[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do autists get triggered by empty space in an open world game?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 8

File: 7.jpg (38KB, 600x278px) Image search: [Google]
7.jpg
38KB, 600x278px
Why do autists get triggered by empty space in an open world game?
>>
Didn't we have this discussion last night?
>>
>>388776168
bump
>>
Because it has no good reason to exist. It only serves to pad out the game.
>>
They don't actually care, it's just something they can flip either way depending on if they like the game or not.

>New Vegas sucks the world is so empty
>GTAV is great the map is so big
>>
File: morrowind_days_by_snowskadi.jpg (698KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
morrowind_days_by_snowskadi.jpg
698KB, 1600x1200px
>>388776168
because they are too stupid to understand how to use the in-game editor
>too bluepilled to understand CHIM
>when they die they wont be able to create their own universe
>when they die they will live the same shitty life all over again
>>
>>388776168
Because walking from point a to point b isn't fun. Hell you might as well play something like Dear Esther if you like looking at the scenery and walking.
>>
>>388776168
new vegas doesn't have that much empty space
>>
>>388776168
Because the non-empty spaces have hardly any content or substance to justify those spaces existing. There isn't any contrast, everything is goddamn empty.
>>
>>388776432
>New Vegas
have to walk at a snails pace
>GTA V
Can get in a car and go fast and jump and in general have fun crossing the empty world.

funny how this works.
>>
Empty space just reminds you of the limited amount of stuff in the game. And that its just a construct with so much in it and it just somehow manages to make me feel empty as well.
>>
File: 1503342238760.jpg (97KB, 540x720px) Image search: [Google]
1503342238760.jpg
97KB, 540x720px
>>388776396
Sometimes atmosphere and integrity of atmosphere can override normal video game design principals, and in a game series known for its atmosphere and lore, why would they sacrifice atmosphere for the setting? Let's just fucking make new vegas a few foot steps from the player why don't we. Fuck, why not just make it a linear experiences, and show the traveling and player discussions in fucking cutscenes? I can't fucking stand you people.
>>
Only genuine spergs like these
>>388776396
>>388776475

believe it's bad. There's literally nothing wrong with an open world having empty space.
>>
>>388776432
There is less empty space in GTAV than New Vegas though. GTAV has something to interact with everywhere, be it a collectable, weapon, vehicle, wildlife, those drug plants etc.
>>
>boot up super mario bros
>have to walk for 10 minutes with absolutely nothing to do before I come across any obstacles
>>
File: 1497227794742.jpg (40KB, 600x485px) Image search: [Google]
1497227794742.jpg
40KB, 600x485px
We gotta stretch shit out, man. I want objectives to be 10000 miles apart from each other. Just grab all the content and spread it as thin as possible. Wide as an ocean, deep as a puddle, that's my kinda shit.
It's just so realistic and immersive, which is exactly how I determine the quality of my video games.
>>
>>388776779
>There's literally nothing wrong with an open world having empty space where its still fun to traverse said empty space.
Fixed for you. Sorry your precious NV is a slow slog of a game, but plenty of open world games know how to make it fun to cross the empty space. Stuff like Infamous or drving in GTA being a perfect examples.
>>
>>388777318
T. metroidvania cuck
>>
>>388776721
If I had my way with New Vegas, I would have removed the retarded walking around empty spaces with nothing and would have just made a map system with random encounters, just like Fallout 1 and 2.

Ironically enough, that's exactly what gives more immersion. Making it seem like there's a whole world out there that you are exploring, while not actually showing it at all.

That's why open worlds suck. Because they have this huge empty space where you're just walking around for the sake of "immersion" and nothing else. It's there to waste your time.
>>
>>388776168
Because most of the time, traversing this emptiness isn't enjoyable.
>>
>>388777290
What a retarded comparison. Expected from a 2D fag though.
>>
File: world map.png (1MB, 1602x949px) Image search: [Google]
world map.png
1MB, 1602x949px
>>388777538
If you're interested, Obsidian is working on Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire, and that's exactly what they're doing. You have a map system and then it only puts you in the real game when you find areas of interest. Pic related.
>>
File: 1483759510523.jpg (48KB, 962x773px) Image search: [Google]
1483759510523.jpg
48KB, 962x773px
>>388777910
I'm well aware, my man. I'm really looking forward to it. Pitched in 60 bucks on their campaign.
>>
>>388776396
>Because it has no good reason to exist.

