[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pillars of Eternity is a good game. Discuss it.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 197
Thread images: 16

File: header.jpg?t=1491502742.jpg (54KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg?t=1491502742.jpg
54KB, 460x215px
Pillars of Eternity is a good game. Discuss it.
>>
Yes, it is. Got 500+ hours clocked in on the bad boy. Can't wait for Deadfire.
>>
File: image139[1].jpg (177KB, 916x668px) Image search: [Google]
image139[1].jpg
177KB, 916x668px
I actually had a hard time liking this game partly because the world and "costume" design was so uninspired. It looked like one of those cheap 70's fantasy movies, except that even those actually had heart put into them instead of soulless cargo-cult nostalgia.
>>
>>388836351
>"Most events at the stronghold occur over the passage of game time. Tax collection, completion of side adventures, and the generation of crafting ingredients occur as you complete quests."
>all resources in the game are limited
>backer NPCs with shitty names and stories
What were they fucking thinking?
>>
>>388837839
I agree that the Backer NPCs suck, but I don't understand your other two points or how they're a point against the game.
>>
>>388837978
Because if you waste resources you are fucked and have no way to ever get new ones? I understand that they wanted to avoid people resting all the time to accumulate infinite resources, but it's a fucking singleplayer game and surely there is a better solution to this. At least make the bounties repeatable or whatever. The current system encourages beelining for Caed Nua and doing absolutely zero quests while trying to accumulate as much money as possible to upgrade shit so you get the most out of the Stronghold.
>>
>>388837978
>>388838407
Oh, and if you are at the point where you should start doing quests you have to savescum because actually getting Stronghold Turn is RNG on top of that. Brilliant system.
>>
>>388836351
Best class for a first time player?
>>
The fact that you have to go out and convince people that it's good implies that it's not.
>>
>>388838407
>>388838476
The game is filled with so much content that it's just really unrealistic for you to not have loads of money and whatever resource you want. That's before you even add in the stronghold giving you shit all the time. It's really not a problem. No one is gonna get stuck because they're completely out of money and can't buy potions or camping supplies.
>>
>>388836351
I tried to like it, but it almost made me fall asleep.
Also the backer NPCs were fucking stupid, they should've put them into a secret area or something.
>>
>>388838556
You can't go wrong with Ranged Ciphers
>>
>>388838556
Anything that isn't gimped by having per-day abilities.
>>
>>388838796
I know you're right, but it's just such a terrible design decision. Aren't some materials very limited though? I tried playing the game on release and when I found out about this it just made me drop the game immediately. Why does everything have to be limited? I tried playing it recently again and when I thought about this I just lost all motivation again. I think I will restart and just play the game normally and use console commands.
>>
>>388839719
I was filled to the brim with money that I couldn't spend anywhere because I had everything. You really shouldn't be too worried about it or bother with console commands. Money becomes a sink in no time, especially if you're a completionist and go around doing everything the game has to offer.
>>
>>388839719
Durgan. Ingots.

Hope you like having to roleplay a certain way to be able to use an extremely finite resource (There are 34 ingots in the entire game. You use them in 3 or 4 depending on how you roleplay. So not only do you have finite findable resources but you can't even buy more AND no matter what you have a surplus because the devs cannot into math.
>>
I found it lacking
main quest was not fun to me, and tunnels under my fortress were very grindy
it is hard to top gems like Arcanum in terms of worldbuilding, but for fucks sake, they could at least try
>>
I liked it but didn't feel the game world was very immersive, characters a little meh.

