[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

State what exactly is wrong with this game without comparing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 119
Thread images: 19

File: dark-souls_2.jpg (405KB, 680x425px) Image search: [Google]
dark-souls_2.jpg
405KB, 680x425px
State what exactly is wrong with this game without comparing it to DS1

What does it do wrong on its own?
>>
Nothing it's actually very good and may be the best DaS experience, it's a meme by this point.
>>
>>388901190
this
>>
Theres the knight dude with 2 blades, smelter demon, and dlc bosses that are actually hard. But its like 35 hours long. Way too fucking long and world isn't as intuitive and fun to explore as DeS and Dark Souls. Was just a disappointment. NPCs are bland, world looks beautiful though, hollows look like humans? It just feels off and is way too long, builds aren't as interesting either
>>
>>388901407
meant dredglings look like humans, plus like a pirate world and a snow world, what is this kingdom hearts?
>>
>>388901081
it is the hardest game in the series so shitters bitch and moan to make themselves feel better
>>
Without comparing it to other Souls games?

It's got some incredibly bland interior designs, with some of the worst and lost lazy texture work I've seen in a modern game. The bosses overlap mechanically and conceptually; there's a quantity > quality vibe going on, though there are some memorable fights snuck in there. Branches of Yore are a fucking awful concept. The matchmaking system really dampers the PvP (though PvP in souls games has never been good, but since we're not comparing)

Those are probably my biggest gripes
>>
It's not a bad game but a lot of the environments/bosses are ugly/uninspired and some of the animations/hitboxes are really janky
>>
Combat feels like shit. Areas are boring and uninteresting. Boss fights are too quick and forgettable. Weapon and armour variety was disappointing since that's what everyone said was this games best feature. Sunken king was shit. Iron and Ivory king were much better compared to the rest of the game but that is not saying much. Lack of interesting NPCs and keeping track of keystones and statue locations was annoying.
>>
>>388901673
Looks Shit:
> Forest of Fallen Giants
> Lost Bastille
> No Man's Wharf
> Huntsman's Copse
> Iron Keep

Looks Beautiful:
> Majula
> Heide's Tower of Flame
> Dragon Aerie
> Shrine of Amana
> Earthen Peak
> The Gutter
>>
>>388901264
>>388901190
unironically not these
>>
>>388901190
>nothing wrong
Okay, that's no-
>the best Dark Souls
OKAY BUDDY HOLD UP
Soul memory was a monumentally shitty mechanic for reasons described countless times. Doesn't really hurt a casual first run, but goddamn is it a headache on repeated playthroughs unless you seriously give zero fucks about character optimization or PvP quality.
Agility was a dumb stat and it being indirectly influenced by adaptability and attunement was dumb too.
Tons of hitboxes are fucked. More fucked than DS1 hitboxes. People who say they're fine have either totally adjusted to the fucked hitboxes and have little to no common sense or are lying.
Movement also feels sticky. Stickier than DS1.

That's about it though. People complain about lighting and other graphical things, but it was pretty dang pretty for PS3 graphics. All of my issues with pacing are purely thanks to the gangrenous wound that Soul Memory is on subsequent playthroughs. The fashion was damn good. I would even say it was the best fashion in the series.
>>
File: SotFS_RatAuthority.jpg (2MB, 1538x884px) Image search: [Google]
SotFS_RatAuthority.jpg
2MB, 1538x884px
>Fight is determined in the opening seconds whether or not you get inflicted with Toxin
>>
>>388903017
yeah Authority, The Royal Rat isn't very good, but it is at least entirely optional and has a bonfire right before it, unlike the Capra Demon
>>
>>388901081

But why wouldn't you compare it to DS1? DS2 wouldn't exist without it, so it's only fair to compare them.
>>
>>388903235
Capra Demon is a trash fight but at the very least you can plunge cheese him (not defending it just saying), RRA is literally a fight where the boss itself is irrelevant to the outcome of the fight.

Too many bosses in DaS II are just hard for the sake of it, having rats inflict Toxin on you adds nothing meaningful to the fight.
>>
>>388901081
rolling is weird, it feels like there's this pause after you complete a roll before you get back up and it doesn't flow well with combat focused on dodging

tying I-frames to a stat is a terrible idea, if they wanted to improve the dodging it should have changed the animation instead to reflect the change, with just the stat it feels like a cheap cop-out

the game looks funny, not even considering how nice the demo footage looked, the actually game's lighting/color looks awful with it's basic setting

It's an alright game,reminded me of demon's soul's in more ways than just being another souls, but it's a shame it didn't come together cohesively
>>
>>388901081
Poor enemy variety, piss-easy bosses, and sluggish combat
The DLC bosses were mostly good, though
>>
Durability is handled incorrectly. Ruins the combat and eliminates freedom of being able to use your favored weapons. It also forced them to put bonfires extremely close together.

