[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts on the Diablo-like/clone genre?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5

File: header.jpg (38KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
38KB, 460x215px
Thoughts on the Diablo-like/clone genre?
>>
>>389037145
They've all fundamentally failed to capture what made D2 great
>>
Love it.
>>
>>389037145
the modding scene alone for Grim Dawn puts diablo 3 to shame, my game install has about 26 classes to choose from and you can dual class in that arpg
>>
for diablo clones to be great they need to stop being diablo clones

diablo 2 was great but there are dozens of flaws and areas of improvement
>>
>>389037241
diablo has the most generic story and lore, and yet it somehow has the best atmosphere of all diablolike games. PoE may have better mechanics but fails hard in that department. Torchlight is a joke, and D3 is even worse than Torchlight. Haven't played Grim Dawn yet.
>>
>>389038741
>diablo has the most generic story and lore, and yet it somehow has the best atmosphere of all diablolike games.
it's good the best music, sound and imagery

who the fuck needs some donut steel backstory when you've got the devil, medieval crypts and spooky skeletons?
>>
>>389037145
i enjoyed torchlight 2 a lot
>>
Can't enjoy PoE enough to max level.

I used to enjoy Marvel heroes a while back.
>>
>>389039080
that's what i am talking about. You don't need a grand story, just the way you present it is enough to make a great game. It's easier to follow too.
>>
>>389037145
I fucking love Grim Dawn and cannot wait for the expansion.
>>
>>389037145
I love Hack'n Slash, but Torchlight II is weird.

I did every quest I could find, cleaned every area the best I could, but I still went to Chapter III or IV underleveled and had to stop.
>>
>>389037145
Torchlight 1, 2 and Titan Quest have amazing campaigns
>>
File: octopussy.jpg (611KB, 2550x3300px) Image search: [Google]
octopussy.jpg
611KB, 2550x3300px
>>389037145
Torchlight 2 is the Diablo 3 we deserved. Diablo 3 is a decent Diablo clone.

Those are my thoughts. Torchlight 3 is never gonna happen unfortunately. Because Ruinic has forgotten Diablos now.
>>
>>389039197
Kind of an odd statement to make. PoE generally isn't meant to be played until max level. Usually those are the extremely min-maxers who follow meta trends and builds. You can do fine with your own unique build or some generic cookie-cutter one. I enjoyed the hell out of PoE only making it to around level 60-80 in each 4-month league.
>>
>>389039242
it's not even the story that's important, just the setting
you can have a dark crypt filled with walking dead and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdpBFsi2Gg4 playing with no need to know anything about diablo or horadrim to enjoy it
>>
>>389037145
Torchlight 1 is comfy as fuck as long as you mod Dark Zealots' lightning to not be automatic unavoidable death.
Torchlight 2 lost a lot of the charm of the first game and the skill system is really tedious.
I couldn't get through Titan Quest because the controls were weird and the game was super duper long.
POE is a grindfest with a fun but heavily flawed skill system.

Almost makes me want to make my own one.
>>
Diablo clones tickle my autism.
>>
>>389039670
this is so fucking sinister, i love it
>>
>>389039885
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faJGZ3Kbkes
>>
>>389037145
I bought D3 and played for good 70-80 hours.
Combat is good (Better than any other game)
But I cant play it anymore.

The concept of Seasons is absolute garbage.
Having to start from start and get the same gear over and over again is awful.

I can do it fine with games like WoW where "season" is an expansion every 2 years but it gets new content
Meanwhile PoE/D3 and their season are just pointless.
I somewhat regret buying D3. If D4 is the same shit season crap instead of MMO type they seem to be making, then im not getting it no matter how good it is.
>>
Torchlight 2 is one of the only games to actually put me to sleep.
>>
>>389040386
meanwhile in poe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwIr6YDG7b0
>>
>>389040863
act 5 sucked desu
>>
the ossuary was the best zone visually wise in the expansion imo
>>
File: 51234123.jpg (149KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
51234123.jpg
149KB, 700x700px
>>389041119
>tfw the only good thing about act 5 was Avarius and they're inevitably going to nerf him
>>
>>389041331
I feel like the PoE bosses have just devolved into a bunch of AoE zones you have to dodge, and dodging in this game is way too simple to be much different between each challenge
>>
>>389037145
I don't know how people can play these games. I played path of exile for a good 3 hours before I realized I was literally left clicking on monsters the entire time. They are all like that. It is kinda cool picking what spells you want to spam, but there is no real depth to the gameplay. You don't even have to think about anything.
>>
>>389040631
>he never played D2
Sad!
>>
>>389041686
I have autism and I like repetition.
>>
>>389040631
If you think the rewards/challenges or added mechanisms (in PoE) of the season and leagues are pointless, why would you play them?

