[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Valve are absolute madmen

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: half-life 3.png (217KB, 687x474px) Image search: [Google]
half-life 3.png
217KB, 687x474px
Valve are absolute madmen and geniuses. Here's why:

>Half-Life 3 is in development hell
>decide it's too much of a shekel-sink and it would never approach the fan expectations
>make too many shekels through Steam to even care lol
>"leak" story of the game through proxy under the guise of the project being dead
>sparks FREE viral advertisement because people are mad
>modders pick up on this and decide to create their own version that would be better than anything Valve would put out at this point
>they do it for free out of passion
>a few months/years pass
>the mods are a success
>slam a giant cease-and-desist on every modder for stealing the story of Half-Life 3 with coffers of lawyer shekels
>copy-pasto and brush up the mods into a fully-fledged Half-Life 3
>everybody is mad but still buy the game anyway because they're gullible fucks
>Valve spends 0 time, effort, and money, while having only to gain because their reputation is already tarnished anyway
>Half-Life 3 released anyway
>everybody but the most fervent autist forgets a few months later
>>
>>388863092

And then I pirate it.
>>
File: gobon.jpg (63KB, 541x563px) Image search: [Google]
gobon.jpg
63KB, 541x563px
>>
>>388863496
fpbp
>>
>>388863092

That would never fly. The backlash would be immense. And there is something most devs know. You don't want an angry mob of autistic fans mad at you.
>>
All Valve games are basically mods anyway
>>
>>388863092
if you honestly believe this your Tin hat is on so fucking tight that I don't think anything can pull it off.
>>
>>388863998
Blizzard (as much as their games suck nowadays) had the same backlash when they kept cease-and-desisting pirate WoW servers because their current expansions suck and they won't make legacy servers for old players I guess.
>>
>>388864214
Hi Valve
>>
They already did it once.
>Talk about a source remake of Half-Life
>Get fans hyped
>Fuck it, just port Half-Life to source with little to no changes, who cares lol HL2 is the new cash cow in town
>Fans get angry and develop their own remake
>Offer them a deal to sell the game of steam, with them getting a small margin of the profit
>badda bing badda boom, Black Mesa is in the room
Anyone wanna play Black Mesa deathmatch? i wanna try it out but no one ever plays
>>
>>388864845

I don't care who makes it. I just want it to be made (episode 3)
>>
If you really know how Valve work they would hire the modders and make the game official if it were actually that good like they did with Black Mesa.
>>
>>388865128
you seriously think that they moved Crowbar Collective into their offices just to finish the mod up? They just had them finish the mod and release it, none of the members actually work at valve.
>>
>>388865128
>>388865601

I am not familiar with this
>>
>>388866283
Black mesa was basically a free HL2 mod, which completely remade HL1 from scratch. Then valve noticed it's popular and offered crowbar collective to release the game on steam and add some bonus features for some amount of pocket change. I don't actually know if they have a long term contract, but as far as i know, Crowbar Collective (the original modders), are not working actively for Valve, they are "making" remakes of op4 and blue shift, i'm kinda stoked about that.
>>
>>388866681
Doesn't sound like they got a very good deal out of it lol
>>
>>388867408
It happened in the past too, how many original CS devs do you think are working on CS right now. Valve just "hires" modders to acquire the ideas they come up with, then just dumps them somewhere to die.
>>
>>388864214
>if you honestly believe this your Tin hat is on so fucking tight that I don't think anything can pull it off.

Gabe literally said at a conference a few years ago that the future of gaming creation would be in the hands of users. OP is probably right...
>>
>>388864214
You do realize that Valve essentially did the same thing with Counter Strike, right? They just took someone's mod and made it "official".
>>
>>388863998
Tell that to sega, they still dont eant to remove denuvo from sonic mania despite how they blatantly fucked over every legit pc user.

Valve will do dat shit.

Corporations are the enemy.
>>
>>388863092
A more likely scenario is that modders pick it up and if it's looking good, Valve hires the team to make it "official".
>>388863496
kek
>>
>>388864845
>>388865128
>>388865601
>>388868189
>>388868531
>>388869024

Should have remembered the "official modder hire" scenario for this theory. Good job guys.
>>
When you work on a new idea or invention or anything that can be copyrighted - QUIT YOUR JOB IMMEDIATELY
Even if you work at home the company that hired can claim that because of their financial compensation to you, you wouldn't have been able to create that invention, or in this case a video game
And if you work on it on a workplace computer, you're 100% fucked
It's how Valve works - Modders make a game, Valve "hires" the modders and gives them all this state of the art equipment (at the time) and an office to work in. Then after they make the game a few years down the road, kick them to the curb. Valve gets a free game and a new IP with none of the work.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (417KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
417KB, 2560x1440px
If anything, it is a cathartic moment for the community, since we now know how Episode 3 would look like, with HL2 story and characters tied up and cleared, with a potential plot-hook of Alyx and G-man for HL3 to pick up.

While it might sound trite, I would like for whomever does it in the future to continue the story with characters they developed in HL2 and for Gordon to fight fate and the dimensional asshole who set it all off in the first place. While the idea of being put in stasis for another battle in the future makes sense in term of game canon, it also removes the character from his origin too much and dissolves whatever emotional investment is supposed to be tying our journey together. While Combine as the enemy are done and can be retired, the plot could go anywhere, from going back to Black Mesa to fight the enemy at the source (which would be cool) to chasing after Alyx through various dimensions or post-Combine Earth with whatever new plot G-man set up to stop the Free Man.
>>
>>388868737
It can happen, even Valve backed down from paid-mods after two weeks of pure seething anger. Bethesda's a different story though.
>>
>>388871078
>Adrian in episode 3
would be nice
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.