Almost every game path is linear. The only exception is Heide and Forest of Giants both leading to Bastille, but it isn't even a very interesting fork at all. The game has pretty much no shortcuts or the wrapping level designs that make these games interesting until you get to the DLC areas.

Every area just swarms you with enemies to stunlock you, exasperating the durability issue. The stunlocking also sucks because they nerfed poise a lot. You want to play through the game with dual rapiers? Well, too bad. Better bring a couple extra sets and fully upgrade them as well. Shame on you for not making a STR blunt weapon build! On that note, every enemy is weaker to blunt which is ridiculous, especially given those weapons already have the highest durability.

Soul Memory is fucking garbage. Half the fun in these games is cooperating. Since it filters multiplayer based on both your SM AND your Soul Level, it quickly becomes impossible to connect with anyone now that the game's population has dropped over the years. Soul Memory is awful and never even fixed anything it was supposed to fix.

There are things the game did right, though. Powerstance is fun. Rat Covenant was Gravelord done right. Poison being viable was cool. There were a good number of gimmicky weapons which was a step in the right direction for the genre.
>>
I sure liked fighting that one boss
Oh, which one?
You know, the bipedal dude in armor
Oh, which one?
The eighteenth.
>>
>>388903017
>>388903376
or you can just carry moss(why wouldn't you?) and have any one of your six slots carry a ranged weapon.
kite and shoot the rats before they can touch you with lock on shots, cure if you actually got poisoned, break the boss' skinny rat legs.

The room is huge so you can at least avoid them. I don't think Capra is hard and I prefer his fight, but I think the size of the room made it a much worse "make it or break it" moment. If one of the dogs blocks you and you can't get up the stairs, you're fucked. In RRA the room has ample room to kite everything indefinitely while you kill each rat with 2 to 3 arrows/bolts maximum depending on your upgrade level.
>>
Royal Rat Authority is a shit fight on par with Bed Of Chaos. But at least Bed Of Chaos can be consistently beaten after your first time.
>>
>>388905265
>random ass wide arm swiping knocking you into pits
>can't even react appropriately because you have to look at the collapsing floor and can't see them coming
>if you try to roll or block you still get knocked into pit
>hand covers entire path so no avoiding

is there some sort of timing trick to it? because every time I try to find a safe time to cross to the second barrier it is just constantly swinging.
>>
>>388901081
Have poor spacial awareness. Lots of hallways and rooms are too big with nothing interesting in them to look at.

It also has some shitty hitboxes and cheap boss fights like the Royal Rat bosses. Not hard, but cheap and lazy.
>>
>>388901081
All of the game design feels constructed purely with the goal of killing the player. This is not fun, especially with the slow and clunky movement/controls.
>>
>>388905550
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ0csuFo5vY
>>
>>388906282
1 is the only entry in the series that has continued and will continue to have new things discovered about it many years after its release.
>>
>>388901081
Some areas feel like they were designed to be done with co-op, like the wharf and the copse. Just overall aggravating areas with groups of way too enemies ganging up on you at one time.
>>
>>388906282
That's really cool and I intend to abuse it.

This clearly isn't the way you're intended to do the boss, though. They WANT you to die 20 times to this boss trying to get to the second barrier. It's why they let them stay down when you die. There really isn't a way to figure out that strategy or the placement you need without watching that video, either.
>>
File: 1499617054932.png (2MB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
1499617054932.png
2MB, 1600x900px
>>388901081
In this thread we list things Dark Souls 2 did that were far better than Dark Souls 3. I'll start:

>No bonfire and no death challenge where you can beat the game without resting at a bonfire or dying to gain a reward and bragging rights

>Non-linear first half of the game allows you to rush straight to the areas of the game that contain the items for your build

>Chugging Estus immobilizes you, and the heal isn't instantaneous meaning trying to chug while someone is sticking close to you will result in death

>Stamina regeneration is tied to weight, so a character at 10% burden will recover their bar faster than a character at 70% burden, giving an advantage and a reason to make a low burden character