Better than D:OS though.
>>
Playing on ps4, its fun but Divinity original Sin is better.
>>
>>388840724
Divos 2 looks like it's going to blow Divos prime out of the water. 3 weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTWTFX8qzPI
>>
>>388840279
Just save them up for the end game content and use them on your end game equipment.
>>
>>388840279
>0 Enchantment Points
So there is no downside to using them? These things seem amazing.
>>388841490
>find item
>can't use it until endgame because it would be a waste
It is exactly as I feared it would be. This triggers me.
>>
>>388841687
That's how item management works, dog.
>>
>>388838556
Depends what kind of player you are but my vote is
>Cipher (Alright class to learn with, strongest point is controlling the enemies and making it easy to win for your team)
>Wizard (Excellent boss fighter and class in the fights that REALLY matter, relies on casts per day)
>Priest (this is the most powerful in my opinion but not for damage reasons (though they can deal awesome damage, slightly behind the wizard if you know what you're doing) but since you get a priest and wizard anyway I say it's better to have 2 wizards and 1 priest rather than 2 priests and 1 wizard)
>Fighter/Paladin (Take your pick, both work well as a unkillable machine capable of dealing simple damage if you wish)
>>
>>388842360
The reason why Cipher is probably the best choice for new players is because they are already gonna get a mighty functional fighter, wizard and priest within the first few hours of the game.
>>
>>388842570
I mean, I think it's just easy to learn with and fits in well with your character and the story. 2 wizards or 2 priests is not bad by any means, 2 wizards will actually probably make most things a cake walk if you combo together such as Aloth using the spell that pulls things together and you using a blight or aoe spell.
>>
>>388842786
To be fair, the game is generally a cake walk anyway.
>>
>>388843013
I think it's moderately challenging on Hard and hell on earth if you go POTD
>>
File: tyranny.jpg (267KB, 1357x813px) Image search: [Google]
tyranny.jpg
267KB, 1357x813px
>>388836351
I personally thought Tyranny was better.
More original concept, better execution on thematic development in the story (like entire gameplay mechanics are meant to embody story themes).
Characters were more interesting in conception and marginally better in execution.
More interesting choices to make and I liked the combat about as much as PoE. They're different but I liked them the same amount.
>>
>>388844430
I'd say that to, for new players at least. Once you have a playthrough of experience you know how to ''actually'' fight and target the weakness of enemy since you learn how will/deflection attacks and defenses will work and then you can take advantage of that weakness and almost always crit a whole group with an aoe. Fuck spirits though,
always. Thank god for flame of fans.
>>
>>388844629
The concept is better but the actual execution of it is very shit, in my opinion, it ends with classic Chosen One against The Evil Lord bullshit. Combat is way more casual and is essentially nothing but spamming abilities when they get out of cooldowns. The companions are all very under-developed and boring, aside from Lantry.
>>
>>388845165
Also, at least Pillars of Eternity doesn't end in a cliffhanger
>>
>>388845684
Fuck Tyranny
>>
>>388840704
>Better than D:OS though.
Not a high bar
>>
File: 1479167254238.jpg (68KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
1479167254238.jpg
68KB, 640x960px
>>388836351
>RTwP
>>
>>388838556
cipher is fun and fits well lore wise
>>
>>388849005
Real Time with Pause is the Yooka-Laylee of strategy. Outdated and only praised by nostalgia fags when modern real-time and turn-based strategy games are much better.
>>
File: Corax, Smooth as fuck.gif (353KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
Corax, Smooth as fuck.gif
353KB, 800x450px
>>388845165
It ends with more chosen-one bullshit than I would have liked but I think it handled its themes throughout, prior to that point, pretty well.

I also assumed that the reason that the pillar reacted to the Fatebinder was because they had broken an edict and absorbed a bit of Kyros' magic.

Combat is more casual but I feel like that can be addressed in the next game, if there is one. The way it handled magic, at least, had tons of potential.

The companions weren't any more or less developed than the PoE ones I think, and I found Most of them to be interesting with the exception of the Beast woman and maybe Ebb. It seemed that the dialogue trees became shorter and shorter the later you got the companion.

Up till the actual cliff-hanger itself, I thought the third act was alright. I liked all the fatebinding we did throughout the story for peoples' individual issues and shit. That was great and it should be the main focus if they make some sort of directors cut
>>
>>388849248
I don't understand how RTwP apologists don't get that turn-based forces the implementation of a grid, which resolves all the pathfinding problems the AIs have with RTwP, which also prevents a cover system from being coherent.
>>
>>388849005
>>388849248
There are a billion of RPGs that have been released in the past ten years and basically all of them are turn based. Let us have fucking ONE real time with pause game, you fucking dipshits.
>>
Zahua a best
>>
>>388838804
i havent played this yet, whats a backer npc and why does it suck?
>>
>>388850798
There are NPCs that have golden name plates. When you interact with them, you have the option of "peering into their soul", which inevitably leads to a boring wall of text about that NPCs backstory that no one in their right mind gives a fuck about. Each of those NPCs were backers of the game that paid a certain amount to be a NPC in the game. Fortunately, they have their own unique nameplates, so you can just ignore them and you're good.
>>
>>388850976
that sounds so organic and cool
jk
>>
File: 016f8df0528968557370baeb06370189.jpg (857KB, 934x1200px) Image search: [Google]
016f8df0528968557370baeb06370189.jpg
857KB, 934x1200px
Can I make an edgy Paladin in this game? Won't buy it otherwise.
>>
>>388851652
They're annoying. Deadfire isn't gonna have them, fortunately.
>>
>>388852693
You can. If you want to be pure stoic, you go Goldpact Knights (We are contractors, gold is great), if you want to go full Edgy, you go Bleak Walkers (Be merciless and brutal in everything you do)
>>
>>388852693
There's a supremely edgy paladin order just for you.
>>
File: 1498839573370.jpg (193KB, 557x742px) Image search: [Google]
1498839573370.jpg
193KB, 557x742px
>>388853028
>>388853031
Good, now I play the waiting game until it's on sale on steam again. A-Anytime soon, right?
>>
>>388853105
They are meming you. The pacts mean pretty much nothing in terms of both gameplay and dialogue
>>
>>388853326
The fuck are you talking about? Pillars of Eternity lets you be the most sadistic asshole like very few RPGs let you. There are not a lot of RPGs out here where you can kill literally any NPC you want. And there are dialogue options to match all of that. Then, there's the fact that there are a dozen or so unique responses based on you being a Bleak Walker Paladin. Lastly, the more cruel and brutal you act, the more you align with the Bleak Walker order, which improves your abilities and your Paladin devotion, improving AoE, length of buffs, etc.

