[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

which one is better

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 379
Thread images: 45

File: hl.png (613KB, 605x428px) Image search: [Google]
hl.png
613KB, 605x428px
which one is better
>>
The original.
>>
hl1's purer gameplay, speed, and less cutscenes make it still feel unique today. hl2 is great but everything it pioneered and was revolutionary for back in 2004 has been iterated on and improved, leading to hl2 feeling stale.
>>
HL2 is a walking simulator compared to the original.
>>
I never played hl1 so Im gonna say hl2.
>>
>>388832564
HL2 for its story and lore.
>>
>>388832564
1 is still fantastic all these years later, 2 was only great back when it released
>>
>>388832564
the first one. but i love both.
>>
>>388832840
>Has been iterated on and improved
Name one thing. I haven't played a single player fps made after hl2 that I found better, except maybe Crysis but that's entirely because of the physics based interaction and massive levels. Nothing I've seen has since improved in hl2 that I can think of
>>
>>388832564
Half-Life 2 for level design & variety, story/lore and characters.

Half-Life 1 for enemies & weapon variety.
>>
Half-Life is the better game.
Half-Life 2 is the better artpiece.
>>
>>388832564
Neither. I didn't like either one.
>>
>>388833278
Just out of curiosity how old are you?
>>
Played both during their release year, HL1 was better.
>>
>>388833309
>>
>>388833309
What a profoundly immature question to ask.
>>
File: 1444368269857.jpg (45KB, 352x395px) Image search: [Google]
1444368269857.jpg
45KB, 352x395px
>>388833161
>Half-Life 2 for level design & variety, story/lore and characters.
>>
>>388833309
Age has nothing to do with it. I skipped playing hl1 games back when they came out cause I was more into RTS. You have to be in the mindset to play FPS and turn off your brain or you won't enjoy it.
>>
>>388832564
non.
>>
>>388832564
HL1 had:
>indescribably better level design
>better+more weapons
>more diverse enemies
>better movement
>the same amount of scripted events, but much less heavily scripted
>no Alyx Vance
so yeah
>>
>>388833309
Where did this mentality of you had to have been there at the time to enjoy it? If the game is actually a classic, then it should have aged fine and still be playable now like Super Mario World or Castlevania SotN
>>
Half Life is a better game. It's longer, the puzzles are more difficult, the guns are crazier, there are bosses, it's actually pretty fucking scary at times.

Half Life 2 is more innovative. The technology behind the gravity gun, the havok physics, the facial animations were all groundbreaking tech. But it's a much shorter, much easier game, and you don't have that oppressive sense of isolation, claustrophobia, and terror that the first game had.
>>
File: CwRLqjdWIAAJbg_.jpg (80KB, 1158x1038px) Image search: [Google]
CwRLqjdWIAAJbg_.jpg
80KB, 1158x1038px
>>388833161
>Half-Life 2 for level design & variety, story/lore and characters.
>>
Half Life 2 is a good game but a bad Half Life game.
>>
>>388833562
>It's longer
It's not
>Puzzles are more difficult
True
>Guns are crazier
Hl2 has gravity gun, I'd say that makes up for lack of alien weapons

Hl2 also has far more gameplay variety and a faster pacing in level design. Hl1 has too many dull levels imo even if it's highest highs definitely outweigh hl2
>>
HL2 has the atmosphere, art direction and other buzzwords not even the best walking simulators have been able to accomplish while having actual gameplay to back it up, i like it for that reason alone

HL1 is a fun romp but i rarely feel the need to revisit it
>>
>>388832564
hl1 far exceeds hl2, mostly due to weapon, enemy, and environment variety
>>
>>388833779
Yeah I saw that video too.
>>
>>388833781
>Hl2 has gravity gun, I'd say that makes up for lack of alien weapons

It doesn't. The gravity gun isn't really that fun or interesting at all.
>>
>>388833901
what video?
>>
File: 1503417623616.jpg (149KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1503417623616.jpg
149KB, 900x900px
>>388833917
>he never played hl2 back in the day
>>
HL2 has a lot of filler, whereas HL1 is all killer.

But if we also count EP1 and 2 and pretend that base game is about 3 hours shorter, I'd probably say I prefer HL2.
>>
>>388833556
Hl2 is a great game to play today. However you cant appreciate it the same way if you played it 10 years later at age 23 when your mentality of what makes a good video game is solidified.
>>
>>388833779
Pretty much. The common theme of HL1 was being in constant danger. Even in opposing force if you got out of the crawl space you were surrounded by soldiers or had risk death from platforming.

Too much of HL2 is vehicles where none of this is experienced.
>>
File: atina.jpg (97KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
atina.jpg
97KB, 800x600px
>>388832564
HL2 has excellent pacing and outstanding level/encounter design.
>>
>>388833367
Nah I've noticed that it's mostly people in the 23-30 age range who idolize the original HL(me included).
People under 23 will almost always have terrible taste in FPS games, growing up on shit like Call of Duty and Gears of War, and being unable or unwilling to play any game older than Far Cry.
People over 30 MAY idolize Half Life, but there's also a likelihood that they would resent the series for shifting the FPS genre from Doom/Dook/Quake/Blood scene to the cinematic corridor shooter that almost every FPS has been since HL2(though the open world shooter with RPG elements that we have today is much worse, in my eyes).
>>
>>388832564
The original had the Egon.

''Nuff said.
>>
>>388832564
HL2.
>>
>>388833368
I agree with all but characters.
HL1 didn't have much in the way of characters seeing pretty much everbody you meet is generic security guards and scientists.
>>
hl1, the black mesa research facility is just such a cool setting.
>>
>>388834018
Most of the games I think are the best came out in the 90s or early/mid 2000s, and I enjoyed them long after they came out.
>>
>>388832564
I like the first one better because it doesnt suck your dick to the point of feeling patronising.
>>
If anything, HL1 had too many weapons. A bunch of them got dumped on you in the last 20% of the game and they never really got proper use.
>>
File: GmanAfghan.png (2MB, 1807x808px) Image search: [Google]
GmanAfghan.png
2MB, 1807x808px
>>388832564
the 1st one was better for nostalgia reasons
>>
>>388834000
I played hl2 on release date. a PS2 game called psi-ops had 15 times better "gravity gun" features than hl2, only a few months later, which is embarrassing.

the gravity gun wasn't interesting at the time *unless you were stupid and didn't know anything about what you were seeing and were actually impressed by it.

How about that? P.S. Doom 3's physics engine is way more advanced the game just doesn't show it well
>>
>>388832564
HL2

no contest
>>
>love HL2 for the Combine aesthetic
>hate Dishonored for the Combine aesthetic

what gives
>>
>>388834000
It was boring then and it's boring now.
>>
>>388834084
Contrarian: The post
>>
>>388834084
I'm 27 and honestly hl1 is difficult to idolize. In the 90s I was too much of a pussy to immerse myself into quake or unreal cause the games were too creepy. hl1 was already a step down in terms of that atmosphere
>>
HL1 is still the best single player shooter of all time
>>
>>388834280
What's contrarian about it?
>>
>>388834084
younger people say the enemies in every single old fps game are "bullet sponges" because they want headshots and push button executions.

I've seen it said over and over on /v/ that the enemies in quake are bullet sponges. lol. literally the best designed classic fps
>>
I prefer 2, that feeling of going on a huge journey with no stops or time-jumps anywhere is amazing. Are there more games that have the same kind of feel?
>>
>>388834084
age-based soothsaying and contrarianism is fucking retarded
people are entitled to their own opinions, which their formulate by many different criteria besides their age
get a grip
>>
>>388834263
dishonored did a tryhard style-over-subtance hack job version
>>
Hl2 is shit. I dont know why you niggers love that piece of shit game.
HL1 is a masterpiece. (Not nostalgia based feelings towards a game)
HL1 was a unique experience, a fps whith a great atmosphere. A lot of different situations and many twists in the story.
HL2 ist a boring linear shooter with horrible boat rides and a gravity gun that wasn't fun at all.
>>
File: 1502455704594.jpg (44KB, 638x629px) Image search: [Google]
1502455704594.jpg
44KB, 638x629px
>>388834263
>>388834495
I actually really loved Dishonored's artstyle in part because it scratched that Combine itch
>>
>>388833562
>>388833781
Half Life 1 had puzzles? I honestly don't remember a single one.
>>
>>388834412
PC shooters/shmups had the bullet sponge design in general, but I don't think it was all that great, the idea is casualized as fuck and when I tried games like DMC I was stupidly lost and unable to get good because all I knew was the dumbed down bullet sponge concept
>>
>>388833917
I completely disagree
>>
>>388832564
Objectively HL1, but somehow I find HL2 more endearing.
>>
>>388834412
Quake is a masterpiece anon.
>dat movement
>dat enemy set
>dat level design
>dat weapon gallery
Nearly perfect game design. Its only design flaw is the duplicity in the nailgun and shotgun weapons.
>>
>>388833562
>the puzzles are more difficult
I gotta say, whether they're hard or not, jumping puzzles are not fun. They were just there because it was a videogame in the 90's and jumping puzzles were just a given back then.