>Poise exists and armor provides relevant, but not overpowering damage reduction, giving an advantage and a reason to make a high burden character

>Phantoms and Dark Spirits cannot chug estus, spirits can only heal via spell useage which is slow. This makes fighting outnumbered even without mob assistance possible since any damage you do sticks

>Can only perform four rolls before running out of stamina

>Can only perform 5 attacks of a rapier or straight sword before running out of stamina

>Parrying has longer recovery frames and consumes more stamina, making parry fishing riskier and makes parrying require higher skill

>Power stance allowing for unique combinations of dual wielding and unlocking an alternative moveset for weapons

>Being able to use the full moveset of a weapon in your off-hand including running, rolling, backstepping, etc. attacks rather than just being able to do a basic R1 swing and blocking with the weapon as it is in Ds3 (lmao who would ever want to weapon block)

>Bell Tower covenant providing two unique optional areas to PvP for Titanite Chunks, Slabs, and Twinkling, making farming for upgrades fun

>Bonfire ascetics to replay bosses you like and or gain items from NG+ and beyond without grinding through the whole game again
>>
>>388906703
In case it's not obvious, Demon Ruins and Lost Izalith were not the intended vision for the development team and were horribly rushed (really everything after Anor Londo was but those two are the worst) and Miyazaki has gone on record saying that the fight didn't turn out how he wanted it to.

>Miyazaki: That's the truth. Haha. There are quite a few, when deadlines were closing in and I couldn't get a good mental image of what I wanted, but we had to settle on something. Those situations were the hardest because I knew something was wrong, but couldn't express what I wanted and couldn't give a solution. That was difficult, both for me and for the artists I was working with. I suppose the Bed of Chaos is the principal example of this.

>Otsuka: It seems you designed King Izalith at one point too, what was that like?

>Miyazaki: Ah yes, evidence of the twists and turns we went through.

>Waragai: Initially he was going to be the boss of the area, the Bed of Chaos lies sprawled on the floor and waves it's hands about but he was a king sitting in his throne...

>Miyazaki: That's right. We really had trouble with that didn't we. I've already talked about quite a few aspects of the game I'm not entirely happy with, but I'd have to say that my greatest regret is the Bed of Chaos. The artists and designers worked extremely hard and came up with some fantastic ideas, but it exposed a real problem in our production method. We have no way to find a common goal and work towards it when things go wrong. It's definitely something I want to correct in the future.

Bed of Chaos isn't a boss, it's a nuisance just like Royal Rat Authority. I cheese it every time.
>>
>>388907351
Can Miyazaki ever meet his deadlines? DaS3 has the same obviously unfinished shit fights, like Yhorm being a boss with about 4 moves and a gimmick weapon, and the Profane Capital being fucking nothing.
>>
>>388904485
Oh biggie and tupac? Oh you mean the knight in the woods. No? You mean the Iron giant. Oh no you must have meant the 4 some of dudes. Nah you are talking about the same big guy with a club, right? The one you fight three times? Or you might mean the fire guy at the end of the game? Or the dark guy at the end of the woods?
I don't know if there are 18 bosses so you might need to restate the one you are referring to and be a little more clear
>>
>>388907816
It's Bandai Namco probably, Demon's Souls and Bloodborne don't have the issues that DaS I-III have in terms of development and the one thing in common is no Bandai meddling.
>>
Out of context it's an alright game, but compared to 1 it's hot garbage, and comparing it is only logical since it is a sequel to the series, therefore expected to correct flaws, not repeat them.
>>
>>388905265
This is bs. I am going to need some video footage. All the YouTube videos have people who die multiple times at the bed
>>
>>388907351
no, I knew that. They are infamously unfinished and everyone knows it. I just think it's a poor comparison to compare it to RRA. It's a stage hazard that is poorly designed. I would replay this game constantly if I didn't have to do it.
when the DLC came out I realized I had played through at least 20 characters, but I had only fought Gwyn twice because I would always just stop when it was time to do bed of chaos.

