[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How much HZ can the human eye actually see? At what rate does

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: truman show.jpg (40KB, 698x400px) Image search: [Google]
truman show.jpg
40KB, 698x400px
How much HZ can the human eye actually see? At what rate does it become indistinguishable?

Pic unrelated.
>>
An average reaction is around 250ms but our eyes recognize sooner, so I wouldn't be too surprised if 480hz worked for most consumers. I could easily be wrong on this though.
>>
>>389040446
Probably over 200
>>
>>389039663
Depends from person to person, the average is somewhere in the ballpark of 240th of a second for visual recognition (as in, you're able to tell what flashed there) and no one has ever tested the upper range for mere recognition, but it's most likely absurdly high.
>>
It's not that straightforward. The perceived image isn't directly based on the activation of light-sensitive cells in retina to begin with (for example, you only see with high resolution in the focal point of the eye, a roughly 6 degree arc, and the rest of the perceived image isn't a pixelated mess because the brain remembers what it looked like last time it was looked at directly or otherwise comes up with an image). Brain doesn't work in "ticks" in which it fully processes the image before starting to work on the next "frame". The amount of photons hitting cells in retina affects when they fire as opposed to rods and cones firing x times a second. And so on.

There have been tests in which fighter pilots have recognized shapes that flashed for 1/250ths of a second in a dark room for example, but that's not really the "FPS" you see at either. You could perceive a nanosecond of incredibly intense light too because that moment is enough to cause all light-sensitive cells to fire, but that doesn't translate to the flash lasting a nanosecond in perceived time. And then there's a difference between simply being able to tell a difference between footage rendered at x FPS and being able to act on it any faster.

I believe for most people the former, in normal light conditions etc, plateaus at slightly below 200FPS, but cognitive processes for being able to act on that information are substantially slower.
>>
>>389041443
tl;dr
>>
>>389041567
read that shit you uncultured fucker, anon wrote all that so that you may get a little bit less ignorant
>>
>>389041781
lol nope
>>
>>389039663
0-17 you perceive no motion, only still images
17-48 you perceive motion but its snappy
49-600 you perceive the motion as fluid, but you can still notice that its not actually motion but many still images
600+ indistinguishable from real motion

(600 is just an average, it ranges from 250 to 2000, varying from person to person)
>>
>>389042179
>There are people who view the real world only in 250 fps
>>
>>389042179
source?
>>
>>389041443
Smart sounding
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.