Physics puzzles (while generally pretty straight forward in hl2) are infinitely more fun and interesting and they actually fit into the whole idea of being a rogue physicist.

>>388834084
I think a lot of it does just come down to the graphics. Pretty much every game made after DooM 2 and before Half Life 2 is visually disgusting to look at. Half life 2, Deus ex, Thief, etc, all look completely hideous. It wasn't until the early 2000's that 3d polygon graphics became just about passable
>>
>>388834608
there was the rubicube room in Office Complex
>>
>>388834337
Typical /v/ contrarian circle jerking, everything they played when they were kids is good and everything famous today is bad by default
It's not even an old man yells at sky situation, since people who would say that kind of shit are usually still young themselves
>>388834442
Dungeon siege and the god of war games
Many people don't notice GOW games are one continuous shot
>>388834510
HL1 aged better than HL2
The problem with base HL2 is how long some of the boring parts are
Episode 2 fixes this and it's too bad we'll never get more half life from valve
>>
>>388834015
>On a rail isn't filler
>Residue processing isn't filler
Senpai...
>>
>Like that there is lots of HL threads
>Speculating on Gman and other shit about the series
>Learn stuff I never knew or forgot about
>Feel sad the series will never see it's end

I hate seeing the series that got them where they are now is left abandoned. Fucking Valve.
>>
>>388834624
people who werent deeply into understanding what game engines were doing at the time were impressed

i wasn't. it's not as fun as having the egon, snarks, tripmines and other shit like that. would 10x rather have those
>>
>>388834442
Dark Messiah of Might & Magic is basically half life 2 with swords

There are maybe a handful of timestops (like, 3, maybe) but most of it is a continous journey
>>
>>388834412
I was in the earlier nudoom thread where anons defended the fewer bullet sponge imps of 2016 vs the frail and plentiful imps of 1993
>>
>>388834685
>Typical /v/ contrarian circle jerking, everything they played when they were kids is good and everything famous today is bad by default
You'd have t be a retard to fail to recognize that the FPS genre went to absolute shit after the release of COD:MW.
>>
On their own? Half Life
But if you count Half Life 2 with both the Episodes, then Half Life 2

Episode 2 really gives HL2 that extra action it really needed, White Forest is even better than Surface Tension
>>
>>388834639
>Its only design flaw is the duplicity in the nailgun and shotgun weapons.

you wouldn't think they were duplicitious if you had played threewave ctf, so your only criticism evaporates into the wind

it is the perfect geemu
>>
File: 1504129095895.png (2MB, 1169x1050px) Image search: [Google]
1504129095895.png
2MB, 1169x1050px
It'd honestly say it's one of the rare moments where they are equal. Kind of like Halo CE and 2.
Half life 1 is the more consistently good game, no moments where the game is weak, maybe Xen but that'd be it. But at the same time I never really got "WoW'd by it" most encounters aren't really that different and the game as a very samey feel to it. It's always good but never great. Where as in 2 the game is like a roller coaster. The game goes from "okay to wow this is fucking awesome" every level. Apparent in the highway 17 mission where you are going from one broken house to another in a clunky busted car. And then then you are forced upon a bridge 200 feet over the water suspended by tiny rails that you must walk over whilst soldiers and helicopters shoot at you. Or how inne level you're in a boring canal driving a clunky boat around, and the next you are going through a abandoned town full of zombies and your only weapon is a physics tool. The game is much more of a journey taking you from city, to highway, to a prison back to the city. I'd say 2 is more memorable but harder to replay. 2 also feels more satisfy atleast with the right weaons. Such as the revolver, gravity gun, combine rifle, and shotty. Enemies die quick and there's lots of them, where as in 1 a lot of the enemies are tanky as fuck and although weapons feel good they don't feel strong when shooting enemies that take 3 to 4 shotgun shells to the face. Half life 2 also has a downright perfect atmosphere, soundtrack and art style whilst in 1 the game is very mediocre visually. I mean the graphics are good but the art style it's self is very boring, only colors you see are grey, orange, and brown. Both are some of the finest FPS games of all time, but personally I like 2 more. I just enjoy the amount of variety the game gives you and the gravity gun is one of the greatest weapons in any FPS.

>>388834302
Not when Blood or Quake exist
>>
>>388834838
except hl1 is what ruined it with the cinematic intro bullshit and dialogue, else you'd be playing quake or hexen
>>
>>388834639
only real gripe with quake was how bland it was. Shooting vague brown monsters in vague brown castles with vague brown guns. It was such a step down from DooM which was consistently iconic in every way.
>>
>>388834718
>Snarks
Hl2 had antlions. And both are shit.

Egon is also definitely overrated and I completely think that the gravity gun more than makes up for it
>>
>>388834706
>marc laidlaw doesn't work at valve anymore
>that means valve can't make hl3

durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

do you understand that half-life 3 is literally a 20 to 30 billion dollar payday for valve one day

that's billion. with a B.

half-life 3 is coming out, lol i assure you, at some point in time
>>
>>388834718
I agree
Gravity gun is nothing but Valve showing off their engine
They used some parts of HL2 like a fucking tech demo and it hurt the overall game
>>388834838
There were never that many great FPS games coming out at any point
>>
>>388834941
Hexxen is fucking garbage dude
>>
>>388834969
No because the market changed. Your aging millennials aren't the primary audience anymore but gen z faggots and none of them give a fuck about half life
>>
>>388834945
>only real gripe with quake was how bland it was. Shooting vague brown monsters in vague brown castles with vague brown guns

if you aren't from the 90s it may seem vague to you. if you are from the 90s, combined with NIN it is the perfect expression of white teen angst in the 90s

it is honestly a game that you cannot understand fully if you weren't there. Doom by contrast is just a video game. the design has no affinity for any time period or any shared feeling that people had together as a community. its just sci fi design.

in this way, you will find that quake is much, much, MUCH less "vague" or bland to a lot of people, than doom.

/v/ also overrepresents doom and underrepresents quake, which is the better engine by far with better possibilities for better gameplay, and has better fan support.
>>
>>388834945
>It was such a step down from DooM
You mean shooting big red enemies in red and grey corridors is so much more better? Quake's near perfect gameplay more than makes up for it's samey artstyle. I can't be bothered to sit down and shoot awkward 2d esque sprites in Doom anymore.
>>
>>388834704
you can get through on a rail really fucking quickly unless you're getting lost
>>
>>388835080
9/10 on steam right now, maybe you just have a shit taste
>>
>>388835124
the market did not change, there's never any reduction in demand for high quality goods.
>>
>>388835196
>9/10 on steam right now
Half life 1 is a 10/10 on steam right now yet you said it ruined the FPS genre.
>>
>>388835184
>4 completely different art styles within one game
>"samey"
>>
>>388833781
>Hl2 also has far more gameplay variety and a faster pacing in level design.
Hl2 pacing is shit. You have shitty long ass driving/vehicle sections, and action badly spread out in between cutscene that are poorly distributed. It's still a good game tho, but HL1 is way better

>>388833562
>Half Life 2 is more innovative. The technology behind the gravity gun, the havok physics, the facial animations were all groundbreaking tech.
It wasn't the first time havock was used in a game, it just feel more showcased in hl2 because early every single damn puzzle is physic based. Also id software did probably fire someone after that because in early concept of Doom 3, they had a gravity gun, only to scrap the idea before release, realizing after HL2 it was a mistake and reintroducing it in Doom 3 expansion. Speak about misjudging your product.
>>
>>388835124
No it didn't
Everyone wants more half life except for valve
>>
>>388835201
All the games valve is going to make in the future will have microtransactions, so what kind of half-life game is going to have them? An mmo? A mobile game?
>>
Half Life, that game was so fucking awesome. I used to play the free demo over and over while I saved up mowing lawns and shit to get a Voodoo Banshee
>>
>>388835294
>it can't have a multiplayer mode

ah so you're actually just being stupid on purpose

also, no, they don't. a 60 dollar game doesn't need microtransactions because it is 60 dollars. valve isn't stupid enough to try to force both.