Authority is just a boss with mobs, and you can easily beat him with conventional means. This thread is the first time I've ever seen anyone bitch about him like he was cheap.
>>
>>388901081
adaptability
tons of shitty bosses
soul memory
downgraded lighting
infinite stamina enemies
>>
>>388908343
Refer to >>388906282
>>
>>388908048
It corrected a shit ton of flaws with the combat.
>>
>>388907983
You think that they'd have just learned to fuck off after what happened with the first one.
>>
>>388908616
Theoretically yes, but then it bound all of these combat "improvements" to an ugly, slow, and clunky system that results in a far lesser experience no matter how you spin it.
>>
>>388908563
I stand corrected. I will show myself out
>>
I loved the boss that was a big dude in armour, it was my fav!!
>>
File: 1500831924433.jpg (60KB, 718x482px) Image search: [Google]
1500831924433.jpg
60KB, 718x482px
>>388908519
>infinite stamina enemies

>Dark Souls 2
>>
File: Oscar.jpg (144KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Oscar.jpg
144KB, 1280x720px
Fun fact: He was going to be the penultimate boss fight originally.
>>
It makes some improvements, mainly in the form of froms best menus ever, but everytime i play it just feels like a race to the end where i dont look forward to or enjoy any levels or bossfights
>>
>>388901081
Non memorable areas, most of the bosses suck
>>
File: Hht1u0bm7m_1280.png (851KB, 684x1065px) Image search: [Google]
Hht1u0bm7m_1280.png
851KB, 684x1065px
>>388909068
I still think Oscar is the Pursuer.
>>
>>388908993
the meme hammer giants
>>
>>388902752
Hitboxes were fine, people were just rolling to early and getting caught.
>>
File: 372-3-1408610446.jpg (231KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
372-3-1408610446.jpg
231KB, 1920x1080px
>crap bossess
>shitty downgraded graphics from the demos (no lighting whatsoever an repeated textures everywhere)
>cringey "you are le chosen one xD" story retread of DaS1 (thats not a comparison)
>pretentious as fuck director who likes to smell his own farts
>environments look like they were designed by a 14 year old making his first RPG in Unreal 4
>>
>>388909192
>His shield is in DaS3, but it's turn 90 degrees for no fucking reason.
>It's called "Curse Ward Shield" or some shit, but doesn't give any curse resistance.
>His sword is gone even though any one of his moves would've been better weapon arts than 90% of the trash we got.
>They never gave us his fucking armor.
>>
>>388909348
So one enemy
>>
File: SotFS_Raime.jpg (2MB, 1428x820px) Image search: [Google]
SotFS_Raime.jpg
2MB, 1428x820px
>Dark Souls II had bad bosse-
APOLOGIZE
>>
>>388909348
Every enemy in DaS3 is like this and no one gives a shit, despite the fact that Drakekeepers are weak to Poison, Strike, and Lightning, and resisting nothing.
>>
>>388902752
This, the hitboxes in DS2 felt like they were drawn by hand
>>
>>388901190
FPBP
>>
>>388901081
No consistent atmosphere or identity. Not only do the area layouts make no fucking sense spatially, they make no fucking sense within the context of the gameworld either. Why is there a deep forest in perpetual night mere metres from a bright, sunlit coast? Who thought it was a good idea to dig a bottomless hole in the middle of a town? Was it a well? If so, why is there a fucking tomb in it? Who lived in this city built into the fucking walls of a valley filled with quicksand, and why the fuck would they live in a valley full of quicksand when there is a perfectly good clearing in which to build a town right at the top of said valley which apparently was just so full of unused space that people set up tents and temporary fortifications there instead of living in it. The world, the enemies, the bosses, everything about the game screams that there was no overarching plot structure or artistic vision during development. The enemies were picked because someone asked "What would make a video game enemy" instead of "What kind of enemy would be appropriate both for the feel of the game itself, and this particular area, and how does it fit into the world and story?" Everything in the game is subject to this element of disconnection from everything else, like it was all built separately and then thrown together with no thought given for the why, or how, of how it all connected together.

The closest thing I can liken it to without comparing it to DS1 or another in the series, is one of those modded playthroughs of Skyrim where the modder has just grabbed whatever mods look interesting or funny. You're being attacked by flying trains, every female in the land, even old women, are unnaturally gorgeous and wearing makeup despite living in hovels, and the cities are guarded by brightly coloured ponies. Why? Collect the chaos emeralds so you can fight the final boss with the Master Sword while wearing Guts' armour, that's why.
>>
>>388911334
>Not only do the area layouts make no fucking sense spatially, they make no fucking sense within the context of the gameworld either. Why is there a deep forest in perpetual night mere metres from a bright, sunlit coast?