So, you're completely fucking wrong in everything you just said. You couldn't have come up with a more false sentence.
>>
>>388853105
Just pirate it dumb fateposter
>>
>>388836351
Combat is really bad (at the very least as far as magic goes) and there's barely any difference between the classes; the backgrounds or races don't really matter except stats and 3 characters who'll make a comment on them.
>>
>>388853567
It's weird how people barely give a shit when this monstrous purple woman with a big triangle for a head walks up to them.
>>
>>388853567
>and there's barely any difference between the classes
You have such an extremely poor understanding of the game, that I can't help but suspect you have not played it.
>>
>>388844629
i actually loved tyranny because it let me roleplay a character i had always wanted to play. just a morally grey pit fighter who does what kyros tells him to in order to minimise bloodshed. i don't think i've been that invested in roleplaying a character for a long time.
>>
>>388853868
I wanted to roleplay as that too, but it still sucked because I was constantly forced to pick between two sides warring with each other, unable to unite them because both their leaders were petulant children. And then at the end I'm forced to fight against Kyros.
>>
File: 1495591309507.gif (92KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1495591309507.gif
92KB, 500x281px
Mechanically I enjoyed it but the setting was shit and I literally dropped the game when the only responses you could have towards that one dude trying to preserve his family line were dickhole ones. You can literally support genocide in this game but you can't support a guy trying to keep his line alive because he raped a girl. Fucking stupid.
>>
>>388854032
the setting was the best thing for me. it was way more refreshing than forgotten realms. loved the lore and the gods and the science/magic of the world.
>>
>>388853868
They're adding a fifth path in the free patch when the expansion comes out. It's the Loyalist path where you never oppose Kyros, so it'll be the sort of TRUE Tyranny path.
I wager you'll get a lot out of it, plus the new game plus mode they added

I played as a sort of Northern equivalent of a Scribe with the Guild Apprentice background and hand-to-hand combat. I roleplayed a sort of OverlordWeeb who loved everything about his law and order and I ended up allying with the Disfavored since they exemplified what my guy loved about Kyros' law.

A handful of bits that I thought Tyranny (at least up until the bit where you oppose Kyros) was great:
>Graven Ashe and Voices of Nerat are basically The Major and Alucard from Hellsing
>Meme-magic is literally an in-universe force and a game mechanic.
>You get a miniature version of Ash's Aegis when you side with him.
>>
>>388853857
Name 3 spells that aren't "deal damage/heal/buff stats/lower stats for enemy"
You get the occasional cc and that's it. Does it really matter at one point whether I'm going barbarian, warrior or paladin? Because it sure as fuck doesn't matter as far as roleplaying goes, especially when there's walls of texts describing the classes and their backstories or whatever. Like with the paladin orders, you'll get +1 in a stat and maybe 1 different dialogue option. Ain't that fun. Same as

>>388853735
where the Godlikes are described as shunned upon outcasts, but no one gives a shit
>>
>>388854473
There's more unique dialogue for your class and background in Pillars of Eternity than in any other modern CRPG released within the past five years except maybe Age of Decadence.
>>
File: NatSoc Wave.jpg (165KB, 666x1024px) Image search: [Google]
NatSoc Wave.jpg
165KB, 666x1024px
>>388853973
Like I said to >>38885386 , The new patch on September 7th is gonna add in a Loyalist path for people who want to stay true to Kyros

And that's sort of the whole thing about the warring sides: the evil in Tyranny is bureaucratic, not the absolute arbitrary evil of Sauron.
All the issues that arise tend to come from the fact that Kyros administrates from afar and delegates so many responsibilities to free-acting entities.

