[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is the gaming industry so shit????

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6

File: qe0ptRP.jpg (282KB, 1198x903px) Image search: [Google]
qe0ptRP.jpg
282KB, 1198x903px
Have to play games that are 5+ yrs olds like Dota2 and WoW cus nothing exciting comes out, how is this possible? Back when I was 10 every game was fucking unique and good, even between two FPS.
Example:

Just 2004 had BF2, WoW, UT2004, Half Life 2, Prince of Persia,GTA:San Andreas, Need for Speed UD2, Doom3, Halo 2, Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow, Fable, Battlefield:Vietnam, Rome Total War, Medal of Honor Pacific Assault, Far Cry, Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords and many more

You can mention many games up until 2010, then the gaming industry went to shit.....

WHAT HAPPENED????
Now look at 2015-2016-2017
3 years and you can barely mention a couple games that were good, but not even memorable or kino....
>>
I still find games that I enjoy. I've never played the AAA new releases as soon as they came out though, which helped. It's a needlessly pessimistic and annoying attitude to say nothing good ever gets developed and released, grow up.
>>
>>388928950
Sadly not as much or same shit over and over again, creativity died out.
>>
File: ps2 release line up.png (747KB, 1024x901px) Image search: [Google]
ps2 release line up.png
747KB, 1024x901px
>>388928545
>WHAT HAPPENED????
AAA industry shifted their focus to a brand new target audience: the casual gamers.

Following the lead of Nintendo, who literally wanted non-gamers to buy their Wii, they realized that instead of spending kazillion hours designing, testing and balancing more and more complex games, they could instead STREAMLINE the games and thus their development to the very bare bones, and people would still buy them for full price.

It's easier to see the change in shooters: Halo and CoD2 paved the way of regenerating health and more linear, scripted design. No item pickups meant less shit to hide on the level, meaning less exploration was needed, meaning maps could be linear pipes. They then try to compensate the obvious boredom with fancy cutscenes or other "spectacles"; interesting one shot gameplay scenes that are never re-used again.
On the flip-side, shooter devs started to focus more and more on console gamers, meaning controls had to be streamlined too, and the MP mode became the main attraction in most games.

When these "casual shooters" grew and made crazy sums, the design ideologies slowly bled towards other genres. There was this short fad in late 00s , when various old IPs were rebooted and -introduced to the new audiences... often turned into shooter games, no matter what their OG genre was.
The ironic part of this process is that what started as a way to save on costs and dev-time, ended up INCREASING both. Partly because of insanely expensive marketing campaigns big publishers pushed, just to get noticed in the now-gray mass of copypasta games. Partly because of the 100+ man teams needed for another new cancer: yearly soft-sequels. AAA budgets are now literally ~100 Million USD.

And now, we have a full generation who knows nothing but this horrible casual era's games. So they buy and make more.
>>
>>388928545
>so many great game
>cod

how long until people start calling 2011 the best year in video game history
>>
>>388928545
>>388929193
>calls new games bad but lists a bunch of shitty older games like bioshock, witcher, doom 3, manhunt 2 like they are good

????
>>
File: Talos mountains 01.jpg (571KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Talos mountains 01.jpg
571KB, 1920x1200px
>>388928950
I do agree with this, but I also do get the pessimistic tone. Saying things like "Everything nowadays is the same shit!" seldom literally means that every single individual game would be equal trash, but that big majority of the games fall to this unremarkable mediocrity that's not really worth your time or money.

I myself have realized that for the past decade, it's been mostly AA games, big mods, numerous older titles, and even some indie games, that have kept me the most entertained. Sure, there's been one or two true AAA games I have enjoyed this decade, but there's a clear decline in overall quality and quantity of truly remarkable games.

I have also spotted a kinda annoying new trend of rebooting old series, that may have been butchered into the casual trash in the last several years, but now try to take baby steps into something a bit more like their roots, yet never truly going all the way through with the attempt.

>>388929363
You can say anything you want about CoD4, it became a literal blueprint for way too many games of the modern era. It's a game that killed creativity, and instead gave people a mold to pour their lead into.
>>
>>388929578
those are kino games
>>
back when i was 10, i was really easily impressed too
>>
>>388929578
All the games you listed were good. One or two of them were even great.
What you're demonstrating is yet another annoyance we have to deal with nowadays: retroactive history re-visioning via hindsight, usually coupled with biased views related to the older games' tendency to not follow modern, quite questionable design choices.

Witcher 1 especially is still the very best game in its series, the only good game infact. Bioshock was alright, and totally BTFO the trash like Infinite, but it was always just a poorman's System Shock anyway.
Doom3 was a tech-demo, and the Amnesia of its era. Not even kidding you, we had the first Jewdiepie-style scream videos thanks to that game.
No idea what your problem is with MH2.
>>
/v/ made you jaded
You prefer shitting on new things while back then you tried out everything
>>
File: perse.gif (218KB, 500x339px) Image search: [Google]
perse.gif
218KB, 500x339px
>>388928545
This fag trying to re-live subjective glory days because his almost 30
>per se
>>
>>388928545
That's terrible list of games in op pick.
>Mass Effect
>C&C 3
>Heavenly Sword
>Halo 3
>Manhunt 2
>GOW 2
>Crackdown
>Assasin's Creed
>Uncharted 1
>Phanom Hourglass
Absolutely disgusting
>>
File: 1998.png (488KB, 1665x371px) Image search: [Google]
1998.png
488KB, 1665x371px
>>388928545
>2007
>Got shit on 1998

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_in_video_gaming

Have a look, see how many of the most iconic genres in gaming were born or saw their best works come out in this specific year.
>>
>>388929675
>>388929784
This why cynical hipsters opinions should be discarded
>>
>>388929963
90% of that is clunky outdated shit
>>
>>388930061
>>>/trash/
>>
File: 1997 beibi.jpg (653KB, 999x1410px) Image search: [Google]
1997 beibi.jpg
653KB, 999x1410px
>>388930005
Ignoring the obvious meme-bait "kino" comment, would you like to explain what makes my statement somehow "hipstery" and discardable?

I don't see what is so wrong about expecting higher quality games that don't patronize the players.

>>388929963
Late 90s to mid-00s was the golden age.
>>
>>388928545
Almost all of these are western except for Pokemon and Zelda.

Gamimg imduatry didnt go to shit. The western one did. Because it IS shit.

In 2016/7 we got: Gravity Rush 2, Nioh, Berseria, Persona 5, BotW, Nier:A, TLG, RE7, DS3, FFZV, Sonic Mania.

Hell there are even some good west releases too like InJustice 2, Hitman, The Surge and Sniper Elite 4.

But guessing from the year you chose and the wsy you write you are either underage or very young adult. You dont know what a truly shit year is like.
>>
>>388928545
Let's go through these games that are/were actually good though:

The Orange Box

kinda alright
metroid prime 3
crysis
tbc
phantom hourglass
cod4

basicly same shit as nowerdays to be honest dunno why people have such nostalgia bullshit western games (in particular) have been in a rut for a long time
>>
>>388930220
>I don't see what is so wrong about expecting higher quality games that don't patronize the players.
Yet you listed bioshock, assassin's creed, cod4, Pokemon
>>
>>388929963
Still shit compared to 1994.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.