[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does it hold up today?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6

File: Systemshock2box[1].jpg (25KB, 250x288px) Image search: [Google]
Systemshock2box[1].jpg
25KB, 250x288px
Does it hold up today?
>>
>>389137876
Just play it and judge for yourself.
>>
Hold what?
>>
who makes threads like these?
>>
>>389138525
Shitposters, same as most threads on /v/.
>>
>>389138525
you know, people who play videogames
>>
>>389137876
Not really, still worth playing though.
>>
>>389137876
Most of the problems it has today are the same problems it had when it was published, namely poor sound design and 'rpg' elements being shit.
>>
Yep, still as shit as it always was.
>>
>>389138586
People who play videogames are busy playing videogames instead of asking "should I play videogames?"
>>
>>389139763
The only problem I find to RPG elements is that there are skills that are virtually useless as you can't get points fast enough to get the skill and take advange of it.

Half of the game was rushed, so there is no room to fully enjoy high tier psi powers for example.

That being said, it's one of my favorite games.
>>
>>389139763
>poor sound design
???
>>
>>389137876
The first game is better.
>>
>>389138473
Newfag
>>
>>389139972
YOu have autism

>>389138687
and you have bigger autism
>>
>>389140057
>People who play videogames are busy playing videogames instead of asking "who makes threads like these?"
>>
>>389137876
I enjoyed it, though pls rebind all keys and makesure you hammer the audio log keybind
>>
File: ss2 on retrorig.png (457KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
ss2 on retrorig.png
457KB, 1024x768px
>>389137876
Yes.
Played it for the first time in 07, thinking I'd "prepare" myself for the upcoming Bioshock.

What happened was that I found a pure GOTYAY game instead, which I instantly replayed after credits, and the BS was just shit in comparison.
>>
>>389137876
nah
>>
>>389141181
I dont play videogames, anon, its childish
>>
>>389142534
2007 was 10 years ago anon, it's time to replay it and see if it holds up today as well
>>
>>389137876
maybe if you remove respawning enemies
>>
>>389143160
>i just played it 2 years ago
>games haven't really changed much since 2 years
>games have become easier since 2 years ago
i'm pretty sure it still holds up.
But it's probably clunky
>>
>>389143160
I just replayed it in 2015.
>2007 was 10 years ago
And my brain refuses to believe this.
Still, I don't just "forget" how games feel like.
>>
>>389142534
>BS was just shit in comparison.
Why does anyone say this? Did anyone actually play System Shock 2, or is it a nostalgia thing? Practically every aspect of System Shock 2 was in some way still reproduced in Bioshock, and some of the 'casualation' of Bioshock actually led to a more tight-nit game in gameplay mechanics. Many of the skills and Psionics were practically useless in comparison and the level design after the Rickenbakcer was hardly memorable. They are pretty equal games with the exception of maybe the writing.
Bioshock 2 and the first System Shock are still the best games in the franchise
>>
File: chessboard.jpg (388KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
chessboard.jpg
388KB, 1024x768px
Guys, does it hold up today?
The graphics seem iffy to me, is that dildo really supposed to be a bishop?
>>
How do you go from this to BioShock Infinite?
>>
>>389143903
System Shock 2 doesn't instantly satisfy you.
>>
File: dump000.jpg (102KB, 1100x619px) Image search: [Google]
dump000.jpg
102KB, 1100x619px
>>389137876
I just finished it and thought it was flawed but amazing, despite finding it difficult to get into it at first. I love the Von Braun but the ending is disappointing. Mixing AI gone crazy scifi with alien hivemind horror is a brilliant idea and makes the atmosphere really unique and memorable. By comparison, something like Dead Space which only has the spaceship horror feels much less engaging or clever.

