[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Terraria vs. Starbound

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 7

File: 1503250392947.jpg (17KB, 510x288px) Image search: [Google]
1503250392947.jpg
17KB, 510x288px
Which one did it better? Which is more deserving of my hard earned shekels?
>>
They don't aim for the same product. Starbound was a terraria clone only at the beginning.

I see this thread constantly and it just leads to Terraria and Starbound fags bickering over something they don't seem to get.

Both games are good for entirely different reasons. The bad buzz surrounding Starbound is irrelevant at this point. The devs made up for it.

The good buzz surrounding Terraria is exaggerated but not something to ignore. Both are good. Just pirate both of them or something.
>>
>>388959737
Why did Starbound have such a bad reputation?
I got into it a couple months ago and was amazed at how much it improved the terraria formula with things terraria's devs were incompetent to do
What is the deal?
>>
>>388959737
It's ironic how terraria fanboys shit on starbound for being a clone of when, when terraria itself was being shat upon for being a minecraft clone instead
Turns out both of them evolved to surpass its predecessor
>>
>>388959737
>They don't aim for the same product
>The bad buzz surrounding Starbound is irrelevant at this point.

I played this shit since the early access and I can totally say that its still a piece of shit that needs at least 60 mods to be BARELY playable
And its still trying to copy terraria, and still doing a really bad job at it
>>
>>388959973
Because of how long it took it was to reach the state its in, or just a decent fun playable state in general
>>
>>388959973
When it first came out the developers were going through a bit of trouble. They were trying to relocate their offices to a centralized place (they were all working in different countries at the time).

This added delays to update, and it seemed like a dead on arrival early access game.

There was also a period of time where there was a nightly update mode the game had that people didn't seem to realize existed.

I repeatedly saw threads on here claiming the game wasn't receiving updates, during one of the games most active dev cycles. People seemingly got confused because it wasn't getting updates directly through steam and instead was updating in client.

>>388960187
I can't imagine how you could claim the current game is trying to copy Terraria. action RPG styled quest lines, city hubs, etcetc. Its truly not focusing on what Terraria focuses on anymore.
>>
>>388959973
It took forever to update after its initial EA release, leading to rumors of abandonware.

Then, each update removed features that they decided were too hard to implement, even though mods had expanded on and balanced them in the absence of official patches.

Then they scrapped the individual races stories and free exploration for Mass Effect: Fanfiction main story line.
>>
>>388959973
Starbound is a shit game.

1: Every world is the same shit, just with different colored dirt and different colored trees
2: From the very start of the game to the very end, you only see the same 4 or 5 enemy types.
3: You can't use your deconstruction tools during missions, even though it's a core element of the game
4: All the armor and weapons function exactly the same for the entire game, just with bigger numbers. Rarely you might find a unique weapon, but it will quickly get replaced by a generic rifle or sword that does more damage.
5: You get all your special ability slots filled up after like 15 minutes of playing the game

The overall result is that the game is exactly the same from the very start till you beat the final boss. You never get anything new or fun except that eventually you can make a useless vehicle.

Compare this to Terraria where the biomes are actually functionally different and not just different colors, where you're constantly facing new and actually unique enemies as you progress, and where a new tier of weapon or armor will actually be significantly different and have special abilities.
>>
>>388959973
Because of Re-Logic shills
>>
File: w.jpg (21KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
w.jpg
21KB, 480x360px
>>388959268
I enjoy both.

Terraria is comfy at building and taking over a world. But eventaully you get sick of running around the same map.

Starbound has more customization and exploration, but its lacks the depth Terraria does.
>>
>>388959268
For me it's Terraria > Starbound.
Starbound just feels a bit TOO openworld ( with little content )
Imagine starbound is borderlands. Except it has 50000 worlds of the same shit.
>>
Starbound has come a long way from the absolutely pig disgusting dogshit early access. It's a fun and entertaining game now. Very flawed, but fun.

Terraria completely blows it away. Terraria is consistently high quality and gets more enjoyable the more you play. It has dramatically more content and everything feels good. If you can only play one, there is no choice. If you have played Tterraria to death and you want something fresh that's also good and fun, move on to Starbound. If you have a lot of friends that play Starbound and no one that plays Terraria, Starbound may be the better buy in that scenario.
>>
>>388960968
I'm really glad there's more people here who don't always have to pit games against each other.