>but
>but i think
I don't care waht you read or think you read or what you think. Logic prevails
>>
>>388835258
because it added a lot of dialogue stops and an extensive intro where you did fuckall, this lead to hl2 being even slower and more exposition oriented

it's not hard to imagine where things went from there anon
>>
>>388832564
I like the levels in HL2 but they're not exactly better. I'm a lot more attached to 2 but that's probably because I've played with the characters and mechanics so much in Garry's Mod. I use fewer of the HL2 weapons and the enemies aren't as fun to fight, but throwing your TV through a window at the cops is something HL2 has that no one game can replicate. I don't really want to put down either of them.

>>388833781
>Hl2 has gravity gun, I'd say that makes up for lack of alien weapons
You can't pet a gravity gun. Spore launcher is cute! Cute!
>>
>>388835406
They forced it in portal 2
>>
>>388835406
Okay so they spend huge amount of work to make an hl singleplayer game that people buy once, play for 15h and then what?
Dont ya think they'll make more money by making a pvp game that people play for 3k hours while spending hundreds or thousands on skins?
>>
>>388833146
>a single player fps made after hl2 that I found better. Nothing I've seen has since improved in hl2 that I can think of
half life 2: episode 1, half life 2: episode 2
>>
>>388835481
no, they tried it on portal 2. critical difference
>>
File: file.png (9KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
9KB, 200x200px
>>388835184
>I can't be bothered to sit down and shoot awkward 2d esque sprites in Doom anymore.
but they're just so cute!
>>
>>388835545
>and then what?

and then you made BILLIONS OF DOLLARS becuase the game SOLD 40 MILLION COPIES

the old model still works, rofl. I now realize i'm speaking to kids who have only ever played microtransaction games and they really think the model of having a premium high quality game can't work anymore
>>
>>388835406
Have you been in cryostasis for the last 5 or so years or what?
> a 60 dollar game doesn't need microtransactions because it is 60 dollars.

Nigger it's been a trend for games to cost 60 dollars and have microtransactions and day 1 dlcs and overpriced preorder editions and whatever other shit they can come up with.
>valve isn't stupid enough to try to force both.
Like they didn't try adding a hat shop to portal 2 right?
>>
>>388833146
Id put maybe RE7 above it
>>
I don't like having to decide which of two things are "better", because that always implies that the other one is bad.
They're both good.
>>
>>388835640
You're a moron
That store was in the full game and it still works to this day
Just because it failed doesn't mean it didn't happen
>>
>>388835710
And lose a billion dollars + more by not focusing your efforts into the existing multiplayer franchises.
>>
File: Cacodemon2016.jpg (81KB, 1080x646px) Image search: [Google]
Cacodemon2016.jpg
81KB, 1080x646px
>>388835672
These things were made even cuter in DOOM. Felt bad whenever I punched them in the eye.
>>
>>388835859
please, call it DooM 4.
it's less confusing that way.
>>
>>388835829
yeah because dota 2 and cs go and tf2 are requriring so much work to keep their huge player bases going, right?

LOL.
>>
>>388835640
Yeah, like when they realized it has failed and removed it from the game. Oh wait, they didn't.
The only thing they've learned is that literally copypasting shop from tf2 doesn't work, won't stop them from """""trying""""" some lootbox shittery or whatever is popular when valve actually gets to release a single player game.
>>
>>388834084
I am bord in 1999 and always loved old school shooters such as HL1, Quake, RtcW :3
>>
HL1 is an excellent, above average, game. HL2 is a milestone in the history of video games. It's on a whole different level.
>>
>>388836124
why would they remove it from the game just because it failed?

create a fallicious condition and then deem that they have not passed it, wow you're a master arguer

people like you are tedious and small. i'm 35 and i've seen literally 3000 of you on 4chan and you just have small little ideas and are stupid and are focused on hating companies. i don't care. nobody cares.
>>
>>388835583
Touche
>>388835768
I lol'd
>>
>>388835793
Yes but it did fail. That is the point.
>>
>>388833309
I am 29 and I never gave a shit about Half Life.
>>
>>388836218
It's exactly the other way around
>>
>>388834084
>mature gamers as myself
*tips properller cap*
>>
>>388836715
Nice job actively clicking on, reading and posting on a Half Life thread
>>
>>388836584
Why does that matter exactly?
You really think they won't try it again?
>>
>>388836792
I explicitly said that older people are more likely to hate Half Life, retard
>>
>>388836827
Reading through all threads on 4chan is my main leisure time activity for 12 years.
>>
>>388836839
Not as a carbon copy of the TF2 model is what he said, since it patently doesn't work in all games.
>>
>>388836916
I didn't read your whole post because tl;dr posts are usually filled with butthurt and I just wanted to make fun of you.
>>
File: gsdg.jpg (146KB, 610x696px) Image search: [Google]
gsdg.jpg
146KB, 610x696px
>>388832564
i used to think it was a lawnmower at the start
>>
>>388836839
>Try something
>It fails
>Guys they will not only implement it again, they'll do it in a way that makes the failed experiment more present and core to the experience
>>
File: Warrant_Officer_Schrodinger.png (1017KB, 1920x1090px) Image search: [Google]
Warrant_Officer_Schrodinger.png
1017KB, 1920x1090px
Opposing Force
>>
>>388834906
>Kind of like Halo CE and 2.
But 2 is infinitely worse than CE. It's a mess of cut content and resulting stopgap unsatisfying scripted events, with completely fucked weapon balancing and garbage new enemies, and it takes the absolute worst parts of CE, the flood levels and the stealth sections, and just makes them longer and even worse. CE and 3 are the only good Halo games.

I also disagree with literally everything else in your post.
>>
>>388834280
Reddit: The post
>>
>>388834120
>HL1 didn't have much in the way of characters seeing pretty much everbody you meet is generic security guards and scientists.
That's the point. You're all trying to survive. Gordon Freeman isn't special, he's just a random scientist in a hazard suit with guns.
>>
>>388837102
>company does jew shit in every single game they release after some point
>it fails once
>THERE IS NO PROOF THEY WILL EVER TRY THIS AGAIN YOU ARE JUST HATING FOR NO REASON

I bet your life is so full of surprises with your unprecedented ability to extrapolate.
>>
>>388837014
Unable to read 4 lines of text? You can still have fun online. Check out Twitter to interact with more people like you!
>>
File: 1444679112844.jpg (23KB, 337x367px) Image search: [Google]
1444679112844.jpg
23KB, 337x367px
>>388832650
>>388832840
>>388833058
>>388833536

>people actually like Half Life 1 more

*dies from falling off magnetic ladder*
>>
>>388837194
ok
>>
>>388837194
Don't you be talking shit about Truth and Reconciliation
>>
File: 1503580345659.jpg (48KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1503580345659.jpg
48KB, 1280x720px
What's best way to play Half Life 1? Should I just play original or use a modded version. Why do people not seem to like Half Life Source?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpCv12q6fFI
>>
>>388837194
Halo 2 campaign is a thousand times better than CE's despite being a mess. High Charity is one of the fightest FPS levels of all time.
>>
>>388834906
the bridge is easily one the best parts of the game
>>
>>388837802
Half Life Source didn't change very much. Unless you have a hardon for Source's water rendering, then you can safely stick with the original one.
No mods are needed, just don't look Opposing Force.
>>
>>388837456
I'll take wonky ladder mechanics over gratuitous physics seesaw "puzzles" anyday.
>>
>>388837427
I have an attention span of I don't have an attention span.
>>
>>388838119
There's only one seesaw puzzle in HL2.
>>
File: summerfag.png (669KB, 793x594px) Image search: [Google]
summerfag.png
669KB, 793x594px
>>388838119
>>388837456
>people dislike invisible water ladders
>people dont like to break their fall touching a ladder
>>
>>388837813
Some of his opinions on various videogames just make me so angry.
>>
>>388837813
>if a sequel isn't 100% exactly the same as the previous game than it's bad
Reminder that this is the same guy that said Serious Sam is bad. His opinion is equivalent to that of a toddlers
>>
>>388832564
1 if it didn't feel like every surface was ice, especially since it has so many platforming bits
>>
>>388837813
stop shilling your video
>>
>>388837456
these were in 2 as well though
>>
File: 1477780916692.jpg (25KB, 666x666px) Image search: [Google]
1477780916692.jpg
25KB, 666x666px
>>388837167
Stop avatarfagging
>>
>>388837802
The movement and some other gameplay things are supposedly slightly different, as would be expected when jumping into a completely new engine