Because you've literally been walking that long. Most people are smart enough to deduce to that the level is actually very far from Majula and that there's a thematic reason you don't actually walk 30 or so miles to get there...

>Who thought it was a good idea to dig a bottomless hole in the middle of a town?

Who thought it'd be a good idea to make a town out of 100% wood planks in the middle of a valley of dragons?

> Was it a well? If so, why is there a fucking tomb in it? Who lived in this city built into the fucking walls of a valley filled with quicksand, and why the fuck would they live in a valley full of quicksand when there is a perfectly good clearing in which to build a town right at the top of said valley which apparently was just so full of unused space that people set up tents and temporary fortifications there instead of living in it.

What?

>The world, the enemies, the bosses, everything about the game screams that there was no overarching plot structure or artistic vision during development

Pretty sure there's loads of Dark Souls 2 concept art and it is in fact of the same quality as every other game in the series.

>The enemies were picked because someone asked "What would make a video game enemy" instead of "What kind of enemy would be appropriate both for the feel of the game itself, and this particular area, and how does it fit into the world and story?

If that were the case every enemy would just be normal hollows, knights and animals with no outstanding traits.

They obviously had to think outside the box at some point, and they clearly did when they made 4Kings and Pinwheel.
>>
File: Dark Souls II Graphics.png (531KB, 733x517px) Image search: [Google]
Dark Souls II Graphics.png
531KB, 733x517px
>>
>>388901081

It is very easy and very boring.
>>
>>388901081
I love Ds2 but my biggest problem with the game is
>most weapons in the game are just inferior versions of better weapons, making most weapons just pointless
>lots of boring/uninspired areas
Still a good game but has obvious issues
>>
File: Lost_Izalith.jpg (293KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Lost_Izalith.jpg
293KB, 1280x720px
>>388912837
>lots of boring/uninspired areas
Good thing Dark Souls 1 didn't have this problem or anything.
>>
>>388901081
It was shit. Dark souls 3 was better and anyone that says otherwise is a contrarian troll.
>>
>>388901081
Just picked this up after playing dark souls 1 forever ago.
I don't get why it gets all the hate. It's a nightmare difficulty souls though. I didn't git gud enough playing 1 apparently.
>>
>>388913007
thought we weren't comparing it ds1?
>>
>>388901081
I only started it for the first time a few days ago.

The opening few hours were boring as fuck. Everything after that has been fun to explore so far (except that foggy bit of woods with the backstabbing ghosts. fuck that shit). I loved The Gutter. Building life and home has been nice, but I'm waiting for that to go horribly wrong.

Bosses have been pretty dull and unimpressive though. There's a problem when your trash mobs are more challenging than major boss fights.
>>
>>388901081
I think its fine, some areas are too saturated with enemies, like No Man's Wharf and Huntsman's Copse, but overall its a great game. I'm kind of glad it wasn't as somber and depressing as DS1. Its inconsistency set it apart from the first game, and that's alright by me.

Only thing I don't like is how the areas are all straight lines compared to the first game, in which the areas were much more interconnected.
>>
>>388912837
>most weapons in the game are just inferior versions of better weapons, making most weapons just pointless

Like?
>>
>>388913518
>Only thing I don't like is how the areas are all straight lines compared to the first game
if you think its bad in DaS2 then just wait until 3.
>>
>>388911334
This post is nonsense.

DaS3 shoves timetravel and a bunch of random locations crammed up against each other, and nobody says shit, but everyone throws a fit over DaS2, despite everyone telling you that Drangleic is fucked and locations are linked based on their relation to one another, not their proximity.
>>
>>388913153
>early August /v/ made threads about how shit DS3 was and how DS2 was the best

I couldn't tell if it was trolling or genuine shit taste
>>
>>388915201
>Early August /v/

You mean that one trip.
>>
File: 1485308984582.gif (16KB, 400x350px) Image search: [Google]
1485308984582.gif
16KB, 400x350px
>>388903348
I'd argue that comparing it to DS1 does bring some bias. I remember in one of these threads an anon pointing out that for a lot of people, they really wanted DS2 to be just like DS1 and when it wasn't it got more flak for it.

