[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it really that bad?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6

File: 250px-Dxinvwar.jpg (33KB, 250x358px) Image search: [Google]
250px-Dxinvwar.jpg
33KB, 250x358px
Is it really that bad?
>>
If you've never played the original Deus Ex, then it might be okay, but even then it's a piss-weak game that serves as a textbook example of what goes wrong when you try to shift a PC-centric game to consoles.
>>
I was so mesmerized by its shittiness that I marathoned the entire game in one session.
Not that that's too straining an achievement, mind. The game is like four to five hours long even with side content.
>>
It honestly is that bad. Worst case of consolitis ever. This game and Thief 3 are a fucking disgrace.
>>
I liked it. The story was pretty stupid but then again it's a dumb video game so who cares. The gameplay was fine.
>>
>>389058493
I played deus ex on the ps2 and it worked well, they redid the UI, nerfed effects etc and because I didn't have a pc back then I enjoyed it.

IW however is pretty bad, even playing it on the OG xbox as a kid I knew it didn't hold a candle to the first game, the ammo system, weird story choices and tiny level sizes designed to fit on the xbox made it feel like a step back. Looked pretty though and some of the side story stuff is interesting.

I'd say it's worth a playthrough just to see how badly they fucked up.
>>
nope. game is great and is true to the original deus ex. buy it and play it.
>>
>>389059137
See, I loved deadly shadows..then I got a PC and finally got to play the older games and see where all the hate comes from.

Good thing they never made that mistake aga...oh.. yeah
>>
Is not so bad as standalone, the problem is be a sequel of Deus Ex, very high expectations.
>>
>>389059347
Deus Ex for PS2 is a strange port.
It runs like absolute garbage and that's after a notable graphical downgrade. But at the same time, the entire game is still there. The levels might have been broken up with additional loading zones but they're still complete levels, with all the different pathways and choices to make. You can still use all the different weapons, ammo types and modifications. You have all your augmentations and skills. It's kind of impressive.
>>
>>389058493
Why did they turn JC into a numale with frosted tips in this game?
>>
>>389059987
cus it's the future
>>
A memorable fun game , I'm serious.
I enjoyed it more than the original Deus Ex which was boring in comparison.
And I like it more than the new ones which are only ok.
>>
>>389060525
Kys
>>
>>389060646
No You
>>
>>389059867
yeah when I played the pc version years later I actually hated the UI until I got used to it. The ps2 version was really good and kinda shitty at the same time but there were no missing levels, the gameplay was great and every side mission was there, despite how bad it ran I loved it.

Going back to it now would be awful though especially with the mods that fix up the already better PC version
>>
File: 4hgYc9q.gif (917KB, 500x344px) Image search: [Google]
4hgYc9q.gif
917KB, 500x344px
>>389058493
Depends on perspective. You should play Deus Ex: The Fall first then you'll think IW is amazing
>>
I thought Deadly Shadows was even worse but somehow gets a free pass when people look at the two games. The original Xbox ruined PC gaming. The 2000's (aside from the 2000-2002 period I guess) were the worst years for PC gaming, where every PC franchise became a console franchise and lost all of their complexity and were butchered console ports back to PC. Truly the worst timeline.
>>
>>389059137
Deadly Shadows is not a bad game at all. An entirely different game from the others, for sure, but definitely not bad.
>>
>>389061184
Invisible War is worse because it diverges way too much from what made Deus Ex good. It's not just bad level design and bad gameplay, it goes too futuristic and becomes something completely different that is way too far removed.

Deadly Shadows is trash, but because it's still set in the same timeline and has an ok story and some cool environments, people give it a pass and like pretending it wasn't that bad.
>>
>>389061248
It is THAT bad. Complete disgrace.
>>
>>389058493
No, it just had big shoes to fill. Because the game is fine for what it is.
>>
>>389059987
You don't play as JC in Invisible War though
>>
>>389058493
No, played on release Xbox.
>>
>>389058493
No, it's good. It's not nearly as good as the original but it isn't far off from the overrated Adam Jensen games.
>>
>>389058493
I couldn't stand the game. The stealth was wonky, the AI was retarded, the controls were fucked up, and UI is garish, the people weren't interesting. Your best friend is supposed to introduce you to the Templars but they try to kill you 90% of the game and you have no reason to side with them, and despite being anti-tech they have the same level technology as the other four factions. The only good choice at the end of the game is siding with JC/Helios, which makes any other option irrelevant, not to mention it is just another bad case of Blue/Green/Red endings. It even makes the original Deus Ex's ending look bad because it tries to combine all three endings of the previous game into one.