If it's your first time playing, it really doesn't matter.
>>
>>388833948
Forgot the name but there was this one video of a guy ripping HL2 a new asshole for missing most of the things that made HL1 great. Some points:
>HL1 avoided freeman being a silent protagonist being awkward by making every character only spout a single line or making him observe others in another room, HL2 you awkwardly stand around while others talk
>HL1 had normal weapons and alien weapons, why didnt HL2 start with cool alien weapons
>making basic scientist models characters was stupid
>making the security guards one character is stupid
>giving freeman his crowbar back rather than a real melee weapon is retarded
>instead of a consistent variation between shooting and platforming they constantly change things up with new stuff like the gravity gun
>overal it feels like they just shoved in all the HL memes made by fans rather than making a sequel
>>
>>388837813
>thinks Barney saying "I think you dropped this" means he literally salvaged this crowbar from Black Mesa and carried it with him all the time and rants about that.
>the plot pretends the first game didn't even happen
>doesn't know which one glasses scientist guy is Kleiner supposed to be
It's impressive that he managed to play those games as many times as he claims and still miss everything I guess.
>>
>>388838737
>>overal it feels like they just shoved in all the HL memes made by fans rather than making a sequel
It was a sequel though how the fuck are a few jokes about the first game a game ruining experience?
>>
>>388838737
>giving freeman his crowbar back rather than a real melee weapon is retarded
define ''real melee weapon''
also he uses it equally if not more for the removal of wooden barriers, so it's not like some dinky ass knife would have served him better
>>
HL1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2JDto0KSr0
>>
>>388835859
Looks like they have downs and are begging to be put out of their misery.
>>
>>388839182
t.DOOM slayer
>>
DARG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nth_5rynRAs
>>
>>388834906
I don't know man, I love Blood but it doesn't even hold up to other Build engine games, some of the gameplay elements feel half finished (like crouching ruining the game balance) and the level design is fairly uninspired for a good quarter of the game, which is a shame because it does have a lot of great levels but there are just too many temple/cathedral/cave/castle that feel so samey.

I still love Blood but it's definitely flawed compared to something like Duke 3D.
>>
File: 20170829113157_1.jpg (323KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20170829113157_1.jpg
323KB, 1920x1080px
Try to play HL2

>check the chapters
>up to chapter 3 it's just a long walk with a few shooting areas
>also chapter 3 is that corridor boat one I think
>chapter 4 is havenholm then it's ok
>next 3 or 4 chapters are just driving and running over antlions
>finally urban war chapters
>still filled to the brim with filler moments of walking and listening
>finally citadel
>have to sit through hours of monologues

HL1 was so much better.

But I prefer OppFor over both tho
>>
>>388832564
Half Life 1, though 2 had its moments.
>>
>>388838737
That video is full of fucking retarded nitpicks that are so exaggerated that I'm convinced it's a bait at this point.
>making the security guards one character is stupid
Yeah, because they didn't do it back in hl1 era with blue shift.
>overal it feels like they just shoved in all the HL memes made by fans rather than making a sequel
Like in his video he shows all three jokes that characters make about gordon being silent, about beer and mit education paying off and goes something like "and this shit continues nonstop" while in reality that's literally all there is, one opening sequence out of 15 hour game.
And then he says shit like "HL2 pretends HL1 doesn't happen" and I don't even know anymore
I just can't stomach the amount of bullshit that he's trying to pass as analysis and criticism, anyone who unironically uses that video as an argument should be gassed.
>>
>>388838347
Serious Sam IS bad. Just because it's a parody of bad FPS games doesn't mean it's not a bad FPS game itself.
>>
HL1, played both last year and HL2 has its moments but the stupid dialogue rooms showed how badly they knew what they were doing.
>HL1 had a nice story and that without cutscenes, lets make the game have cutscenes but let the player stay in control so we can deny that
>>
>>388839450
The canal chapter was good.
The airboat ride was below average.
Ravenholm was excellent.
Highway 17 was the best part of the whole game, with all the most memorable moments.
Sandtraps was meh but was over quickly, so it's cool.
Nova Prospekt was OK, nothing special. One too many moments where you simply have to set up some turrets and hold your ground for a while.
City 17 was also just kinda OK. Some of the striders got boring.
OpFor was great.
>>
>>388833146
doom 3 was a better half life game than half life 2. seriously hl2 is great the first time you play it but fuck it. even the atmosphere of ravenholm cant save it
>>
>>388832564
As someone who played through both for the first time very recently, HL2 is better. As someone who thinks games don't age and that "good for its time" is a retarded sentiment, HL2 is better.

They would be about equal if the first game didn't completely shit the bed by the end. First person platforming sucks.The final boss was really cool but actually fighting him was tedious and horrible.
>>
>>388834290
unreal is the undisputed king of that era.
>>
>not considering Opposing Force the actual best half life game
>>
>>388833536
>indescribably better level design
no

>better+more weapons
yes

>more diverse enemies
no

>better movement
subjective

>the same amount of scripted events, but much less heavily scripted
yes

>no Alyx Vance
yes
>>
>>388840154
m-muh canon!
>>
>>388832564
The one that you play first.
>>
File: gargantuah.jpg (100KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
gargantuah.jpg
100KB, 800x600px
HL1 had better and more interesting enemies that actually induced PTSD
>>
>>388834084
I'm 21 and my dad is 48. He played both games when they were released, and I played them on the rebound in 2010-2011. I idolize both games for their gameplay, atmosphere and story.
>>
File: 02s.jpg (23KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
02s.jpg
23KB, 640x480px
>play Half-Life 1
>enjoy it
>play through it again
>enjoy it

>play Half-Life 2
>enjoy it
>play through it again
>any possible enjoyment killed by the 20 minute unskippable exposition dialogue sequences that pop up every other chapter that I already sat through once, as well as the vehicle sequences that drag on for practically a whole fucking hour at a time
>>
Half Life 2 was really fucking boring to me. I have forgotten Half Life 1 entirely though.
>>
>>388834412
>>388834639
All this Quake love is nice. Quakes art, level design, movement, and shooting all just feel so right. Played it like 3 years ago after beating Quake 2 for the first time and it became one of my favorite games. Shamblers and Vores are like the scariest enemies in an FPS game.

>>388839892
I prefer HL1 overall more, but HL1's ending does suck and the final boss of HL1 is frustrating and unfun.

Also OpFor is underrated.
>>
>>388840457
why are so many plebs unable to appreciate Highway 17?

What's even worse is when they don't think On A Rail was a thousand times worse.
>>
>>388839612
This
Also the guy is an absolute soy boy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEJ_UQ-Zs9I
>>
File: Randy_Pitchford.jpg (24KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
Randy_Pitchford.jpg
24KB, 400x400px
>>388837456
>Half-Life 1 is so great the only argument against it is that one ladder in Office Complex
>>
>>388840650
The best argument against Half Life is all of Xen/
>>
Half-Life.
HL2 isn't even good.
>>
>>388837456
That's such a minor complaint.
>>
1. No contest. 2 was a glorified physics engine.
>>
What did everything think of Black Mesa?

Anyone interested in seeing if they can actually make Xen fun?
>>
File: 1429479243449.jpg (39KB, 600x722px) Image search: [Google]
1429479243449.jpg
39KB, 600x722px
>>388840564
>multiple branching paths, allowing you to potentially explore places you've never been to before
>nonlinear design lets each playthrough play out a little differently
>can choose whether to use the tram and go faster or walk on the sides of the tracks and have more flexibility when you encounter enemies
>still manages to be shorter than the sequel's vehicle sections

>worse than the completely straight braindead linear paths that make up the muscle car and airboat sections
looks like the only one here with pleb taste is you, friendo
>>
>>388839390
Just being able to jump around and crouch puts it up so much higher than the other build engine games where you're solely running up to enemies and shooting them. You can't dodge at all. The game is also brutally harder than the rest. Art style is superb and ambience is fantastastic
>>
>>388840650
>>388840812

'ladders' is just a shorter version of the overall issue, which is the amount of platforming used on an engine that isn't suited for it at all. Nearly all fps platforming where you can't see your feet is terrible

There's a huge amount of platforming in Half Life that is purely there to break up combat encounters for pacing reasons, not because it's actually good or fun as platforming
>>
>>388833562
>The technology behind the gravity gun, the havok physics, the facial animations

Fluff and gimmickry.
Guns felt worse, AI was worse, pacing was worse, atmosphere was worse.
>>
>>388840928
Highway 17 was full of optional areas with their own unique gimmicks. Did you ever step foot into the abandoned house that was trapped with a bunch of rollermines? It seems to me that you just drove past all the interesting shit rather than exploring.

