[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people find it hard to make good vidya movies?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7

File: Assassin's_Creed_film_poster.jpg (67KB, 259x384px) Image search: [Google]
Assassin's_Creed_film_poster.jpg
67KB, 259x384px
I do not get it.
>>
>why can't hollywood make good video game movies?

With Jews, you lose.
>>
>>388840626
Because it's a more restricted medium.
>>
>>388840713
Not an answer
Mortal Kombat is the only good vidya movie OP
>>
>>388840626
Because video games have terrible stories and direction, for the most part

Yes, there are some with great examples of both, but those aren't the games that get adapted into films nor need to be
>>
>>388840810
But mortal kombat is shit.
>>
File: 1495291015056.jpg (148KB, 856x728px) Image search: [Google]
1495291015056.jpg
148KB, 856x728px
>>388840713
>>388840802
>>388840810
>take ANY story arc from any game
>apply three act structure
>any unnecessary backstory/exposition cut completely
>split scenes between muh historical conspiracy and muh stealthy assassinations/action cgi explosions
>show some graphical glitches in ending
>IT WAS ALL A SIMULATION tweest

You now have a complete movie with an opening to a sequel.
Is it so hard to do?
>>
>>388840713
this, and:
consider Serious Sam
you go and shoot monsters, that's it
it is fun if you want it to be fun
now movie about the same
it is boring as fuck because it is guy on the screen shooting monsters, not you
>>
>having him lay in the animus is too dull
>straps him to some weird contraption instead so they have shots of him doing flips and rolling or something while going through past memories

ebin
>>
MORTAL KOMBAT
>>
>>388840802
This. Video game stories are more akin to novels (regardless of whether the quality is the same, I mean length and scale) so to cram that into 2 hours is over ambitious bordering on naivety.

You have to take a lot of liberties to translate it and it doesn't often work. Video games also feature stories that just wouldn't work if they weren't interactive. Can you imagine a God of War or Shenmue movie? They'd be fucking terrible.
>>
>>388841097
Street Fighter
>>
File: 35e.png (301KB, 492x463px) Image search: [Google]
35e.png
301KB, 492x463px
>>388841145
>GOW
>completely linear "hero's journey" story you can't affect in any way
>just wouldn't work if they weren't interactive
>>
>>388840626
Because video games are always made with gameplay as a priority and the story must fit around the gameplay, adapting this formula to a movie never works because without the gameplay it becomes painfully obvious how shallow the story and characters actually are.
>>
>>388841295
>video games are always made with gameplay as a priority
You'd think, wouldn't you?
>>
>>388840626

Because video game fans are sub-autists that are impossible to please.
>>
The people who make the movies aren't fans of the games , they are just cashing in on something others like. They don't really understand it and don't care to.
>>
>>388840626
1. You need people who are familiar with the game making the movie. Not just someone who knows the story, but somehow who knows how it feels to play the game.
2. Most of the time you can't just copy the story over, even if the game is known for it's good story. But if you use a game as a source material, you still need to pin down the feel.
3. Don't make movies out of games that have no potential. For example, if you make a GTA movie, you're just copying a game that copied 80/90s crime movies so it's probably not gonna be good.
4. Don't try to please everyone. Someones gonna be upset that it's too far from the original, someone's gonna be upset that it just copies the game story.
Mostly it's just what you need for any good movie. Good director, good budget, good story. good actors. But Hollywood sees these titles as quick cash ins and don't give them any respect
>>
>>388841267
Thanks for the meme bro, I'll add it to my "meme" folder
>>
>>388840626
Because gamers are too autistic to recognize good things, Silent Hill 1, RE1 and Prince Of Persia are all good movies that would had been praised if they didn't had to appeal to cancerous fanbases
>>
>>388841145
>can you imagine a completely linear action set piece as a movie
Why, yes
>>
This movie is legit amazing. Objectively the best video game movie to date.
>>
>>388840626
Because people successful enough to make vidya movies happen didn't get to where they are by playing video games.
>>
>>388840626
The unchated series was pretty good tho.
>>
>>388841640
Agreed. Captured the mood and feel of silent hill perfectly.
>>
>>388841364
Well it's true. Like the hidden blade for example, it exists in the games because it's a cool gameplay mechanic, not because it makes sense. when you remove the cool factor of that gameplay mechanic and are just left with a spring loaded wrist knife that you have to cut off your finger to use like in the movie, it looks really dumb. The movie is fraught with problems like this.
>>
>>388840626
because anyone who's making a movie based off a videogame doesn't need to worry about it not being shit since it's guranteed to make millions because normalfags eat this shit up for some reason
>>
they have to cater to multiple audiences at the same time.
1. the fans of the series
2.the general audience who has never seen or heard anything about the series