Like consider how much fucking latitude you're given as a third in command under Tunon. You're basically a free-agent so long as you're acting within the law. You basically amass an accidental resistance movement right under Kyros' nose.
>>
>>388854593
>modern cRPG within the past 5 years

Wew, all 5 of them?
>>
>>388854763
Rolling my eyes at you, senpai. There's way more than that.
>>
>>388854593
i made a fire godlike cipher for my second playthrough because i heard that combo gives you the most dialogue options.

but i am struggling to really define a character. i don't feel much connection to who i am playing. i need to restart
>>
File: gun.jpg (8KB, 228x221px) Image search: [Google]
gun.jpg
8KB, 228x221px
>>388854370
>>388854671
Well, it's too fucking late now. I already finished the damn game. I'm not gonna replay it from the start because they finally let me roleplay as who I want. Especially when I suspect that these motherfuckers are gonna keep milking out new DLCs (which may not even be endgame related and actually finish that cliffhanger ending) for years.
>>
>>388854818
Name them then if you're so great
>>
>SJW world
>Plot is literally to tip your fedora and kill all the gods
>Your choices flat out dont matter
>>
>>388854593
That's what, 10 lines total?
Not saying it isn't a problem with most games, just that PoE promoted it as a strong suit, with a useless truckload of sub-races, sub-classes, and backgrounds, which only provide negligible stats instead of roleplayability
>>
>>388836351
Yes, but the main plot was boring as fuck.
However the world has potential so hopefully the sequel will be a lot better.

But either way it doesn't matter, because Div:OS2 (AKA: probably the best RPG in 15 years) will be released in 2 weeks.
>>
File: tumblr_lpptgcYQhN1qcoog8o1_500.jpg (50KB, 500x382px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lpptgcYQhN1qcoog8o1_500.jpg
50KB, 500x382px
Tbh I thought Act 3 was really fucking boring and a letdown.
>>
>>388854370
will i have to start a new save? i haven't finished the game yet.
>>
>>388854942
I mean I doubt they're gonna do much for DLC for this game since it didnt garner the public hype nor the sales of PoE.
Pillars will likely get all the DLC and sequels for years to come.

I'd like it more if they basically brought some other studio on to help handle Tyranny 2. Obsidian handles the story (with a satisfying ending) and some other studio handles combat and they both cooperate on all the other mechanics, particularly the reputation ones
>>
>>388855252
Uhh, not sure. Depends on what the requirements for that ending are.
Plus, if you finish the game once, you can do a NG+ and bring some legendary items with you to zoom through again.
>>
>>388854959
Wasteland 2, Shadowrun: Returns, Shadowrun: Dragonfall, Shadowrun: Hong Kong, Divinity: Original Sin, The Witcher 3, Expedition: Conquistador, Expedition: Viking, The Banner Saga, Legend of Grimrock 1 and 2, Serpent in Staglands, Lords of Xulima, Dead State, Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear or whatever it's called.
>>
>>388854357
To each their own. I shouldn't have said shit rather I just didn't enjoy it as much as Tyranny
>>
>>388855261
>I mean I doubt they're gonna do much for DLC for this game since it didnt garner the public hype nor the sales of PoE.
You're missing an important aspect. Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2 are made by Obsidian alone with the help of crowdfunding. Tyranny, on the other hand, is being funded and controlled by Paradox. There's a reason why Tyranny has DLCs for portrait packs and random encounters in the overworld, while Pillars of Eternity doesn't.
>>
>>388855517
>The Witcher 3
>>
>>388855517
>Look, this RPG game where you're given a preset, unchangeable protagonist has less race-based dialogue than this other RPG with full character creation and 20 playable races!

>Look, this other RPGs with only one playable race too!
>>
>>388855905
>only one playable race

Fallout games sucks right?
>>
>>388855905
Well, the fuck do you want? Doesn't change my statement. I said:
>There's more unique dialogue for your class and background in Pillars of Eternity than in any other modern CRPG released within the past five years except maybe Age of Decadence.
And it's true.
>>
>>388855517
+Inquisitor, Torment: Tides of Numenera, Avernums, Underrail, Age of Decadence
>>
>>388855668
Then I'm really of mixed feelings.
At once, I'm happy that we're getting more content at all
On the other hand, if Crusder Kings 2 is anything to go by, they won't give a single ounce for free
>>
>>388856153
The point was that the guy said PoE had more race based dialogue than Witcher, which is dumb.