Airboat section was pretty trash, you're right.
>>
>>388835450
This.
>>
File: 1502513861422.jpg (90KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1502513861422.jpg
90KB, 960x960px
>>388840696
>unothorodox pacebreaking gameplay
>unique map design, the most interesting weapons in the game, a unique setting, and an amazing end game boss fight that blows everything before and after out of the water
>bad
Imagine being such an autist hat you get upset that the setting changes for the last 2 hours of a game.
>>
>>388840237
canon's just a buzzword. it's all fiction
>>
>>388841039
The platforming in Half Life 1 only happened in short bursts and was overall fine

You want to know what actually sucks ass on the Source Engine? Driving.
>>
>>388840457
>20 minute unskippable exposition dialogue sequences
The exaggeration here is fucking crazy. The longest "cutscene" in the whole game is fucking 4 minutes long. Grow up
>>
>>388832564

They are both pretty bland and overrated to be honest. Not shit posting here, I never understood the appeal, even when they first came out respectively.
>>
>>388841107
>unorthodox gameplay
>unique map design
being different doesn't make it good
>>
>>388833562
None of the tech in HL2 was groundbreaking. Real-time physics systems had been used in video games since 1998.
>>
This entire argument boils down to whether or not you like actual gameplay or if you like "cinematic" gameplay.
>>
>>388841214
Nigger I haven't played 2 in like 8 years and I can still remember how fucking boring Black Mesa East was.
>>
>>388840846
>>388841043
I cannot understand people who write off the HL2 physics as some sort of cheap gimmick. Yes, it was novel at the time, but it's legitimately fun to play around with and it makes every encounter in the game so much more dynamic.

>>388841107
The first person platforming straight up sucks.

>>388841548
They are both linear and "cinematic". Don't kid yourself.
>>
>>388841596
Half Life gets most of its cinematics out of the way at the start of the game. Half Life 2's cinematic sequences are longer and more frequent.

They're not *that* long though. This is the board that can't get enough of fucking MGS of all things, the hypocrisy is kind of stunning. I think it's just another case of needing to be contrarian.
>>
>>388839612
I completely agree. That video is one of the most idiotic and retarded things I've ever seen. He make unfounded and factually incorrect arguments against a strawman version of half life 2. It's incredible how poorly thought out the entire thing is from front to back
>>
>>388841596
>They are both "cinematic"
The only time you are ever fed spoon-fed the story and forced to watch minute-long+ scripted sequences is at the very beginning and at the end of Lambda Complex.
>>
>>388841391
Not where those physics systems properly interacted with each other.

As an example, heavy things weighing down leavers, or floating barrels keeping things buoyant.

They had partial systems and faked systems with triggers, but this was the first time individual objects had their own physics properties that interacted correctly with every other object's physics properties.
>>
>>388837567
It's fucking broken. Enemies sometimes start shooting at you from across the map when you're stood still in darkness, then when you're moving in front them shining a light in their face they won't notice you. The game clearly wasn't built with stealth in mind. But at least its stealth sections are short and can easily be done by just running and gunning. Unlike the Arbiter levels in Halo 2 which are tediously long and make stealth madatory.

>>388837854
2 has some great parts for sure, but they're scattered far and few between. Meanwile, CE and 3 are mostly great with the disappointing parts being the exception to the rule.

>>388841039
I agree that te platforming is flawed, but when the game gives you a ridiculously fast quick save and quick load feature it rarely gets frustrating. And I disagree with you saying that it's just there for padding, I think it greatly enhancse the originality and atmosphere of the game. It reinforces the idea that Gordon is just some guy out of his depth, having to crawl and scramble through Black Mesa's pipes and tunnels in order to survive. The fact that you can die so easily while doing it also heightens the tension of the game. I think HL would be a way less memorable game without it.
>>
>>388841874
git gud
>>
>>388841780
I don't completely disagree with you. The parts where you're doing nothing but standing around and talking are the worst parts of both games, and HL2 DOES have more of those.

But to act like each game is fundamentally different as if HL2 having more disposition changes anything about the actual game design is some wild hyperbole.
>>
Real question, how did Black Mesa's faculty get to eastern europe?
>>
Why do people pretend that hl2 has *that* much more cutscenes than hl1? They're both so small that it doesn't matter

If you take out the opening of hl1 and the time you spend in the combine on rails segment in the citadel (which equal each other out imo) them hl1 has like 10 minutes of cutscenes and hl2 has like 20 minutes

Each of these is over 10 hours long. In the long run there are so few moments without gameplay you'd have to have literal adhd for them to significantly impact your experience with the game
>>
>>388832564
1, but both are good.
>>
>>388842198
Your question doesn't make sense. What makes you think Black Mesa is in eastern Europe?
>>
You can all argue about having people talk at you or the stories or the atmosphere or the weapons or the enemies all you want. None of that matters.

Highway 17 and Water Hazard are in Half-Life 2, therefore it is the inferior game. You cannot refute this. If you think Half-Life 2 is better you are just wrong. Plain and simple.

Have a good day, folks.
>>
>>388841874
>Arbiter levels
>Tediously long
>In an argument where he is upholding the game where you run through the same room 30 times and then immediately afterwards go through a different room 40 times
>>
I played both of them recently for the first time and I gotta say I had more fun with the original.
Maybe it's the excessive hype 2 gets that made me have unrealistic expectations but I didn't enjoy myself at all. It feels incredible bland and boring. The physics are so standard nowdays that I didn't even recognize it as a feature. The shooting is alright but it's missing some pace. The "cutscenes" are annoying and by design unskippable, I don't get why they are praised at all. I also didn't really get invested in the story, partly because of the shitty waiting room cutscenes and I also didn't like any of the characters and just didn't care what happened to them. I liked the simple narrative of the first one much more.
I also feel like the level design got way worse but that could be personal preference.
I'm sure back then 2 felt a lot better and more innovative but nowadays is has been copied and improved so much it feels bland in comparison. 1 still feels good because it's such a simple, well designed game that only feels outdated in the graphics department.
>>
>>388834906
I'm sorry but people overrate the hell out of quake

quake multiplayer? godly.
quake single player. it's just running around a bunch of empty levels looking for keys and rubbing your face into walls for secrets.
>>
>>388842426
You can all argue about having people talk at you or the stories or the atmosphere or the weapons or the enemies all you want. None of that matters.

On a Rail and Residue Processing are in Half-Life 1, therefore it is the inferior game. You cannot refute this. If you think Half-Life 1 is better you are just wrong. Plain and simple.

Have a good day, folks.
>>
>>388842393
I think he means basically every single character in the Eastern European setting of HL2 being an ex Black Mesa employee somehow
>>
>>388842476
Yeah, I already said the flood levels are a flaw with CE. You know what has even longer flood levels? Halo 2. You what doesnt even have the excuse of building a horror atmosphere with the flood since it presents them as mindless zombie enemies that come at you in hordes? Halo 2.
>>
>>388842513
>HL2 is bad because every FPS campaign since has copied it in one form or another
>nobody copied HL1
???????
>>
>>388842513
I wish the physics we're standard in games nowadays. Can you name 5 first person shooters with hl2 tier physics made in the 2010s?
>>
Half-Life 2 has way too many segments where you're stuck in a room while an NPC feeds you exposition and you can't skip it or do anything.

Some people prefer this to cutscenes I guess because it's fluid and you never lose control, but it's essentially the same as a cutscene. Except you can't skip it. You just sit in the corner and pick up trash cans while Odessa Cubbage prattles on about a lighthouse.
>>
>>388832564
HL1, no question
>>
>>388842686
>So many
See
>>388842045
>>388842237
>>
File: 1489132573601.jpg (151KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1489132573601.jpg
151KB, 1920x1080px
>>388842426
>seen hundreds of these threads here over the years
>same few people just saying 'I don't like the vehicle segments' as if that's an argument in itself and can't justify or back it up at all
>>
>>388842737
I can't think of any moments in HL1 where you're stuck in a room while people talk, besides the opening sequence and the ending where the scientists opens the Xen portal.
>>
>>388835768
Kek kys
>>
>>388841107
>nihilanth
>good
>>
>>388842513
That's sort of the irony of the situation really.
Half-Life didn't really revolutionise anything, it was just a really good fps game that took everything done before it and crafter it well.

Half-Life 2 meanwhile did revolutionise the fps, but because it was essentially the first of that revolution, many other games improved on it, making it seem less special in hindsight.

Also, if you want to know why people praised HL2's cutscenes, it's because of the character and facial animations. No one had seen a character even half as expressive as Alyx Vance.
It's standard procedure now. Even the fact that it was lip synced was pretty incredible.

Basically, it's the first time that they felt like "real" people, rather than 3D models that moved around with voice clips attached.
>>
>>388842604
Isn't City 17 like, a hub and the Combine's main headquarters?

