[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm thinking about buying this on steam for $20. Is it worth it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 3

File: 503641.jpg (202KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
503641.jpg
202KB, 1280x1024px
I'm thinking about buying this on steam for $20. Is it worth it?
>>
>>389043049
Main character's a little fag with a tail. Shit's extremely gay.
>>
Just wait for it to go on sale again you knob.
It's been out since 2000 if you haven't played it yet that's your problem
>>
Just pirate it.
>>
> $20
>>
>>389043049
it's pretty jarring going back to the original pixelated mess on ps1, so yeah why not. There's a sale at the end of next month where it will probably get 50% off, but it's like $10 man who gives a shit may as well get it now if you want to play it now.
>>
>>389043049
I think it's the best final fantasy.
>>
>>389043049
It's definitely worth it. One of the best games out there. It's better than 12, 13, and 15 at least.
>>
>>389043635
>>389043696
It's really not that great of an FF game. It added nothing new to the series.

I would say 12 is definitely a better game.
>>
the PC version has a booster that lets you have no random encounters, the thing that almost ruined the PS1 version because they loaded so fucking slowly.
>>
>>389043049
It's the best FF so you be the judge.
You can emulate it just fine for free though. But if you want it on your steam library, i can't not recommend this game.
>>
>>389043049
If only for the speed hack it is. Amazing game, ungodly slow combat by default.
>>
The trance mechanic is pretty fucking retarded, basically a limit break that pretty much activates whenever the fuck it feels like.
>>
>>389044152
I even forget trance exists. you don't really need it.
>>
>pros

improved graphics
boosters
if you die on a boss you can retry it
still the best OST to a game ever

>Cons

only 8 directional analog control
menus are kind of retarded because it's also designed for mobile
not sure about this one but i think you need a Sqeenix account, not sure about DRM
>>
it's my favorite. May not be yours, but if you like any of the previous ones, you'll love this
>>
>>389043049
Get it just for the Excalibur 2 challenge.

The most rewarding thing I've ever done in vidya.
>>
>>389043049
paying £20 for a game thats almost 20 yrs old. fuck no its not worth it. emulate that shit.
>>
It's the best final fantasy game in my opinion. probably not worth 20 considering that it's almost 2 decade old game.
>>
>>389044861
not rewarding if you turn off encounters though

also if you can get excalibur in under 10 hours you may want to consider speedrunning the game because you shouldn't have to learn many strats to be high on the leaderboards
>>
>>389044152
This annoyed the fuck out of me, but I was thankful it didn't ruin the game for me.

>know a boss is coming up
>two characters have their trance gage almost up to max, one or two hits will activate it
>rush to the check point as quickly as possible praying that I don't run into a random battle
>run into a random battle
>enemy hits both characters and trance gague is set back to 0
>have to start boss fight without trance or build it back up with random battles again
>>
>>389044997
I did it on PAL using no glitches, no FMV skips, no turbo controller, no PS2 double disc speed etc.

It was the most mentally challenging thing I've ever done. I wanted to do it without any cheats or glitches, it would still be hard with but I'd recommend doing it in the right way.

Unbelievably btw, I did it with less than 1 minute remaining.....
>>
>>389044013
Agreed it added nothing new to the series but I really don't think that was the overall intent of the game. It was meant for those to relieve the fun they had playing FF 1-8. The story was solid and the characters were like able. You gave a darn about what was going on. More than what I can say for games made after 10.
>>
It's one of the shorter FF games. Definitely not worth 20 bucks. Wait for sale. Other than that it was sort of a throwback to the fantasy/light steampunk origins of final fantasy before they went full cyberpunk shitshow with the series.
>>
>>389045079
the only time i remember it working as what i assume is intended, is the black waltz fight on the airship when vivi trances. Because it's meant to be related to the characters emotional state (they're all black mages, etc)...

I get it... but it's a stupid mechanic.