>>388856258
Shit, if you're going to compare it to games like that, I guess you're right.
Then again, you could compare it to Dragon Age or some games from, you know, the same category ie games with more than 1 playable races and character creation.
Fuck, even Skyrim had more race/"class" dialogue.
>>
>>388856494
Skyrim is complete trash. Dragon's Age is a pretty good RPG, especially when you consider it to the competition of around the same era.
>>
>>388856950
I was only talking about the world reacting to your background
>>
>>388856481
Yeah, maybe I'll consider replaying it once it's with a full GOTY Complete edition three years from now.
>>
>>388855140
Act 3 was so comfy
>>
>>388857629
>GOTY for Tyranny
>With Proper expansion where you lead the forces you've accumulated down whatever ending you earned
>With more endings for individual party member arcs
>With 100+ extra legal situations for you to adjudicate on
My dick
>>
>>388849431

Tyranny's companions didn't even have proper character arcs. You could learn that Verse is a spy the moment you get her and bit later you could learn that her and Barik are half-siblings. But there isn't anything after that. She is kind of distressed about becoming something like Voices of Nerat, but it's not developed further in any shape or form.
At the very least PoE had some sort of closure for each companion, although some of them were terribly anticlimatic.
>>
The dungeon under the stronghold was boring
>>
i bought the base game ages ago and never played, can I pirate the two dlcs and add them to the game somehow?
>>
>>388836351
>Pillars of Eternity is a good game.

Ehhh, I'm not really convinced it is. I was supposed to be an easy mark for it since I loved all the Infinity engine games, even the bad ones, but PoE just didn't grab me. It felt dull and pointless from the start. Once I hit a brick wall boss, I simply quit and never looked back.
>>
>>388859703
Fair enough.
I agree that Verse's arc didn't really have any resolution, particularly given that you bring up the fact that she has this ability to take people's personas away from them and then she just never wants to talk about it again.

I liked the bits of characterization we got, I just wish they had actual resolutions to those arcs.

Also It seemed to me that Sirin, Eb and the beastwoman basically got no arc whatsoever.

If they were to actually give them all proper development that is paced and reactive to the story beats, I wager they could re-release down the line with all the DLC and get some actual sales
>>
>>388860012

I've been wondering why this was and I haven't come up with a definite answer, but part of it was that I didn't like the character system with its Muscle Wizards, and I hated the loot. It seemed like all the stuff I found in the dungeons and stores was equal in strength to all the other crap I found in dungeons and stores. It didn't feel like I was making progress.

The NPCs were also a bunch of shit. Only one I liked was the first Avellone character, Durance. He was a hundred times better written and more interesting than the Generic Sword Dude, Generic Shit Wizard, Generic Eskimo Monk Or Whatever The Hell That Was Supposed to Be. I never reached the second Avellone character but I assume that one would have also been great. It was just too little, too late. I needed characters to like.
>>
>>388836351
Shit writing and railroads you too hard. What I remember from beginning:
>You're a settler looking for free property
>The random vision you witness consumes your every thought
>The game pushes the first 3-4 party members on your lap

I spent too long making my characters, downloading avatar icons and coming up with some sort of background story to guide my choices. And then the game just tells me how I feel, or what I desire to do.

Theres the gay wizard thats getting bullied by nazies. If you ignore it, you still get pulled into it. The priest that inserts himself into your story. I don't remember what the bard has to say, he just happens to be there by the entrance of the main questline dungeon.

Yay, shades.

And theres the kickstarter characters that have no value. I have a bad habit of looting everything. Once I realize I need money and how easy it is to loot NPC's homes, I start looting them. When I walk into a house and see a Kickstarter character standing there surrounded by random trash that I can hoard and sell, what remorse could I possibly feel? They don't affect the story, side-quests, nor any scripted events. They have no value, they are pests. If the game was bugged so to cause rats to trigger witnessing crime scripts, I would routinely kill all the rats and pests before turning the place upside down.
>>
>>388860670
>He didn't like Edér
He's a bro
>>
Deadfire looks great
>>
File: 1477129051908.gif (818KB, 268x274px) Image search: [Google]
1477129051908.gif
818KB, 268x274px
>Playing the blandest RPG made in last 10 years when D:OS exists
>Probably looks forward to POE2 when D:OS2 already looks better in every way
>Cant even play as undead
Are you guys emos that like to hurt themselves?
>>
>>388860079