To be fair, DS2 does have its problems that can't be attributed to "not muh DS1" but I can see where OP is coming from. It makes sense given a lot of people that played Dark Souls never played Demon's Souls and found what was both good and bad about it anyway.
>>
>>388913007
>1 area as opposed to several in DS2
Reading comprehension is a thing, anon
>>
>>388912756

By far the easiest Souls game. Enemies take forever to attack, they're very easy to punish and the overall pace of the game is really slow/off compared to Da1 and Da3. Shit was fun because I did a fist playthrough and got to powerstance box/hadouken though
>>
>>388915851
>Duke's Archives
>Crystal Caves
>Demon Ruins
>Tomb of the Giants
>Lost Izalith
>New Londo
>Kiln of the First Flame
Definitely more than one area that that applies to in DaS.
>>
The movement felt very clunky to me in the beginning.
Also the fact that the roll has (imo) very few invincibility frames caught me off guard. I got unexpectedly hit quite a lot and only after i researched it i found out about ADP and what it does.
Power stance was dope though, i am disappointed how they did dual wielding in DaS3.
>>
>>388901407
I enjoyed the game up until the 20hr mark, after that I got really tired of the game and wanted it to wrap up.
>>
File: balanced.webm (1MB, 1000x563px) Image search: [Google]
balanced.webm
1MB, 1000x563px
There's a lot of equipment (which you spend titanite and souls to upgrade, leaving a permanent mark on your SM) that is just straight-up inferior to other things. Not even in the way that "oh there's no reason to use this sword with no scaling" way, but in the fact that there's no statistical or special qualities they hold over others beyond aesthetic.

Oh, and the movement feels as floaty as Brawl.
>>
>>388916705
I found I got hit a lot at the end of an ememy swing where their weapon was barely moving.
>>
>>388916936
>There's a lot of equipment (which you spend titanite and souls to upgrade, leaving a permanent mark on your SM) that is just straight-up inferior to other things.

Like?
>>
The areas branch of in a very linear way from the main hub without any interconnecting, the difficulty curve is too much of a rollercoaster and there are some extremely annoying areas with poison that I don't like.
>>
>>388901190
>>388901264
Fuck off, shitty areas, floaty animations with no weight, shitty hitboxes, dodge is a stat, every boss is a dude in armor
>>
>>388917105
JUST
>>
>>388917224
>muh screen shake
>muh ADP
>>
Is it bad if I've purchased this game 4 times?
PS3 collectors edition
PS4 SoTFS x 3(one was stolen the second got lost)
>>
File: 1500257835647.gif (3MB, 264x313px) Image search: [Google]
1500257835647.gif
3MB, 264x313px
Real talk, imagine if the next fromsoft souls title had dedicated jumping in it.

It's so subtle, but if they could balance it with stamina like everything else it would be the wildest thing ever.
>>
>>388903456
I frames as a stat is fine, in DS1 you could get burden (and therefore dodge frames) as well as stam with one stat, in DS2 they made it so if you want to focus on dodges instead of guarding with shields or relying on your armor you have to invest points in it specifically, instead of being able to make a heavy armor character suddenly have ninjarolls with a quick equipment swap.

Also the rolling felt the best in the series, in 3 the buffering on it was fucky and you would roll after you get hit sometimes, as well as the fact that it costs no stamina to roll. 1 rolling was just always too easy, though that was more of an enemy design problem where if you dodged the first attack and spammed roll you would always dodge the consecutive attacks. That coupled with the low stamina investment to roll you rarely had to focus on timing and instead just spammed rolls to dodge things by distance instead of utilizing the actual dodge of the roll.

DS2 got it right, High stamina cost, and challenging timings with enemies capable of holding attacks and bosses doing various timing mixups.

the game looking ugly is a fair complaint, though DS1 wasn't too pretty either, save for a few choice vistas.
>>
>>388909348

You mean the Assholes towards the end with the big bulbous looking hammer mace things that they wave around endlessly like they have no weight?

Yeah fuck those guys alright
>>
Tying integral game mechanics to a stat that's necessary to level due to the game being coded around multiplayer instead of single player. Then giving mage characters, the ones least likely to need a dodge, a bonus to rolling effectiveness for free.
Generally trash boss design. A vast majority of the bosses are throwaway trash fights that aren't remotely memorable or enjoyable, compared to the rest of the series where at least half the bosses are of acceptable quality.
Terrible level design outside of some sections of the DLC areas.
Punishing players for experimenting with a variety of equipment unless they play offline, thus depriving them of a major portion of the experience.
Constant nerfs to every single weapon class and spell in the game until the only effective weapons for damage output were straight swords and the ice rapier.
Adding a single piece of equipment, readily available and easily swapped in, which completely nullified a major game mechanic and playstyle in PvP encounters.
Drab, washed-out color palette; and not in a way that adds to the atmosphere.
Lazily prevents backstab cheesing by placing all enemies on a lazy susan; this compounds the rolling as a stat and netcode-focused roll coding by making it impossible to dodge many attacks without investing in the roll stat.
Floaty, imprecise physics and controls. Rolling feels like your character flopping onto the ground like a wet noodle; the effectiveness of the dodge is equivalent to doing so as well unless you invest significantly in agility.
>>
>>388918128
All that about ADP, is 100% under the player's control from the beginning of the game, all the way until the end of the game.