>>389045176
that's pretty cool, did deathguise kill you afterwards or did you finish the run? what level/party etc?
>>
I liked FF9 when it came out, but it was so unremarkable I can't remember a damn thing about it.
>>
>>389043049
Idk if the Steam port is good or not but the game itself is for sure worth $20
>>
>>389045549
>shorter
What? It takes 30 to 40 on average. That's as long as these games take.
>>
>$20 and not remastered
>>
>>389045549
you could probably get used ps1 copy for cheaper anyways if one doesn't want to pirate/emulate old games. i don't know if steam version adds anything to it. probably just slightly better graphics.
>>
File: 1475014086476.jpg (77KB, 616x684px) Image search: [Google]
1475014086476.jpg
77KB, 616x684px
>>389046118
>Took me 80 hours to finish FFVI
>>
>>389046118
There's a built in secret for reaching the end dungeon in 8 hours
It's the smallest psx era final fantasy.
>>
>>389046695
>secret

you mean the booster on PC? that's just cheating.

or do you mean the taking out the cd to skip cutscenes, also cheating.
>>
>>389046695
Not on the original. It took me 42 hours on my first playthrough 20 years ago.
>>
>>389046695
the WR speedruns for the original US/JAP versions are around 9 to 9.5 hours.
>>
>>389047152
Yeah. It's on the original. There's a certain spot in the final dungeon where if you stand there the camera changes and the game stops as though there's about to be a cutscene but nothing happens. Basically if you reach that spot in 8 hours of play time there's a secret boss encounter.
>>
>>389047273
Oh, it was just the way you phrased it. It sounded like there was a secret to help you reach it under 8 hours.
>>
>>389047432
Nah. It just goes to show that the main storyline itself is pretty short. There's decent end-game side questing like any other Final Fantasy of the time but the main storyline is shorter than FF8 and way shorter than FF7. It's not a bad game by any stretch. Just not as huge and vast and epic as 7, and even feels smaller than 8.

But yeah. If you want to truly 100% it you have to speed run it and long play it.
>>
File: pond.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
pond.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>389043191
I hated how you couldn't switch him out during the majority of the game. I thought Cloud and Squall were bad, but Zidane managed to take it a step further.
>>
>>389047765
You don't judge a game lenght by how fast can someone beat it. It's how much time the average John Doe does. There's a bunch of content that cross your way in these games that obviously, if you wanna just finish it fast, you'll ignore, but no one that is arriving at the first time will. Like i said, my first was 42 hours and i beat this game 3 times, each time i did quests i never did before. So there's plenty of stuff.
>>
>>389048047
I judge a game however I see fit to judge a game.
If you can't handle differing opinions tumblr is that way.
>>
>>389045758
Went onto complete it. Was incredibly satisfying boosting up my levels after having been restricted so heavily throughout to that point.

I had quina, zidane and Freya. Would change characters a lot throughout depending on the upcoming bosses though. Quina was absolutely critical though.
>>
>>389048505
Quina is pretty good for making bosses sleepy
>>
>>389043049
I don't remember it being 20 bucks when it came out and I got this on release day (not steam, ps1.)

just get ps version isos.
>>
>>389047765
You can overflow the timer to get Excalibur 2, read long time ago someone actually did that on a real PS2. Myself I want to eventually do a perfect game minus Ex2 that means getting maximum amount of every item too.

Also can't remember seeing this site linked in FF9 threads http://letao.is-a-geek.net/ff9stats/
>>
>>389048748
In fact it was 60 bucks.
>>
>>389048429
This isn't an opinon debate. It's just wrong. Unless you think Morrowind is a 5 minutes game and Symphony of The Night is a 2 minutes long experience. Just wrong.
>>
>>389045758
Trance with Freya when your team's about to be wiped is amazing.
>>
the jump rope minigame is impossible to get to 1000 jumps legitly
>>
>get FFIX strategy guide
>it tells me to go online for everything
>internet barely existed
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.