[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why don't VR controllers look like this?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

File: 1487309281901.png (222KB, 558x398px) Image search: [Google]
1487309281901.png
222KB, 558x398px
Why don't VR controllers look like this?
>>
>>388703960
Because motion tracking isn't that simple tard, and what good would tracking your fingers be if there's no feedback on what you're holding?
>>
so vive or oculus?

i figure go with the one provided by steam themselves but idk
>>
>>388704221
Vive because it's vastly more functional than Oculus, and because Vive is fun by an ever so slightly less pile of shit company.
>>
>>388704272
but more expensive
>>
>>388704272
>fun by
Meant run by.
>>
>>388704272
>vastly more functional
The only function it has over oculus is the forward facing camera. Do you really think this is worth the extra $200?
>>
>>388704272
how long should i wait before i purchase?
considering if they ever drop another generation of vr products. i want to get it now but i cant justify dropping $600 or so just to play the like 4 or so games out for vr.
>>
>>388704221

Wait a year and get the Oculus V2.

The controller is going to be your biggest hurdle for immersion and the oculus touch beats the pants off of anything on the market. Baring severe canine colitus, the next gen version will be the best experience.
>>
>>388704221
Oculus is cheaper and has better games (which are exclusives.)

Steams VR library is dreadful.

>>388704272
>slightly
this is the keyword here

>>388703960
there are controllers that look like this out already
>>
>>388704318
If you have enough disposable income to afford spending money on the VR meme, an extra 200 for a better product shouldn't be a problem.

>>388704389
Vive's controllers are better IMO, and yes a front facing camera is also worth it. Doesn't help that Oculus is owned by an already shitty company, made even shittier by trying to push their own shitty store by locking their store's games from Vive users.

>>388704445
Previous owner of Oculus and current owner of Vive here. I wouldn't buy either. The existing games don't justify the price, and I personally think VR is a fad that will die off and leave you with a paperweight. Not at all worth it.
>>
>>388704792
>vives controllers are better

You're not talking about the fucking television remotes with the trackpads are you?

>existing games don't justify the price

is this bait?
>>
>>388704908
>most VR games that currently exist are glorified tech demos
>the actually fun/interesting ones are few and far between
It is not bait, VR is not nearly as good as people are trying to make it out to be.
>>
>>388704792
>Vive's controllers are better IMO
That's an opinion. One that a lot of people disagree with, actually. It's a pretty common claim that the Rift's are more comfortable, and HTC is even developing new controllers to be more like the Rift's. They're also copying the Rift's rigid headstrap for the same reason: it's more comfortable. Enjoy spending $100-200 more just to have the same level of comfort as the cheaper product.
>>
>>388705001
>IMO
>That's an opinion
You don't say
>>
>>388704987
What games have you played?
>>
>>388704120
The tracking would be based on the axis of your fingers.
>>
File: VRgluv+Oculus+Vive.png (242KB, 1000x231px) Image search: [Google]
VRgluv+Oculus+Vive.png
242KB, 1000x231px
>>388703960
VRgluv is a thing that is coming.
It looks really cumbersome though and there is also the fact that your hands may get sweaty while playing which I can't imagine being easy to clean.
>>
>>388705092
Yeah, the subject was functionality, not opinions.
>>
>>388705001
This.
Vive was ahead in terms of controllers and hardware so Oculus just copied them and improved it, now Vive is playing catch up.

Though Vive still has better sensors that don't need an extra amount of fuckery to achieve 360 degree tracking.
>>
I love the Power Glove.
>>
>virtual reality
>its literally just a screen glued to your face
genius shit bros
>>
>>388705434
every thread
>>
>>388705352
This thing was uncomfortable as fuck to use
>>
File: druidHandCode.jpg (58KB, 534x309px) Image search: [Google]
druidHandCode.jpg
58KB, 534x309px
>>388703960
Wasn't this already tried in an old sierra game called "Robinhood: Conquest of the Longbow" and it kinda sucked.
>>
File: knuck2[1].jpg (43KB, 620x352px) Image search: [Google]
knuck2[1].jpg
43KB, 620x352px
Vive knuckles is tackling finger "tracking".
>>
>>388704221
I have an oculus (bought the bundle for 300 on amazon that comes with everything, and then bought a 3rd sensor for 60).

The difference isn't worth the extra 200 bucks (or 300, if amazon has that deal again). The vive is better with it's lighthouse tracking, and less usbs you have to plug in (but more power cords), and front facing camera. But those positives are very slight, and even neligible. 3 sensor tracking is extremely precise if you have clear room space, usbs aren't too annoying if you thread it out, and you don't always need an expansion card for USBs (I don't have one, and I have 3 sensors AND a driving wheel, it depends on your mobo).

The front facing camera is very good for games that utilize it (something similar to AR), but not many do, that's the problem.

VR is extremely cool if you're into tech, if you expect full fledged games, there aren't too many (maybe around 10-20). It's growing tech.

I understand why people hate rift, but a lot of oculus only games are fully funded by facebook, and without the money, there wouldn't be games like Lone Echo that push full VR games.

Really, the only people that would say Vive over Rift at this point are diehard fanboys who need to justify the purchase (it's so bad where vive fanboys made bots that automatically downvote any thread in the oculus subreddit, and the vive subreddit consists of people talking shit about the rift). If you have expendable income where 200-300 dollars doesn't matter to you, go buy the vive, otherwise there's no reason not to get the rift instead.
>>
>>388703960
I'd imagine that'd be so uncomfortable and sweaty.
>>
File: 1503977476625.jpg (65KB, 426x364px) Image search: [Google]
1503977476625.jpg
65KB, 426x364px
>launch virtualdesktop
>put on HMD
>lay in bed looking up at a virtual screen
>watch movies, shitpost on the internet, and play emulated games without having to strain my neck to see my screen
maximum comfy
>>
>>388705434
This. In current state, VR is fucking pointless. It's just like an electric toothbrush, only good for masturbating.
>>
>>388705562
that was also like 25 years ago and not VR
>>
>>388703960
SHAWN
SHAWN
SHAWN
SHAWN
>>
Actually they exist, but they aren't really useful because if you don't have buttons at all how will you do some more complex shit that you can't do it your tiny basement like walking through the level or just activate menus? so just gloves won't work.

The Valve Knuckle controllers are the most perfect hybrid so far between a normal motion controller and a VR glove, they offer full finger tracking and just enough other buttons and touchpads that will actually allow you to do some shit
>>
>>388706252
using the same bait every single year despite how outdated it is isn't gonna get you many replies
>>
>>388704221
The Vive is built around fundamentally better technology with how it approaches IR tracking.
>>
>>388703960
Because of sweat and cumstains
A solid plastic controller is way easier to clean
>>
>>388708881
But from an end-user perspective it doesn't make enough difference to warrant the $200 extra cost.
>>
>>388710619
Depending on your setup it totally can. The lighthouse base stations are much easier to work with and scale to new or different devices better.
>>
>>388703960
Technology is filled with stuff, it's not light and magic.
>>
>>388706187
Enjoy muscle distrophy
>>
>>388711201
I will, thanks.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.