The game really has an issue of being entirely designed by interns who weren't terribly creative or capable.
Companions having some characterization, but no proper story arcs with a beginning, middle and closure is one sign.
Other one is the combat. It's Pillars with basically no resource management, virtually nonexistent encounter design with whopping three enemy types and combo moves that are just there for the sake of fancy animations. The spell creation is only novel thing that adds something, but it's also broken.
The game banks a lot on replay value, but different playthroughs don't really feel that different. The only dialogue checks are on lore, which can be met on any character as long as you pick the lore option in dialogue which the game heavily incentives. I think subterfuge gets you more items since you can pick locks, but that's it. Otherwise skills just determine what cooldowns you spam in combat. The game is pretty much just railroads you in a general path after Act 1 and it always boils down to choosing one area where you don't go and fighting on one side.

Age of Decadence has the same general design principle of a short reactive game, but it does virtually everything so much better that it really makes you wonder how competent the new blood in Obsidian is.
>>
>>388838556
The game is extremely biased towards Ciphers. They are EZ mode and have the most interactions out of any class (You basically need to take a Cipher with you in order to do a lot of shit so you might as well just make it your main character)
>>
>>388836351
I dropped it when I turned out that combat gives no XP. So all sense of progress was dead because I made a good party that got turbo XPd by the dungeon below the keep.

Also - four fighters, buffer/debuffer custom party mopped the floor of enemies 2-3 levels above my own.
>>
>>388864123
>dropping a game because you can't grind

it's not like it's hard to get XP, just do quests
>>
>>388863978
Are melee cipher viable? I dig psions and heard they fit best lorewise, but don't like ranged characters.
>>
>>388863097
>*holds up spork* divinity's writing is le epic xD
This is what I imagine Divinity fags sound like
>>
>>388864204
Quests were 20% of the game at the point at which I dropped it. 80% was grind - which was pointless because no XP, loads of overpowered gear and tons of money I had. I just lost intrest after I got to the major hub town at the bottom of the map.
>>
>>388864246
They are very viable, but definitely not as easy and imbalanced as ranged ones.
>>
>>388864123

I think you get xp from bestiary completion, so combat does give it but only to a point.
It's understandable since it doesn't incentivize "kill everything you see" over noncombat options, but the game has too many generic xaurip and slime encounters.
>>
The spells per day is bad game design and makes no sense

>Sorry I've casted three fireballs today its a felony to cast anymore gg

Mana bar is superior
>>
>>388864928
(you)
>>
What would be a good build and weapon type for a melee Priest? Spellcasting will be the characters number one duty of course, but after that I want to walk I into the fray. I was considering a Berathian great sword user, but maybe weapons with reach would be better like pikes/spears.
>>
>>388864928
Kind of this. Fighters got that stamina/life which allows them to fight for a long while, when mages, at least at the beginning, suffer because after they cast their stuff, they are dead weight.

Also - limited supplies, thus no way to just rest-scum doubly screwed them.
>>
>>388864246
Kind of. They've always been subpar, and the constant cipher nerfs in the name of balance fucked melee ciphers in the ass much more than they did the actually broken ranged ciphers. But they are still alright.
>>
File: hate.jpg (9KB, 302x225px) Image search: [Google]
hate.jpg
9KB, 302x225px
>>388864741
>>388865160
>constant buffs/nerfs in the name of balance
>in a fucking singleplayer game
>>
Pillars of Eternity or Divinity: Original Sin?
>>
>>388864246
Definitely. Your go to weapons will be sabers or stilettos and you'll need to micromanage more but it works great.
>>
>>388865629
>sabers or stilettos

That's gay as fuck.
>>
>>388865097

Per rest abilities just emphasize using the abilities less often, but I wouldn't call wizards, druids or priests gimped.
On a design perspective I just don't like per rest abilities, since it gives an unnecessary emphasis to metagaming skills (as in knowing when the more difficult fights will happen and such) and if the game has a large amount of easy generic encounters it makes them even more boring if you need to be use abilities more scarcily.
>>
File: finest roleplaying.gif (2MB, 360x241px) Image search: [Google]
finest roleplaying.gif
2MB, 360x241px
>>388836351
It is not, in fact, a good game.
But it was an OK experience.
>>
>>388865395

I can understand buffing some general build if it's completely useless or nerfing mindlessly broken ones, but Sawyer has autism.
>>
>>388864928
It's jerks like you that made it so Deadfire doesn't have per-day casting anymore. Spells are gonna be way weaker.
>>
>>388865594
Divinity: Original Sin has a better combat system
Pillars of Eternity has a better everything else
Easy decision, in my opinion
>>
>>388865734
Melee ciphers play like rogues so stilettos fit them perfectly. Sabers are if you want crits over attack speed.
>>
>>388865395
Go fucking kill yourself or at least sit in a corner and never post again. Fucking retard.
>>
>>388865931
Either way - you don't get to use them because they fall into "too good to use" category. Thus classes which rely on them are dead weight until you get 20 or something castings of shit per level.

