[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why doesn't /v/ like to play games with permadeath enabled?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5

File: hardcore mode.png (64KB, 697x262px) Image search: [Google]
hardcore mode.png
64KB, 697x262px
Why doesn't /v/ like to play games with permadeath enabled?
>>
>>388685540
>having to deal with the anxiety and stress of dying permanently in muh escapism
Waste of time and progress, to be honest.
>>
File: SATAN 3.jpg (43KB, 666x666px) Image search: [Google]
SATAN 3.jpg
43KB, 666x666px
>Play on Normal.
>Too easy? Restart. Crank that shit up.
>Beat it.
>Beat it on the highest setting.
>Beat it again for kicks.
>Play Hardcore whenever the fuck you wanna play.

Endless replay value. You're welcome.
>>
Softcore just isn't engaging.

>feel dumb for corpsewalking bosses
>feel dumb for not corpsewalking bosses

It's a lose-lose.
>>
Fuck no. I savescum hard as fuck in XCOM, I hate losing dudes
>>
>>388685540
Because it just inevitably leads to either savescumming or fucking yourself over so hard that you need to restart the game.
>>
>>388687598
How does it feel to be a huge fucking cuck? You're ruining the experience.
>>
>>388685540
Spermadeath is for faggot Roguekikes.
Real men savescum.
>>
>>388685540
It depends if the game's balanced for hardcore (like XCOM is) or if it's just meaningless dickwaving.
>>
it's literally gambling
except instead of money, it's time
>>
>>388687692
Only retards savescum. You're supposed to sweat bullets trying to survive. If you die, whatever. There's a high that goes with every death.
>>
File: MY SIDES ARE MELTING.jpg (87KB, 666x666px) Image search: [Google]
MY SIDES ARE MELTING.jpg
87KB, 666x666px
>>388687829
>>388687882
>>388687886
Plebs.
>>
>>388687957
And then you end up having to replay the entire game because you got yourself into an unwinnable situation. Nice. That's a lot of fun.
>>
>>388686347
>Dude, just play the game again, lmao
>Endless replay value. You're welcome.
Wow, anon. You have shown me the light. Why didn't I think of that?
>>
Most games aren't designed for playing with permadeath on, so permadeath mode is just fucking stupid unless its a repeat play through.
>>
>>388687886

Pretty much. I got up to about Paragon 250 on a Hardcore Seasonal character once before just quitting. I'd rather just dick and experiment with builds in Normal and not worry about losing a bunch of progress just because a build didn't mesh out as I thought it might.
>>
Depends on the game. Permadeath in roguelikes makes sense. Permadeath as an extra mode in other games tends to be shit because the games are long, repeating content is tedious and permadeath encourages safe strategies that kill all the fun.
>>
>>388688034
It is if you love the game. Don't be such a pussy. You get a huge high after barely surviving a massive fight. It's worth it. Would you rather your tenth playthrough be boring as fuck? You can marathon Dead Space 2 in a single sitting. Shit's enjoyable as fuck.
>>
>>388688230
Just slot in your stupid don't-die-when-you'd-die ability and it's fine! D3 HC is stupid.
>>
>>388688176
You seem like a casual.

>>>/vp/

Don't come back.
>>
>>388688351
It's not challenging, it's tedious. You either savescum or restart the entire game after a death. Neither is fun at all. And who the fuck plays games ten times through?
>>
>>388688515
It's disgusting that I have to share /v/ with casuals like you.
>>
if it's something like a roguelike (and i mean actual roguelikes, not stuff like isaac) then it's great because the whole point is to learn how to play better until you get so good that you can win almost every time
in a game like your example, terraria, it's horrible because a single save can take up to 100 hours (or more) to do everything and it's very easy to die in a brief moment from carelessness. made even worse by the amount of grinding you need to do to get better stuff
>>
>>388685540
Pemadeath in terraria is fucking ridiculous, the game is already hard as it is, the perfect balance is mediumcore, where you just get punished hard but still can recover.
>>
>>388688635
You could always just go back to your favorite subreddit.
>>
>>388688707
>>388688736
Permadeath exists for replay value. It's the shit you play after you've mastered the game. Your main file's fucking loaded. It's to make shit fun again. You're not expected to survive. The entire point is to die trying. Also, not every game does it well.
>>
File: SATAN 2.jpg (155KB, 666x666px) Image search: [Google]
SATAN 2.jpg
155KB, 666x666px
>>388688956
Been here since 2007. I remember the shitstorm after IGN gave HAZE a 4.5. Kill yourself.
>>
The only time I'll ever die in a game is because of bugs.
>>
>>388689131
Liar.
>>
>>388689131
Go play MHFU a try not to cart, unless you are the world's most skilled MH veteran you WILL die.
>>
>>388689058
I've had server disconnections, lag, and games crash on me that support a 'hardcore' mode like Diablo 3, Path of Exile, and Terraria. It's just not reliable enough for me to consider losing hundreds of hours thanks to a hardware issue.
>>
>>388689058
Essentially what youre asking is why people dont do no death runs of games they love. There are many reasons why they wouldnt such as the games being too long, the games having filler, too much rng and that they become boring and defensive when your goal is just survival. And if youre not expecting to beat the game without dying eventually what is the point?
>>
>>388689131
Easy on the carrots
>>
File: 1374213205172.jpg (25KB, 443x388px) Image search: [Google]
1374213205172.jpg
25KB, 443x388px
>>388689506
>network/server problems
This is the big legit one for me in any game with an online component or that is a long enough time sink. Some of us are still in areas with really garbage internet. I actually really love hardcore in games where it's good, but as a practical matter I just can't count on it being down to my own skill or even in-game RNG. That I'm fine with. But getting fucked due to IRL RNG/politics/economics isn't what I play for.

>>388689550
>Essentially what youre asking
Not that anon but he clearly didn't, he said at the end specifically
>Also, not every game does it well.
which is a very true and important qualifier. "Hardcore" has no inherent value anymore then any other feature, it's a tool that CAN be used for great fun in the hands of a skilled dev, or alternatively can just be tiresome bullshit in the hands of a dev adding it just to have another bullet point on the feature list.
>>
>>388689203
>>388689346
>>388689654
he probably just plays casual shit games. bet he's never even touched something truly hyper hardcore like tetris.
>>
>>388689506
That's understandable. I don't play that shit online.

>>388689550
You're supposed to be a practiced killer by that point. There's a chance you win. Also, playing like a turtle is for autistic retards. When there's little risk, push it.
>>
Depends on the game.
I don't mind permadeath in roguelikes or games like Fire Emblem (not that I won't restart as soon as I fuck up and get a character killed), but something like Terraria?
Ehh, not my cup of tea.
>>
>>388690116
You've spent your entire life ruining Fire Emblem for yourself. How's it feel to be fucking retarded?
>>
>>388690205
>You've spent your entire life ruining Fire Emblem for yourself.
How?
Not like I savescum on an emulator, if I fuck up I just replay the mission/level from the beginning.
With some exceptions, like Peri.
>>
>>388690359
OK. How's it feel to be fucking retarded? You've spent your entire life ruining Fire Emblem for yourself.
>>
>>388690359
Answer me, you pig.
>>
>>388685716
fpbp
I ain't got time to start over again over something so trivial
>>
>>388685540
Because lots of games involve random elements, lags, bugs, etc. which can cause death.
>>
>>388692521
Your mom's random.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.