Both are nice.
>>
I'm playing Terraria now and loving it, getting close to Moon Lord which is basically the final boss I think? Probably gonna get Starbound on sale though because birds
>>
>>388961194
The thing I dislike about Terraria is combat feels like shit to me. The movement in general I prefer in Starbound by a large margin. Honestly if Terraria just updated their movement and combat, it would beat the shit out of Starbound for pretty much everyone I think. Its the main thing Starbound does "better".
>>
>>388960968
>But eventaully you get sick of running around the same map.

That's much more of a problem with Starbound than with Terraria, because aside from the dirt being a different color every planet is identical. I played the game to completion and I think the only time I ever actually saw something unique on a planet was exactly once when I found a planet that had a weird bug hive thing with worm stones and bug monsters. Other than that I never encountered anything that wasn't just something I've seen before with a pallet swap.

>land on planet
>run lap around the entire surface
>same enemies I saw on planet 1 but with bigger numbers
>a few villages of the native species with shitty randomly generated quests
>a few structures with hostile humanoids with weapons

wow it's fucking nothing
>>
>>388959268
>tfw consolefag
>finally got terraria for PC
>there's web ropes and a golden rabbit
Crazy shit. Crafting is difficult to get used to though, it's not in a category and is a fucking list for some reason.
>>
>>388961505
When did you last play? I can't say I find this planet critique still valid, although I would still prefer even more variety, there's plenty of cool stuff to find from underwater cities to unique cave systems. Still there's a lot of repetition as there is with all randomly generated content but it seems fine to me at this point. I may have low standards though.

When the game first came out every single planet was the exact same though outside of finding those pirate ships basically.
>>
>>388961431
How far into terraria did you get? The combat and movement change massively from the gear you pick up. At the start you're slow and your weapons suck but once you start getting dash boots and jet boots and double jumps and grappling hooks and weapons with long range or machine guns the movement feels good.

Pretty much the whole point of Terraria is that you get noticeably better in every way over time, especially in terms of movement
>>
>>388960849
/thread
>>
>>388961689
I played when they first released the beta and you summoned bosses to your planet using an item, and then I played again when the game was announced as finished and had the tentacle planet final boss.
>>
>>388961735
I got decently far but, just in comparison to Starbound which starts out with good feeling movement and then has most of the things you listed which improves it even more, I just didn't find myself enjoying Terraria as much despite the content being significantly better. I think i'm gonna give the game another shot though.
>>
If you're cool with needing mods to turn the game into a good game, Starbound can get pretty great.

If you're not into that idea, Terraria is going to be the better choice. Even if you are into mods, Terraria may be the better choice depending on what you're looking for. It definitely has the best content.
>>
>>388959973
Because Starbound was literally a scam for three years.

I paid $30 for it in April of 2013 and it wasn't playable, not simply incomplete but a completely unplayable jumble of non-functioning game elements, until July of 2016.
Keep in mind during this 3+ year experience there wasn't a single meaningful update and the only interaction the developers had with buyers were images they posted of the office all watching EVO and hosting Starcraft tournaments.
>>
>>388959268
Do all the enemies/planets in starbound still feel the same? Am I still required to have a minimum armor tier to fight the boss and go to a different climate?
>>
>>388962185
If you play Terraria again, I suggest you make it a priority to search underground and the surface for treasure chests and try to find Dash Boots, cloud in a bottle, magic mirror, and build a grappling hook. They make the movement feel much better. If you can find Goblin Tinkerer the jet boots are also a must have.
>>
>>388962446
>I paid $30 for it in April of 2013

So you're dumb then.
>>
>>388962697
What about flurry boots?
>>
>>388962741
Could be worse, He could've bought edge of space.
I want to die.
>>
>>388962741
>He's never fallen for a scam
I don't feel too bad about it, Starbound was the first multimillion dollar kickstarter game to turn out to be a scam
>>
>>388962697
Yea I recall cloud in a bottle and grappling hooks making the game significantly more enjoyable. They at least made exploration less of a chore. Thanks for the heads up.
>>
File: DImyEC_XkAENTzW.jpg (62KB, 1014x1024px) Image search: [Google]
DImyEC_XkAENTzW.jpg
62KB, 1014x1024px
>>388960968
it has a very different progression system

starbound forces you to explore other planets
youre only gated by crafting your protection gear from radiation, extreme cold, etc having better gear is optional because you can avoid the combat. also FTL fuel for traveling

terraria just forces you to explore deeper
youre gated by boss fights which are also tied to having better gear

i prefer terraria's progression
starbound has an enjoyable base building/colonizing sim game if youre into that kind of thing
frozen ocean biomes are real comfy for me
>>
>>388962823
When I saw "dash boots" I mean the Hermes Boots, the Sailfish Boots or the Flurry Boots. They're all functionally identical and let you run fast.

