[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Non-gamey Games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: c7dc7f2bdd5cb758b937cc1e810be618.jpg (199KB, 1529x911px) Image search: [Google]
c7dc7f2bdd5cb758b937cc1e810be618.jpg
199KB, 1529x911px
If you were to show someone that video games are more than just the silly stereotypical image normies have of the genre (bleeps and bloops, racking up HIGHSCORES, lasers, shooting aliens, killing zombies, goofy cartoony characters, etc) which games would you pick?

Games that demonstrate the potential of the medium as interactive narrative experiences, without going full walking simulator.

Pic related, for obvious reasons.
>>
why does uncharted/the last of us get a free pass for being critically acclaimed but it's not even as good as the hollywood movies it's trying to emulate?
>>
>>389223681

Get a free pass at what, exactly?

They're critically acclaimed because they recreate a cinematic experience in interactive form to great success, not because they're better or worse than movies.
>>
journey
myst/riven
vanishing of ethan carter
the last guardian
flower
>>
>>389223476
>Non-gamey Games
Is this the video game version of 'graphic novel'?
>>
>>389223794
i think it just succeeds as being a decent narrative with interactivity but not a masterpiece as the masses say.
>>
>>389224129

ok
>>
>>389223950
>vanishing of ethan carter

What's that game like? I was under the impression that it was basically just a walking simulator, but I've seen a lot of people recommend it lately.
>>
>>389223476
I want to say Nier Automata, but it might have just been the way I played it, not fighting unnecessary battles and thinking about my actions.
>>
Also, What Remains of Edith Finch is getting a lot of buzz lately. That's probably a good one.
>>389224316
because it's actually a puzzle game and /v/ doesn't play the games it talks shit about
it's dismissed as a walking sim because there are some stretches where you just sort of walk forward, but it's a game
>>389224417
Near A Tomato does some really clever things with the medium that tell a story that couldn't be told anywhere else, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone new to video games.
>>
>>389224417

I think for someone who already plays a lot of video games, Nier/Nier Automata will feel really different, in a deconstructive kind of way. It's a very unique experience, but I think that for an outside observer, someone with normie tier vidya knowledge, it will probably look like a generic action game.
>>
The 3D Prince of Persia games.

Sands of Time was one of the first games that made me think about games as interactive stories instead of just mindless fun.
>>
To a new player who wanted to see what video games could do artistically? Definitely start with the Team ICO games, yeah. They're terrific at evoking a sense of wonder and making you feel things while still respecting player agency and really enveloping you in the experience. After that, I'd personally recommend Fallout: New Vegas because I think it's just a really good example of the kind of free-form, player-driven narrative only really capable in vidya.

After that, not sure.
>>
>>389225090
>Fallout: New Vegas

That's not a bad idea. It's a very nice example of the type of experience only vidya can offer.
>>
>>389223476
Cosmology of Kyoto
>>
>>389223476

Why would i ever want to bring in more trash opinions in to this medium?
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.