>>389142534
Had the same experience with DX before HR came out. They aged a bit, the AI or combat isn't as satisfying as more modern games, etc. but the overall experience feels much richer, with more interesting level design or immersive storytelling through attention to details. I love the way the objectives on each level are just "fix this, then fix that" without telling you exactly where to go or how to proceed, leaving you to explore areas that feel logically designed (meaning it makes you believe an actual working spaceship could be designed like this, it's not endless gray corridors and random machinery throughout, again to compare with Dead Space I never felt I was exploring an actual recognizable place, just a series of video games levels), while the random pieces of logs tell a story of how that area became fucked in a way that isn't just narrative but also influences the gameplay and exploration. It's just really well-designed and satisfying to explore.
>>
>>389143903
Is Infinite really that bad?
>>
>>389144441
Compared to this? Yeah.
>>
>>389143519
>first System Shock are still the best games
How do I get into this? Any mods to improve the experience?
>>
Do i have to play 1 to play 2?
>>
>>389144483
compared to every fps on the market, yes.
>>
>>389144616
Not at all.
>>
>>389144560
If you aren't getting the enhanced version then people would recommend getting the mouselook mod. The game is fine as is though.
>>
>>389140214
Skills make early game a chore where you waste hideous amounts of resources on inefficiency, but then late game you have a surplus of everything because you can pop rumblers with three anti-personnel rounds from one of your perfect condition rifles and you have six perfect condition fully charged laser pistols up your ass for backup. Similar problems in hacking, and psionics is a noob trap unless you ignore everything and beeline for invisibility, then it breaks the game. The whole system was an untested mess.

>>389140475
Music blares over environmental noises for three minutes on every level transition, and some extremely loud sounds had weird and abrupt cut-off ranges. Being unable to tell if the angry wizard monkey is behind you, in the next room, or in a room on the other end of the map because sound barely weakens with distance and travels through walls like they aren't there. Also all of those heavy robots would cause hearing damage to anyone who had to be around them for extended periods of time.
>>
>>389144616
Not at all
1 is really
really
REALLY
clunky and bad
just do your research on 1 and learn the story
>>
>>389145280
>and bad
SHIT
TASTE
>>
>>389145185
Any chance the remake will be any good? I saw they were originally recreating every room 1:1 then decided to change and simplify the level design because of the console port, and it's a kickstarter project to boot.
>>
>>389145249
>having autistic ears
>>
>>389145331
>ultima with guns
>>
play prey instead
>>
>>389141067
>the ironing
>>
File: 2f9.gif (1MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
2f9.gif
1MB, 500x281px
>>389145331
Shut up anon i played through all of it ok
>>
>>389137876
Just beat it for the first time yesterday, I'd say it does other than the utter shit weapon balance
Who the fuck made these energy weapons they're so fucking bad
>>
>>389145331

Agreed.
>>
>>389145556
>other than the utter shit weapon balance
This, the fusion cannon was such a fucking let down. Big shame. At least the grenade launcher is the best weapon in the game.
>>
>>389145339
I'm still iffy on that issue. On one hand there has been some questionable statements about the development of the game, but on the other hand it's still being developed by Night Dive Studios. I'm hoping that in the end, though it won't be exactly the same, any bad changes are still negated by good changes.
>>
>>389145331
What makes SS1 better than SS2, to those that rank it above?
>>
>>389145858
SS2's rpg mechanics are clunky as fuck and the weapon balance is fucking awful.
>>
File: 1386347232463.jpg (32KB, 396x381px) Image search: [Google]
1386347232463.jpg
32KB, 396x381px
>>389145556
>Standard weapons are god-tier with the assault rifle tearing through fucking everything as long as you have ammo for it but they're all pretty predictable common weapons
>Everything else is cool and unique but sucks ass
>>
>>389139763
Don't forget how all the weapons feel godawful even when compared to the first game, how none of the enemies are capable of moving and attacking at the same time, and how ss1's puzzles and cyberspace levels were replaced with tic-tac-toe (but stat based).
>>
>>389145423
Prey GOTY
>>
Still holds up for sure, one of my favorite games ever, and pretty much the juggernaut of story driven FPS games, probably won't ever be a game that surpasses it, even the remakes. It still has its contrarians though.
>>
>>389145341
>expecting to be able to listen in on what's creeping around when I enter a map instead of getting blasted by loud techno is autistic
>expecting sound to be put to some use in a stealth/survival game is autistic
>expecting to not get a heart attack when accidentally approaching that console in shuttle bay control room is autistic
>getting tired of that STOMP STOMP STOMP in medical until I can finally open the door and shoot the stupid thing to death is autistic
No, I'm just not blind to glaring flaws. Thief wasn't some marvel of alien technology that no one could copy.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.