Meanwhile, in Dark Souls 3 there's no stat makes backsteps actually do anything. I can't make magic and miracles work for 90% of the game, no matter what I do with my stats. There's nothing I can do because most enemies in the game, as well as most armor sets in the game, have great base elemental defenses.

I can't make ultra greatswords hit hard until 8+ reinforcement and heavy gem infusion. Until then they have fuck all scaling and well under 200 AR out the gate.

But I can put 18 into ADP with an all melee build and have rolls actually work, and if I so wanted, right after the very first boss.
>>
>>388919842
>All that about ADP, is 100% under the player's control from the beginning of the game, all the way until the end of the game.
Yes, but unless you're going to painstakingly run out of range of every attack and rarely have windows to counter, you have to level it early on.
>in Dark Souls 3 there's no stat makes backsteps actually do anything.
They're the fastest way to get out a running attack but I agree, backsteps were useless in every game.
>>
>>388920000
My point was that backsteps weren't useless in dark souls 2 because of the distance and low stamina consumption, on top of ADP granting them i-frames.
>>
the movement feels very floaty
the bosses aren't memorable at all
the bosses are mostly very easy
the areas are bland or annoying (seriously that poison spitting statue area fucking sucked)

the only bosses I really liked were the ruin sentinels, the belfry gargoyles, smelter demon and the lost sinner
>>
>>388920235
They were still pretty useless 99% of the time though
>>
>>388920373
Nope
>>
>>388920368
Ruin Sentinels were objectively a shit boss
>we didn't make this boss hard enough
>just have them fight 3 of them at once
While on the topic the gargoyles and maneaters were shit bosses too
>>
>>388920443
that's why I liked them. it becomes a matter of keeping them all in sight, learning how to optimally avoid their attacks and focus them down one by one
>>
>>388916936
Yeah, there were a lot of instances in DS2 where the only reason you'd use particular gear is purely for the look of the thing. They'd have worse stats, worse scaling, and a big factor in actually using certain weapons, identical movesets to similar, better weapons.

