with terrible new characters with a few exceptions like havik, kenshi and ashrah.
>>
>>389224629
I kind of miss when MK was a 3D fighter, it was a really cool evolution to see. UMK3 is still the best mechanically though.

NRS just can't make a good competitive Moron Kombat game, it's amazing how they can't get that right with so much inspiration coming from Tekken.
>>
>>389225178
I really dig how MK9 plays, but that content is lacking man.

>>389225131
I don't get what the fuck you're implying.
>>
>>389225060
Armageddon, pretty sure. I really liked that game. Is that the same one where the protagonist actually ages and becomes an old dude by the end of the series?

I remember being able to take moves from different characters and work them into your own combos, was that even real?

I fucking hate the captcha that makes you keep clicking new pictures over and over.
>>
>>389225060
Deception and Armaggedon. Easily the best part of both games.
>>
>>389225249
I'm not implying anything. I even say it has nothing to do with the series other than, I want to play that game again.

I remember sitting around on a computer, before the game came out, just watching all the fatalities and the trailer over and over on their website. One of my earliest memories of video game hype, before that all went to shit.
>>
>>389225316
>Armageddon, pretty sure. I really liked that game. Is that the same one where the protagonist actually ages and becomes an old dude by the end of the series?

Thats the one, for being a side mode at best it was really well done and had a lot of neat touches.
>>
>>389225316
>>389225450
Thanks anons. I remember thinking it was a pretty cool thing they did.
>>
>>389225316
>>389225598
No, Deception is about Shujinko.
>>
>>389225060
Deception.
Armageddon had a beat'em up.
>>
I thought the only redeemable quality in the 3D mks was the art direction for the stages. Outside of that and a few character designs (shredder zero) the games were trash.
>>
>>389225721
Ah, that's the name I was thinking of. Taven didn't sound right, I got the two games mixed up.
>>
>>389224629
Good things:
The stories and adventure modes

Bad things:
The actual gameplay
>>
>>389224808
I disagree with everything, except that Tekken 5 and SC2 are worth full price, and that MK9 is worth $20.

I'd also put MKX at $20. Deception is a mediocre game. Every Namco fighter ever made, other than SCV, is worth full price. Street Fighter 4, KOF XIII, and Virtua Fighter 5 (360 Version) all were deserving of a full price.
>>
File: mkda-s9.jpg (68KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
mkda-s9.jpg
68KB, 640x480px
>>389224629
>what went wrong
Midway being a trash publisher who forced the team to churn out a game every year

>what went right
Deadly Alliance. Character design. Willingness to go in new directions.
>>
>>389226125
You have some low standards
>>
>>389224629
Considering how there are people who still play PS2 MK online on fanmade servers rather than the current MK games, nothing went wrong
>>
>>389224629
>What went wrong
Everything, except Shaolin Monks.
>What went right
Nothing, except Shaolin Monks.
>>
File: Deadliest Alliance.jpg (177KB, 900x1052px) Image search: [Google]
Deadliest Alliance.jpg
177KB, 900x1052px
>>389224629
The games had a shit ton of content and really cool shit throughout them but the gameplay just was not very good. Boon and his team clearly didn't do well with the transition to 3D fighting that Midway wanted and it shows. That and the new fighters being mostly terrible coupled with having to rush the games out to keep the lights on at Midway meant they never really had time to improve the core gameplay and instead had to rely on new gimmicks every game to distract people. MKvsDC was a shitty game but it was a godsend for Boon's team and MK since it's success opened the door for them to escape the death of Midway. WB may be a bunch of greedy assholes but a least they give NRS the time, budget and freedom to make the MK games the way they want to make them.
>>
>>389224808
you are fucking delusional if you think the turd that was MK deception was anywhere near Tekken 5 or SC2

just because you have nostalgia for a shit game it won't make it good
>>
So from the looks of it, this is the best MK game of the 6th era.
>>
>>389228781

Yes, definitely.
>>
>>389228781

Arguably the best Mortal Kombat related game ever made, not just in that era.
>>
>>389226414
Really? Why would you go through the hassle of making your own servers for an obselete console when the Netherrealm games are better than these anyway? I doubt the number of people still playing this is even in the triple digits.
>>
>>389226125
>Deception is a mediocre game
>>389228487

I could not disagree with you harder. Deception was the absolute pinnacle of fighting games to me. No other fighter has had the same quality or impact that game did. Even NRS haven't been able to make anything that comes close to its level, save for Armageddon. Chess Kombat and Mario Kart was the shit. I haven't been able to touch another fighting game since then without it feeling inferior and a waste of time.
>>
>mortal kombat shaolin monks will never be on pc with updated graphics and online play

I would seriously buy 4 copies of it to give to my friends. Shaolin Monks is one of the best co op video games I have EVER played, and I've played a lot of video games.
>>
>>389229350
I'm trying to respect your honest opinion, but you're so fucking wrong that I can't. How can you call Mario Kart rip offs the pinnacle of fighting games when shit like Third Strike exists?
>>
>>389230003
It was just honest to goodness fun. I can't even name another fighting game that I enjoyed that much and eventually put so much time into learning all the combos and inputs out of sheer pleasure. It never felt like a chore to play and I never felt autistic about learning how to get better. It was completely off the wall and stupid. I like that kind of reckless game development.
>>
>>389229590
You have more luck doing netplay over PCSX2 than anything. Although we'll have to see what Phil Spencer has in store for us for Xbox backward compatibility.
>>
File: 1503208702341.jpg (26KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1503208702341.jpg
26KB, 480x360px
>>389230003
Don't talk shit about Motor Kombat
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.