[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

E-Sports and Olympics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 7

So /v/, with the possibility of Esports becoming an olympic medal event in a not so far future:
http://www.businessinsider.com/esports-in-consideration-for-2024-olympics-2017-8
How do you feel about it? Do you think that e-sport athletes are in the same level as the typical sportsman?
I for one can't wait for it to become a reality.
>>
there really isn't much you can do to make the olympics more cancerous
>>
>>388846965
How come dance dance revolution isn't an Olympic sport yet League might become one?
>>
I feel that if a console's suggested resolution scale setting is 66% at 720p so that the real rendering resolution is 844x475 then it should be called underpowered
>>
This will literally never happen.
>>
File: 1355106243864.gif (542KB, 500x378px) Image search: [Google]
1355106243864.gif
542KB, 500x378px
>companies making hundreds of millions off game tournaments
>bigger business wants in

nothing to see here
just video games dying a little more
>>
>>388847298
>This will literally never happen
$$$ can make it happen
>>
>train for years to become an Olympic e-athlete
>still can't get laid in the Olympian Village orgies
>>
>>388847101
Nu esports isn't about heritage or high skill floor
it's about money
>>
>Olympian Village orgies
Are you implying there will be female e-athletes in those villages?
>>
>>388848412
>doesn't even grant me a you
rude desu
The Olympic Village is where ALL Olympic athletes stay during the Olympics. THICC track and field athletes, curling qts, and presumably sweaty esports players if they get added
>>
The Olympic committee have stated that if they do include an esport into the games that it will be a nonviolent one. It will be FIFA 2020 and that's it.
>>
>>388848790
Except Chad will buy the nerds and humiliate them beyond redemption.
>>
>>388848790
>Elite THICC female athletes in the top of the human condition near greasy pale scrawny nerds.
I'd pay to see that.
>>
>>388848971
which was my original point, >>388847510
>>
>>388846965

Then they should bring back city planning and all those weird competitions from the old days.
>>
If it actually does happen, I imagine the outrage from normies will only allow esports as a competition for one year or two.

>>388848790
This is a pretty damn good motivation to make me want to git gud enough to play fightan at an Olympic level.
>>
>>388846965
>How do you feel about it?
the current competitive scene has nothing to do with any real competition, it's literally just a marketing exercise
>e-sport athletes are in the same level as the typical sportsman?
for quake or brood war maybe some fightan games probably but the shit they play is not on the the same level and they will not and should not ever be taken as seriously as a real sport
>>
>>388846965
You know all those other sports have existed since before copyright law was a thing, and I doubt they want to blow money giving some publisher the absolutely expensive and momentuous EXCLUSIVE BROADCAST LICENSE to air their gameplay worldwide.
>>
>>388846965
I think it's about as controversial as having chess in the Olympics would be. It's not really what I would associate the Olympics with, but I also don't feel like it's such a holy event that it would somehow be ruined by the inclusion of these things.
Overall I think it's better to listen to the opinion of the people who actually regularly follow or participate in the Olympics for this sort of thing rather than gamers who are more likely to be outsiders with limited experience when it comes to the Olympics.
>>
I don't think that's a good idea.
They won't be getting many viewers unless they can get the top talent.
You see all the streams of lesser tournaments and shit and they get really shit numbers
>>
>>388846965
Poker was going to be considered for the olympics. Keep that in mind
>>
I like esports more than most people on this board, but the Olympics is the wrong place for it and choosing between games is far too obviously about money for even the IOC.
>>
Why do people still care about the olympics?
It's entirely political and exists only to conduct money laundering, crony capitalism and political backscratching on an international level.

I can't think of anything more wasteful than completely demolishing city blocks in your capital city and running all the poor people out of town to build a one-time use stadium for tourists who will only be there for 2 weeks and then it goes completely unused.
>>
>>388847754
So then League won't become an Olympic sport? Because that's not what the Olympics is about.

Doesn't matter. I bet someone would try to bomb the event anyways.
>>
>>388851749
Except chess is not developed, balanced and maintained by a singular company. You don't need to pay Blizzard for a chess licence. The rules of chess cannot be changed by a single sweaty dev deciding that diagonal movement should be nerfed.
>>
File: I DON'T NEED IT.jpg (657KB, 1000x2876px) Image search: [Google]
I DON'T NEED IT.jpg
657KB, 1000x2876px
>Esports is cancer!

Which is shorthand for: watching genetically superior gamers play games at a level I could never hope to reach, AND receive money and praise for it, makes me feel extremely inadequate and jealous.

Girls see a beautiful girl > 'She is not that beautiful!' 'Her breasts are probably fake.'

/v/ sees a gifted gamer > 'He is not that good!' 'He probably uses cheats.'
>>
>>388852853
>see pic

What the hell she is beautiful.
>>
>>388852793
Yeah, neither is literally any other Olympic sport, so with that logic in mind, why hasn't chess become an Olympic sport?

It's really sad to be honest, that you'll have all these good looking fit Olympians, and trailing behind them is a bunch of acne ridden, pathetic losers, who are not only breaking a 120 year old tradition, but making themselves look embarrassing by comparison.
>>
>>388853175
YOU FUCKING GIRL FETISHIST!
>>
>>388846965
E-Sports is shit, but considering SFV airing on ESPN during EVO pissed off a lot of sportsfags I kinda wanna see the backlash if the Olympics allowed it.
>>
>>388853175
You evidently haven't been around a lot of middle aged women to understand why they are doing that.
>>
>>388852793
True, there are way more practical issues with incorporating video games in the Olympics than chess. I was more focused on the matter of whether or not video games is suited for the Olympics on a conceptual level. On a conceptual level I think having chess in the Olympics is about equally suitable as it would be to have video games.
>>
>>388852853
>Sport (British English) or sports (American English) includes all forms of competitive physical activity or physical games which,[1] through casual or organised participation, aim to use, maintain or improve physical ability while providing enjoyment to participants, and in some cases, entertainment for spectators.

