[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I get into Metroid? Which games are the best for beginners?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 6

How do I get into Metroid?

Which games are the best for beginners?
>>
>>388950287
zero mission
>>
>>388950287
Lets start with some games you already enjoy.
>>
>>388950287

Zero Mission or Super Metroid

If you play Zero Mission first and then feel like super is too slow, look up the Control Freak romhack, makes controls more like Zero Mission and lets you autorun.

Metroid Prime is basically Super in 3D, its an FPS, but controls like a 1st person 3d Zelda in terms of reliance on lockon.

>tfw Metroid Prime 2 was going to be a System Shock 2 style immersive sim on a spaceship dealing with a rogue AI
>>
>>388950714
>tfw Metroid Prime 2 was going to be a System Shock 2 style immersive sim on a spaceship dealing with a rogue AI

Prime 4 could be about that, maybe
>>
>>388950287
Release order is what I'm doing. Metroid NES, Metroid 2, Super Metroid, Metroid Prime, Metroid Fusion, Prime 2, Zero Mission, Prime Pinball, Hunters, Corruption, Other M, Federation Force, and Samus Returns.
>>
File: 1504014718468.jpg (72KB, 745x446px) Image search: [Google]
1504014718468.jpg
72KB, 745x446px
>>388950892
>Sylux traps you into his ship and you have to avoid his rouge AI while trying to stop him from ramming the ship into the Federation HQ
Jesus...
>>
>>388950287
Zero Mission
Super Metroid
Metroid Prime
>>
>>388950287
Metroid/Zero Mission
Metroid II/Samus Returns
Super Metroid
Metroid Fusion
>>
>>388950287
Metroid Fusion or Zero Mission.
>>
>>388950287
Im just getting into the series too and I finished Zero Mission a few days ago. It was really good and I've heard people say it's a good starting point for newcomers. It's a remake of the first game.
>>
File: so you want to play metroid2.png (2MB, 1563x3500px) Image search: [Google]
so you want to play metroid2.png
2MB, 1563x3500px
>>388950287
>>
>>388952238
I never got why Super is the best.
>>
>>388952567
It has "Super" in the title
>>
>>388952567
you should play it sometime
>>
>>388952238
Why is Super the best when the GBA ones do everything better?
>>
>>388952567
for the advanced player, the physics -instead of feeling wonky compared to Fusion or ZM- allow for leaving the intended path and complete the game however you see fit.
and by default it's more open-ended so even an average player can have two very different playthroughs
>>
>>388952238
PREDICT SAMUS RETUNS place in the chart
>>
>>388953438
I started them both this week and the art/animations in Super are much better. Rainfall, way more atmosphere, better music.
>>
>>388953548
Recommended titles.
>>
>>388953548
Recommended most likely, but would be great if Must Play.
>>
>>388952238
I never got this chart:
>Metroid, Metroid II, and Fusion should be under must play because they are the mainline games
>There shouldn't be a recommended titles
>evertyhing else should be under optional since Zero Mission and Samus Returns are remakes that don't contradict the story of the original games, the Prime series are self-contained and are not important in understanding what happens in the four main games
>Federation Force should be with Other M in avoid since they're both shit
>>
>>388952238
Rank AM2R
>>
Play Zero Mission, then Super Metroid, then Fusion. Don't bother with the rest.
>>
>>388954938
The games that are under Must play are there because they are the best in the series and aged extremely well. No one in the right mind would recommend some newcomer Metroid II for their first Metroid game.
>>
>>388954938
>*everything
>>
>>388952238
>tfw no more Hunters online

