[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did you feel about Doom 64?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

File: Doom_64-box-cover.jpg (48KB, 640x440px) Image search: [Google]
Doom_64-box-cover.jpg
48KB, 640x440px
So was doom 64 supposed to just be a port of doom that they just said "fuck it, lets do something do something new", or was it supposed to be a real doom 3. At the time playstation had a doom port, but seeing that the N64 had their doom be something completely different why did they do it, and better yet how did everyone feel about it?
>>
>>388804920
Personally I thought it was better than 1 or 2, took the game in a neat horror direction. Could have taken the step up and given us fewer weapons and ammo, but it is a solid 64 game that I play every now and then.
>>
>was it supposed to be a real doom 3
Doom 2 itself technically was more of an expansion pack than an actual sequel. Doom 64 is the real Doom 2.
>>
I always liked it.
I was a Nintenkid originally, with some friends with PCs, so I did get to play OG DooM in its original form before N64 even rolled.

I was first hyped to get to play the badass granddaddy of all shooters on my Nintendo 64, but launching the game, I quickly realized that it was a brand new game. A much darker and atmospheric take on Doom, with a hint of Quake in the mix.

AFAIK, Doom 64 was always going to be a brand new title, and story-wise it IS the "real Doom3", taking place soon after Doom 2's story. In my opinion, they did the right choice, and D64 is still one of my favorite games in the series, and the end of truly GOOD Doom-games in history.
>>
>>388804920
it's cool
>>
File: 350.jpg (23KB, 350x256px) Image search: [Google]
350.jpg
23KB, 350x256px
It's great. Why were DOS ports/inspired games on the n64 so damn original and quality in their own right?
>>
I'm a little biased because Doom 64 was my first Doom game but I prefer the horror and seriousness. Doom 1 is goofy as fuck.
>>
File: latest.jpg (65KB, 640x439px) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
65KB, 640x439px
>>388807142
>Splitscreen competitive RTS
The absolute fucking madmen.
>>
>>388807142
Because they were made by competent teams that wanted to utilize the new platform to its finest, being well aware that not all fancy bells and whistles would not run on the machine or fit on the cartridge, but still wanted to provide NEW content to those not playing said games for the first time.
>>
Little reminder here. Doom 3 is a quality game, just not the doom anyone wanted.
>>
>>388804920
>That fucking intro video
Nothing has gotten me as hype to play the game. Fuck i'll just post it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuOqUAyup6M
>>
>>388807142
Duke 64 would have been a masterpiece if there was in-game music.

The title screen theme...holy fuck
>>
>>388804920
Wasn't this made by a completely different company than the first 2? Anyways... I like it. It was a lot of fun.
>>
>>388804920
It was supposed to be Doom 64. It was never supposed to be anything else.
>>
>>388807769
>Doom 3 is a quality game
Quality graphics, shit game. The guns sound weak, the enemies are unresponsive, the levels are cramped, the pda reading mechanic is shit, and it lacks any survival or inventory management mechanic even though it tries to present itself as a survival horror. It's just a broken SS2 ripoff made by faggots who don't understand how system shock works. Slightly more action oriented System Shock 1 is how Doom 3 should've been, it had inventory management, open ended exploration, and better horror.
>>
>>388808485
yes. Same applies to practically all console-ports and -remakes of the era.
>>
File: 1499404584113.jpg (33KB, 400x436px) Image search: [Google]
1499404584113.jpg
33KB, 400x436px
Coming off of Doom 1, 2, TNT, and Plutonium on UV, Doom 64 felt pretty easy on Watch Me Die!. But the game was otherwise a great sequel to the previous three titles. To me it is Doom 3.
>>
It's really amazing how far console FPS games have come. I remember when Doom for the SNES came out, laughing at who the fuck would buy that. The N64 did a much better job competing with modern PCs, but the controller still left so much to be desired. Then it kept happening again and again with PS2, PS3, and cut to 2017 and console FPS games are a billion dollar industry.

Sometimes reality defies common sense
>>
I fucking love Doom 64. It's the GOAT Doom game.

>best soundtrack
>best atmosphere
>same gameplay as regular Doom 1 + 2 on PC with Doom 64 EX
>great visuals for an old Doom game

Literally the perfect Doom. Thread theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2MWISK-apQ
>>
>>388808996
>The N64 did a much better job competing with modern PCs, but the controller still left so much to be desired.
The controller is pretty well suited for FPS games actually. Use the left D-pad for movement, the analog for aiming, and the Z and L buttons for shooting and aiming. A and B buttons can be useful for switching between weapons. Goldeneye and a bunch of other games have this controller scheme. I hate how modern N64 controllers put the analog in the left instead of the middle, they don't understand how N64 fps games work.
>>
File: doom-1.jpg (34KB, 620x465px) Image search: [Google]
doom-1.jpg
34KB, 620x465px
>those PS1 shitters that got stuck with a shit port and loading times.
>>
64 > 1 > 2016 > Quake > 2 = Quake 2 > 3
>>
>>388804920
Honestly not a bad game, since they upped the horror direction for the game. The levels aren't really the best, the gun models are kind of bad, and the enemies are sort of trashy looking but it's solid as shit. It felt like a precursor to where Doom 3 would go in terms of horror elements, and it's always worth playing through at least once to experience it.
>>
It's fun as fuck

[my favorite doom]
>>
>>388809826

Quake 2 is underrated, especially it's expansion packs, Ground Zero most of all.
>>
>>388809826
1 = 2 > 64 > Final > 3 > D44M
>>
>>388809968
1 > 64 > Final > D44M > 2 >>>> 3
>>
>>388804920
It was just supposed to be a console made Doom game. I recently replayed it on the PC source port and the easier difficulty really shows when using a mouse, it also never comes near the enemy density found in Doom 1/2.

>or was it supposed to be a real doom 3
As mentioned I doubt that was the original intention but at this point it has basically filled that. It's been pretty much confirmed that Doom 4 takes place after Doom 64 and you are playing the same marine from Doom 64. Doom 3 is a seperate canon.
>>
>>388808448
Yeah lack of music would really take away from it, the game also had heavy censorship from Nintendo as well.
>>
>>388804920
Fucking sucks on a 64 controller of course. With kb+m it's alright though. Better than 3 and 4 at least.
>>
>>388804920

I really liked the kind of music Doom 1 and 2 used but I did appreciate the style of music they made for this.

Seeing as how graphics had progressed, I think this was ID's first attempt to make the series into what they really wanted it to be, aka Doom 3.
>>
>>388807964

I really wish Doom 3 had borrowed from this
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.