It is a bad game mechanic with conjunction of limited restings.
>>
>>388836351
Skyrim is a better adventure game, I don't get how anyone can immerse themselves in a world when the view is top down.
>>
>>388866363
hi Josh
>>
>>388866381
masterb8
>>
>>388866381
I unironically agree. While Skyrim might have boring caves filled with Dragur, at least said caves provide XP and loot.
>>
>>388865594
divinity must've been written by a fucking 15 year old. I've never been offended by such low quality writing in an RPG before until that game
>>
>>388866381
>>388867101
At least PoE isn't open world
>>
>>388865097
>>388866364
Git gud
>>
>>388866364
are you going to say consumables are a bad game mechanic too
>>
>>388836351
Fuck no its boring as fuck, for a game with such expansive lore it sure has small balls.
>>
>fights don't give xp
>have to fight through endless amounts of slimes and kobolds
>>
>>388868901
yes they do retard
>>
>>388868769

They took the spiritual successor to BG thing too seriously and failed to communicate the significance of gods in the setting, which makes the supposed big reveal feel insignificant.
>>
>>388868550
Depends how they are implemented.
>>
>>388869578
perhaps you could implement some better opinions
>>
>>388869624
So? Just that, a flat insult?
>>
>>388868550

I'd say that consumables are different in a sense that they aren't tied to a character class.
>>
>>388869857
You make no sense. Anything that requires any management triggers you.
>>
>>388866240
They have about the same quality story.
>>
>>388854671
>Like consider how much fucking latitude you're given as a third in command under Tunon. You're basically a free-agent so long as you're acting within the law. You basically amass an accidental resistance movement right under Kyros' nose.
And yet everyone treats you like a messenger boy

>>388844629
>More interesting choices to make
It's extremely railroaded though with just a few choices that actually change anything.
>>
>>388870667
You're crazy
>>
>>388870667
fuck you
>>
>>388870667
We both know that's not true
>>
>>388870676
Yep, the color of the enemies changes, that's about it
>>
>>388860894
>Theres the gay wizard thats getting bullied by nazies. If you ignore it, you still get pulled into it
Holy fuck I was so annoyed by this
>We're gonna kick this guy's ass, you got a problem with this?
Uhhhh no I don't really care
>Fuck you we'll kill you next!!!
>>
>>388869283
I love how all the companions flipped their shit and how they make your character cry that the gods are fake. Jesus Christ.
>>
>>388873412
That was such a retarded way to force a companion on you.
>>
>>388836351
rolling an all melee party before I put it down for good,
>>
>>388838556
cipher will die a LOT in the early game if you go melee, but defense becomes trivial past 6+ levels. Pally also a great choice for faith and conviction.
>>
>>388874107
Wouldn't you do the same in their position? Seems realistic to me.
>>
>>388871475
>>388871737
>>388872459
I've made the claim that Pillars and DivOS have about the same quality story, though Pillars does much more to flesh out its party members.
They have comparable worlds and the actual journey of the protagonists isn't incomparable.
The core difference in story and theming is that DivOS is a bit more of a typical Chosen One archtype where Pillars takes a slightly more atheistic approach to its deities' natures.
>>
>>388875094
>Wouldn't you do the same in their position?
Yes... I think so. It was a good idea, but poor and shitty execution.
>>
why is aloth such a fag
>>
>>388875094
Nope, cause souls are reincarnated and I'd be immortal basically
>>
>>388849774
2D resolves all of the problems 3D games have with cameras, but that doesn't mean all 3D games should become 2D. It resolves the problem by simplifying the entire system.
>>
Are direct damage spells supposed to feel so weak on potd?
>>
>>388875763
>souls are reincarnated and I'd be immortal basically
>I'd be immortal
You wouldn't be tho.
>>
>>388875094
It's hard to take a revelation seriously when it goes like this:

>so Iovara, what are you doing here anyway?
>my sould had been imprisoned by the gods
>the gods who don't exist?
>it's complicated

And before you tell me that they are not "real" gods, well who the fuck cares? As far as the mythology told by the game goes they could have come from anywhere, their origin is literally not mentioned anywhere. Not a single fucking creation myth of how they made Eora or a tale about the birth of the gods, the implications that this revelation is supposed to bring are based on absolutely fucking nothing. And because of this the reactions come across as pathetic melodrama over nothing.