I'd make sense that anyone with an interest in stopping them would end up there.
>>
>>388832564
HL > EP2 > OP4 > EP1 > HL2 > BS
They're all at least 7/10 though
>>
File: 1500348006533.jpg (55KB, 576x768px) Image search: [Google]
1500348006533.jpg
55KB, 576x768px
Man, what were they thinking with Blue Shift?
>Hey, let's make a second expansion with none of the new things introduced in the previous one.
>It'll be less than 3 hours long but we'll make and "HD" pack to make up for it
>lol the M16 shoots 9mm
>>
>>388832564
If it wasn't for ravenholm HL would be better
>>
>>388832973
I thought it was a driving game.
The graphics were nice compared to the first one, but the first one is way better on gameplay and levels. HL2 feels the same through the whole game.
>>
>>388843406
Am I the only one that hated Ravenholm? I thought it was at odds with the atmosphere of the rest of the game.
goofy horror movie stuck in a depressing war movie
>>
File: HL2 bridge.jpg (56KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
HL2 bridge.jpg
56KB, 700x525px
>>388842426
>Highway 17 is bad
Really sick of this meme.
>>
>>388843589
this
unironically my favorite area probably minus the antlion sandpit stuff
The little burnt out fucked up homes are depressing as hell.
>>
>>388843382
It was originally just a bit of bonus content in the Dreamcast port. It was never meant to be its own thing.
>>
>>388841596
I remember never having a problem with the platforming as a kid.
do people actually suck this bad at basic spatial reasoning?
>>
>>388842198
Maybe Eli and co were chosen to relocate to City 17 sometime after the 7 Hour War.
>>
>>388843906
same with me and I played it as an adult. The only time I was confused was right at the start when I didn't know how to do a long jump and thought it was impossible
>>
File: roboto.jpg (189KB, 1645x1000px) Image search: [Google]
roboto.jpg
189KB, 1645x1000px
>>388832973
>>388834015
>>388834718
>>388835281
>>388838119
>>388840457
>>388840846
>>388841043
>>388842513

>'muh tech demo' argument for Half Life being better than HL2
>complaining about being locked in places in HL2

It's like you guys don't even remember that the first 10 minutes of Half Life is literally being stuck in a box while the game goes 'LOOK AT THIS INSANE SHIT WE DID WITH THE QUAKE ENGINE. THAT ROBOT'S MOVING A FUCKING BOX'
The only difference is that that shit is so normal you don't even recognise it as a tech demo (even though it basically is), whereas with HL2 its still quite obvious
>>
>>388843906
I'm talking about the shit in the final boss fight with the launch pads. It ruins any impact the awesome boss design SHOULD have because it's a bunch of slow and tedious low-risk nonsense. The final boss is the controls.
>>
>>388842809

The scientist in the security booth where you get the shotgun.

When you rescue the scientists in Questionable Ethics and they wait to open the door.

All of Anomalous Materials.
>>
>>388844135
oh yea, but the actual problem with the boss fight is that he teleports you instead of just teleporting in more guys.
>>
>>388844005
The only glaring tech demo moment in either game was the "play fetch" segment with the dog.

Half-Life games are tech demo games done right. If you want a tech demo shooter done wrong, look to DOOM 3.
>>
Black Mesa
>>
>>388843052
>Many other games improved on it
Name one fps that improved on the hl2 formula
>>
>>388834015
>lol you lose everything now
That's filler
>>
>>388834412
>younger people say the enemies in every single old fps game are "bullet sponges"
But they had way less health than they do now.
>>
>>388844764
>Everything good about Bm is in hl1
>Everything bad about it is new
>>
>>388844947
>implying that a mod made by volunteers will have the same issues made by paid developers in a studio.
>>
>>388841039
There's absolutely nothing wrong with the engine in terms of platforming, and having Gordon's feet visible would do nothing to change it one way or another. It's literally just a matter of getting good at the game.
>>
>>388845105
Not an acceptable excuse. You're releasing this to the fucking public, if you want it to get good reception you should do a good job on it.
>>
>>388844764
nah
black mesa's combat is terrible and doesn't feel right
all the npcs apart from zombies and headcrabs feel like they've been sped up

also on a rail and surface tension feel gutted
also still no xen
>>
>>388844821
What are you considering to be the "HL2 formula" before I do?
>>
>>388832564
first one by a mile
>>
>>388843573
Ravenholm is the area that I most dislike in HL2.
But that said, I don't see much of the atmosphere of HL2 as "depressing war movie", I see it as an action flick.
>>
>>388840593
he looks like stephen king's gay son
>>
>>388844192
>The scientist in the security booth where you get the shotgun.
Do you mean the ending of We've Got Hostiles? You don't have to stay and listen to him talk if you don't want to. That scientist isn't needed to open any doors, you can just go.
>>
/v/ will always say HL1 was better due to "muh tech demo" and nostalgia but I always liked HL2 more.
>>
>>388837813

Just lurking through this guy's channel. Why do videogames make him so mad? How the fuck does he always find reasons to dislike something?
>>
>>388846635
Probably spends too much time on this shitty board. I took an extended break from this place and learned that it's okay to enjoy things again, it was nice.
>>
>>388845383
Ok, anything that hl2 does well; physics based interaction (even minimal), environmental storytelling, and progressive and cohesive level design
>>
File: 1494453010190.png (147KB, 432x490px) Image search: [Google]
1494453010190.png
147KB, 432x490px
>>388846635
>He says this as he posts on /v/
>>
>>388846742
>Dude 4chan made me a worse person lmao
Typical weak willed faggot
>>
>>388846742
I watched his Blac/k/ video about how mediocre it is and the only thing it accomplished is that now I want to pick it up.
>>
>>388832564
Why did half-life 8 come out before half-life 2?
>>
>>388847252
/v/ is /v/. How he managed to leak his sourness outside of this walls is beyond me. He sounds so fucking entitled god damn.
>>
>>388832564
>On the rails
Nuff said
>>
File: 1495740799917.png (2MB, 800x1593px) Image search: [Google]
1495740799917.png
2MB, 800x1593px
>>388832564
HL2 Episode Two
>>
>>388847282
When you surround yourself with negativity for like 6 years straight and spend more time discussing your hobby rather than actively engaging with it, yeah, it happens.
>>
>>388832564
The sequel.
>>
>>388847224
Bioshock
FEAR
Crysis
Far Cry 3, 4
Wolfenstein: The New Order
Metro 2033, Last Light
>>
>>388847984
You're supposed to influence your environment, not the other way around
>More time discussing than actively engaging
Sounds like your fault
>>
>>388848451
>Sounds like your fault
Yes.
>>
File: 1024-tree-hl1-am-02[1].jpg (115KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
1024-tree-hl1-am-02[1].jpg
115KB, 1024x576px
Easily HL1 I think.

Given the context of it's times. It was crazy good.

The game also felt a lot more scientific and a lot less sci-fi. The game started almost perfectly normal, and you really did feel like an employee lost in a mega-corporations HQ.

Like those moments where your on a rail and you look down and there just is NO floor. Or The comfy labs, the helicopter floating over the vents, the giant lazors-for-hands things that shredding soldiers in the rail dome.. Or that 3-headed hydra thing that you kill by turning on the big igniter.

The game just felt a lot more cozy, wheras HL2 while very fun was just so out-doorsy. Everytihng was so bright and Southern European looking.

The alien invasion and super-techno theme to it kinda didn't fill in the gap of the comfy labs, and industrial environments that the first had.

It's probably nostalgia but when those glass doors open and you see pic related, it sets up the game so comfy and so well that it actually feels shit for everything to start going wrong. The story paces itself super well like a movie.

Wheras Hl2 lacks in pace, it sorta throws you in and you feel like your playing from the half way point of a movie... the part where it starts to get a tad tedious.
>>
>>388848269
>Bioshock
Good on environmental storytelling, but it had samey environments from beginning to end. Hl2 is practically globe trotting in scale of world design compared to Bioshock
>Fear
Just a better shooting and action game
>Crysis
Better physics, better real world feel meets classic shooter, better open ended level design, yet shits the bed with narrative and only barely matches hl2 in terms of progressive level design and pacing. Also too short. It's my honorary hl3 and one of my favorite games ever. It's the only one in your list that I would accept as an answer
>Far cry 3 and 4
Literal ubishit, I don't even need to take them apart.
>Wolfenstein new order
Great level progression but far, far too many cutscenes in between breaking up the action. No cohesion, no environmental design. Just good action with movie cutscenes directing the action
>Metro
Also really close but they're just atmospheric corridor shooters. Exodus is the first one that really has a chance to actually evolve the genre positively
>>
>>388848734
also all the mods. Wish that kinda shit still existed
>>
>>388848269
>The New Order
The Old Blood is far more comparable

The New Order established the great gameplay but holy shit I wish it would actually let you PLAY more. Dull fetch missions and embarrassing handholding between combat segments really bring the game down.

I hope The New Colossus takes more lessons from The Old Blood than TNO.
>>
>>388842548
>quake single player. it's just running around a bunch of empty levels looking for keys and rubbing your face into walls for secrets.

