[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Have any games gone beyond a "final death mode"?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

File: IoX6FDh.jpg (964KB, 2822x2117px) Image search: [Google]
IoX6FDh.jpg
964KB, 2822x2117px
You know how there are "final death modes" in some games where if you die, your save file is erased/deleted and you have to start over with a new save file? Ultra-Nightmare, Mac's Last Stand, etc. Have any games gone one step further and created a mode where if you die, the *game* is erased? That is, the actual game program gets bricked/corrupted or otherwise becomes non-functional forever after you die.
>>
>>388981262
No because there's no way to enforce it. I know one game that tried to do it, the name escapes me but it was ultimately pointless because data can just be altered by the user to make it playable again, it's impossible to permanently stop a player from accessing the game ever again
>>
>>388981262
I sure hope not, because that sounds stupid as fuck.
>>
>>388982159

Killswitch
>>
there is a game in which every time you die a random file gets deleted on your pc, called lose/lose.
>>
>>388982283

Er nevermind that's supposed the game that deletes when you win
>>
>>388981262
There are a couple of flash games that do this but I don't remember what they are called.
>>
>>388981262
That's be retarded. The next best step up is "Try this mode, if you die, you can't play this mode again or for X hours"
>>
I recall hearing about an old game where the enemy had taken hostages, and if they get killed the game permanently deletes from the floppy disk.
>>
dont mind me just posting the objectively best track from nu doom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYVFXYEm_Mw
>>
>>388982727
I do you remember that one where you cured cancer but it accidentally starred killing everyone and you had to choose how to spend the last few days of your life?
>>
I believe theres a game on Steam that can only played until you die then it becomes unplayable
>>
File: Steel-Battalion.jpg (3MB, 4177x3321px) Image search: [Google]
Steel-Battalion.jpg
3MB, 4177x3321px
>At the beginning of every mission, the player must 'start up' the machine and operating system; this is handled through a series of switches and buttons dedicated to this purpose. If a corner is turned too fast, the machine will tumble over. If the player's machine overheats, its operating system must be reset. The game even simulates window wipers in case of mud hitting the monitor. If the player does not eject when prompted, the player's in-game character will die, and all saved data will be lost, causing the player to start over.
>>
>>388981262
Wasn't there some multiplayer shooter which revolved around this concept? Except from what I remember instead of just killing a player you could for example enslave him or something, basically the whole game was full of "how much are you willing to do to keep on playing?" concepts. I think it got stuck on steam greenlight, can't remember the name.
>>
Yes I loved that one. One Chance
>>
XD there shuld be a game wher if u die in the game u die in reel lyf!!!
>>
>>388983638
One opportunity?
>>
>>388981262
>>388982727
I remember one that's a parody of Mario, if you die, Bowser gets arrested for code violations. If you manage to kill him, you're arrested for murder. Reloading the game gets you the game over screen.
I think it's One Live, or something like that.
>>
ZombiU had a feature like that, though I think thats only after you beat the main game.
>>
>>388983254
Oh yeah where you choose to either go to work to find a vaccine or spend your last moments with your daughter?
if you keep going to work, you end up finding a vaccine. But you and your daughter will be the only survivors on the entire planet as everything else dies around you
>>
There's some flash game on Newgrounds where you're trying to cure a plague in 10 days or something and if you fuck it up you die along with the rest of the human race. If you lose, you can't restart the game even if you exit the page and come back, although I guess you could probably just clear your cache or something.
>>
>>388981262
undertale did this
>>
File: 1501364238558.jpg (195KB, 500x629px) Image search: [Google]
1501364238558.jpg
195KB, 500x629px
Yes. Lose/lose is a shmup in which you shoot at aliens that are program files on your pc. You could possibly delete the game or necessary startup files by playing.

http://www.stfj.net/art/2009/loselose/
>>
>>388983838
Repopulating is going to be awkward.
>>
Doesn't the steam version of x3 have this mode? It doesn't delete the game, but you can never play with that start again.
>>
>>388981262
That's the dumbest shit I've ever heard. Just put your face through the monitor when you lose.
>>
there's that Kojima quote about a zombie game idea where you have to buy a new copy of it if you die. That may have just been copypasta, I can't recall.
>>
>DXMD has 1-life mode
>still makes you do the tutorial
>still makes you sit through the 5 minute long intro

if they're gonna copy DOOM's nightmare mode they could have at least copied the good parts.
>>
>>388982432
aren't the enemies also your files?
>>
>>388983926
No it didn't, at no point does it become unplayable or bricked regardless of death or story actions
>>
>>388984615
Yeah. When you kill an enemy it deletes a file from your computer.
>>
Steam shovel harry did this, except the punishment was listening to the obnoxious intro every time you died
>>
I for one play the hardest difficulty ever. I die in a game, I blow my brains out.

I've been waiting for so long, my gun has been getting dusty.
>>
>>388982432
please tell me the final boss is system32!
>>
>>388984856
Very funny. Ha ha.
>>
There's one involving sniping a man but it sucks
>>
>>388981262
I don't get why deleting your file on death became so popular, aside from the "get gud" cancer crowed. What if a glitch or some other bullshitery caused your death?

Dead Space 2 on PS3 did it right with the only three saves challange
>>
>>388982974
Just set the floppy to read only then
>>
>>388986325
Because it's an exhilarating experience as long as the game is finely tuned and balanced specifically for the mode.
>>
>>388984060
OwO
>>
>>388982271
This
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.