[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So why do normalfags love this shit so much? The gameplay is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 4

File: 0outof10.jpg (454KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
0outof10.jpg
454KB, 1920x1200px
So why do normalfags love this shit so much? The gameplay is garbage, the graphics were shit even in 2011, the story is non-existent.
What's so great about it?
>>
who cares reddit hates it so we should play it anway
>>
Because the gameplay is garbage and doesn't require skill, the graphics are easy to run and you don't have to care about the story?

You answered your own question, OP.
>>
False illusion of choice. The only rpg thing about skyrim is the leveling system and that's it. Literally baby's first ""RPG""
>>
>>389210298
It was released during the apex of xbox 360 and ps3. Millions of digg and facebook faggots migrated to reddit at the time.
It was one of the first games to have an enormous marketing budget after 2007. and social media and internet getting into every normies life.
Oldfags that loved Morrowind and felt a bit betrayed by Oblivion had hope it would get the series back on track.
Oblivion fags that loved Oblivion for its quests and gps arrow got another fix, oblivion fags that hated Morrowinds combat also got what they wanted.
it was only 4.5GB and could be burned on one dvd and torrented easily by people all over the world.
It ran ok on the average computer.
Viral marketeering snowballed into infinity.
>>
>>389210516
>reddit hates it
Reddits Skyrim board has 430k followers meanwhile the F:NV one has 30. Fucking lol
>>
Bought it from sale in 2013. Downloaded it, installed some of the best mods, launched the game, game looks like absolute shit, runs like shit, played 42 minutes, uninstall, never bothered to download it again.
>>
>>389210298
I legitimately bought skyrim after watching some hilarious glitch videos making fun of it. dicking around in a broken sandbox appeals to my inner child. i do not give a single fuck about the real game tho.
>>
>>389210298

It's a good game. It's been 6 years, get over it already.
>>
>please /v/ hugbox, validate my contrarian hipster faggot opinion
>>
>>389214086
>It's a good game.
It is bellow average.
>It's been x years, get over it
Get cancer, tool.
>>
>>389210298
i liked it when i was a teenager but having grown up a bit it's painfully repetitive and boring to me
>>
>>389212451
Same, got it in 2015 with my PC and wanted to see what the hype is about. Played for 3h until I dropped it. There's just nothing special about it
>>
Don't worry, as soon as the next one comes out you'll like it too.

It happened with Oblivion on this board before Skyrim, now you newfags like Oblivion.
>>
>>389214181
>>389214086
Please please please be bait
>>
>>389210298
Name one game from this year that is praised as Skyrim.
Normies like it because is easy. We dont care about shitlords saying is a reddit game.
>>
>>389214563
>this meme
Doesnt apply to BioShock, Dark Souls, Far Cry, MGS and many more.
Try again.
>>
>>389210298
because the previous installments are somehow even worse
>>
but thats just like your opinion man
>>
I guess I'm casual, because I've been on /v/ since 2007, played a lot of WRPGs and games in general during my life, but was still into WoW in 2011 so I didn't buy many games that year.

I got Skyrim Special Edition a few weeks ago and I'm playing through it for the first time. I really like it. I'm glad the story is barely there, video game stories suck complete fucking dick, without exception. I've never cared about a story in a video game. I prefer to make my own way through a world, so I'm loving Skyrim so far. Exploring, going into dungeons, reading books, making potions, enchanting gear, doing sidequests, buying a house, etc.

The best way a story can be implemented in a game is let the player know the basics of the world, why it's in the condition it's in, and what can be done to solve the problems.