A fucking handheld arena shooter had no business being as good as that was. when people weren't being action replay cheating pieces of shit
>>
>>388952238
Forgot:
>Titles to avoid: Federation Force
>Simply put, it's a lackluster co-op shooter that barely qualifies as a Metroid game. It's really not worth it.
>>
>>388952238
Prime Hunters is actually worse than Other M.
>>
>>388955380
Zero Mission is questionable
>crappy forced stealth segment
>terrible boss fights
>shortest game in the series
>piss easy
>can't fully explore Zebes until the end of the game
>forced to find Samus ancient abilities for the game's second half
I ended up enjoying Metroid more. With Prime, I ended up enjoying all the 2D games more. Get good with Metroid II.
>>
>>388954938
>fails to understand the picture is a recommendation of Metroid titles based on their qualities, instead of their importance to the overall story arch
>fails to realize the importance of the Prime trilogy towards the Metroid franchise, setting them aside as simple spin-offs
>fails to see the contradiction in arguing that Metroid (NES) is mandatory because it shows an important point of the story, while Zero Mission is unimportant due to the very same reason
>despite failing earlier to understand these titles are recommended based on their quality, still excludes Fed Force and Other M due to their lack of quality
>fails to be consistent in his arguing by excluding Other M, as this should definately be a main line title and thus a must play by his own reasoning
Well I don't know how to put this politely... let me try it like this: The reason why you are incapable of understanding the chart does not come from the chart. It comes from your brain.
>>
>>388956067
See>>388955779
I literally don't give a shit, if you're going to make recommendations, do it right.
>>
File: 1483769222269.png (298KB, 600x512px) Image search: [Google]
1483769222269.png
298KB, 600x512px
>>388955779
You're saying forced as if you regularly have options in other Metroid games. Of course it's "forced" it's linear progression.
Also
>terrible boss fights
As opposed to what, Metroid and Metroid II's boss fights? Zero's bosses and Fusions bosses are both better then the first two games.
>>
>>388956437
The recommendations are fantastic.
You are retarded.
And the fact that you don't give a shit doesn't make you any less retarded. It just means you're retarded AND ignorant. Great job!
>>
>>388956494
Fusion had the best bosses but after Super and Fusion made improvements on the bosses, Zero Mission was a clear step down, as it stands right now, Samus Returns is already looking like a better remake than Zero Mission could ever be.
>>
File: 1483305463837.jpg (100KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1483305463837.jpg
100KB, 1024x768px
>>388956437
"the recommendations are based on the quality of the game, not whether it's mainline or not"
>"I don't care, if you're going to make recommendations do it right"
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>388955779
>>388956860
>this weird aversion to Zero Mission

it's like the 2nd or 3rd best game in the series, dude wtf lol
>>
>>388955773
That chart was made before Federation Force came out.
>>
>>388955779
>can't fully explore Zebes until the end of the game

>you can't fully explore the world until you have all of the powers and abilities, which naturally occurs at the end of the game

YOU DON'T FUCKING SAY
>>
>>388956643
Must buy is the recommendation you retarded monkey. You don't need recommendations. If you're going to get someone into the series you start at the first fucking game, that can either be the original or the optional remake because well it just retells that story, you then move to the second game and if that has a remake you do the same thing, from there you have the third the fourth game. If nothing else pushes the story forward then those would be optional games because they're either spin offs or a piece of shit (Other M). That's how you make a damn list if you weren't such a newfag to this series you would know that.
>>
Is it hard to get 100% in Zero Mission? I've never tried, and I've had the game since 2004.
>>
>>388957317
So you didn't play Metroid 1-3, did you?

>>388957053
It was disappointing after Super and Fusion.

>>388956862
See>>388957329
>>
I really wish I could play Metroid Prime without feeling the urge to vomit out my kidney after 10 minutes of playing.
>>
>>388957329
How long will you repeat your failure to understand that these recommendations are based on quality, not importance to the story?
Do you think a Newcomer is gonna play the entire series? Do you think EVERY Newcomer is gonna play the entire series?
Someone who was planning to play EVERY game wouldn't ask for recommendations! They'd simply play every game in the series!
But maybe there are people who only wanna play the best? In which case they would need an... uhm... how do you call it again? Oh yeah...
RECOMMENDATION?
>>
>>388957317
>Metroid 1, Return of Samus, and Super let you pick up everything without ever really going out of your way.
>Both Fusion and ZM have a bunch of items you can't collect until a world tour 10 minutes before the end of the game.
>>
>>388957675
That's newcomers are the most annoying fans, they didn't start from the beginning and then they ask like 50 billion questions because they missed out and didn't want to start from the beginning. Now that we have Zero Mission and Samus Returns they have no excuse to not start with the first game and then the second game because they've both been remade for current standards that way they will have the full story of Metroid 1-4.
>>
>>388957329
>ay bro I'm gonna pick up Mario what games do you think I should try
>Yeah definitely play the first two and then after that decide for yourself.
>>
>>388958107
*why
>>
>>388957445

Depends on what you'd consider 100%. If it's just item collection the game has a NG+ like feature that adds an item counter to each area, making it easier to find what you missed last time.

