[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

given the choice, would you rather play a procedural or a linear game?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

given the choice, would you rather play a procedural or a linear game?
>>
Linear
>>
>>388781674
>Would you rather play something that can occasionally be good but end up mostly being shit
>Or play a game that is designed to be good all the way through
Really makes you think.
>>
>>388782124
but games like subnautica and Mount & blade can be very entertaining, with people putting hudnreds of hours in them. That's oversimplifying things.
>>
>>388782224
Subnautica is not procedurally generated at all, and being able to have fun with something doesn't mean it's good either, I can have hours of fun with a piece of paper and a length of string, that hardly means it's a good game.

The thing with procedural games is that it's less about the game being fun and more about your ability to have fun with it, a difference that seems to be lost to more simple minds.
>>
>>388782468
it is not linear either though

call it open world or procedural, but it's not linear.
>>
>>388781674
Linear.
>>
>>388781674
Be more specific nigger. What aspect of the game is procedural or linear? Story, map, lore, etc...
>>
>>388782538
It definitely is linear, with branching paths.

You need to go through a linear series of steps to advance, you can only get the prawn suit in the aurora, you can only go deeper with the prawn suit, you can't enter the aurora without a radiation suit etc. etc.

The map is also 100% pre-generated with the only variance being the spawn locations of the larger hostiles, and that is only the specific location contained within a preset biome.
>>
combination of both is best but I haven't seen a game pull it off
>>
File: 1448595104442.jpg (246KB, 400x800px) Image search: [Google]
1448595104442.jpg
246KB, 400x800px
Linear. After a while of playing procedurally generated games, most of them start to feel like the same shit over and over again and unlike a linear game, it's not carefully hand-made.
>>
My problem with procedural games is they typically lack personality/depth
it gets difficult to keep concepts and ideas coherent when you throw a random number generator in there to create content
elements of the game are designed to work well with anything else that can be randomly generated, so you sort of just end up with either plenty of bland ideas that don't really stray too far away with one another
>>
How linear?
>>
File: 1394479510087.gif (3MB, 526x240px) Image search: [Google]
1394479510087.gif
3MB, 526x240px
>>388781674
Already played the best combo of both worlds
>>
I would play a really really well done version of Bloodborne's Chalice Dungeons. I already liked the ones in the game, but I know that it can be perfected a hell of a lot more. It would literally be the GOAT
>>
I would say procedural, if the value is max time value for re playability. Although I like Linear games with procedural elements added into them.

Complete Linear games tho never seem to be worth the bang for your buck nowadays.
>>
>>388781674
A linear story in a procedural world is ideal.
You get to fuck around and maybe build/destroy shit, then get back to the story whenever the fuck you want.
The problem with many open world games is that they don't really let you affect the world, only explore it with weak sauce side quests etc. Fallout 4 had the right idea with settlements, it was just too boring all around to really be good.
>>
>>388781674
no i wouldn't
>>
>>388781674

Procedural
If the gameplay is good its basicly endless content
>>
>>388781674

Linear. Easiest choice of my fucking life.
>>
>>388781674

Linear. Procedural shit is one of my biggest red flags.
>>
File: I tried.gif (4MB, 360x360px) Image search: [Google]
I tried.gif
4MB, 360x360px
I have a lot more fun playing linear games, but when done right procedural games can be just as entertaining. Mount and Blade was a good example that I now have to torrent again and ruin my sleep for, thanks motherfucker
>>
>>388785778

>procedural is le endless content meme

How can someone still fall for this lie in 2017. Haven't you learned yet?
>>
>>388785990

That's a pretty big butt.
>>
>>388781674
I want a procedurally generated game where the way it's generated is it just runs the game as an actual simulation only sped up 10000x.

all the stuff is actually persistent and the world can be destroyed like minecraft and AI will actually group and do stuff based on logical stuff that makes sense so your world naturally develops its own story before you even come into it.
>>
>>388786102
for you
>>
>>388781674
These aren't opposite choices, you know.
Procedural is made up as it goes along with some randomization of pre-built pieces slapped together. Linear means that there's either very few branching paths/loops and that the main goal is getting from A to B with very little to no deviation on the paths. You could very well have a randomized game that is straightforward.
>>
Procedural games done well are the apex of gaming in my opinion, the problem there are only a few of them, like Diablo 2. Linear games can be amazing as well and the best offer some of the most interesting and memorable maps of all time. Then on the flip side, poor linear maps are still going to be okay because there is at least a purpose the designer was going for. Lastly the poorly done procedural maps (Which account for a solid 90% of them I'd think) are at the bottom of the barrel. They're usually lazy and random to the extent that there is zero balance--either overpowering or underwhelming. Both have a lot to offer, but Diablo 2 I've put in over a thousand hours and still play to this day because it is the best procedurally generated game ever in my opinion.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.