The melee combat eats shit but I'm enjoying the physics based gameplay and trying to get mobs to fight other mobs or NPCs. I don't get the hate for this game. I guess because it appeals to a wide audience, including casuals and GRRL gamerz, /v/ can't be caught dead enjoying it. It's Dark Souls and The Witcher for the patricians of /v/!
>>
>>389214856
Tbf they are ancient. They were decent at their time but if you compare them to most modern games they get outclassed in every aspect.
The only people defending them are contrarians, nostalgia/oldfags, and elitists that want to sound credible because they have a superior taste
>>
>>389214581
Please please please don't be a faggot
Oh wait, it's too late for that. Kill yourself.
>>
>>389215054
maybe daggerfall but morrowind and oblivion definitely weren't amazing for the time
morrowind is a singleplayer MMO and oblivion is a comically bad RPG
>>
>>389215037
>video game stories suck complete fucking dick, without exception
BioShock 1&2 and DLC
W3 Hearts Of Stone
>It's Dark Souls and The Witcher for the patricians of /v/!
Those games are casual as fuck. Witcher 1&2 are complete garbage though and Dark Souls up to SOTFS have aged like absolute shit.
>>
>>389215335
>morrowind and oblivion definitely weren't amazing for the time
>>389215121
>>389214856
>>389215054
Just end you're pathetic existence cancerfag.
>>
>>389215357
>and DLC
Nice gone home garbage, fag
>>
>>389215357
DS2 & 3 are casual now? Where have I been? I literally havent seen that opinion ever and I visit /v/ once a day. Yeah, I guess Bioshock 1 and Bioshock Infinite had interesting stories, but again; what I remember most is the minute to minute gameplay and the moments that I made happen. Even the very few passable video game stories are best as a backdrop. They are still low tier compared to books and movies.
>>
>>389215509
they were terrible dumb namefag
>>
>>389210298
Because you are a contrarian that only hates it because it is popular.
>>
>>389215689
dark souls is casual now that you can summon 5 fucking phantoms.
>>
>>389215715
Morrowind was like miracle on release in terms of depth, graphics, story and pretty much everything.
And it worked on pentium 3 computers with 256MB of ram. You would not know about the awe and wonder it caused because you were probably born after its release, tool.
>>
>>389210298
I used to also hate Skyrim, but then I got an arrow to the knee.
>>
>>389215967
yeah those encyclopedias had such depth and story to them
>>
>>389214769
BoTW
>>
File: cooks.png (116KB, 285x336px) Image search: [Google]
cooks.png
116KB, 285x336px
Skyrim is the Chicken McNugget of video games. It's inoffensively bland, highly compartmentalized, extremely well known, and completely approachable. It's deliberately designed to provide quick, constant gratification to keep people coming back. It was created not to excel in any particular way but to be quite the opposite, as to reduce to risk of losing customers to the liability of personal taste. It is produced with industrial efficiency, forgoing any flair, surprises, or nuance in favor of a predictable consistency that will never disappoint someone who knows exactly what to expect. In reality, there is nothing actually all that bad about it, but to its critics this is not necessarily the problem. The problem is that it simply doesn't have anything going for it, and life is too short and the world to vast and full of wonderful experiences to say that the McNugget is your favorite food.
>>
>>389210298
Because it's the most mainstream, entry level RPG
Dragons, etc
It's not that hard
>>
>>389216103
Ra'vir the khajit trader in Balmora near the silt strider has more soul than all of Whiterun npcs combined, and he is not moving and has a lump of text instead of a voice.
That tells a lot about skyshit.
>>
>>389216503
>there is nothing actually all that bad about it
That is not true and it goes for both shitnugget and skyrim.
>>
>>389216901
morrowind npcs have as much soul as the ones in daggerfall do
just because you have memories of playing it as a child doesn't mean it was the best game ever made
>>
>>389216503

If that was all true it wouldn't still be amongst the topped played games on Steam years later. Bland shit is a dime a dozen and has a short life span, there is clearly something special about Skyrim that drew an enormous amount of people to it whether /v/ likes to admit that or not.

And before you declare it's because of mods you should take a look at what mods the vast majority actually run are. They are mostly graphics mods. Apart from the survival mods not many run anything that changes the gameplay. There isn't much content mods so it's not as if everyone is running user made quest or anything of that sort. And sex mods aren't really that widely used. People already like the gameplay and the content, they just want better graphics.
>>
because you can open the console and type skill maximum and win
>>
>>389216901
Tells me that you are a furry faggot
>>
>>389217237
And yet here are all the underage holding skyrim at that level
>>
>>389217797
the whole franchise is fetid shit, you're arguing which shit smells the freshest
>>
>>389217237
I played Morrowind on release and was a younger adult then.
I know the name of the river that goes trough Balmora and the name of the foyada near i. I can't remember two npcs or locations from skyrim. It is all so generic.

>>389217742
Kill yourself.
>>
>>389210298
Skyrim is a mediocre game, just a sandbox that as wide as an ocean with the depth of a puddle. It doesn't change the fact that normies jump on the latest bandwagon, Skyrim had monumental amount of advertizement. More than that though its a popular, well established franchise. Its the same reason WoW turned in to Wrath of the casuals in WOTLK. (among many other things)
>>
>>389217865
You just can't comprehend what Morrowind was for it's time. That's okay, but stop embarrassing yourself by discussing things that happened way before you learned to walk.
It's hard to understand, but your opinion doesn't really matter to anyone. What matters is the public opinion, and about that you can learn even now by consuming media of that time. It's not really an ancient history, you know.
>>
File: 1478690589185.png (188KB, 581x474px) Image search: [Google]
1478690589185.png
188KB, 581x474px
>>389210298
I liked it for comfy exploration.
>>
>>389210298
The problem is how you approached the game. The game really isn't much as an RPG as it is an adventure generator.

>Wander around
>Hit ruin
>Murder everything
>Take whatever you want

Rinse repeat. The big problem that people tend to hit who actually play video games is that they either treat it as an RPG

>Investigate story
>Make choices
>Cultivate "style"

Or they play it as a video game
>Only take things to sell or to use in a very narrow focus
>Build character to be effective

And this doesn't lend itself well to the game because it removes the adventure in a way. I realized this after watching my roommate play for a while

>He as an archer warrior wizard named his name wanders into ruin
>Eventually hits some sort of mage that completely demolished him
>Reloads a few times
>Decides to shout at him and completely run out of the dungeon all the way to Whiterun in case the wizard is following him
>He makes a plan to go hunt the wizard; buys poison, magic resist, good arrows, etc
>Goes back and has a long quasi boss fight with him dodging air effects
>Wins some shitty generic enchanted weapon he's proud of

It wouldn't happen to me or people who play video games often

>There are always too many health potions
>Hybrids often suck
>The loot will be generic anyway
>>
>>389219525
Oh, he also spent way more gold on the wizard hunting shit than he sold the loot for.
>>
>>389210298
>the graphics were shit even in 2011
ahhh, revisionism
>>
>>389219819
There are better looking games that came out YEARS before Skyrim
>>
Somebody give me a fun build. I've done sneak archer and heavy armour warrior with healing a la paladin style before. Are there any unique styles that don't result in you getting BTFO mid-game?
>>
>>389210298

I didn't mind it, but it defiantly isn't something I'll play through again.