It takes outstanding incompetence to fuck up such a basic twist so spectacularly.
>>
>>388836351

I was a little slow to warm to it, mostly because it was competing with the nostalgia factor of Baldurs Gate, and also because PoE is very patient about gradually building the plot and world. But once I got fully into the game I was hooked. Doing things slowly gave them a lot of freedom to do a proper job of storytelling and not rely on gimmicks.

I'd say it's about on par with Baldurs Gate. Tons of content too. Not quite nature of a man tier, but just shy of it. Looking forward to their next game.
>>
>>388875327
Also, Divinity: Original Sin's writing is terrible and doesn't take itself seriously at all, coming across as the RPG equivalent of Borderlands.
>>
>>388875763
They split and eventually are grinded to dust.
>>
>>388836351

it's not though.

god, maybe I'll pirate Deadfire one of these days just to see what you faggots are talking about.
>>
>>388877107
That's fair but I would hardly say PoE is much better in terms of dialogue.
>>
How's the console version?
>>
>>388878125
It's not masterful, but compared to Original Sin, it's Tolstoy.
>>
>>388879840
Hardly. It takes itself seriously, but the quality of it? Just as shit. Any half-decent editor would have a field day with it.
>>
>>388880596

The quality is fine. It flows well and if there were any errors, I didn't notice them.
>>
>>388880596
Hyperbole
>>
>>388881059
It is an unedited first draft, and it shows. What it needs most is cutting an entire third of it. And after that maybe they could sit down and finally make up their fucking mind about the difference between watchers and ciphers.
>>
>>388840704
listen, i love arcanum but 90% of poe's narrative was basically world building. so wtf are you even talking about
>>
>>388881796
He is talking about it being so boring that all of that world building did nothing for him.
>>
>>388839719
laughed at this post and the faggot behind it
>>
>>388881513
Even as an unedited first draft, it's a million times better than Divinity
>>
File: yeah ok.jpg (15KB, 342x345px) Image search: [Google]
yeah ok.jpg
15KB, 342x345px
>>388876341
>Who cares if the gods are your progenitors or not
Babby's first dabble into philosophy
>>
>>388864837

For that idea to work the game should not include so many throwaway enemies blocking your path and so little noncombat ways to deal with them.
>>
>>388883835
The game never even briefly suggested they were, except for godlikes.
>>
>>388884227
Plenty of the lore suggests it, and it's implied in dialogue.
>>
so /v/...

Dozens or Templars?
>>
>>388865009
Halp
>>
>>388884529
Templars, all day every day

>>388884710
A pike/spear priest is the smart choice, I approve.
>>
>>388875638
I want to fuck iselmyr and have her let aloth take over midway through
>>
PoE is good if you ignore the shits that sawyer did
T(r)ranny was sawyer's and Obsidian wet dream after Avellone left
>>
>>388884475
I would say the burden of proof is on you since beyond dumping the text of the entire game as well as the guidebook there is nothing I can do to prove that something doesn't exist, but to fucking hell with it, I couldn't care less so you don't have to bother if you are not in the mood. If you are though, knock yourself out.
>>
PoE's writing is really cringy.
>>
What about the DLC for PoE? I've heard its better than the base game. Also, When should one start the DLC?
>>
>>388886530
When you're in Act 2 (Around level 8/9) is when you should start. It's pretty comfy and very good, if you enjoyed the main content too.
>>
>>388885608
Sawyer had nothing to do with Tyranny. Nice fanfic, though.
>>
>>388888043
He was working on PoE 1 and 2 while the Z-Team was working on Tyranny
>>
Did the Paladins in the first game have an ability based on their guild? I'm asking because Sawyer is bragging on Instagram about a Goldpact Paladin exclusive ability that turns you into a goldman
Wonder what the Bleak Walker ability is
>>
File: Yami_Yami_no_Mi_in_Use.png (824KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Yami_Yami_no_Mi_in_Use.png
824KB, 1280x720px
>>388890063
psht nothing personell
>>
>>388890063
they have unique talents
https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Paladin#Talents
>>
>>388886530

I started white march 1 at level 7 and white march 2 at level 9. I highly recommend it. Also best sound track in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=varddUp9UEA
Thread posts: 197
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.