Have you never played Quake 1? That's not even close to how Q1 works.
>>
>>388849102
I'm the guy who's in the conversation with him, I totally agree with you. I've played the old blood three times through and TNO only once. I'm excited for the newest one a lot.
>>
File: 0034 - 1qfwZyT.jpg (67KB, 709x765px) Image search: [Google]
0034 - 1qfwZyT.jpg
67KB, 709x765px
>>388832564
>BM xen chapters still not out
>>
Which are more delusional : HL3fags or Kojimafags?
>>
>>388849786
Kojima fags, easily. Imagine if valve openly cancelled hl3 and then hl3 fags kept saying the same shit they do now. That's what kojimafags are like
>>
>>388832564
HL2 has better weapons, levels, environments, pacing, enemies, characters and story.
HL1 is a classic for sure but I can't think of one thing it does better than the sequel.
>>
HL2 was quite a letdown honestly. The gravity gun was more of a gimmick than anything else and got old really fast. The atmosphere was also way worse compared to 1. Level design was also shit.
>>
Half-Life 1: Masterpiece ultimate kino.
Half-Life 2: Reddit.
>>
dunno I've never played either
>>
>>388848825
>>388849102
>>388849272
I haven't gotten around to The Old Blood yet, so didn't include it on my list.

I'd say all of my list improved on HL2 is all ways except physics interactions, but that is mainly because developers realised that physics interactions weren't necessarily that fun.

They weren't particularly fun in HL2 either, only impressive for the time.

Your Bioshock criticism isn't particularly fair. You asked about environmental storytelling and cohesiveness, not variety, which I think you are doing a disservice on.
Even more so when you consider every Bioshock environment is far more detailed than any particular HL2 environment which, due to tech limitations of the day looks increasingly more spartan.

Again, FEAR had great enviromental story telling and good level cohesion.

Far Cry 3 and 4, despite the memes are good shooters and have plenty of environmental storytelling elements, and you can't get more cohesive level design than open world.

Wolfenstein: NO: We're not talking about cutscenes though.

Metro: HL2 was a bit of a corridor shooter, though sometimes those corridors were quite wide. It is a story about A to B, mainly after all.
But Metro is justified because of its setting, and again, we weren't talking about if it was a corridor shooter or not.
>>
>>388845370
on a rail and surface tension got an update and were extended on the paid version

also there was some mod for the free version that also extended them (although they're a bit different i think)
>>
>>388850313
>environmental storytelling elements
Why do you keep saying this if you're not going to give any examples?
>>
I enjoyed 2 FAR more. And I still do. I wouldn't want to go back and play 1 but I often return to 2.
>>
>>388850165
So why didd you reply?
>>
>>388847224
>progressive and cohesive level design

what does that even mean
>>
>>388852007
>Progressive
Sense of movement and growth. Environmental transitions are structured in a logical manner and the arc you make from beginning to end gives a sense of satisfaction
>Cohesive
Level transitions are smooth, natural, logical, and immersive.

Come on, use your brain a bit
>>
>>388848734
>the giant lazors-for-hands things that shredding soldiers in the rail dome.. Or that 3-headed hydra thing that you kill by turning on the big igniter.

Did HL2 even have big fuggen monsters?
I remember gas mask dudes, armored gas mask dudes and giant insects, that's it.
>>
>>388832650
fpbp
>>
>>388832564
Original. Blew me fucking sideways with the intro and the amount of work and effort that went in to making it.
>>
>>388832564
HL 1 . Tho HL2 had more potential.

Just check out what they wanted to do with 2, originally and realize: If they could release HL2 back in 1999 or 2000, they would have released it close to the Beta state.

The reason they didn't was their concepts were hard to polish into a quality game using their current (shit) engine (Source).

Seriously. If Valve had a better engine, you could have had something way better : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzlNMcm6hRs&t=6763s

Engine was too shit for it, tho.
>>
>>388839616
You can't be serious
>>
My dad works as gaben's manwhore so I got to play an early alpha of HL3 and that one is my favorite of the 3.
>>
>>388852785
>The reason they didn't was their concepts were hard to polish into a quality game using their current (shit) engine (Source).

It was also due to the fact that the game was leaked and a lot of the game was really dark and valve feared that people would backlash against it.
>>
HL2 could have been a better game if:
>Game testers weren't so retarded that they forced Valve to get rid of game mechanics and weapons.
>Game engine wasn't as shit and restricted and actually allowed for all the lore they wanted to put in back on beta.
>>
>>388852331
Antlion Guards, Striders, Gunships
>>
File: 20170222220849_1.jpg (314KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20170222220849_1.jpg
314KB, 1920x1080px
>>388842426
Replayed HL2 recently and despite not really liking Water Hazard and Highway 17 the first time over I actually really enjoyed them upon replaying.
You can complete the levels fairly quickly if you don't bother looking in all the warehouses/buildings on each of the levels.
I'd say only the last couple of levels in City 17 get a bit tedious when it's a corridor shooter with the rocket launcher.
>>
>>388853879
This. I enjoyed how the air boat controlled and the highway segments actually had some pretty damn fun detours on it.
>>
>>388838737
>instead of a consistent variation between shooting and platforming they constantly change things up with new stuff like the gravity gun

How the fuck is this a bad thing?
>>
>>388856318
Turns out it's really hard to find reasons to hate something that's generally agreed to be fantastic :^)
>>
Should I play Blue Shift and Opposing Force?
>>
>>388856449
Yes.
>>
>>388856449
Play Blue Shift first, just trust me on this one.
>>
>>388856449
Yes, to both.
>>
>>388856449
Opposing Force, yes.
Blue Shift and Decay, no.
>>
File: 1499832396891.png (353KB, 573x437px) Image search: [Google]
1499832396891.png
353KB, 573x437px
>>388856548
I'm playing through Blue Shift now, what makes it so mediocre?
>>
>>388856449
Blue Shit is bleh, play Azure Sheep instead. If it's even possible to play it nowadays. I wonder how many HL mods died because of steam.
>>
File: 9ba.gif (2MB, 383x576px) Image search: [Google]
9ba.gif
2MB, 383x576px
>>388856594
>>388856638
>Blue Shift has better level design than Opposing Force
>IT'S NOT AS GOOD BECAUSE MUH EXTRA WEAPONS
>>
I think both aged remarkably well. HL2 + Episodes are probably still my favourite games of all time.

I remember a project to do HL in the Source engine, did that ever happen?
>>
>>388856318
Exactly, that's what makes hl2 so fucking great
>>
File: Half-Life_Opposing_Force_box.jpg (161KB, 300x361px) Image search: [Google]
Half-Life_Opposing_Force_box.jpg
161KB, 300x361px
>>388832564
Neither
>>
File: 1503247759976.png (585KB, 1868x2762px) Image search: [Google]
1503247759976.png
585KB, 1868x2762px
Dota 2 > half life
>>
>>388834084
good analysis. there seems to be a fine line between the multiplayer fps generation, and a generation of people who actually appreciative single player fps games
>>
>>388832564
The only bad parts of 1 are Xen and the big teleporter platforming section right before Xen
>>
>>388832564
1 for gameplay, 2 for narrative
>>
>>388856984
that's Black Mesa. Been about 80% done for years now, the Xen chapters are due by the end of the year but they've slipped multiple deadlines by now so who the fuck knows
>>
>>388857310
>Xen
I don't fucking blame them.
>>
File: 1365011047410.jpg (57KB, 504x470px) Image search: [Google]
1365011047410.jpg
57KB, 504x470px
>>388857184
>no
>vanilla sex
>>
>>388857310
Thanks. I didn't like Xen that much compared to the rest of the game and I suppose it must be a bitch to upgrade to the new engine but I don't know anything about the technical side of things.
>>
>>388856449
OpFor is fucking amazing, on par if not better that straight Half Life 1.
>>
Episode 2 > Opposing Force = Half Life > Half Life 2 > Episode 1 > Blue Shift
>>
File: image1.jpg (1016KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
image1.jpg
1016KB, 2560x1440px
>>388856984
>I remember a project to do HL in the Source engine, did that ever happen?
It was Black Mesa Source, or later just Black Mesa. They released the majority of the game years ago already. Xen is still unfinished. Supposedly Xen's meant to be released this year, but since their schedule has slipped in the past, it might end up slipping again. The unfinished game can be downloaded for free, but the full game will cost money.
>>
I didn't play either game until 5 years ago, and played 2 first. I liked 1 more.
>>
>>388856897
>no new weapons or enemies and last 5 minutes
>but the level design makes it as good as opposing force
>>
>>388857680
I find it difficult to argue with this. The only one I dislike is Blue Shift, I actually really enjoy Episode 3 especially the bits in the citadel. The ending with the citadel exploding and the advisor pods ejecting is one of my favourite scenes in the series too.
>>
>>388844005
that robot was fucking awesome at the time.
>>
>>388857680
This is pretty good but I'd put Ep1 higher up. And I know we all love Op4 because it's the contrarian's delight but I gotta dock some points for that atrocious fucking last boss fight.
>>
>>388858434
The boss fight in the original was bad too, and the ending sequences in HL2 and Episode 1 were also not great. I'd say the only game in the series with a good ending gameplay sequence is Episode 2.
>>
>>388834495
>alternate universe makes it tryhard
>has exactly equal parts style and substance
>developer love is pouring and oozing from even what few cracks the game has

>hack job
>>
HL1 ducks, just look at the retarded long intro.
>>
>>388834263
I think they kinda held antonov back when he worked at valve, dishonored went absolutely over the top with EVERYTHING IS STRETCHED AND ANGULAR AND ASYMMETRICAL. Like the very first prison cell you're thrown in is like 10 m tall and triangular shaped for some reason.
>>
>>388852785
? source engine was a leading engine at the time of its release

what a bizarre criticism from some 16 year old
>>
Half life has better multiplayer,better mods,better weapons.