The fact that its a Bethesda game and can't run on a monitor over 100Hz without freaking out is enough to keep me from trying to play it again.
>>
>>389220274
Let me guess, you're going to post a Crysis screenshot now?
>>
>>389219525

I could never play like that. On my first and only playthrough I found the conjure sword spell and between it healing it was the only 2 things I used to beat the game and the DLC. I don't think I ever found a challenge that I couldn't overcome by pulling a sword out of thin air.
>>
File: bioshock16.jpg (410KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
bioshock16.jpg
410KB, 1920x1200px
>>389220351
Would it be wrong if I did?
>>
>>389220504
Normies are really fucking bad at video games.
>>
>>389220274
Name one that isn't Crysis.
>>
Inb4 grotesquely modded "female" posts
>>
>>389220635

What, you don't like tits the size of entire bodies?
>>
They can explore and do shit.
>>
>>389220559
Why does Crisis not count? Also >>389220547
>>
Oblivion was a better game, they downgraded in game play for "oooh dragons!!" Its simple when you see why skyrim and fallout 4 appeal to normies so much, they only care about graphics and how "cool" something looks and less about a combination of actual balanced gameplay and making it feel like you are actually progressing and making a impact on the virtual world, these games trade this vital aspect of the game in exchange for appealing to fans.
>>
>>389220559
Uncharted, Assassin's Creed 2, Red Dead Redemption, Witcher 2(but I think that came out the same year)
>>
>>389210298

It's basically America: The Video Game.

It gives you freedom but its an incompetent mess in every other regard, all while a civil war goes on.
>>
>girl at work is talking about how much she loves Skyrim and plays it every day
>I say I don't like the game
>she gets a little defensive
>I say that I won't just start ripping into her favourite game
>she insists that I list my problems with
>"yeah okay then"
>launch off into huge rant
>"fair enough anon"

>last week
>it's been like 4 months since we had that conversation
>Skyrim comes up
>she says she hasn't played it in months
>"how come? I thought it was your favourite game?"
>"you ruined it for me anon, I tried to play it after what you said and you were right about it, it's just the same shit over and over"

Ruined someone's favourite thing, feels kinda bad man
>>
>>389210298
your mc is epic kills dragons and absorbs them, its gold to normies
>>
>>389221354
That's really /v/'s major malfunction.
Folks here can't just reconcile that someone enjoys something on their own terms.
It's as though we've got to adhere to objective standards for enjoyment.

Fuck that noise.
I'm going to have fun with a game, even if it's a shit game, if I enjoy it.
>>
>>389221139
this fgt thinking america gives you "freedom"
>>
>>389221535
It's why I didn't want to rip into it in the first place, I was like "eehhh Skyrim, I'm not a fan" and wanted to leave it there, but she genuinely wanted to know my opinion on it and why I didn't think it was amazing

The follow up conversation the other day was weird cause she did not seem bothered at all, I was like, "I feel like a total dick for ruining it" and she was like, "don't, you were right"

Still feels bad
>>
>tfw you will never experience the cozy snow-covered winter of 2011
>tfw you will never snuggle in a blanket in a blanket with a hot cup of cocoa and explore Skyrim for the first time again

After the first playthrough, Skyrim is absolute shit, but that first time is golden.
>>
>>389222138
Also before anyone talks shit about my grammar, I'm slowly losing my cognitive abilities, pls don't judge.
>>
>>389217491
>there is clearly something special about Skyrim that drew an enormous amount of people
The key to its success was one of the biggest marketing pushes in the history of video games to hype people up and an approachable simplicity to make them feel like they're getting the fullest it has to offer.
Want to talk about the highest earning film of all time now? Success does not imply substance. It implies mass appeal.
>>
>>389221748
Now recommend her Morrowind.
>>
Open world, presentation is good, easy to get into and play, graphics aren't even that bad.
>>
>>389221748
I'll let you in on a little secret, she doesn't play the game and thought it was cool with guys so she said it to seem cool, then a guy that she knows plays a lot of video games tells her it's shit and threw it out like yesterday's trash.
>>
>>389210298

it's fun. not a long lasting, meaningful fun, but it IS fun. first impressions are important to a lot of people. my first ~80 hours were great. That's more than most normalfags will invest total, so they never realize its shallowness.

same with botw.
>>
>>389222472
I mean, at the time she was my friend's girlfriend and he said she played a lot because she did
>>
>normalfags

I think I've spent two hours modding this game for every 15 minutes I've played it. I don't know how anyone could enjoy this who isn't on the spectrum.
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.