[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What was Everquest like?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

File: firionavie_product_001.jpg (220KB, 800x1275px) Image search: [Google]
firionavie_product_001.jpg
220KB, 800x1275px
What was Everquest like?
>>
>>388796728

modern korean grindan mmos are about half of what everquest was
>>
Like World of Warcraft.
>>
File: 1501368581304.png (106KB, 170x383px) Image search: [Google]
1501368581304.png
106KB, 170x383px
>>388796728
>was

Nigga, that shit is still going it has 23 expansions. One dropped last year, and I'm assuming another will drop this year.

But it was great. It offered a sense of unknown and exploration, that modern handholders didn't.

However, it was also very tedious and unoptimized.

Necro is best class
>>
It was fucking brutal. Each death drained XP and put you at risk of never getting your equipment back. Seriously, look up "corpse run". If you grew up on WoW, EQ looks absolutely barbaric.

But the community was amazing. It was very social in a way modern MMOs can't capture. Turns out hardship brings folks together.
>>
>>388796728
a ranger walks into a bar, loading please wait...
>>
Literal magic at the time... the raw suffering endured by all fostered a great community. I had the blind dumb luck to end up central in four different GM run server events and it was just unmatched in anything ever since.

Game may have been a trainwreck in terms of.... christ almost everything. But for the time and the place it was truly great.
>>
I remember the first time installing and playing it and getting hopelessly lost in Freeport as a blind, incompetant human.

Now I look back and wonder what black hole of stupid I was existing in because Freeport is like 11 buildings inside of five boxes.

I was lost for over a fucking hour before I managed to escape.
>>
File: 1408211711694.jpg (40KB, 600x451px) Image search: [Google]
1408211711694.jpg
40KB, 600x451px
>>388796728
>Raids that took 60 people hours to finish where maybe 4 of you got loot. On like a multiple day long respawn timer. Server wide.
>Dungeons where you just parked your group in a corner and killed like 10 monsters every 30 minutes because the zones were so packed
>If some fuckstick ran by you with aggro'd shit on him it would come after you and bring half the zone with it when he died/escaped
>When you die you respawn probably half the world away. Naked.

Everquest literally ate my teenage years but fuck did I have fun being in top tier raid guilds on my server. Plus it was FILLED to the brim with desperate, single women who loved some cybersex/ERP with my then 14 year old self. I miss those old whores.
>>
Well imagine a girl is sucking your dick... oh wait. I guess you don't have a reference for that.
>>
>>388796728
Crafting arrows was RNG
>>
>>388799052
>women
>>
>>388797126
I'm sure you meant to say Necro is hideously OP
>>
File: 1487414037488.png (418KB, 448x486px) Image search: [Google]
1487414037488.png
418KB, 448x486px
>clerics always burn the bread
>female side of my family enjoys burnt bread
>>
i remember training sg's on people in oasis
>>
>>388796728
Most servers were nice and organized even the PvP ones were respectful. This was a time before edgelord kids invaded the larping neckbeard hobby, so you could really get shit done without someone trying to be XD so funnay. Tigole was a cunt on the forums though, superiority was really the only major problem.
>>
>>388796728
The original Dark Souls.

Half the game was assisting your friends recover their corpse. If you died you lost the exp.
>>
>>388796728

Faydwer will always be the most comfy starting vidya location. Wizard most comfy class, especially at higher levels.
>>
>>388796728

Looking back, a big part of what made it so special, (especially in the vanilla-kunark era) was that it was an mmo with fuckloads of content before the internet really took off. You couldn't rely on detailed guides, hand-holding tutorials, walkthroughs etc. Most of what you learned came from more experienced players showing you the ropes, more often that not while sitting around a fire waiting for a raid group to form, waiting for a boss with good loot to respawn, or through party chat as you all look for each others' corpses.

It made the sense of scale and wonder unrivalled and the community was 10/10.
>>
Server community was extremely important. There was no cross server stuff. If you were notorious for being a fuck up on your server, you usually got black listed and couldn't get groups/raids.
>>
>>388799052
>Plus it was FILLED to the brim with desperate, single women who loved some cybersex/ERP with my then 14 year old self. I miss those old whores.
was fun. now days that'd be illegal.
>>
>mfw as a kid I deeply wanted to play mmos
>hacked the demo CD Rom with EQ and played the tutorial dozens of times without internet
>moved onto watching the AO clip while extracting the game music, dreaming I was playing it as I listened
As an afterthought, I'm glad I didn't have internet until I was 15. I'd be one of those obsessed people if I had. My desperstion also taught me a lot about modding before it was cool. But it was black and white that truly let me grow, changing village and building types
>>
>>388804036
that must be what happened to my 8 year old self
>>
>>388799798
Were horrible in high end content until way down the timeline though.
>>
>>388803230
>not the Feerrot
>not sitting at the lizardmen camps grinding out their associated quests

Ogre's were maximum comfy
>>
>>388796728
I can't really explain why, but it actually felt like a real world. Maybe it's just because I was young.
>>
>>388799052
>Plus it was FILLED to the brim with desperate, single women who loved some cybersex/ERP with my then 14 year old self. I miss those old whores.

That was long enough ago... they might actually not have been men. But single? I always assumed they were white trash housewives.
>>
>>388805293
No, some were still men who pretended to be women for the handouts. I imagine the ratio then was much the same as it is now, people are just more aware of it. LOL no the ratio now is much more balanced then it was back in the early days before smart phones and wireless.
>>
>>388803186
>Dark Souls
>original
>>
>>388805220
Everyone fondly remembers their first mmo, but community is definitely the word to associate with Everquest. What games can compare?
>>388796728
We sure didn't play Everquest for its deep gameplay. The gameplay was extremely simplistic. The first post in this thread said it was like korean mmo grinding. That's technically true, just like saying that sex with the first person you love is just inserting tab a into slot b. Everquest the game in isolation wasn't anything special. The Everquest experience hasn't been matched.
>>
>>388805531
Women often played male characters and pretended to be men to avoid an annoying stream of tells. I couldn't even guess how many of those women cybered. I never had any interest in that myself.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.