Everything else HL2
>>
>>388835410
>blaming great games because other shitty devs completely failed to understand the point of HL-style "exposition" and opted instead to just turn everything into cutscenes and muh cinematique and press F to watch a 10 second "cool super stealth break-someone's-spine!" animation instead
>>
File: 1438368954150.gif (97KB, 398x303px) Image search: [Google]
1438368954150.gif
97KB, 398x303px
>>388832564
I can understand that people like the first game for its solid controls, but it's just so repetitive to me. It doesn't help that 90% of the game's levels look the same.
I know both games are suppose to be action shooter games, but I like the second game more because of its puzzle sections and more varied enviroments.
maybe I like the games for the wrong reasons.
>>
File: 56qe154w146713.jpg (25KB, 300x299px) Image search: [Google]
56qe154w146713.jpg
25KB, 300x299px
>>388856897
>>Blue Shift has better level design than Opposing Force
>>
>>388860383
>but it's just so repetitive to me
AND 2 ISNT?
IT HAS LIKE 3 FUCKING ENEMIES
>>
>>388861152
I literally just said that I liked the games for the puzzles and environments more than the action shooting sections.
Either way it's either doing "x repetitive action in a repetitive environment" or "x repetitive action in a varied environment"
>>
File: srsly nigga.png (273KB, 359x409px) Image search: [Google]
srsly nigga.png
273KB, 359x409px
>>388841107
>Nihilanth bleeds when you shoot it
>but you're supposed to shoot the crystals instead
>instead of giving you time to figure this out it keeps teleporting you to godawful platforming segments
>>
>>388860383
I don't think HL1 is repetitive at all. It doesn't have vehicle sections unless you count On A Rail that would be drastically different from the core gameplay, but they mix up the environments plenty, within the limitations of the engine.

Blast Pit and Power Up are focused around big setpieces, On A Rail is a massive stretch of long partially flooded underground railways, Residue Processing is almost all conveyor belt mazes and dodging crushers and toxic pools, Questionable Ethics is a collection of fun setpieces and Surface Tension and all of Xen are obviously different from everything else. I'm pretty sure there was even a token effort to make the offices look different from the labs you start in but I can't remember the layouts very well right now.

It's obviously an advantage for HL2 that its engine can handle wide open outdoor environments better, but imo the run-down cityscapes aren't any less repetitive than the cement corridors of HL1.
>>
>>388832564
Half Life 1 is the better classic videogame, Everything about it is refined and excellent.

Half Life 2 is much more experimental, it tries to be so many different things each chapter as well as go in new directions in the story with varying degrees of success. As a result I find it more respectable.
>>
>>388860383
>HL2 is more varied
>research facility
>rail system
>canyon cliff
>alien world
>less varied than HL2
>>
>>388832564
Ok. I've never played half life before.
Is it half life, half life 2 episode 2, and then that's it?
cause then is it supposed to be half life episode 1, etc.
...Fucking hate this game before I even start
And no, it's not bait. The titles fucking confuse me because on OP's image I'm seeing half life 2 on there. Is half life episode 1, etc
>>
>>388863920
It's (without the expansions)
>Half-Life
>Half-Life 2
>Half-Life 2: Episode 1
>Half-Life 2: Episode 2
>>
its time to chooosee
>>
>>388864159
THANK YOU !
The titles were so confusing. What are the expansions and then what order is it instead?
Sorry for asking what must be really dumb questions in your perspective.
Like I do want to try it since everyone on here keeps making it sound like it's a godlike game
>>
>>388863831
>eastern european town, before and after destruction
>urban canal and tunnel system
>spooky abandoned mining town
>short section inside an actual mine
>coastal road
>bunker beach with cliffside section
>high security prison, outside and indoor sections
>depot converted into combine building
>the citadel
>>
>>388832564
Both are shit, just like every other game that Valve has made.
>>
>>388863920
You are straight retarded.
>>
>>388864615
not same anon but
there are two expansions for HL1, Blue Shift and Opposing Force. Both are skippable but OpFor is regularly recommended.
If you're playing Half Life 1 for the first time I recommend waiting for Black Mesa to finish development. It's already 80% there, just missing Xen/Act 3.
>>
Holy shit, the opinions in this thread are fucking retarded.

Did it ever occur to you that Half Life 1 had a much better atmosphere? "HURR DURR MUH ORWELLIAN CITY 17" is the most retarded plot I have ever fucking heard of in my entire life, and I've played some shitty games. Half Life 1 is a horror game, everything goes south the moment you push that mining cart into the beam. The zombies resemble something out of John Carpenter's the Thing, scientists are dragged into holes in the wall, then all of a sudden there's a government cover-up, and you're scared shitless because now it's not about escape, it's about survival.
>>
>>388864615
>>388863920
The two expansions to Half-Life are Opposing Force and Blue Shift. They take place at the same time in roughly the same setting, but from a different character's point of view, and their canon status is ambiguous because they were made by someone else. Opposing Force at least is still very good, so play it if you enjoyed Half-Life and want more of the same.

HL2 is a direct sequel to where HL1 ends off. The two episodes are direct sequels to where HL2 ends off, so play those in order of release.

Oh, and there are different versions of HL1 available. Ignore all remakes and Source ports, just go for the original version that's on Steam.
>>
>>388865253
People hate Blue Shift?
>>
>>388864861
I'm sure I could stretch HL1 chapters to pad out a list like that too
>>
>>388864861
>shitty looking garbage fire with low resolution textures
Thanks for reminding me how low-res HL2 looks
>>
>>388865428
It's short and unremarkable so it took a lot of reviewer flak on release for not being OpFor 2, so people who haven't played it or haven't played it since launch just assume it's irredeemably terrible instead of just a bit stumpy.
>>
>>388863920
just play them in release order
hl1
blue shift
opposing force
decay
hl2
hl2 ep1
hl2 ep2
>>
>>388865428
It's like 2 minutes long
>>
>>388865428
Blue Shift doesn't really do anything new; no new enemies, no new weapons, still the same setting. It's like a tiny level-pack to attach to the side of Half-Life 1.

If you can get it bundled with HL1 then no reason to hate it, but compared to Opposing Force and having been released after it it's very underwhelming.
>>
File: 1500836335167.png (136KB, 466x486px) Image search: [Google]
1500836335167.png
136KB, 466x486px
>>388839182
>>
>>388839182
more like cachromosomedemon
>>
>>388866021
It was just a mission pack salvaged from the corpse of the Dreamcast port.
>>
>>388865253
>>388865107
Thank you SO MUCH
I honestly do want to get into half life but was just so confused when I first saw it a few years ago I just lost interest. But make a lot more sense order wise. Will definitely give it a go sometime tomorrow.
Again, thank you
>>
>>388832564
I like the Die Hard elements of one normal man being stuck inside one place. So the first, but the second has a better opening.
>>
This video video still sums up HL1 pretty well.

And yes, Shephard's arrival is right on schedule because he only wakes up in day 2
>>
>>388868123

Fug forgot link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Iu4GXUHfU0&
>>
>>388832564
hl1 because muh childhood memories
>>
>>388833309

Just saying, I first played Half Life when I was like 9 and loved it, played through a portion of it on PC and ended up beating it on PS2. Then played through the the second one after months of being hyped thanks to the game informer issue talking about it around the release date in 2004 on a 5500gt and loved the shit out of it.

Also the demo was tight too with the ravensholm section. I'm 23 and still love it but this just goes to show that age shouldn't matter, I was literally in 4th grade when Half Life 2 released / I beat it.
Thread posts: 379
Thread images: 45

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.