It's obvious that the Assassin's Creed movie wanted to be for the fans of the series, but there were multiple scenes of exposition that anyone who had played one of the games would already know
>>
Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva is great
Wreck-It-Ralph is good
The King of Kong is good
Pixels is decent
Super Mario Bros. is interesting
>>
>>388840626
They try to a double shit. Shit in the game audience, and shit in the traditional movies audience. You can add some plus if it's a japanese product since they will shit even harder.
>>
File: asdasdaddsdd.jpg (430KB, 1426x718px) Image search: [Google]
asdasdaddsdd.jpg
430KB, 1426x718px
>>388840626
I even like nfs movie
>>
File: 1501307063412.png (110KB, 453x508px) Image search: [Google]
1501307063412.png
110KB, 453x508px
>>388842382
>Pixels is decent
>>
>>388842827
I kinda liked SH movie and I don't know why people hate it so much. The atmosphere was good enough for me to enjoy it.
Tomb Raider is fine too, its a standard over-the-top action movie for its time it wasn't really worse than non-game action movies that came out at the time.
I legitimately like the first Resident Evil movie, it had a lot of good things before Paul Anderson decided to make every consecutive movie have random plots or characters from the game thrown in for no reason.

I'd actually recommend all the Resident Evil movies to people, because despite the fact that they are pretty bad, shit goes off the rails so hard they still end up really entertaining. Not to mention each of them is so different from the last, I'm not sure if Paul even remembers anything he did in the previous movie while making the new one. It's fucking uncanny, the last movie makes LESS sense if you actually watched any of the previous ones.
>>
>>388841394
It still kills me that the Jew in charge of the Uncharted movies think that its a story about family and not nate being a greedy fuckup
>>
@388841514
@388841640
>Silent Hill 1
Not today reddit
>>
>>388841640
It would be perfect if they didn't add those stupid faces on the right.
>>
>>388840626
the movie is terrible and boring as shit so it's perfect for asscreed fans
>>
>>388840626
They always hire people in theirs 30s/40s who have never played the games to work on them.

See comic book movies before Marvel took over. Usually pretty boring, and when they were great, they were too different from the source material.Either way, it was easier to make movies about superheroes an villains. Then Marvel took over and actually put people who read comics and understand their characters in charge.

Now take games. Their stories are most of the times too weird or different. Add people who have never actually played them to get a sense of the characters and atmosphere, and you get shit.

I guess the closest we got was the Warcraft movie, with Blizzard behind it. But then it lacked actual talented people to make the story great without needing to know about the game beforehand.

Give it 10-20 years for actual game enthusiast to get into the industry. Then we'll get good movies. Technology and CGI becoming cheaper with time also helps.
>>
>>388845248
....Uncharted is about a guy struggling between family AND being a greedy, glory hungry asshole.
>>
>>388841145

Goldeneye was a pretty good video game movie imho. They managed to fit a lot of the levels in scenes and even had good story reasons behind it.

Did people somehow forget this existed?
>>
File: baitklienerprismaillya.png (82KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
baitklienerprismaillya.png
82KB, 800x600px
>>388841640
(you)
>topic
they never follow the source material, and overhype, like how much did you hear about warcraft before it was out? what about now? ...
>>
>>388842827
>tfw we never got edgelord Jaky Gyllenhaal for PoP sequels
>>
>>388840626
Because Hollywood is full of hacks, even moreso than the videogame industry is. Everyone good has retired, stuck to making art films, or moved to television, there are no good action directors anymore.
>>
>Hand off your IPs to shlockmasters
>Wonder why your movies are terrible
>>
>>388840626
They want a vidya or gamy movie, which is non-existence. Video games have a much wider spectrum in terms of interactivity which is beyond the reach of film.

Yes you can make a fucking movie with the same feel and tone of Uncharted. But can you deliver the same experience with Journey? Bloodborne? Metroid? Super Mario?

>Story =/= The experience game provided.

In example of Assassin's Creed, what makes the story intriguing is the conflict between Templars and Assassins, a clash between ideals which has great potential for a film adaption if you asked me.

But what the gameplay provided is another thing. You have parkour, stealth, gadgets etc. Those could be poorly translate to film because they contribute nothing to the story.
>>
>>388840626
Interaction is a major part of games, no matter how "cinematic" they are. They do not fit the typical "curve of drama" design books and films follow (intro-mid part-climax-outro).
You take that detail out of it, together with the potential 10+ hours of experiencing things little by little, and you are left with a gutted husk that does not fit anywhere.

>>388840810
This.

>>388841640
That movie is absolutely AWFUL.
Shit acting, shit writing, shit pacing, dumped down and streamlined for the wider audiences... only good thing is the soundtrack, ripped straight out of the games.
>>
Hollywood very rarely, if ever, actually writes scripts to fit whatever license they've bought. Instead they have archives of thousands of ready made scripts, from which they pick one that vaguely resembles the license in question, and roll with it. Why, I have no idea.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.