[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can games "age" or is that just a meme?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 1.jpg (29KB, 852x480px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
29KB, 852x480px
Can games "age" or is that just a meme?
>>
Can a film or a book age?

All media is understood in the context of its contemporaries and its predecessors. When that context changes, the item's relative quality can shift dramatically. What might have been innovative and creative may become half baked and awkward.
>>
Games absolutely age and only nostalgiafaggots argue otherwise
>>
Games can age pretty weirdly I guess. People age, games don't.

Jack Lemmon is still as funny now as he as back then.
>>
>>388962636
This, except vydia tends to age faster, since it depends on gameplay mechanics and visual graphics.
>>
Ocarina of Time aged like milk and is now unplayable.

Same with Half-Life 2, but that was more exposing it for the boring shooter it was, with some kindergarten level physics puzzles tossed in for good measure. Only Portal was a success in the Source engine.
>>
>>388963936
garbage taste
>>
>>388963971
My condolences that you consume feces hand over fist.
>>
>>388963936
half life 2 is totally great to this day.
>>
>>388962636
Except a lot of books and films have transcendent lasting power that make them enjoyable for any generation that has halfway decent taste. Of course this isn't the case for most works, but the best do, ditto for vidya
>>
Yes, because unlike a lot of other mediums vidya is reliant on technology. People have gone way overboard with the aged shit though. You get people calling games a couple of years old aged.
>>
>>388962636
This. Good post.
>>
>>388964170
Agreed. Those are the games (or books or films) which are timeless.
>>
in the sense that their context changes based on what other works become available, yes. Some hold up in context of all other games / media. Others are eclipsed by games that are made after the fact.
>>
>>388962636
books don't age, they become shitter and shitter. probably the same for cinema.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.