[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people bitch about RNG in games?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

File: 1875469_t.jpg (6KB, 200x166px) Image search: [Google]
1875469_t.jpg
6KB, 200x166px
Why do people bitch about RNG in games?
>>
In some cases, games suffer too much from them. However, 99% of the time, it's because they're scrubs who need to git gud.
>>
>>388886127
RNG is for scubs who need luck to win.
>>
There's no skill involved
>>
>>388886052
Because losing/dying by something that's not your fault isn't okay at all.
>>
>>388886543
You should have expected the RNG
>>
File: 1493190535014.jpg (10KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
1493190535014.jpg
10KB, 225x225px
>turn based RPG
>misses 4 times in a row
>enemies keeps dealing crit dmg
>manage to kill them
>get shit loot
>>
>>388886403
Wrong. Luck is also a skill.
>>
Some people just aren't gamblers. Me? Well... Ill give anything a chance no matter the odds.
>>
>>388886052
Because its bullshit
>>
File: 1477196175527.gif (555KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1477196175527.gif
555KB, 300x300px
>>388886052
>miss an enemy 10 times
>enemy hits me with an empowered crit
fuck off
>>
>>388886543
You know it's part of the game at least you should. Conversely, you've won because of RNG you shouldn't be mad at it if it can benefit you as well.
>>
>>388886052
rng with attacks is annoying, especially in detailed games where you can clearly see that you should be hitting the enemy. rng with loot is padding to artifically extend playtime or turn players into wretched addicts.
>>
>>388886818
You make your own luck
>>
Because RNG is for babies. See: Candyland, Shoots and Ladders
>>
Because it's inconsistent and unpredictable
>>
>>388887930
if we had luck in life we would not be wasting it by playing videogames
>>
File: 1459639682091.jpg (6KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
1459639682091.jpg
6KB, 240x240px
Maybe I'm just a casual shit head now, but I enjoy systems that give me another chance at the RNG. A good example recently is Fire Emblem Echoes with the limited "turn back time" stuff during battles.

Never really got frustrated with RNG in that because I was able to kind of cheese the system by using the time wheel when I needed it. I would love something like this in XCOM when I get fucked by an 85% chance to hit that misses.

But maybe that's just an aspect of the game I need to learn to love? There's something about rolling the dice and sometimes getting a shit roll that you have to adjust and adapt to.
>>
because when you have a person in the corner and they crit 3 times and act as though they had you on the ropes the entire time is fucking annoying
>>
In moderate doses RNG can ensure that you never experience the same thing twice, like enemy encounters, hit rates, item drops, and even customization of characters or systems or worlds or ships, etc.

However, when taken out of control, RNG can also lead to excess encounters with random monsters, things relying on luck instead of skill, blatant numbers games that force you to dive down and grind for better results, or just general tedium. I can tell you this right now, I can't go back to playing 90% of RPGs because encounter rates were absurdly stupid. You get into an encounter every 5 seconds against the same angry scoops of slimy ice cream and werewolves. You either run away from them and waste time, or beat them and get overleveled. Either way they are a waste of time, and at worst, RNG is just a crutch for a dev who can't make a properly paced game.
>>
>>388888158
You're lucky enough to be able to play video games first worlder
>>
People who can't handle RNG are babbies who cannot into risk management.
>>
Randomnesses and inconsistency usually isn't fun to play. When people play games they like to feel as though it is largely based around their own skill and fail because of their lack of skill. That said not everyone in the world is the same. Some people love RNG, if people didn't then Poker wouldn't be so popular but even then that takes a large amount of skill to understand and use the luck in your favor so it isn't pure RNG.
>>
File: HUE.png (107KB, 255x222px) Image search: [Google]
HUE.png
107KB, 255x222px
>>388888349
>first worlder
lot of assumptions there mate
>>
>>388888289
>I got fucked by an 85% chance to hit and i missed
Yeah, because there was a chance to miss. The odds being in your favor doesn't mean you're supposed to win. At least Xcom tells you the odds. If you miss, then yeah you got fucked over, but you knew it was possible.
>>
>>388888541
I guess I'm just playing these types of games wrong then. Because of the permanence of losing a unit when they die, I usually just roll it back to a prior save if that ever happens.

So I'm stuck playing through a mission until I get those good rolls and I get through without losing someone. I suppose the right way would be to roll with the losses and just head into the next mission with lessons learned and new units. But I can't seem to break this habit and feeling that I "save scum" my way through most XCOM-like games.
>>
The bloat
>>
Inconsistency.
Some games help the gamblers fallacy by adding a cheeky plus to your next roll if one missed, some don't.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.