There are non-seasonal characters in D3 and the standard league in PoE.

>Having to start from start and get the same gear over and over again is awful.

Then simply don't.
>>
>>389041282
I'd like to have updated and added masters soon. One that offers a hideout in the ossuary tileset.
>>
>>389042016
I think you are just afraid of failure. You KNOW that every time you click a monster it will instantly die and that comforts you. Channel your autism into a valuable hobby.
>>
d4 should
>be third person
>have block/dodge/parry/strong attack/etc melee combat and aim-based ranged combat
>be linear open world
>actually be hard
>be spooky and actually make you uneasy/intimidated when faced with things like new enemies
>make town portals rare/restricted so you don't feel like you've got a safety button at every single point
prove me wrong
>>
>>389042703
i don't know anon
i don't know what you mean by linear open world
i can't say no to that though
>>
its amazing how much worse Torchlight 2 ended up over its original.

sure there are basic improvements, but in general the game felt like shit
>>
>>389037145
Torchlight was boring
Grim dawn missed the mark
PoE is bland but the char building aspect is nice I guess
Trying torchlight 2 atm but it seems dull sofar. Hopefully the D2 remaster is good.
>>
>>389043367
The best part of Torchlight 2 is act 3, which is a shame because act 2 is like 75% of the game. The pacing is really fucked. """"act"""" 4 is just one dungeon with one floor copypasted six times with the same enemies the whole way.
>>
File: giphy.gif (2MB, 424x466px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
2MB, 424x466px
>>389042703
>linear open world
>>
>>389042703
if they made it more like gothic and less like diabloclone it'd be good. showering the player with loot would just feel like a borderlands clone with swords
>>
>>389044330
it's an open world but you're directed through it via quests/levels
>>
Games haven't been good since D2. I'd sooner play a D2 mod than buy into the schemes of its clones.

And Grim Dawn was so abysmal that it put me to sleep.
>>
>>389037145
Grim Dawn is the only one that managed to get it right.
The others either fucked up the atmosphere, fucked up progression, or fucked up the items.
>>
File: header.jpg (60KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
60KB, 460x215px
Rogue update never ever
>>
>>389037145
Wish they could make diablo-like clones into an MMO. One with good class support.

Torchlight had very limited class. Too simplistic and too cartoony.

PoE had very good class system, but the tree/talent system was way too complex that you needed a spreadsheet/external programs/tools to make use of the game. You can't trade proper without using external third party tools. You can't use proper specs without spending few days/weeks/months into understanding the proper specs.

Grimdawn had good controls and medium level complexity(between the above two). Its pretty good.

Still I would like for more class configuration and more MMO aspect. Auction house type trading system would be neat.
>>
Diablo 3 is only fun if you are playing couch co-op with friends
>>
>>389047182
nah, tried it once with 3 friends whilist heavy drinking
they were checking some stupid fucking item that just dropped and you couldn't get them to stop (if one person opens the inventory the whole game stops)
>>
>>389047806
uhhh...what? Is the console version that fucking bad?
>>
>>389048601
Yea thats how it works. One person looks in their inventory it pauses the whole gaem.
>>
How do you guys even play Grim Dawn multiple times when it doesn't have randomized levels?
>>
>>389037145
I'd say if you play with Synergies and highloot, and preferably essentials, it's a 10/10 ARPG

Though i'm using normal essentials with synergies and getting bugs in the ember steps, so I think I'll test out the synergy essentials shit and see if that's better.
>>
I really want to like the genre but I feel I am getting burned out by it.

>Played PoE when open beta started. Was fun for a few months but melee builds were terrible, too scared of getting ripped off in trades, and can't stand how unsatisfying the combat felt.
>Played Titan Quest up to Act 3 and got bored. Item customization was not enticing and I feel the pace is too slow.

I still have Torchlight 2 sitting on my computer. Heard it was also pretty boring but the synergies mod make up for it somewhat.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.