[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Arma 3 is $14 on Steam right now. How good is it and should I buy it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

File: header (1).jpg (32KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
header (1).jpg
32KB, 460x215px
Arma 3 is $14 on Steam right now.
How good is it and should I buy it?
>>
>>389007407
Personally for me, the arma series is my favorite video game franchise of all time.

Essentially you will be provided access to a cosmic fuckton of high quality mods presenting anything from some of the most realistic Vietnam warfare in vidya, to 100 players battling it out via battle royale.

But it also depends on what you are after. For me, I have 800 hours just dicking around in the editor and occasionally playing with friends. With mods such as ALIVE, IFA3, and UNSUNG, I can make missions involving hundreds/thousands of AI Combatants over huge maps in the era of my choice. I personally love doing this shit and just getting immersed in the world I created. But this isn't for everyone - most of my buddies hate doing this shit and just want combat. For me, its in the sense of scale, immersion, and realism
>>
>>389007832
But yeah following up on this : http://alivemod.com/ this is one of the greatest mods ever created and is unlike anything I have ever seen in a video game. Learning how to use this in conjunction with some custom units/maps/eras and its the greatest. But that's just me
>>
>>389007987
ayyy ALIVE is fucking rad, but making missions which fully take advantage of it is balls hard
hell i always look for new dudes to play with even for just vanilla
>>
>>389008240
Eh, just spend like an hour following the tutorials they got online and you'll already be on your way.

Though then again, I've been modding/contributing to mods for 10 years at this point, so it's pretty easy to me.
>>
>>389009749
so what did you make if any mod at all
i created a mod to combine features of ACE, TFAR and RHS:USAF into a neat package instead of configuring per unit
though with the upcoming changes BI constantly break everything so fuck that noise
>>
>>389009880
Mission editing and SQF scripting is my main forte in the ArmA-Verse. Though I have contributed to ALIVE with map indexing. Most of my total-conversion modding experience comes from other games (but I used it as an example as the knowledge gained there is pretty universal across modding on any platform and understanding the stepping-stones behind any sort of content creation)

I have done what you're talking about before with AI mods and yeah ran into the same issues lmao so I just gave that up.
>>
>>389010292
oho i think i know who you are now, you the guy with the basketball player as avatar?
also what do you think of the render to texture stuff? i recently created a fun little mission which included seeing the next objective with it
i also found out the hold action function have problems setting values but can call as many functions as you would like, BI pls
>>
>>389007407
Join Broma.
>>
File: 1498920473740.jpg (18KB, 351x468px) Image search: [Google]
1498920473740.jpg
18KB, 351x468px
>>389007407
If you aren't playing with a group and using a sizable mod set, you might as well not even be playing at all.
>>
>>389010541
Close - hockey player lmao. I have the night of nights IFA3 mission on the workshop.

I've haven't tried either of those things you mention though that texture thing sounds cool. And that last bit doesn't
suprise me at all lmao, half of BI's shit doesn't work as intended or if it does, has major compatibility issues bringing it into a multiplayer environment with locality and all.
>>
does it have decent singlplayer content?
>>
>>389011093
i dont see the locality problems, i try to use modules and bis functions for everything seeing as they typically take care of MP compat stuff
try what i made to see the stuff in action https://www.dropbox.com/s/19v87n3y4a4v5fx/Malden_good_Morning.Malden.zip?dl=0

>>389011221
nope, arma is very much a multiplayer originated game
the first official campaign is a god damm mess and yes im still mad they went the guerrilla route
>>
>>389011620
Do you run your missions ever on dedicated servers? That's where the problems arise. Even getting hints to display across every client can be troublesome at times. You're right that BI functions are the best way to tackle it, but even then when trying to use everything in conjunction with the basic trigger system in the editor I can hit some bumpy roads.

add me on steam and send that my way and I'll check it out later - currently on my mobile
>>
>>389011957
>add me on steam
welp if only i knew who to add

hint "forgot to include valid steam id";
>>
>>389012278
It's either burdy or burdy323 and the avatar is the hockey player
>>
>>389012446
yeah okay added
man thats a lot of burdy´s flying around
>>
>>389011620
How high would the learning curve be for Arma 3?
>>
>>389013524
vanilla? not that hard once you can remember all the fucking keybinds
modded? set sail for fail we are doing a 90 degree slope

m-maybe i can be your drill instructor for tonight
>>
>>389007407
It's not playable without ACE3, but once it's on it's pretty good. Just make sure advanced medical and advanced ballistics is on.
>>
>>389007407
You're about 4 years too late to be honest. Unless you're getting into it for missions with mates, to join ShackTactical it's basically dead.

Planetside killed the CTI game mode and PubG killed it's KotH and BR game modes.
>>
>>389007407
I don't have any friends who have it so Co-op/MP isn't that great for me. Playing around in the editor is great though if your into that kinda thing.
>>
>>389013992
>starts by showing some of the most annoying features to get working
sure bro, why dont you show him the broken wind measuring tools too
>>
>>389014674
You mean the kestrel? What's broken about it?
>>
>>389014854
last time i checked it, which is roughly 11 months ago i saw the data from the range cards and kestrel was often fucked up, a few test shots at 300 meters proved so
besides dont you think showing that kind of screenshot is way overwhelming to newcomers? i had people nope the fuck out over relative simple manual mortaring
>>
File: 20160923010041_1.jpg (1MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
20160923010041_1.jpg
1MB, 3840x2160px
>>389014854
you didn't lose power to the port booster, you lost the port booster!
>>
>>389011221
IF you search the work shop or armaholic (or jsut google Arma 3 SP mission) you'll get a fk ton of user created stuff from set defined missions or randomly generated wars. Ravage is a nice in-progress DayZ esc mod if you're into that survival type of game.
>>
arma is fun as hell, I've put 3k hours into 2 and 3 but do yourself a favour and avoid the autism mods like ACE and shit until you're really comfortable with the game. anyone who tells you otherwise is probably a friendless autist.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.