Keyword here is physical. You cannot just add the word E to it and all of a sudden it means something entirely different.

I don't give a damn what they do, I don't care that they make money. It's all for naught anyways, because studies show that people who sit for more than six hours a day reduce their life expectancy by 20%, and they sit for a hell of a lot longer than 6. But it's just not a god damn sport. It doesn't fit the criteria for one, and putting an E in it doesn't change that. Imagine how a football player feels about it, or a formula one driver, spending all of their lives training for this special event, when all they really had to do was learn to use hot keys and strategize. And with the kind of determination and skills they have on the field, I bet they could translate that to wins in a PC game is they really felt like it.
>>
>>388851392
If they wanted to make esports a thing, they should really get someone to make some sort of original copyright-free fighting/FPS/MOBA game or something.
>>
Why League of Legends? Why not Age of Empires or Command and Conquer? Why a MOBA and not real strategy game?
>>
>>388854042
is the purpose of sport to elongate ones lifetime?

i dont see why you would mention this point.

or is the point of sport to emphasize the feelings of football players?
>>
>>388854298
Well considering that the Olympics as a whole is public domain, I don't think they'll have a choice. You can't exactly copyright basketball or the 100 meter dash, so this could create complications for a sue happy video game developer.
>>
>>388854672
Could be really cool to see a sort of "purified" fighting game made exclusively for the Olympics.
>>
>Olympic Village orgies

This has to be a myth right? It's always advised not to jack off or have sex 3 days before a sporting event or athletic competition
>>
File: 1498066622742.gif (2MB, 388x388px) Image search: [Google]
1498066622742.gif
2MB, 388x388px
>>388846965
>Do you think that e-sport athletes are in the same level as the typical sportsman?
Never fucking ever. Stay in your fucking basements and never come out, faggots.
>>
>>388854852
You ideally want to ejaculate exactly seven days before your event, but scheduling isn't tight enough that this is reliable.
>>
File: 1391646010688.png (71KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1391646010688.png
71KB, 800x1200px
>>388854920
>waaaa why can't I be as good at video games as the esports pros? I try so hard... f-fuck them! Stupid losers!
>>
>>388846965
>Do you think that e-sport athletes are in the same level as the typical sportsman?
maybe "sports" like darts or billiards, but i may be giving gaymers too much credit still.
>>
>>388854834
The whole appeal of fighting games is their complex input system built on 40 years of trial and error and their art style.
A generic fighting game would also be realistic, and that's no fun at all.
>>
File: reaction.jpg (91KB, 546x646px) Image search: [Google]
reaction.jpg
91KB, 546x646px
Reminder that esports' elite athletes are more intelligent than you. It is proven by science.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mental_chronometry#Mental_chronometry_and_cognitive_ability

>Researchers have reported medium-sized correlations between reaction time and measures of intelligence: There is thus a tendency for individuals with higher IQ to be faster on reaction time tests

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6639008 "Correlation between reaction time and intelligence in psychometrically similar groups in America and India."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1953598 "The genetic correlation between intelligence and speed of information processing."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2668913/ "Whole Brain Size and General Mental Ability: A Review"
>Reaction times are so easy to do that 9- to 12-year-old children can perform them in less than 1 s. On these simple tests, children with higher GMA scores perform faster than do children with lower scores, perhaps because reaction time measures the neurophysiological efficiency of the brain's capacity to process information accurately—the same ability measured by intelligence tests (Deary, 2000; Jensen, 2006). Children are not trained to perform well on reaction time tasks (as they are on certain paper-and-pencil tests), so the advantage of those with higher GMA scores on these tasks cannot arise from practice, familiarity, education, or training. Simple reaction time (SRT) measures correlate with IQ ~ 0.20, while more complex choice reaction time (CRT) measures correlate ~0.40. In aggregate, RTs can correlate 0.70 with IQ (Jensen, 2006).

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a178485.pdf "Visual Acuity and Reaction Time in Navy Fighter Pilots"

>Simple reaction times ranged from 143 to 461 msec, with a mean of 223 msec (SD = 0.055).
>>
Problem with E-sports in the olympics is that you can't have anything commercial in the olympics. The olympic competitors aren't even supposed to be professionals, though this rule is loosely enforced.

So you would need to construct stripped-down free versions of games just for the olympics, or something
>>
>>388856402
Wouldn't that preclude sponsorship?
Insane shit like this happens all the time in the olympics, it's very commercial.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2012/apr/13/olympics-2012-branding-police-sponsors
>>
>>388856997
It's not supposed to happen, but oh well. I guess it has to be that way in the current day.
>>
>>388846965
>Wrestling out
>Candy Crush Saga in
This truly is the worst timeline
>>
>>388856231
Good thing that's not what I meant by "purified," you moron.

I meant that someone could make a traditional fighting game with an emphasis on traditional character archetypes and completely original characters so you wouldn't have to deal with the clusterfuck of copyrights and choosing which fighting games to use.
>>
>>388856231
I would play it desu
Realistic IS an aesthetic
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.