Now if that 100% includes unlocking everything in the image gallery, 15% Hard runs are a total bitch unless you know exactly what you're doing.
>>
>>388958107
Are you fucking retarded?

Do you know how long it would take for someone to play every game in a franchise they take minimal interest in?

People wouldn't play more than 5 popular franchises if everyone had to play every game.
>>
>>388958107
It isn't mandatory to start from the beginning. The more games there are in a series the less important it is to start from the beginning.
>>
>>388958381
>play Metroid/Zero Mission, Metroid II/Samus Returns, Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion
OH WOW! That took so long.
>>
>>388958107
Holy shit, how self-centered can one human being be?
>believes the recommendation list should cater to him
>believes he has the authority over some recommendation pic he didn't even make himself
>can't even deal with newcomers to a series
>can't be arsed to answer any questions
>possibly doesn't even know shit about Metroid himself, considering that he ONLY liked Metroid 1 - 4

Seriously, kill yourself. You are so fucking retarded. What's the harm in some guy coming around and playing 3 or 4 Metroid games? Holy shit, mate!
>>
>>388954938
OP's question was "Which games are best for beginners". And I think that chart answered him pretty well so I don't know why you're bitching
>>
>>388958550
I'm very self-centered thank you, that word is a compliment to me, it means I don't listen to faggots opinions much and only listen to my own.
>>
the fuck happened to Metroid threads
>>
File: 1444874738546.png (141KB, 459x453px) Image search: [Google]
1444874738546.png
141KB, 459x453px
>>388958797
Ah okay
>>
I honestly say start with Zero Mission, it is one of the best made so far and being a remake of the original NES title makes it a natural to begin with.
>>
>>388958797
No, that's not what self-centered means.
Because if you are a faggot, you are still listening to one.

Also what business do you have in critizising a recommendation list, which serves the purpose to communicate from one human being to another what games they find recommendable, when your personal belief is that such an exchance should not take place because outside information is per se wrong?

You can turn this however you want, but you are retarded. Your reasoning is contradictory.
>>
>>388950287
Zero Mission
>>
>>388952238
This really needs to be updated with Federation Force and Samus Returns when the latter comes out.

Prime Trilogy is also more accessible now since it got a cheaper Wii rerelease and is available on Virtual Console, so its description is out of date.
>>
>>388959082
If someone keeps bugging me to get a PS4 to play with them online I tell them to fuck off I don't want that shit console. If someone recommends me a game that I don't like and I already told them I'm not a fan of it, I tell them to fuck off. I do what I want and listen to almost no one. I'm the very definition of self-centered, I can care less about anyone else's opinions but my own, I can care less what anyone thinks of me also. I just literally don't give a fuck.
>>
>>388959797
What is your fucking problem?
>>
>>388959983
I'm self-centered, what do you expect?
>>
>>388959797
>doesn't give a fuck
>bothers to explain us how he doesn't give a fuck

Okay, calm down there Eliot Rodger.
>>
>>388959797
>I don't give a fuck about anyone
I kinda doubt someone would make recommendations towards you. I mean, who would do that? A friend? You don't sound like you have friends.

Stay self-centered, but please do us all a favor and be SO self-centered that you never join another Metroid thread. Because as far as I can tell, people seem to value your opinion about as much as you values everybody else's opinion.
>>
>>388960863
If I don't listen to anyone else, what hell makes you think I'm going waste my time listening to you. If it's an actual good thread about Samus Returns and the future of the series after it sells well, I'll be there.
>>
>>388961170
You've spent like an hour in this thread discussing with me now. That makes me think.

So you DO consider other people's opinions, but they have to be the same as yours?
Damn, for someone unapologeticaly self-centered and self-assured as you, you certainly need your opinion validated very much.
>>
>>388953548
Titles to avoid
>>
>>388959797
You're making yourself sound more aggressive then you probably are. You're responses are probably more like "Uh no thank you I don't own a PS4, but if you want to play some Splatoon later I ca- oh okay."
>>
Super > Prime > Fusion > Prime 2 > ZM > the rest
>>
>>388961610
No, I literally say that.
>>
>>388962158
i'd like to hear about the most recent time someone gave you a recommendation and you literally told them to fuck off
>>
>>388962897
Like a year ago
Thread posts: 74
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.