Gotta find that goblin tinkerer so you can make Spectre boots though. And then glorious Lightning Boots
>>
I love both Terraria has probably the best sense of progression ever in any game while Starbound has so much stuff thrown into it I could spend years hoarding stuff and still find something new
>>
>>388959268
>starbound
LEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEL
>>
>>388959268
Personally I find terraria more fun that starbound,
both are good though
>>
>>388962585
There's 2 types of enemies in Starbound unique unchanging and procgen both are boring to fight against unless you get a mod or two that adds diversity to enemy attacks and no you can fight bosses naked and come out unscathed if your decent at dodging
>>
>>388962937
I know this feel anon...
>>
Is it strange I wish mods swapped games? In starbound I love the frackin universe mod and how it's basically newgame+ while in Terraria I love thorium and all the cool shit it adds and keeps it well balanced
>>
>>388962937
Atleast you didn't buy cubeworld somewhere in the back of my mind I still have a wee bit of hope left that it'll get updated...
>>
>>388965487
Cubeworld is dead forever.
>>
File: 1503985155201.jpg (171KB, 427x612px) Image search: [Google]
1503985155201.jpg
171KB, 427x612px
>>388959737
fpbp
>>
>>388959268
Does starbound have 3500+ items?
>>
Call me fag, but for me...
Starbound is a better No man's Sky than No man's Sky
>>
>>388967146
No Man's Sky was just supposed to be 3D Starbound and they couldn't even pull that off. Truly embarrassing.
>>
>>388967146
>>388967210
Why is 3D so shit in comparison to Terraria?
>>
>>388966978
Yes it has around 10000, popular items include red chair, slightly redder chair, green chair BUT ITS SQUARE! orange bed orange bed BUT WITH GREEN SHEETS!
>>
>>388967347
Starbound sounds aesthetic as fuck. How many does Terraria have with the essential mods?
>>
File: 719.jpg (36KB, 557x605px) Image search: [Google]
719.jpg
36KB, 557x605px
>>388967210
Sony just annouced big things coming from an tiny studio with a too huge project.
What did you expected ?
>>
>>388967531
Real answer I'd say 6000 or close to it since Terraria already has full furniture and armor and weapon sets for just about every type of block you can mine up mods not only add more sets to previously non furniture blocks but adds even more armor and shit to preexisting sets
>>
>>388959268
How do I overcome my uncreativity and make something remotely cool that isn't commieblocks?
>>
>>388968074
Take inspiration from the land, build inside of a cave entrance forming the rooms around the cave walls or make a jungle hut in the trees without trying to destroy them in the process
>>
File: 1503085796874.png (211KB, 1175x922px) Image search: [Google]
1503085796874.png
211KB, 1175x922px
>>388968074
Don't just make houses, make backgrounds and little shit that's completely useless but looks good
>>
I much preferred terraria. I found starbound way to easy and the randomly generated planets got boring quickly combine that with the fact that the structures and dungeons were all littlery the same. Like there were 2 dungeons and 2 towns for each race doesnt take long to see them all. The fact that all weapons and armor felt increadnly underwhelming and the fact killing monsters had next to no purpose was also a downside. The last major one was the main quest was boring and increadblt easy I beat everything up to the bone dragon with borderline starter gear. It has much better building and the exploration while worse for long term the short term is much better. I still put 28 hours into starbound so I aint complainin but it could had been much better.
>>
>>388960429
bitch youre talking shit there was a huge shitstorm in the community because shekelfuck was to retarded ro handle the game.

a bunch of tumblr pussy and furry retards cant believe youre defending them with the office story. i wonder whos behind that post.

shekelfuck should go to hell with their fucking shit game and their incompetence. god damn i hate those pc people
reeeeeeeeeeeee
>>
>>388968703
What do you mean by backgrounds?
>>
>>388969845
shekelfuck poeple even told the internet there a agenda against them, and they banned all the poeple with real concerns on the communityhub they refused to give refunds. it was an absolut clusterfuck of a publisher. i would recommend to never ever buy a game from them.

>inb4 buying a game.

they even thought whole 4chan is after them.
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.