I hate it.
>>
File: JCDIW.png (309KB, 491x446px) Image search: [Google]
JCDIW.png
309KB, 491x446px
>>389059987

What frosted tips?
>>
I used to defend it, but it's flaws are pretty fucking bad. The loading times are abysmal, regardless of your machine. That coupled with the "room and hallway" levels means you'll spend more time looking at a loading screen than playing the game (especially with all the backtracking you end up doing).

Whoever decided the universal ammo system was a good idea should never work in video games again.
>>
>>389061248
>Garrett can't swim and just instantly drowns at the sight of water
>No rope arrows, climbing gloves are shit and extremely limiting
>Levels are 5 meters long between loading zones
>Every level is flatter than my waifu, no verticality at all (example: Sunken Citadel or whatever, you enter through a grate in the sewers which is basically just under ground level and find this underground cavern that is all completely flat)
>The reputation system fucking sucks ass and you can become god tier reputation with both factions just by doing meaningless oddjobs for them, despite the fact you are literally the person who killed the Pagans' god, or have stolen countless Hammerite artifacts and surely belong in Cragscleft Prison
>Cradle is most overrated level in the entire series
>Third person was focused on more than first person, end result is the game feels like this clunky as fuck body simulator where you get stuck on every crack in the floor or crease in the wall, if you do a 180 turn while standing on a wooden beam you fall off, forward leaning to look over edges was removed because of body simulator third person. You can now look around corners just by third personing everywhere.
>It's buggy as shit and you can lose tons of progress just by jumping and getting stuck in the falling animation even after hitting the ground, which disallows you from jumping again.
>The Keepers somehow have murderous armed hitmen robots or whatever roaming the streets killing everyone despite the fact that they are basically the Thief universe's illuminati and don't ever want to be seen
Just everything about it is this retarded clunkfest. The only good things about Deadly Shadows was the lighting system, it looked pretty good.
>>
>>389058493
if you expected more of Deus Ex yeah its pretty shit
otherwise its a serviceable but forgettable title
>>
Not as good as Deus Ex but I still enjoyed it.

Its okay to enjoy shitty media if you recognize the difference betweent objective analysis and subjective preference
>>
File: 250px-Projectsnowblind[1].jpg (29KB, 250x350px) Image search: [Google]
250px-Projectsnowblind[1].jpg
29KB, 250x350px
Did anyone play Project Snowblind? It was supposed to be a Deus Ex multiplayer game until IW ended up being terrible. It's janky as hell but kind of interesting as a more action based Deus Ex game.
>>
>>389058493

universal

ammo

Literally what the fuck
>>
>>389059987
>Numale
In all fairness, it was kind of in at the time. Even if a little long in the tooth.
>>
>>389062231

Yeah, always liked it. Could've been longer, though.
>>
>>389062387
It's not just inconvenient and annoying, it defies exactly what made Deus Ex good - choice. Certain playstyles are rendered pointless because of ammo consumption.
>>
>>389062714
Universal ammo just turns it into maths. 'What gets me the best damage for the best ammo consumption'. It's so fucking stupid. Part of the fun of Deus Ex was making things work with what you had. You had a room with two mecha-guards and one man in black in it and you had six 10mm rounds, a LAM and the prod. And you figured out a way to solve that problem. Universal ammo removes those sorts of situations because you just have [weapon] until you don't.
>>
>>389061398
Nah, it's not
>>
>>389061762
No, no, frosted nips. He's kind of cold in Antarctica.
>>
>>389059143
>it's a dumb video game so who cares
thats the problem the the original wasn't like that
>>
File: wooden plank.jpg (10KB, 308x319px) Image search: [Google]
wooden plank.jpg
10KB, 308x319px
>>389061248
>the thieves highway.... woah... dude... so this... is the power of the xbox...
>>
>>389063485
It was exactly like that. It was a silly nonsense plot involving illuminatis and AIs but people excused it because the world was cool and cyberpunk.
>>
>>389063660

And because the gameplay was good. IW removed almost all of the gameplay depth to accommodate console hardware that couldn't render levels larger than shoeboxes and console players unable to handle Deus Ex's gameplay.
>>
>>389064430
PS2 had all of Deus Ex's map detail (albeit with more loading screens) and almost all of its gameplay depth.
Xbox had IW which didn't come close.
It isn't console hardware per se that's the issue, rather the expectations of console players.
>>
>>389064430
>and console players unable to handle Deus Ex's gameplay.
They couldn't even handle the story. They had to dumb things down because PCs are good for displaying lots of text, while consoles aren't great at it, and console audiences don't have the patience for it.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.