Things don't need a good reason to exist in order to exist
>>
>>388776168
Because empty space, by definition, contains nothing of value or importance. It's like an intermission during a film, except you can't leave and come back when it's over.
>>
>>388778026
Yeah, they do. If I'm not enjoying walking through miles of empty space, you can cut them out. It's a waste on the developer's part that is actually making the game worse.
>>
>>388777538
In Fallout 1 and 2 you could stop anywhere on the map and it'd load an empty area to give the impression that you are walking across a massive empty wasteland. I think Arcanum did it too.
>>
>>388776491
autist
>>
>>388777663
>lol ur tarded
Explain why it's a bad comparison or fuck off, boy. As far as I care, walking and doing jack shit is the same in any number of dimensions.
>>
>>388778184
Nice argument.
>>
>>388778145
They never had anything in them and were just randomly generated places. They were just there for encounters.
>>
>>388778030
>comparing games to movies

Fuck off cinematic cuck
>>
>>388776168
The proper usage of empty space requires a learned sense of pacing and world design.
>>
>>388778218
Because you're literally comparing a linear game to an open world game you autistic faggot. How retarded can you be to compare two totally different gaming approaches?
>>
>>388776168
If it's not fun, why bother?
>>
>>388778649
Okay, replace "super mario bros" with "metroid". There you go. Your opinion still sucks.
>>
Because it's boring, and I don't play games to be bored
>>
>>388776168

I loved it in San Andreas because of all the mystery and stuff. All the legends and myths you could spend time trying to find, real or not.

Data mining and the modern internet as a whole has ruined the fun of these kinds of games. Now people get dissatisfied if they aren't shoving shit for you to shoot or blow up into that space.
>>
>>388776168

The real reason is simple.

It's fucking boring. It's empty, there is nothing to do there and at the very best you'll totally ignore it but at worse it will actively lessen your enjoyment of a video game.

Boring is the antithesis of what a video game should be.
>>
Mad Max '15 did empty big open spaces right.
>>
File: atoptheguela.jpg (90KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
atoptheguela.jpg
90KB, 1024x768px
>>388776168
Because people in the cities can't understand that there are places in the world with empty space. That guess what, 99% of earths surface is empty space. The entire world is not covered in bear, world, or shark packs. Games shouldn't have to be filled to the brim with the same, unless its a warriors game. Plus some of that empty space allows for a bit of breather between enemy areas. It would be far more annoying to just constantly walking through a field of corpses to every destination. Never having a chance to explore and take in something some detail a designer placed in because there are now 10 bodies on top of it.
>>
>>388776168

It's hard for them to rationalize large open spaces. If you are talking with someone who is very against the concept, then in all likelihood you are talking to someone with autism. Please be patient with them!
>>
File: cole phelps cosplay.jpg (357KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
cole phelps cosplay.jpg
357KB, 1280x960px
>>388780007
As someone who lives in the American Southwest where there's miles upon miles of absolute fucking nothing, I despise playing an open world game with next to nothing between areas/objectives

In general I would prefer if more open world games included verticality instead of wide stretches of land everywhere. I thought BOTW would finally fix this issue but all the cliffs face empty plains and it takes forever to climb up mountains so it doesn't solve anything
>>
>>388776168
god forbid i get something meaningful to do in my videogames
>>
>>388780460
BOTW could have been a treasure trove of cliffside caves, temples entrenched in mountainsides. But there's hardly any subterranean activity so all the varied terrain is really good for is changing altitude to accompany changing temperatures
>>
>>388780007
I understand that that's how it works in the real world. That doesn't mean it should be how it works in video games. It's fucking boring.
>>
>>388776482
You're absolutely right. Most of it is filled up with invisible walls.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.