Dark Souls 2 was, prior to the added DLCs, had so, so many weapons that were just more of the same shit. It was fucking insulting that one of the big draws of the Black Knight weapons, for example, just had identical movesets to any other weapon of their type, despite the fact that one of the draws of the black knight weapons WAS their unique movesets in both DS1 and 3.
>>
>>388920551
No. It's a lazy, poorly-designed boss fight. If you're going to have a multi-boss fight, they need to be different from each other in some way, even if it's a subtle way, otherwise it's just lazy and uninteresting as a fight. the only unique mechanic about the fight was the option to fight a single one in an enclosed space instead of taking them all on at once if you so choose, but it's not enough for it to be interesting.
>>
File: Shadow of Yharnam.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Shadow of Yharnam.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>388920689
This.
Shadow of Yharnam is the Ruin Sentinels done right.
>>
>>388921235
I was thinking more of Ligaty from Ys Felghana since that fight has unique mechanics focused around the fact that there are multiple enemies other than "survivors power up if you kill one of them off", but yeah Shadow of Yharnam is pretty good too.
>>
File: The_Rotten_-_01.jpg (1MB, 1066x889px) Image search: [Google]
The_Rotten_-_01.jpg
1MB, 1066x889px
Why are all the bosses in this game so fucking bad?
>>
I always desperately want to gove this game another chance for some reason
I bought it again and was met with the same dissapointment, im always just trying to get to the next area, theres no stopping and appreciating what you are experiencing, just a race to the finishline with very little to enjoy and look forward to
Mechanicly it does some great things, especially the menu, but none of it really matters because the meat of the game feels like endless half finished ideas, like an entire game of the same quality of the demon ruins from 1
>>
>>388901081
Day one game was pretty bad, the level design was terrible, the enemies were dull as well as the bosses. The pvp was good though.
>>
>>388901081
best souls game by far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRTfcMeqhig
>>
>>388921235
This is basically the 3 dudes fight from the DS2 DLC.
>>
>>388901627
actually reasonable post
good job
>>
>>388917224
Every one of your points applies to literally every other game as well.
>>
File: elite knight.jpg (333KB, 592x1420px) Image search: [Google]
elite knight.jpg
333KB, 592x1420px
Why does Dark Souls 1 still have the best graphics/art style/art direction
>>
File: Bloodborne2.jpg (2MB, 5760x3240px) Image search: [Google]
Bloodborne2.jpg
2MB, 5760x3240px
>>388925576
Why is Bloodborne's so much better?
>>
>>388925576
It just looks shinier
>>
>>388916936
>There's a lot of equipment
This is a good thing
>(which you spend titanite and souls to upgrade, leaving a permanent mark on your SM)
I used to be bothered by SM as well, but when you've played as many times as I have (8+) you start to realize that, one, everyone who only plays on one character inevitably gets their soul level into one of the top three tiers regardless of what they do; two, you can extremely easily remake a character and get to where you were before when you're better at the game with a very low SM. My latest character just got to Shrine of Winter with less than 600k SM, and yes, all four Lords no repeats, whereas my first character had 1.5m+ at that point because I died a lot and bought a hell of a lot of shit I didn't actually need.
>just straight-up inferior to other things
Yeah why is this bad? Most of the better armour is hard to get, or by "hard" I mean at least you have to kill a boss before you can buy it.
>that there's no statistical or special qualities they hold over others beyond aesthetic.
There's a few. Smelter set for fire resist or Sinner for pyromancy to name a few. But, having armour be largely aesthetic is what makes it so easy and fun to make a variety of builds. As long as you're not unhealthily obsessed with minmaxing, you can just wear whatever you want and have the same performance, because the crux of battle isn't how well you can take hits, it's how well you can avoid taking them.
>>
>>388918128
>Tying integral game mechanics to a stat that's necessary to level due to the game
It's not necessary at all, Anon. You've fallen for a meme. I have multiple minimum ADP characters at level 100+. It may help the way certain people play, but it is by no mean required to complete the game.
>Generally trash boss design.
Opinion. You also don't get to call them "unmemorable" because oh look we're having a thread about the game and everyone knows the Pursuer, Nashandra, and the goddamn Chariot.
>Terrible level design outside of some sections of the DLC areas.
If it applies to DS2, it applies to the other games as well. Izalith, anyone?
>Punishing players for experimenting with a variety of equipment
This literally does not happen in any shape or form.
>Adding a single piece of equipment, readily available and easily swapped in
What piece of equipment is this?
>Drab, washed-out color palette; and not in a way that adds to the atmosphere.
Opinion. You can also up the contrast if you need your baby colours to keep your attention.
>Lazily prevents backstab cheesing by placing all enemies on a lazy susan
Fair enough, but at least they tried something different. They made an attempt to implement a solution that was present in Dark Souls and I refuse to penalize them for that, even if it didn't work well.
>Floaty, imprecise physics and controls.
It's your opinion again, hi there!
>>
>>388920443
>3 at once
Anon if you're playing it right you only ever fight 2 at once maximum.
What you're doing is like being a wrestler who ignores his opponent and punches his opponent's tag team partner and complains when he gets double-teamed
The other two literally don't attack you until the first one is dead or if you fuck up and fall off the platform
>>
>>388920443
>not doing enough damage so you can just have to fight one at a time
>>
>>388901081
>Added lifegems, an infinite healing source as long as you played defensively and weren't bursted down; encouraging passive playstyles instead of rewarding aggression
>Player loses 5% of their maximum health on death, punishing players for persevering instead of rewarding it
>Adaptability is straight trash - changing the timing of something as vital as invincibility frames in an action game with zero feedback of any kind is terrible
>Many 1 on 1 bosses share movesets (delayed overhead tracking swing, 3 hit combo, gap closer, delayed thrust that has deceptive range, maybe 1 gimmick attack) which makes them play out in the exact same way
>Enemies have ridiculous tracking and swing arcs, if an attack doesn't track you until the last possible moment then it had 270 degrees of motion
>Very weak level design, enemy placement in particular was so bad they had to 'fix' the game with PAID dlc
Thread posts: 119
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.